Texas vs. #1 Alabama

Pancho

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

After watching that Dallas Turner hit again…….fuck that guy, he knew exactly what he was doing

I'm even more pissed that Jamison didn't return the favor to Bryce, if that's the way Bama's defense wanted to play all game.  Yes, not classy or smart to levy a hit like that and draw flags in critical territory, but let's share desserts and the scoreboard could have remained the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m only through the first half of rewatch.  I was at game and first time I’m watching on TV.  Wow,  I knew there were a lot of bad calls in the game…..but how many fucking more missed calls is unbelievable seeing it on the broadcast.   Got damnit Auburn.  

For a defensive player…Anderson sure enjoyed lining up on our side of the field. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

Bullet, go look at what he posted and you can clearly see the Bama rb circled, which the stupid refs clearly thought Young was throwing towards as he was going down. He’s close enough for a smooth brain ref to think Young could actually complete that pass. Hell, the rb he was throwing to actually gave up because like everyone else watching, he knew Young was down. 

Well maybe a stupid ref could think that.  But what I said still stands.  There weren't any eligible or ineligible receivers on that half of the end zone and Young was throwing it towards a spot 5 yards deep in the end zone.  Young wasn't looking at anyone.  He was upside down (and down).

10 hours ago, Constant said:

If they want to say he wasn’t down, thats one thing. Probably wrong, but so close it’s hard to really tell. 

As far as intentional grounding goes, he was outside the tackle box from what I can tell. 

AC65A28B-80F3-47B0-9849-20C7FFE90A56.jpeg

F6C037C4-549B-4036-8AE6-D3A3FDBE95C0.jpeg

He’s still holding the ball in that second picture outside the tackle box. 

The ball must reach the line of scrimmage or have and receiver in the area. The ball went out of bounds in the end zone. Therefore intentional grounding should have been called. Intentional grounding in your end zone is a safety. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

The refs were more worried about calling targeting on overshown to get him out of the game than looking for young being down. It never occurred to the ref to check to see if young was down. Intentional grounding cannot be called on review. 

how any ref could have thought there was targeting on the play when the quarterbacks head is on the ground and the defensive player flies over through the qbs ankles I will never know. Nothing about the play was even remotely close to targeting. 

• Hook 'Em 5

23 minutes ago, bullet said:

Well maybe a stupid ref could think that.  But what I said still stands.  There weren't any eligible or ineligible receivers on that half of the end zone and Young was throwing it towards a spot 5 yards deep in the end zone.  Young wasn't looking at anyone.  He was upside down (and down).

22 minutes ago, BB65 said:

The ball must reach the line of scrimmage or have and receiver in the area. The ball went out of bounds in the end zone. Therefore intentional grounding should have been called. Intentional grounding in your end zone is a safety. 

What are y’all watching? #2 for Alabama is standing just outside the end zone and that’s exactly where Young tried to throw it. Except it hit Overshown in the head and that’s why it went out of bounds in the end zone.

The whole play is ridiculous but they actually got the call “correct” - no roughing, no targeting, no intentional grounding - they just missed that his leg was down before the throw.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, justhookit said:

What are y’all watching? #2 for Alabama is standing just outside the end zone and that’s exactly where Young tried to throw it. Except it hit Overshown in the head and that’s why it went out of bounds in the end zone.

The whole play is ridiculous but they actually got the call “correct” - no roughing, no targeting, no intentional grounding - they just missed that his leg was down before the throw.

image.gif

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

Despite the loss, some changes are obvious:

D#: wow they played their hearts out. Outside of a couple of big runs (one for TD), they held Bama to 20 points and gave us a chance till the very last play.

Disciple and Team work: Texas looks like a much better squad as a team despite so many new faces. That goes a long way. The fans saw it and cheered the team while losing a heartbreaker. 

One thing staying the same: Big 12 refs incompetence especially against Texas.

Why do you say incompetence when they were not consistent with their “skills”?

It’s not incompetence or ineptitude, it’s deliberate fuckery. To not even review a controversial scoring play like the safety? Are you obtuse?

Texas is not the only victim of refs fuckery but please do not excuse their actions as a competence issue. Not in a tight game and passing on the opportunity to review. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

After watching that Dallas Turner hit again…….fuck that guy, he knew exactly what he was doing

The new rule needs to be that if a player is hurt on a roughing passer, targeting, or unsportman penalty the offender is suspended for as it takes for victim to play again.  That will cut out the fuckery real quick.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

This is totally the right answer, and I told my girlfriend this exact same thing when it happened.

The flip side to that had they called the safety they damn sure would review from every angle and possibly some invented angles to overturn the call. For Texas to beat Bama yesterday they had to beat two teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BB65 said:

The refs were more worried about calling targeting on overshown to get him out of the game than looking for young being down. It never occurred to the ref to check to see if young was down. Intentional grounding cannot be called on review. 

how any ref could have thought there was targeting on the play when the quarterbacks head is on the ground and the defensive player flies over through the qbs ankles I will never know. Nothing about the play was even remotely close to targeting. 

There was so much wrong there. Like the intersection of too many wrongs to make it something something. the ref explanation was confusing as fuck after it.

• Hook 'Em 1

They just said on 104.9 that once the ref called targeting, it could not be reviewed for a potential safety. The idiot who called roughing/targeting screwed up the play and by rule, they should have advanced the ball 15 yards. By not advancing the ball, they were admitting that they totally screwed up. It really was the worst reffing I’ve seen from Big 12 officials and that’s saying a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, BB65 said:

The last call that was that bad was against Okie St when one of our defensive lineman got called for holding.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, jinx said:

I’m still pissed. My Bama friends (yes I have some unfortunately) best keep their distance or watch their words around me for a couple of weeks. Fuck that Guy for sure.

I’m also sick of all of the “legal hit” people. I heard Bucky say it in the post game and Eric Nahlin say it too as well as the usual internet trolls. It was illegal for the exact reason Ewers is out for  4-6 weeks. 

It's not a legal hit.  You cannot drive the quarterback into the ground.  I don't think it's targeting or an ejection, but it's roughing the passer 100% of the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

One thing that has been said about the play of Alabama from national media was that they were usually mistake prone and that Texas got lucky in many respects, but especially with the drops by the Bama receivers.  While it is true that that there were about 3 drops drops by the receivers of Bama, I think Texas had just as many between a couple from Jordan, one by Worthy, not to mention the wiff tackle on the last Bama drive or failure of Sark to call time out and reset things for the end of half field goal or the int drop bay Jamison.  I think the timing of all of these drops/plays was critical and all could have reasonably resulted in gain or loss of points if not directly and I think Texas had more of those than Alabama.

While Alabama also had more penalties, I can not think of a single one where I thought the call was questionable.  Even the Bama blindside hit penalty was previously offset by an even less aggregeous blindside Texas block.  Likewise, I think all penalties called on Texas had merit.  In fact, I think the only truly stupid penalties that were mental errors by Bama were the above block and the flagged hit after the play on the TE.  All the others had a forced error aspect (off sides) or a a definite purpose such as intentional injury or play mitigation.  Alabama knew what they were doing and it was intentional and purposeful.  It was not an undisciplined team early in the season out of its element or a team caught off guard by non SEC officials. 

I can only recall one penalty that could have been called on Texas (that wasn't) and I didn't see it, but Klatt mentioned some possible defensive holding over the middle of the field on a a play in the first half.  Counter that with:

1. Of course, I think the non safety call was nonsense, but that has been discussed to death.

2. The missed face mask call on Robinson, I found to be the equally bad.  I would have preferred that the Bama player not done it at all.  If that happens, I think Robinson gets at least two more yds and possibly the first down.  The fact that the face mask was instrumental in reducing the yardage on the play has not really been discussed much.  That is a call that must be made, not only because it is a penalty but because it had a huge bearing on the play and the rest of the game.

Additionally, the non call messed up what could have been an epic Texas victory or an even more epic Bama comeback.

3. PI in the endzone non call.

I'm going to call offensive holding a wash, since I don't thin a single one was called on either team the whole game.

In the end I think the narrative should be that Alabama was lucky that Texas committed more unforced errors,  got a huge advantage (at least 3 to 1)in critical obvious non calls, and of course altered the game on a dirty purposeful hit on our starting qb....again.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, justhookit said:

Some of you are pretty gullible.  Do you really think Young was throwing it at anyone???  He was being flipped over, upside down and did a deliberate grounding.  Yes, a ref could have given him credit because a guy was 10 yards away from where it landed, but that would not be a rational interpretation of the play.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, bullet said:

Some of you are pretty gullible.  Do you really think Young was throwing it at anyone???  He was being flipped over, upside down and did a deliberate grounding.  Yes, a ref could have given him credit because a guy was 10 yards away from where it landed, but that would not be a rational interpretation of the play.

Whether he was knowingly throwing towards an eligible receiver has no bearing. Did the throw go in the direction of an eligible receiver or not?  That is what the officials decide.  Or, if it is deflected before the direction can be ascertained, a different set of rules takes over. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Bama fan here:

I thought the officiating was atrocious. Even contemplating targeting on Young's safety/non-safety/grounding/whatever was stupid. The facemask no-call discussed above was egregious and must be called for player safety. I saw at least two uncalled pass interferences during the game where the Bama defender created contact and broke up the pass. One was on a potential TD. 

I also thought one of the off-sides calls on Will Anderson that gave Texas a first down early in the game was a joke. If it was lining up in the neutral zone, I felt like both teams did that all day long. 

I also thought everybody was holding. I just think the referees lost all control of the game very early on with some terrible calls. 

long story short: I thought Bama benefitted from some really terrible officiating.

Its the Big 12.  They don't call holding on the offense on passing plays.  But they will call it on defensive linemen!

10 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

I just think the referees lost all control of the game very early on with some terrible calls. 

I've seen some fans say the refs were favoring AL (and it did turn out in AL's favor), but I don't think it was favoritism on the part of that crew.  It's just complete incompetence and it's par for the course with this crew. 

As soon as I saw that clown the the huge biceps and safety glasses (scott campbell), I knew the officiating was going to be a joke.  I seriously don't understand how he still has a job at this level.  To be fair, I don't know how much of the problem is him vs. other guys on that crew blowing these calls, but whenever he's in charge, it's always an officiating shit show.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, blutow said:

I've seen some fans say the refs were favoring AL (and it did turn out in AL's favor), but I don't think it was favoritism on the part of that crew.  It's just complete incompetence and it's par for the course with this crew. 

As soon as I saw that clown the the huge biceps and safety glasses (scott campbell), I knew the officiating was going to be a joke.  I seriously don't understand how he still has a job at this level.  To be fair, I don't know how much of the problem is him vs. other guys on that crew blowing these calls, but whenever he's in charge, it's always an officiating shit show.  

4471FB14-CD0C-4BC0-9D8A-55F3B0B6DA2B.thumb.jpeg.722c637e2eb33ca925b531d12335f9a9.jpeg

This Scott Cambell?  He don’t got no time to be studying officiating!

3 minutes ago, blutow said:

I don't think they intended to favor Alabama but I thought they were just all around terrible. 

4 minutes ago, blutow said:

As soon as I saw Campbell, I thought the same thing.  This game actually flowed pretty well, but usually his crew just muddies the waters so bad the games are not even worth watching.

It's almost like they go out of their way to find penalties that aren't really there or that don't affect the play and then just ignore the important stuff that is right in front of them.

Still pissed about the Robinson face mask. You just have to call that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, bullet said:

It has nothing to do with where it landed. The fucking ball bounced off Overshown’s head. And it’s very clear from the back of the end zone view that he sees and is throwing right at #2. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well the targeting call on the (non) safety  followed by the review guy being unable to see the qbs leg was down were not incompetence.   That’s straight up fuckery on a game changing play.   The subsequent fuck-ups might be incompetence but I doubt it.    

I don’t think they were there to protect Alabama’s path to the playoff.  Why would they give a shit?  Pretty obvious the b12 anti Texas is stronger than ever.    A little surprised they would do it on such a big stage … 

edit.   The review guy might be from the SEC so that probably explains why they didn’t call the safety via review.  

8 minutes ago, CoTex said:

When is the next RV road trip and how do I sign up?  Is the answer Tuscaloosa ‘23?

I will 100% be in Tuscaloosa next year. I live in Nashville, so it's an easy drive for me. My wife went to Bama, so I've been to Tuscaloosa with her for several games over the past 11 years that we've been together, and as much as I hate to admit it their gameday atmosphere is awesome. We need to get as much burnt orange on that campus as possible next year. It will be a blast (especially since Ewers is gonna throw for 500+ to get back at them for this year). 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Well the targeting call on the (non) safety  followed by the review guy being unable to see the qbs leg was down were not incompetence.   That’s straight up fuckery on a game changing play.   The subsequent fuck-ups might be incompetence but I doubt it.    

I don’t think they were there to protect Alabama’s path to the playoff.  Why would they give a shit?  Pretty obvious the b12 anti Texas is stronger than ever.    A little surprised they would do it on such a big stage … 

edit.   The review guy might be from the SEC so that probably explains why they didn’t call the safety via review.  

Don't think they can rule it a safety on review.  However, calling a targeting on a player who barely brushed by the QB, and the contact wasn't the head of either player, is criminally bad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Don't think they can rule it a safety on review.  However, calling a targeting on a player who barely brushed by the QB, and the contact wasn't the head of either player, is criminally bad.

As the targeting call was made, Overshown was standing upright and Young was on his head. It was physically impossible for either of them to have made contact above the neck and shoulders of the other player. That was the absolute worst targeting/roughing call I have ever seen.

• Like 1