Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

Thoughts?

Malik was recruited as a development project. There’s a reason he’s behind Charles Wright on the depth chart. Sark very obviously does not feel he’s ready.

They’ll go with Card through the next three if at all possible. The team’s best chance to win right now is leaning into the running game and utilizing his ability to be an effective game manager. That is not an unreasonable ask against UTSA, Tech, or WVU.

Dallas… They need to do everything possible to get Ewers back for that game.

23 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Maybe you were just trying to make a joke, but it falls flat. Making false racist claims is never a good look. He’s 6’5” 230+. You don’t need to be a gifted runner to run the QB run pass option. Just look at Sam. Try again for the chuckle with something less predictable and blasé. And just for grins here’s the scouting report from 247:

Physically gifted signal caller with a lot of tools. Still needs game reps and experience to take his game to another level. Has a clean, easy delivery and one of the strongest arms in the class. Has tightened his release over the last year, less of a windup and gets it out quick. Shows good feet in the pocket but can continue to improve extending plays and getting out of the pocket to make a throw or running for plus yards. Has a big frame but has maintained his weight and isn't sloppy. Shows good touch on the deep ball and looks good when throwing on time and in rhythm. A natural leader who teammates will love in the locker room. Mature and works hard off the field. Very intriguing at the next level and has a ton of upside and if he maximizes his potential, has a chance to be special.

Can we send him to the coach that works with ehlinger?  Shouldn’t the serious players be doing this during the summers as part of their NIL package or just pay for it now that they have a little money.  It would even be a business expense professional training and such.

3 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

If Card is not “healthy”, Malik should get a lot of reps this week, in practice, as well as a package with Roshon in at Wildcat/QB. IMO - those are our two best options for the next couple weeks for a serviceable Ewers to return.

Hook’em!

Wright will play before Malik...

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, DiceHands said:

we absolutely cannot trot out charles fucking wright

use maalik for 2-3 games until Card is healthy and we can still save his RS.

With Charles it's a scenario like the longest yard: "Crewe, Meggett can't run the ball every play!" Just like Bijan and RoJo can't run the ball every play either. 

On 9/10/2022 at 5:50 PM, goatsaag said:

This whole thread is dumb (obviously) but what is the "he was playing well before he got hurt!" narrative you're trying to push? He handed the ball off four times and then came up limping after the first called pass play when he bailed on the play at the first indication of pressure and ran up the middle.

? Card wasn't clearly hobbled until the third quarter. Maybe he got hurt earlier, but the ankle wasn't a real factor until later. He looked pretty good the last drive of the first half. If not for the PIs, he has a TD that drive. Once the ankle swelled up (maybe while sitting during halftime?), he wasn't able to plant at all. Even still, he has another TD if Sanders just keeps his feet in the third quarter. Card isn't going to be a great QB. But he didn't lose us that game and damn near won it. Really strange to write a sophomore QB completely off for a gritty performance against the #1 team in the country with a loaded defense. He basically matched Bryce Young's performance.  

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

? Card wasn't clearly hobbled until the third quarter. Maybe he got hurt earlier, but the ankle wasn't a real factor until later. He looked pretty good the last drive of the first half. If not for the PIs, he has a TD that drive. Once the ankle swelled up (maybe while sitting during halftime?), he wasn't able to plant at all. Even still, he has another TD if Sanders just keeps his feet in the third quarter. Card isn't going to be a great QB. But he didn't lose us that game and damn near won it. 

his ankle got hurt in the 2nd half(I think on the 2nd drive).  He ran up the middle to escape pocket and there was a scrum.  It wasn't totaly clear but from what I can tell he was lifted off the ground and a bama player twisted his leg on the way down.

14 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

He basically matched Bryce Young's performance.  

I was at the game. The first 3 quarters watching Young was “lol why is this a heisman candidate”. The 4th quarter was “oh that’s why”. He was laser accurate zipping the ball everywhere and kicked it into another gear. I couldn’t believe how he avoided the sack on the last drive. It’s actually shocking anyone could watch that game and think Card is anywhere near as good as Young.

Hudson Card passing plays before Ankle

2nd & 8 - can't handle pocket pressure, tucks it and runs for a 1st down. (The high step play)

3rd & 14 - quick tunnel screen complete for 2 yards

1st & 10 - good pass completion down middle for 15 yards for 1st down 

2nd & 10 - pass to Worthy was a wee bit late. Worthy was pass interfered. No call. 

3rd & 9 - can't handle pocket pressure, flag for intentional grounding because didn't throw it past yard stick

1st & 15 - Great completion down sideline to Bijan for huge gain. 

1st & 10 - short completion to Sanders for 1 yard

2nd & 9 - Pass Interference on Casey Cain - (Probably a good ball if Cain wasn't held) 

1st & 10 - Pass Interference on Sanders - (this is was bit of a stretch, and the ball wasn't even close to Sanders)

1st & Goal - Passed too far Out of Bounds. Incomplete. 

