Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

27 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Murphy obviously should not replace Card. That’s nonsense. However, if Card is too injured to play, it would make sense for Sark to setup something like 18 Wheeler plays for Murphy (run pass options) to spell Wright occasionally. That would make sense. Or, do the same with RoJo, who used to play QB. 

racist comedy central GIF

I don’t think Murphy is thought of as much of a dual threat.

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

racist comedy central GIF

I don’t think Murphy is thought of as much of a dual threat.

Maybe you were just trying to make a joke, but it falls flat. Making false racist claims is never a good look. He’s 6’5” 230+. You don’t need to be a gifted runner to run the QB run pass option. Just look at Sam. Try again for the chuckle with something less predictable and blasé. And just for grins here’s the scouting report from 247:

Physically gifted signal caller with a lot of tools. Still needs game reps and experience to take his game to another level. Has a clean, easy delivery and one of the strongest arms in the class. Has tightened his release over the last year, less of a windup and gets it out quick. Shows good feet in the pocket but can continue to improve extending plays and getting out of the pocket to make a throw or running for plus yards. Has a big frame but has maintained his weight and isn't sloppy. Shows good touch on the deep ball and looks good when throwing on time and in rhythm. A natural leader who teammates will love in the locker room. Mature and works hard off the field. Very intriguing at the next level and has a ton of upside and if he maximizes his potential, has a chance to be special.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Maybe you were just trying to make a joke, but it falls flat. Making false racist claims is never a good look. He’s 6’5” 230+. You don’t need to be a gifted runner to run the QB run pass option. Just look at Sam. Try again for the chuckle with something less predictable and blasé. And just for grins here’s the scouting report from 247:

Physically gifted signal caller with a lot of tools. Still needs game reps and experience to take his game to another level. Has a clean, easy delivery and one of the strongest arms in the class. Has tightened his release over the last year, less of a windup and gets it out quick. Shows good feet in the pocket but can continue to improve extending plays and getting out of the pocket to make a throw or running for plus yards. Has a big frame but has maintained his weight and isn't sloppy. Shows good touch on the deep ball and looks good when throwing on time and in rhythm. A natural leader who teammates will love in the locker room. Mature and works hard off the field. Very intriguing at the next level and has a ton of upside and if he maximizes his potential, has a chance to be special.

Yeah, I was totally serious about accusing you of being a racist with that gif. Well done. 

I should have expected no less from the same dizzying intellect who thinks posting a scouting report that questions his ability to get outside the pocket, extend plays, and run for plus yards somehow supports his point.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, formermav43 said:

Yeah, I was totally serious about accusing you of being a racist with that gif. Well done. 

I should have expected no less from the same dizzying intellect who thinks posting a scouting report that questions his ability to get outside the pocket, extend plays, and run for plus yards somehow supports his point.

It’s all good dude. Your joke just sucked. Move on and do better. 

17 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I'm sorry I clicked on this thread.  You people shitting on Card for his performance today are fucking morons.

God, we have some shittty fans.

It was gusty, playing on one foot. But for every good play he made he made a bad one. Sacks, missing wide open WRs, holding the ball. I respect Card's grit, but I also don't want him to be the starter.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, mrhorn said:

You’re a fucking retard

My point is that putting this loss on Card is crazy. He didn’t win it but he certainly didn’t lose it. I was highlighting Bijan’s effort and asking why is he being given a pass? Especially when he’s this other worldly talent which Card is not.

We lost this game because we couldn’t run the football. 

• Fuck You 1

I was very critical of Card after the Arkansas game last season. Card can't be blamed for the loss today, he made several plays on the go ahead drive with a bum leg and hung in there the entire game never making any big mistakes playing against #1 despite lacking any semblance of mobility. Card earned my respect after today, here is to hoping he's 100% for the UTSA game and leads Texas to a blowout.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

My point is that putting this loss on Card is crazy. He didn’t win it but he certainly didn’t lose it. I was highlighting Bijan’s effort and asking why is he being given a pass? Especially when he’s this other worldly talent which Card is not.

We couldn't run the football because they fucking knew we were gonna run the football dude get it though your fucking head.

Edited by Zeus

6 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

Because that's what Bama wanted. Even more so when Quinn went down.

Bama wanted our QB to beat them. And we were. Big time. Then Quinn got hurt and Card got hurt. And all of a sudden, their plan finally started to work.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

When the defense doesn't respect the QB's ability to pass the ball, it becomes much harder to run the football. Card made crucial mistakes, the biggest being taking a sack on 3rd and 3 on the last drive. He has to get rid of that ball. The TE screen was set up, but he pumped faked it, instead of releasing the ball. It's amazing how good of a coach Sarkisian is, considering he made Card look competent on 1 foot against the best defense front in the country.

I knew that was the key play of the game, because picking up that 1st down likely means we could run the clock under a minute before settling for the FG. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

@mrhorn is right.  You are a fucking retard.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

That’s not the retarded part. Blaming Bijan is. Others have explained it better than I have the patience for. 

I’m not blaming him for the loss. Blaming any 1 player for a loss is nuts which I’ve tried to point out.

Let me be clear, Bijan did not lose the game for us. He just wasn’t really a factor today which you hope to see from someone as dynamic as him.

1 minute ago, Creasy Bear said:

I’m not blaming him for the loss. Blaming any 1 player for a loss is nuts which I’ve tried to point out.

Let me be clear, Bijan did not lose the game for us. He just wasn’t really a factor today which you hope to see from someone as dynamic as him.

Again, his shoulder was fucked up and clearly he wasn’t himself. And he was not even on the field for multiple plays. 

56 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

When the defense doesn't respect the QB's ability to pass the ball, it becomes much harder to run the football. Card made crucial mistakes, the biggest being taking a sack on 3rd and 3 on the last drive. He has to get rid of that ball. The TE screen was set up, but he pumped faked it, instead of releasing the ball. It's amazing how good of a coach Sarkisian is, considering he made Card look competent on 1 foot against the best defense front in the country.

I knew that was the key play of the game, because picking up that 1st down likely means we could run the clock under a minute before settling for the FG. 

The crazy thing about that play, is that bama jumped the flat pass to Sanders and doubled him and behind on the wheel we had someone completely wide open which could have scored the TD. 

That play. Card made the right decision. The Whittington motion brought that edge defender into play. Anderson was there too quick for Card to know whether the edge takes Whitt or Sanders. You cannot guess. I mean you can, but if you guess wrong, you risk a pick. If you’re calling that a TE screen, there were no blockers.

Anderson is about to hit Card and Whitt and Sanders are both at the LOS. Worthy with a 5 yard cushion on 3rd and 3 and the CB back peddling at the snap. Some inside route and Worthy’s wide open.

Somebody screwed up the blocking (could be Jones, could be Banks), but when you don’t fool the defense on short yardage play action that’s on the play caller. There’s a lot wrong with that play call.

The crazy thing about that play, is that bama jumped the flat pass to Sanders and doubled him and behind on the wheel we had someone completely wide open which could have scored the TD. 

4fad81c0d6e73237b92a0234f628ab8e.jpg

There’s no double on Sanders. He’s nowhere near the flat yet. The Bama defender can still peel off on Whitt or he can come hit Sanders. That wheel that shadowy corner could still get there too. Card does have another option. Airmail it and save Bama a timeout.

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

There’s no double on Sanders. He’s nowhere near the flat yet. The Bama defender can still peel off on Whitt or he can come hit Sanders. That wheel that shadowy corner could still get there too. Card does have another option. Airmail it and save Bama a timeout.

Yeah idk what I’m remembering now. It’s all a blur I guess

edit: actually your screenshot is early. Sanders hasn’t released yet. Doesn’t matter cause they are on Card when it starts to develop tho 

AB85BDE7-7B14-40D7-8334-5A38293CB4B7.png

Edited by taybo20

Yeah idk what I’m remembering now. It’s all a blur I guess
edit: actually your screenshot is early. Sanders hasn’t released yet. Doesn’t matter cause they are on Card when it starts to develop

I was guesstimating about the time he needed to be getting rid of the ball. Sanders came from the backside so he had a ways to go.

I don't think Card is getting enough credit on not stepping on his own dick and losing the game right there. Taking that sack, as much as it sucked was much better than throwing it up and over the 2 linemen coming at you strong, while you are back pedaling and causing an interception.
There are a couple of plays where the last season Card would have totally blown it and caused a turnover.
  • Hook 'Em 8

9 hours ago, Irieguy said:

That’s not the retarded part. Blaming Bijan is. Others have explained it better than I have the patience for. 

It wasn't just running the ball. He gave nothing in the passing game from a receiving position which he's actually good at, but that was mostly because he was kept in more to help in pass pro and he was poor there as well. Although that is the weakest aspect of his game, but he just failed to get the job done and was most responsible for that last sack. You have to have better out of the guy who is your best player and he knows that. No way he feels good about what he put out there today and he'll feel even worse once he gets the tape. 

I also think Sark should have schemed him to be in routes more but it was a tough situation having to go to the backup QB. 

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

It wasn't just running the ball. He gave nothing in the passing game from a receiving position which he's actually good at, but that was mostly because he was kept in more to help in pass pro and he was poor there as well. Although that is the weakest aspect of his game, but he just failed to get the job done and was most responsible for that last sack. You have to have better out of the guy who is your best player and he knows that. No way he feels good about what he put out there today and he'll feel even worse once he gets the tape. 

I also think Sark should have schemed him to be in routes more but it was a tough situation having to go to the backup QB. 

Yeah but before Ewers goes out, the game plan was working. And quite frankly, regardless of what Sark says, the game plan definitely changed with card and was changed further when his leg got busted up. We can sit here all day and discuss why Bijan wasn’t involved more, but the game plan changed when Ewers went out. 

14 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Murphy obviously should not replace Card. That’s nonsense. However, if Card is too injured to play, it would make sense for Sark to setup something like 18 Wheeler plays for Murphy (run pass options) to spell Wright occasionally. That would make sense. Or, do the same with RoJo, who used to play QB. 

Rojo is the answer if Card cannot play.  Wildcat with Rojo, Bijan, and maybe Keilan in the mix, too.  If we're down to Wright or Murphy as our throwing options, we should be running, a lot.  We have the backs and our most respected offensive leader to go out and run on UTSA.  Honestly would be better for the oline and backs to get reps vs trying to get Wright or Murphy ready to carry the offense.

Edited by Bill Lumbergh
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

I'm in for giving Maalik some reps and snaps against UTSA this weekend. Good evaluation to see where he's at. I like Charles Wright, but if he has to come in for any truly meaningful snaps then we are in serious trouble. 

Also, Card did not lose us the game. Stop shitting on him. 

Card played with a ton of heart, and there were a few throws where he really stood in there and delivered a good ball with a guy bearing down on him. He is easily our best option with Quinn out, but still limited. Malik is in the midst of mechanics overhaul, so things would likely be pretty ugly if he had to hit the field tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Malik is in the midst of mechanics overhaul, so things would likely be pretty ugly if he had to hit the field tomorrow.

Yes because Maalik didn't play in the spring game or scrimmage very much in fall camp. So sadly Charles Wright is the backup for Card. Only other option if Card can't go is use RoJo like we did against K State last year. 

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

6'5, 230lbs. This guy is a fucking unit. Much more upside than Card. Needs play against UTSA

I love Murphy and think it's far from certain that he's never a starter even with Ewers and Manning lined up, but I really can't imagine he's ready.  He was a raw project and likely doesn't know enough of the playbook at this stage.  Tossing him out there could do more harm than good if he's just not there developmentally.  There's a reason he's been listed 4th string despite all that talent.

3 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I love Murphy and think it's far from certain that he's never a starter even with Ewers and Manning lined up, but I really can't imagine he's ready.  He was a raw project and likely doesn't know enough of the playbook at this stage.  Tossing him out there could do more harm than good if he's just not there developmentally.  There's a reason he's been listed 4th string despite all that talent.

Exactly. Don't want him to be like another 2014 edition of Tyrone Swoopes where he gets thrown into the fire unprepared. 

Edited by Longboard Horn

We can't expect him to perform at a high level against good competition. That's a bridge too far for the back up QB at the University of Texas.

Come on now. If any Qb is “all that and a box of chocolate”, they are a starter, just somewhere else! See Thompson as the most recent example, and he still seems like he still sucks.

In this day and age of NIL/portal, what team is going to stack multiple 5*s as the back up and 3rd string? Because “We’re Texas”? Wow, some of us have no words (yeah yeah…)!

For Card, what he did yesterday, for him and his abilities, was balling out! Not great or good enough for some of you? I’ll buy him a beer!

Hook’em
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

I don't think Card is getting enough credit on not stepping on his own dick and losing the game right there. Taking that sack, as much as it sucked was much better than throwing it up and over the 2 linemen coming at you strong, while you are back pedaling and causing an interception.
There are a couple of plays where the last season Card would have totally blown it and caused a turnover.

You never know what worse luck your bad luck kept you from.

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Rojo is the answer if Card cannot play.  Wildcat with Rojo, Bijan, and maybe Keilan in the mix, too.  If we're down to Wright or Murphy as our throwing options, we should be running, a lot.  We have the backs and our most respected offensive leader to go out and run on UTSA.  Honestly would be better for the oline and backs to get reps vs trying to get Wright or Murphy ready to carry the offense.

No, that is not the answer. The answer is you play Wright and gameplan around his strengths. Shit, Army just threw for over 300 yards against UTSA.

51 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

we absolutely cannot trot out charles fucking wright

use maalik for 2-3 games until Card is healthy and we can still save his RS.

Why? You know something about a guy with a year in the system that the rest of the world does not?

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No, that is not the answer. The answer is you play Wright and gameplan around his strengths. Shit, Army just threw for over 300 yards against UTSA.

I guess it really depends on where both Wright and Rojo are as passers.  We honestly don't know, so I'd think of it like this:

Unless Wright is a particularly more skilled passer, we're probably at an advantage with Rojo.  Once we're relying on our 3+ string qb, the game plan should be run heavy.  Rojo in as qb introduces more conflict for defending both the run and pass, which should open up more easy running and throwing lanes.  In any event we should count on a stacked box, so if we want to rely on running we should add a new wrinkle to help create space.

If we feel solid about Wright as a passer, maybe you do go traditional.  I'm just assuming that since Card has been anything but consistent throwing the ball and Wright has never even threatened to take the backup role, possibly we have some reservations about him throwing it around.

This is all assuming we need a one game fix for UTSA, also.  If both Ewers and Card need to miss extended time, you probably start preparing whoever you need to operate the real offense.  I'd just rather see Rojo leading a rush heavy attack for one game against UTSA than spend time trying to get Wright ready to run the full offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Zeus said:

Yeah massive respect for Card.

We still should start the guy who gives us the best chance to win.

Maybe I'm just hopeful the 6'-5" five star QB that has great leadership skills ends up being good.

e4xhgwcvoaiplwdjfif.jpg

I wanted so bad for Sark to put Murphy in in punt formation and then let him heave a pass 70 yards down field.

• Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts
  • immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers