Wulaw Horn

Roschon, Keilan, and Jonathan Brooks.....wash, rinse, repeat. We should be able to run the ball against UTSA, and if we can't, we have bigger issues. It shouldn't make a shit who is taking the snaps and handing the ball off. If the starting Texas QB is asked to throw it more than 12-14 times, we have a problem. Texas scores one on defense, and one on special teams and wins going away.

• Hook 'Em 1

A lot of interesting stuff on there. One that stands out -- Yards before contact per rush = NEGATIVE ONE...that's no bueno

That Bijan had the yardage he did is a testament to his skill and athleticism. He turned -1 and 0 into small gains on more occasions than can be counted.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

UTSA is 73rd in passing yards allowed per game against UH and Army (triple option team). They finished 116th in passing yards allowed per game last season. 

This is a really bad secondary. 

I know it's a 3rd string QB but he's not a walk-on that didn't have any offers. Even with Wright, I think they're going to attack this shitty secondary. This secondary is worse than ULM. 

3 hours ago, NoName said:

the guy was limping around on one ankle. Sark said the gameplan changed after that, so grasp on the gameplan didn't matter at that point. again, Card was seriously hurt and gutted it out and the coaching staff still left him in. that's basically all any of us need to know about Wright vs Card.

No doubt for that game. But a full week of prep with the ones might be OK for Wright to play this game. I.E., tossing him in against Bama all of a sudden would likely have been overwhelming. But given a full week of prep and foreknowledge he is the presumptive starter against UTSA is a different scenario. Either way, I defer to Sark's judgment and not really concerned about it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

No doubt for that game. But a full week of prep with the ones might be OK for Wright to play this game. I.E., tossing him in against Bama all of a sudden would likely have been overwhelming. But given a full week of prep and foreknowledge he is the presumptive starter against UTSA is a different scenario. Either way, I defer to Sark's judgment and not really concerned about it.

Yep.  Wright likely got majority scout team reps last week.  Going into the game against Bama completely unprepared is a lot different than taking reps with 1's all week with a game plan that is focused on his skillset.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Roschon, Keilan, and Jonathan Brooks.....wash, rinse, repeat. We should be able to run the ball against UTSA, and if we can't, we have bigger issues. It shouldn't make a shit who is taking the snaps and handing the ball off. If the starting Texas QB is asked to throw it more than 12-14 times, we have a problem. Texas scores one on defense, and one on special teams and wins going away.

No no no. Running into 7 and 8 men boxes portend nothing about our ability to run the ball with a healthy offense. Just like with the Monroe game, people are overestimating our opponents and our underestimating our players. Sarkisian has made every QB to take snaps look competent for stretches, unless there have been complete breakdowns with other personnel, i.e. the OL against Arkansas. Our OL is in great shape, our skill positions are elite. UTSA will likely try to make our QB beat them, and will likely lose that bet, unless Wright can't throw simple routes. Shit just throw a screen to Worthy, with proper blocking he will house it. That is the mismatch between our skill players the UTSA secondary.

2 hours ago, Lou Loomis said:

Wouldn’t really be so catastrophic if Maalik got some snaps over the next two or three games?

I get that he may be raw still and going through a throwing motion transition, but he is still a highly talented athlete that could affect plays positively, right?

i’m not saying he should start without question and instantly  be expected to be the savior, or anything like that, but treating him getting into a game like it’s this catastrophic impossibility seems a touch weird ??

I think it would be great for Maalik to get into the game, but he is not ready for extended game action with a full gameplan. Having him come in and run the base offense or a package of plays would be really good for his development, but that only happens if we get up by multiple scores and don't get drug into a dogfight. 

48 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

A lot of interesting stuff on there. One that stands out -- Yards before contact per rush = NEGATIVE ONE...that's no bueno

That defensive front was absolutely nasty. The fact that we were able to rush for 100 yards total in the game is a pleasant surprise. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I can't remember a time when Vegas was so down on us.

usually they give us the benefit of the doubt no matter how awful we are

Nah- we had 8.5 as an over under for the season and we had the 2nd best odds to win the big 12.  And we were under a 3 TD favorite for the whole week until game time, even with 92% of the public money bet on Bama.  That's actually Vegas taking a stand on Texas not moving that line.  I was hoping they would be more down on us so that I could make some money if I was right that Texas would be much better than we were given credit for, but there hasn't been a hell of a lot of value anywhere in the lines or futures so far.  

Huh? The dude wanted the starting job handed to him coming out of last season. He was never sticking around to be depth.
There is no team in the country who has a QB room that does 3 deep with starter level players.
I agree it's unrealistic, Casey is too arrogant to stick around unless there's a good chance he gets the starting job gift wrapped, but it would be a nice luxury in light of recent events.

The combo of Wright and rojocat may be good enough to get us past the Fightin' Traylors, but what about Tceh and WVU with film on what we do with those two?

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

I think our coaches knew we were not going to be able to line up and run the ball between the tackles against them. We were going to have to do the majority of our damage through the air and pick up yards in the run game when we could using a lot of eye candy and misdirection. 

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Huh? The dude wanted the starting job handed to him coming out of last season. He was never sticking around to be depth.

There is no team in the country who has a QB room that does 3 deep with starter level players.

tOSU Natty team says hi.  Also, Card is a Horn for life, you will see 3 deep with starter level here next year.

OSU had Cardale Jones, JT Barrett, Braxton Miller and Joe Burrow.

Bama had Tua, Mac Jones and Hurts

Edited by jdhorn92

19 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

tOSU Natty team says hi.  Also, Card is a Horn for life, you will see 3 deep with starter level here next year.

OSU had Cardale Jones, JT Barrett, Braxton Miller and Joe Burrow.

Bama had Tua, Mac Jones and Hurts

Cardale Jones was 6'5 220 coming out of prep. I don't think Ohio state's champ team is a fair comparison. 

19 minutes ago, ousux said:

I agree it's unrealistic, Casey is too arrogant to stick around unless there's a good chance he gets the starting job gift wrapped, but it would be a nice luxury in light of recent events.

The combo of Wright and rojocat may be good enough to get us past the Fightin' Traylors, but what about Tceh and WVU with film on what we do with those two?

We'll learn a little bit more about TTU when they play @ NCST this week. Their starting QB was injured in their first game - unsure of when he'll be back - but the backup was the absolute definition of hot & cold at home vs UH. He's shifty & a very willing runner, but that's mainly because he's a liability as a passer. Definitely someone we need to spy when in man or run more zone coverages but I'm not scared of their offense at all & their defense looks like the normal TTU defense that won't stop you but will let you beat yourself if you try hard enough. That just so happens to be what UH did for the most part with 120 yards of penalties. Also, they stormed the field Saturday.. as 4 point home favorites to a G5 school.. just in case you may have mistakenly thought TTU fans changed over the summer. This is a game that we can hopefully manage with our D, RBs & quick passing game & won't need anything special from the QB position.

WVU looks like warmed over dog excrement & we get them at home after they have to travel to a slightly more inspiring, still mostly crappy, VT. They have a decent DL that gave up 42 points & 400+ yards to KU at home. I mean, what kind of horribly coached, no talent, waste of space defense gives up.. oh wait... moving on. They have 1 good WR & and maybe a good QB that's on his 10th school in 3 years. I was hoping Quinn would be back by this game to knock some rust of before OU, but I THINK Card can manage us through these 2 games. If not, hopefully our defense wasn't a 1 hit wonder & can win a few games for us before Quinn gets back.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, ousux said:

Have you watched Tech for WVU? They are not good. Tech's OL is really bad, and their QB makes really bad decisions. UH should have that game, they made a lot of mistakes. WVU just lost at home to Kansas, and gave up 50 points doing it.

• Like 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Have you watched Tech for WVU? They are not good. Tech's OL is really bad, and their QB makes really bad decisions. UH should have that game, they made a lot of mistakes. WVU just lost at home to Kansas, and gave up 50 points doing it.

I think we have a couple more years of football probation before we are allowed to insult another team for anything that happened against Kansas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I think we have a couple more years of football probation before we are allowed to insult another team for anything that happened against Kansas.

I wasn't insulting WVU, they failed the simple college football Kansas test. You lose at home while giving up 50+ points, you suck. It's a natural law.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Anyone who thinks UTSA is going to derail this season after last week's performance has something totally broken in their brains. This team has shown VAST improvement over last year's team against an incredibly high quality opponent. 

Last year's team probably wins by 2 scores against UTSA, this year's team is going to skullfuck them. The conversations we are having with those in the locker room are completely different than after the loss to Arkansas last year. The identity of this team from the inside out is much different, not just the product they are showing on the field, but how they are approaching things. 

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, immamac said:

Anyone who thinks UTSA is going to derail this season after last week's performance has something totally broken in their brains. This team has shown VAST improvement over last year's team against an incredibly high quality opponent. 

Last year's team probably wins by 2 scores against UTSA, this year's team is going to skullfuck them. The conversations we are having with those in the locker room are completely different than after the loss to Arkansas last year. The identity of this team from the inside out is much different, not just the product they are showing on the field, but how they are approaching things. 

My travelers cheque for $9.95 is on its way.

I spent some time trying to figure out what's going on with their OL. Traylor mentions that guys are injured, but typically doesn't give much of a timeline, except for their starting RT #77 being out for a long time

- Presumed starting LT #73 (Allen) hasn't played yet this season due to "off the field situations", and Traylor said today that he hopes he can return this week, and is unsure about how game-ready he'll be. He wasn't suited up for the first two games

- Returning starting RT #77 (Hart)  got injured in game one, and is "out for awhile"

- Grad transfer OT from Northwestern #74 (He'Bert) who was competing to start at LT/RT got injured at some point in fall camp and hasn't returned. Traylor didn't mention him today and hasn't given any sort of timeline

- Incoming JUCO OG #75 (Tatafu) moved to LT after whatever happened off the field with #73 and after #74 got injured in camp, and has started both games at LT. He's healthy as far as I can tell

- #64 (Almaraz) was in the competition early for LT but was eventually moved to RT; he's been battling an injury since camp. #68 (Martinez) is a former walk-on who was previously an IOL. After #77 went down in the first quarter of game one, #64 replaced him in the first half but couldn't continue on for the second half, and so #68 took over. In game two vs Army, #64 started but went down in the 2nd quarter and was again replaced by #68. His status for Texas is unclear. 

So while they've had four tackles out, they've had the same starting four at LT-LG-C-RG, but have had to scramble at RT while starting an athletic former OG at LT. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I mentioned in the game thread on Saturday that it was so fucking wonderful to see an OC use double moves against an aggressive secondary after waiting decades to see it since Greg Davis was getting annually depantsed by Mike Stoops and then telling Chris Simms that double moves "aren't sound football" when he and BJ Johnson drew one up in the dirt against A&M on the way to a 51-15 thrashing.

Another awesome thing to see this week was that after the same two-plus decades of hoping that our OC was playing vanilla against the weak opening opponent and saving things for the good opponents we actually saw it the past two weeks. So many people couldn't tell how the offense had improved because we were as vanilla as possible against ULM while we completely controlled the game. Then BAM, for one quarter with our starting QB we were averaging 11.2 adjusted net yards per attempt against Alabama thanks to new wrinkles in the gameplan.

It's not a guarantee because we definitely fucked things up last season worse than they had to be, but we should absolutely roll UTSA and it will be important for the locker room for that to happen.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 9

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I mentioned in the game thread on Saturday that it was so fucking wonderful to see an OC use double moves against an aggressive secondary after waiting decades to see it since Greg Davis was getting annually depantsed by Mike Stoops and then telling Chris Simms that double moves "aren't sound football" when he and BJ Johnson drew one up in the dirt against A&M on the way to a 51-15 thrashing.

Another awesome thing to see this week was that after the same two-plus decades of hoping that our OC was playing vanilla against the weak opening opponent and saving things for the good opponents we actually saw it the past two weeks. So many people couldn't tell how the offense had improved because we were as vanilla as possible against ULM while we completely controlled the game. Then BAM, for one quarter with our starting QB we were averaging 11.2 adjusted net yards per attempt against Alabama thanks to new wrinkles in the gameplan.

It's not a guarantee because we definitely fucked things up last season worse than they had to be, but we should absolutely roll UTSA and it will be important for the locker room for that to happen.

Agree 100%. We were fucking beating that ass. And we had a gameplan that was working very well

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

I spent some time trying to figure out what's going on with their OL. Traylor mentions that guys are injured, but typically doesn't give much of a timeline, except for their starting RT #77 being out for a long time

- Presumed starting LT #73 (Allen) hasn't played yet this season due to "off the field situations", and Traylor said today that he hopes he can return this week, and is unsure about how game-ready he'll be. He wasn't suited up for the first two games

- Returning starting RT #77 (Hart)  got injured in game one, and is "out for awhile"

- Grad transfer OT from Northwestern #74 (He'Bert) who was competing to start at LT/RT got injured at some point in fall camp and hasn't returned. Traylor didn't mention him today and hasn't given any sort of timeline

- Incoming JUCO OG #75 (Tatafu) moved to LT after whatever happened off the field with #73 and after #74 got injured in camp, and has started both games at LT. He's healthy as far as I can tell

- #64 (Almaraz) was in the competition early for LT but was eventually moved to RT; he's been battling an injury since camp. #68 (Martinez) is a former walk-on who was previously an IOL. After #77 went down in the first quarter of game one, #64 replaced him in the first half but couldn't continue on for the second half, and so #68 took over. In game two vs Army, #64 started but went down in the 2nd quarter and was again replaced by #68. His status for Texas is unclear. 

So while they've had four tackles out, they've had the same starting four at LT-LG-C-RG, but have had to scramble at RT while starting an athletic former OG at LT. 

If they're warming up on Saturday with #75 at LT and #64 at RT, then it would appear that their guys are still out

Oh, and in before "it don't make a shit"

This team is too young to take anything for granted. 
This is UTSA’s Super bowl. 
First time starter at QB. 
Multiple key injuries. 

We likely won’t jump on them early, and if they get into the endzone first, it gets interesting in a hurry. 
We must dominate the LOS in this game early and often. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Atticus said:

This team is too young to take anything for granted. 
This is UTSA’s Super bowl. 
First time starter at QB. 
Multiple key injuries. 

We likely won’t jump on them early, and if they get into the endzone first, it gets interesting in a hurry. 
We must dominate the LOS in this game early and often. 

Strip sack to the house 1st drive. Blocked punt to the house 2nd drive. Interception taken back to the 10yd line. Charles Wright takes his first ever live snap, and hands it off to Bijan for 6.  21-0 good guys, with Wright taking one snap.

4 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Didn’t VT lose to Old Dominion?

Transitive property does not apply in College Football.  Each week is like a step into the closet door in the Chronicles of Narnia.  You just never know. I remember the year Case Mccoy pulled off the miracles of miracles and we stomped OU , a week after scoring like 7 points vs ISU. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/11/2022 at 7:07 PM, Atticus said:

Y'all boys are setting yourselves up for disappointment. UTSA's QB is nice, and they will score points. I'm guessing they get somewhere around 24-28 due to our lack of offensive consistency.

We really need the running game to step the fuck up this week. It'll be closer we'd like. 34-24 range.

With all due respect sir, YOU are full of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1