2nd & 14 - Passed too Wide to Bijan. Incomplete. 

3rd & 14 - Didn't see pressure until too late. Runs, injures ankle

@Dahobbs  After re-watching the game sober. You were correct. Card was better before the ankle injury. Mea culpa. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I was at the game. The first 3 quarters watching Young was “lol why is this a heisman candidate”. The 4th quarter was “oh that’s why”. He was laser accurate zipping the ball everywhere and kicked it into another gear. I couldn’t believe how he avoided the sack on the last drive. It’s actually shocking anyone could watch that game and think Card is anywhere near as good as Young.

I didn't say that at all. I said that our sophomore backup QB, who had a bum ankle most of the game, almost matched the performance of Heisman winner in the game. That doesn't mean he is anywhere near as good as Young (he obviously isn't). But it does mean that it is fucking stupid to shit on him for that game. I mean, fuck, he drove us down the field for a potential game winning FG with a minute thirty left. That's a pretty big deal. He played so much better than I would have ever expected after last season, to the point where I actually think we can compete for the Big 12 with a healthy Card. Before the game, I would have assumed that Card at QB means another losing season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Goodman said:

At the open practice you could tell something is up with this throwing arm. He was favoring his shoulder and lobbing a few balls and held out of any drill that demanded he throw with any amount of effort. 

So many idiots saying he should play and the kid is injured. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/10/2022 at 8:02 PM, HtownHorn said:

When the defense doesn't respect the QB's ability to pass the ball, it becomes much harder to run the football. Card made crucial mistakes, the biggest being taking a sack on 3rd and 3 on the last drive. He has to get rid of that ball. The TE screen was set up, but he pumped faked it, instead of releasing the ball. It's amazing how good of a coach Sarkisian is, considering he made Card look competent on 1 foot against the best defense front in the country.

I knew that was the key play of the game, because picking up that 1st down likely means we could run the clock under a minute before settling for the FG. 

That was a weird play, he had the TE open and pulled the ball back like he was scared to throw it?  He definitely screwed up, should have let it fly...It's like the coaches have overcoached an abundance of caution in him which likely means they somewhat don't trust his judgement, or he doesn't trust it......Other than that play, all things considered with his leg injury, he did a good job...

Edited by Azbadlands

40 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Wasn’t Charles Wright behind walk-ons on the depth chart last year?  I think the plan is going to be that Card plays even if he’s in a wheelchair.

Wasn't Charles Wright a true freshmen last year and they weren't going to play him unless every other QB on campus died.

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

his ankle got hurt in the 2nd half(I think on the 2nd drive).  He ran up the middle to escape pocket and there was a scrum.  It wasn't totaly clear but from what I can tell he was lifted off the ground and a bama player twisted his leg on the way down.

1st drive. Then Trejo boomed the punt over the Bama returner and flipped the field position. Which set up Trejo's 2nd punt that was downed inside the 1-yard line.

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

You get 4 games before the redshirt is burned.  So, yeah, if they aren’t going to play you unless every other QB dies, it means you have a problem.  There were times last year when both Card and Casey were hurt, and Ben Ballard was going to be next man up.  

Which means dick compared to a full year+ in the system.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

You get 4 games before the redshirt is burned.  So, yeah, if they aren’t going to play you unless every other QB dies, it means you have a problem.  There were times last year when both Card and Casey were hurt, and Ben Ballard was going to be next man up.  

It could be something totally wild like Ballard was better last year and Wright is better this year.  

The thing with Young is that he looks like a tax auditor so it catches you off guard with his football IQ and skill set.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I wonder what would happen if Sark... "Let Malik be Malik."

He thew far and away the best deep balls today. And the deep balls are to get DB's on their heels a hair.  Throw in the size and speed of Murphy as a way to break good coverage with a scramble?  Who would scare you more if you were on defense, Quinn or Malik?

Not trying to talk down Quinn just amazed at Murphy's performance and potential to change games with his feet and cannon of an arm.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I wonder what would happen if Sark... "Let Malik be Malik."

He thew far and away the best deep balls today. And the deep balls are to get DB's on their heels a hair.  Throw in the size and speed of Murphy as a way to break good coverage with a scramble?  Who would scare you more if you were on defense, Quinn or Malik?

Not trying to talk down Quinn just amazed at Murphy's performance and potential to change games with his feet and cannon of an arm.

Speed!?!?!?!?

• Haha 2

I'll just say this: Maalik's overall performance today validates Sark/Milwee's QB recruit evaluation and development. Even more impressive considering this kid wasn't able to practice normally until quite recently.

Need to hang on to him for this year..he could legit battle Manning next year for the starting job..assuming Quinn either moves on to the draft or portal. No team is going to be able to stack more than 2 starting grade QB's unless one is a true Freshman knowing they will shirt to start, and yes that includes Georgia, Bama, USC etc. We could be one of the few teams with a legit 3 deep if we manage to keep him from bolting.

Having said that, ready to start? Not quite..but not far away either.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts
  • immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers