Texas vs. #1 Alabama

Pancho

11 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Pass interference isn’t a dirty play. It’s a last-resort-after-you-got-beat play.  Does the same cheater label apply to us too when we interfere?    

No, but the refs not calling that PI or the other one, or the safety, or the facemask, or the multiple holds is what most people are upset about. It's perfectly understandable for the beaten DB to then intentionally interfere to prevent the TD. Not calling that obvious PI, however, is not at all defensible in any way.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wood said:

No, but the refs not calling that PI or the other one, or the safety, or the facemask, or the multiple holds is what most people are upset about. It's perfectly understandable for the beaten DB to then intentionally interfere to prevent the TD. Not calling that obvious PI, however, is not at all defensible in any way.

Without a doubt it was a poorly officiated game.  I was frustrated too. But it can be that without all the hyperbole and conspiracy theories.  

Thrre will be no Tide v Horns rematch this season, although I’d love to see one. If Bama plays with the same game plan, intensity and focus, we won’t win in Fayetteville or Knoxville or make the playoff. But what do I know? I only told everyone I knew last week we’d be lucky to leave DKR with a one-point win. Too bad I quit betting sports 20 years ago. Fuck it. Roll Tide and Hook Em.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Without a doubt it was a poorly officiated game.  I was frustrated too. But it can be that without all the hyperbole and conspiracy theories.  

Without the bizarre safety play it would have just been a poorly officiated game.

There isn't a reasonable explanation for the flag being thrown to begin with. Not calling grounding makes zero sense. Targeting without roughing makes absolutely no sense in that circumstance.  Not reviewing for the safety makes zero sense.  It is really hard to get to a simple "poorly officiated" through all that.

• Hook 'Em 7

21 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

Thrre will be no Tide v Horns rematch this season, although I’d love to see one. If Bama plays with the same game plan, intensity and focus, we won’t win in Fayetteville or Knoxville or make the playoff. But what do I know? I only told everyone I knew last week we’d be lucky to leave DKR with a one-point win. Too bad I quit betting sports 20 years ago. Fuck it. Roll Tide and Hook Em.

Such a weird post. Alabama is bad, Texas can't possibly be good is your takeaway from the game? 

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

And this is where you are wrong. It wasn’t a “poorly officiated game”.  A poorly officiated game would result in a bunch of randomly timed, randomly assessed penalties that over the course if a game would pretty much even out and effect both teams about the same.  This is not what happened in this game and if you believe that it did any rational conversation with you is useless.

The “conspiracy theories” are not based on any one play or call.  It is based on a history  of years of games with B12 refs and this officiating crew in specific. This crew has, over numerous games, affected the outcome of Texas games at by making and missing critical, game altering calls.  This is a fact.  

Take a look at  chart below. Look at it closely.  25 games over 3 years. 19 of those 25 games with us getting more penalties than the opponent.  Does that sound like random “poor officiating” effecting both sides to you or do you think that warrants a deeper dive conversation about what is going on?

038E0AD9-7825-42F5-899C-C01D72AFC723.jpeg.88ac03ff9359b40ad1c45a74ecfdc97a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was surprised both agreed to use Rig 12 Refs.    I thought for sure we’d have SEC Refs like we did against LSU a few years ago for which that crew did a great job compared this clown crew.   Or neutrals from one of the other P5s.   But I’m glad a huge audience got to see first hand what incompetence we’ve had to deal with in regards to officiating and it’s just not Longhorn fans always bellyaching and blaming the Refs.  Even some certified Longhorn haters conceded we got jobbed on a number of critical calls that certainly could have been more points for us and thus the winning margin. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My take watching the review live was that it wasn't reviewable and the ref was trying to figure out a way to overturn because it was such a shit call.. that he made up the the bit about it being explained incorrectly so he could overturn it.
By the time he figured a way out, he just went with it and neglected to review the safety, or decided in the moment that he'd already bent the rules a bit and left it at that.
Have no idea if im right, but that's what I was thinking in the moment.

It was a distraction to make people focus on the bullshit call while they ignored the actual infraction.

The same stunt this crew pulled last year when woods ran out of bounds. They ignored it, ignored the officials marker, and focused on something else.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Shaggyhorn said:

I think LlamaBamaDingDong is saying Bama is going to get beat up in the SEC and won’t make the playoff. Nothing directly disparaging about Texas.

Exactamundo, sir, with all due respect to the normally razor- insightful Immamac. BAsed on Saturday, Texas is on the rise, as are Hogs and Vols. Bama? Jury is still out but as long as that angry little man is pacing the sidelines, I have hope.

12 hours ago, Domedriver said:

I am rewatching the game and I am amazed about how dirty Bama played in the 1st quarter alone.  Three plays stand out:

1) Blatant Pass Interference on Sanders in the Endzone, cost us a TD!

2) The Facemask on Worthy on the long completion.  Worthy caught the long ball despite the interference and facemask!

3) The body slam that took QE out of the game when he was shredding Bama’s D.  It was a deliberate hit to injure our quarterback and take him out of the game.

Bama played dirty!  Fuck Bama in their cheating asses!  And fuck Saban for being a dirty cheating AssHat!  An fuck the whole state of Alabama!

i hope we play them again with some decent Refs and beat the ever living shit out of them!

I do think the Ewers slam into the turf was dirty and probably thought to the Bama players.  The rest of the penalties were Bama saying fuck it let’s see what the refs will let us get away with and the refs just did a horrible job of controlling the game.  Poorly officiated game all around.  The refs just didn’t have the guts to hold Bama accountable.  

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It was a distraction to make people focus on the bullshit call while they ignored the actual infraction.

The same stunt this crew pulled last year when woods ran out of bounds. They ignored it, ignored the officials marker, and focused on something else.

Whichever ref called the targeting on O should never ref a game again period.  He’s either straight cheating or completely incompetent.  Either way he should retire immediately.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Whichever ref called the targeting on O should never ref a game again period.  He’s either straight cheating or completely incompetent.  Either way he should retire immediately.  

Um, he did his job as directed. They are not incompetent, they are just corrupt.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Watch the Quinn hit at full speed instead of slo-mo. It’s not reasonable to apply any analysis of it based on slow motion. The whole thing was over in half a second. People are claiming in that half second he had the awareness to grab his arm, force the fall a certain way, etc…. It’s embarrassing.  It was roughing and they called it roughing. It happened way faster than most of you are replaying in your heads.  

The first clip is from same game and  of a defender recognizing that  Ewers is getting rid of the ball and pulling up.  He is about 0.5 yards away when the ball is released and he pulls out of the hit.

The second pic is of the hit that took Eyers out at the second the ball leaves his hand. Defender is 1.5-2 yards from Mullet when the ball is released. 

He absolutely had time to pull out of a full weight power drive on Ewers but chose not to.  

E8834F38-0153-49AA-99B7-79AC72811C16.thumb.jpeg.29b64620bc9bdb39e87642bfe7996905.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

Why don't coaches have a rules analyst in the booth/sidelines who can print out parts of the rulebook when the refs tell them shit that is literally wrong and not the rule? 

If I was sark I would have gotten ejected before letting the game continue over the safety 2 points being taken away. 

• Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Pass interference isn’t a dirty play. It’s a last-resort-after-you-got-beat play.  Does the same cheater label apply to us too when we interfere?    

We will be called for a few this year ourselves. Probably some face masks too.  If you guys think they were being coached to grab face masks you’re an idiot.

Watch the Quinn hit at full speed instead of slo-mo. It’s not reasonable to apply any analysis of it based on slow motion. The whole thing was over in half a second. People are claiming in that half second he had the awareness to grab his arm, force the fall a certain way, etc…. It’s embarrassing.  It was roughing and they called it roughing. It happened way faster than most of you are replaying in your heads.  It sucks. We will probably rough the QB a few times this year too. Doesn’t make it ok but it also doesn’t make it the crime of the century some you are making it to be. Move on. 

You're correct on the facemasks and PIs and 100% wrong on the Ewers hit. Maybe it doesn't make sense to you because you're not an elite athlete but Dallas Turner absolutely intentionally drove Ewers into the ground and landed with his body weight driving through Ewers into the ground. There's a reason that's a penalty and also a huge fine in the NFL. Because it's dangerous and they can absolutely not do it if they choose not to.

That was without doubt a dirty play meant to hurt the opponent. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Why don't coaches have a rules analyst in the booth/sidelines who can print out parts of the rulebook when the refs tell them shit that is literally wrong and not the rule? 

If I was sark I would have gotten ejected before letting the game continue over the safety 2 points being taken away. 

Because "you can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride."  How often in the history of football does the coach go up and make a logical, rules-based argument to a ref (or better, yells at the ref how blind and stupid they are) and the ref then says "Oh you know what, you're right!  We screwed that up, and we're going to reverse the call in your favor."  Even when you're right that rarely happens.  Just like a cop who has decided you're going to jail is going to take you there even on a trumped up bullshit charge that will get dropped later.  The difference is we have this nice little balance of powers thing with cops/courts that we don't have with refs.  And even with the courts it still takes weeks/months/years sometimes to get to the "right" result on a b.s. charge.

I don't think this ref crew or the Big12 ref crews in general are sitting in a smoky room dreaming up scenarios to screw Texas.  The table people keep posting is nice and probably speaks to un-conscious bias against Texas.  The better explanation is that they are just bad at their jobs.

Either way, more transparency into the grading of refs by the league (they do that, right?  Right?) would be awesome.  At least fucking recognize that it's an issue.  Thankfully this Big12 problem won't be ours much longer and we can start bitching about SEC refs biases.

40 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

The first clip is from same game and  of a defender recognizing that  Ewers is getting rid of the ball and pulling up.  He is about 0.5 yards away when the ball is released and he pulls out of the hit.

The second pic is of the hit that took Eyers out at the second the ball leaves his hand. Defender is 1.5-2 yards from Mullet when the ball is released. 

He absolutely had time to pull out of a full weight power drive on Ewers but chose not to.  

FullSizeRender.MOV 22.88 MB · 3 downloads  

E8834F38-0153-49AA-99B7-79AC72811C16.thumb.jpeg.29b64620bc9bdb39e87642bfe7996905.jpeg

Jesus, what a fucking throw in that first clip. I hadn't seen it from that angle yet. 

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You're correct on the facemasks and PIs and 100% wrong on the Ewers hit. Maybe it doesn't make sense to you because you're not an elite athlete but Dallas Turner absolutely intentionally drove Ewers into the ground and landed with his body weight driving through Ewers into the ground. There's a reason that's a penalty and also a huge fine in the NFL. Because it's dangerous and they can absolutely not do it if they choose not to.

That was without doubt a dirty play meant to hurt the opponent. 

This.....you hear NFL players, Dallas Turner will be one, talk about how they can control this kind of hit and let up vs drive.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Because "you can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride."  How often in the history of football does the coach go up and make a logical, rules-based argument to a ref (or better, yells at the ref how blind and stupid they are) and the ref then says "Oh you know what, you're right!  We screwed that up, and we're going to reverse the call in your favor."  Even when you're right that rarely happens.  Just like a cop who has decided you're going to jail is going to take you there even on a trumped up bullshit charge that will get dropped later.  The difference is we have this nice little balance of powers thing with cops/courts that we don't have with refs.  And even with the courts it still takes weeks/months/years sometimes to get to the "right" result on a b.s. charge.

I don't think this ref crew or the Big12 ref crews in general are sitting in a smoky room dreaming up scenarios to screw Texas.  The table people keep posting is nice and probably speaks to un-conscious bias against Texas.  The better explanation is that they are just bad at their jobs.

Either way, more transparency into the grading of refs by the league (they do that, right?  Right?) would be awesome.  At least fucking recognize that it's an issue.  Thankfully this Big12 problem won't be ours much longer and we can start bitching about SEC refs biases.

I mean Saban will literally not let it go. He will stop the game as long as it takes until they give him the call if he knows he's right. I think sark would have done the same if someone told him they could actually give the safety still by rule. He gave up because he thought there was no rule to lean on. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

This.

Also yeah, it's just pure incompetence and a conference that doesn't hold officials accountable for bad officiating.  It's not a conspiracy - they are just really really bad at their job, but their bosses are worse, because they don't punish the incompetence. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I mean Saban will literally not let it go. He will stop the game as long as it takes until they give him the call if he knows he's right. I think sark would have done the same if someone told him they could actually give the safety still by rule. He gave up because he thought there was no rule to lean on. 

I'll admit I haven't followed every game Saban has coached; I know he's really animated, fired up, etc when he thinks they got it wrong - there are multiple examples of Saban screaming at refs and the ref changing calls after the fact as a result?

8 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

I'll admit I haven't followed every game Saban has coached; I know he's really animated, fired up, etc when he thinks they got it wrong - there are multiple examples of Saban screaming at refs and the ref changing calls after the fact as a result?

There are studies on "sideline" plays (late hit out of bounds, reaching for sticks) that calls tend to go in favor of the sideline team.  But that's group influence in the moment.

I don't think yelling after that fact would change a call.  Coaches do it to influence the next call.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yea, there is nothing wrong with the way Sark handled that. Keep your head, don’t make it worse by going off the rails. It isn’t reviewable.

They already somehow took the bs roughing the passer call off, they knew they fucked up. 

Move on to the next play at that point. Don’t give them any more of a reason to fuck you over. 

4 hours ago, immamac said:

Such a weird post. Alabama is bad, Texas can't possibly be good is your takeaway from the game? 

Maybe he's saying that if they use the same game plan moving forward the future competition will take the Texas blueprint and bludgeon them with that.

Sark and Co exposed just about every weakness.

Edited by Cajun

3 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Exactamundo, sir, with all due respect to the normally razor- insightful Immamac. BAsed on Saturday, Texas is on the rise, as are Hogs and Vols. Bama? Jury is still out but as long as that angry little man is pacing the sidelines, I have hope.

Meh….   It could be that you have more tighter games this year, but you all still have to be clear favorites  in the SEC West.   Please absolutely dog stomp aggy.   Do it like OU did about 15 years ago and dump a room temperature score on them and a running clock.    You guys have reason enough to do it.  

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Maybe he's saying that if they use the same game plan moving forward the future competition will take the Texas blueprint and bludgeon them with that.

Sark and Co exposed just about every weakness.

Yes. The blueprint of perfectly executing complicated offensive plays and having a Whittington type in space. Always an easy one to replicate. Oh and playing stifling defense by controlling the line of scrimmage.

Edited by Irieguy
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, chainsaw said:

You're not understanding. They committed penalties they don't usually commit. Does that happen 9/10 times if we play them 10 times? As much as I want to give credit to our team for that, I think it's far more likely that they didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express.

Other than the lining up offsides, it was stuff they usually just don't get caught on.  They interfere.  They face mask.  They do late hits.  They just usually don't get called.  Maybe they will get better about doing it on the other side of the referee as the season goes on.

One thing I don't like about going to the SEC is how infrequently their refs will call late hits.  They let a lot of stuff go on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Domedriver said:

I am rewatching the game and I am amazed about how dirty Bama played in the 1st quarter alone.  Three plays stand out:

1) Blatant Pass Interference on Sanders in the Endzone, cost us a TD!

2) The Facemask on Worthy on the long completion.  Worthy caught the long ball despite the interference and facemask!

3) The body slam that took QE out of the game when he was shredding Bama’s D.  It was a deliberate hit to injure our quarterback and take him out of the game.

Bama played dirty!  Fuck Bama in their cheating asses!  And fuck Saban for being a dirty cheating AssHat!  An fuck the whole state of Alabama!

i hope we play them again with some decent Refs and beat the ever living shit out of them!

That's Bama.  No surprise.  You just haven't seen them much.

26 minutes ago, wood said:

Probably already been beaten to death in this thread, but I didn't see Leinart's comments about the refs until just now. Wow. If he thinks it was bad...

It was mentioned but it's a bit awkward for us to side with Leinart implying that we were the better team despite losing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It was mentioned but it's a bit awkward for us to side with Leinart implying that we were the better team despite losing. 

I don't blame Leinart a lot for the remark. He just got beaten by a better team - scoreboard proves that, but in his place I'd likely have the same feeling. But if I did, I'd be as wrong as he was.

No one that I ever saw or heard even mentioned the reffing in the Rose Bowl that night. It was a game between two hugely talented teams. Hell, if there had been two minutes left there at the end, it would not surprise me to see SC score one last time, and win.

The only thing about that game that really pissed me off - and still does, on occasion - was Reggie Bush having Vince's Heisman.

Edited by Tex Long
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Meh….   It could be that you have more tighter games this year, but you all still have to be clear favorites  in the SEC West.   Please absolutely dog stomp aggy.   Do it like OU did about 15 years ago and dump a room temperature score on them and a running clock.    You guys have reason enough to do it.  

Irony dept. - that slaughter was vs then recent Alabama ex coach Dennis Franchione, 77-0. In fairness to him, he was hired in the aftermath of the shameful Albert Means slave auction recruitung scandal and the UA athletic admin did not tell him the heavy sword of serious NCAA probation was falling imminently. In his brief tenure Fran cleared out Neyland, Tiger Stadium and Possum Hair stadiums a couple of times each by the start of the fourth quarter. A Alas, a match not made in football heaven. He was meeting with aggy during Iron Bowl practice that ladt year and flew off to aggyland without so much as a word to the team. Nossir, we didn’t like it.

Google “Albert Means.” The sleazy way his recruitment was conducted led in a direct line to Bama probation and two-year bowl ban in early 2000s. It was fucking awful. I don’t think he ever played a down. Served us right. I’ve forgotten the name of the Memphis booster who was at the nexus of all that shit. He supposedly died falling down his own staircase, drunk or doped or both.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 4:31 PM, satyanash said:

this sounds like the minor key reprise of "We almost beat #6 Oklahoma, no way we lose to Kansas" from last year. Or "We almost beat #1 LSU, no way we lose to Iowa State" from 2019.

Texas will not be back until we beat the teams we're supposed to beat. Full stop. Lose to UTSA or TTU and we're right back where we started.

On 9/10/2022 at 4:35 PM, C-Man said:

Your schtick is most tiresome

Reality is tiresome, I agree. Not as tiresome as dealing with sunshine-pumpers who won't acknowledge it though.