Wulaw Horn

I very much want Card to help us go 3-0 here, but all of our offensive success statistics got much worse once he replaced Ewers. It's not a competition anymore, he's a nice backup.

Good thing UTSA, Tech, and WVU are not Alabama. A game manager will probably be enough, wright? Tech looks likes the scariest stop, so we’ll see.

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

I thought this was Surly? We got us a bonafide QB controversy in the beginning of a important season and you don't want to talk about it? It doesn't get any juicier that this. Get some popcorn man.

QB1 Shows great potential and jumps right in front of a charging bull

QB2 Jumps onboard and keeps the train rolling with one wheel falling off

QB3 Had everyone checking the depth chart early in the 2nd half, headlines since, might start game 3

QB4 isn't ready to go, there isn't one

Everyone talking about Roshon and the Wildcat.

This is the kind of entertainment we hope for every year, you need to take a shot and a bong hit and join the party.

I do not think "QB controversy" means what you think it means.

• Hook 'Em 1

some bitchassness on this thread. we are going to curbfuck our little brother. Our dline is going to maul any offense they muster. They will get a broken QB run for a score, maybe two, but won't get over 10 to 14 points. 

I think its a great situation for Card if he goes. Or Wright if he has to. I don't think they will be game managers in the way you are thinking. I think they will have a number of deep shots to scare the D and some basic concepts to move the chains. The long out route (like Ewers to Worthy in the 1st quarter against bama) is the type of throw that is likely off the table now. That route was within the concept of a double move that Worthy did later in the game (went out and up) and was just missed with an overthrow. Sark will have to rework some of these concepts to match the arm talent of Card or Wright.

If you haven't paid attention yet - We actually have a talented offensive mind now on staff. This is certainly a test for him to scheme with a different talent set at QB, no doubt, but I think he pulls it off. His offensive planning and playcalling has been lights out. If our culture is less shit, and our team plays hard, this is over before it even starts. 

83a9496debfd650c7d791f13e7f142c1--be-fre

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Offensive statistics like points? Quinn left with 3 on the board. 

And Card left us on the 2, 15, 6, and 31 on his sustained drives and was 1-9 on 3rd downs (that 1 was a Bijan run). Then he had 4 three and outs which kept letting Alabama stick around. He was good enough to keep it close but QE converts on at least one of those and adds 4 to the board at a minimum. 

Edited by Sir Ulrich
Clarification
  • Hook 'Em 1

If keeping Card out a week to get hIm more healthy gives Texas a better chance to beat Tech, yah gotta sit Card. 

Build your gameplan around RoCat and Wright at QB.  Start Wright vs Utsa -- it's not a B12 game.  

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

I thought this was Surly? We got us a bonafide QB controversy in the beginning of a important season and you don't want to talk about it? It doesn't get any juicier that this. Get some popcorn man.

QB1 Shows great potential and jumps right in front of a charging bull

QB2 Jumps onboard and keeps the train rolling with one wheel falling off

QB3 Had everyone checking the depth chart early in the 2nd half, headlines since, might start game 3

QB4 isn't ready to go, there isn't one

Everyone talking about Roshon and the Wildcat.

This is the kind of entertainment we hope for every year, you need to take a shot and a bong hit and join the party.

royal.thumb.png.e02e29d0e81fc8845ba3f056317ef1b4.png

there is no QB controversy.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

I very much want Card to help us go 3-0 here, but all of our offensive success statistics got much worse once he replaced Ewers. It's not a competition anymore, he's a nice backup.

here are the advanced stats from the QBs for the Alabama game from Games on Paper: https://gameonpaper.com/cfb/game/401403868#player-statsimage.png.6fa8912b054bca6511fbe6a96746671d.png

here is the data from Bill C's advanced box score: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FceJORpWQAEWVP-?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

image.png.f0eb5ba8a1291bdc3f9c7d0a3c1a0595.png

if anyone thinks there is a QB controversy, they must not have watched the Alabama game at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

if anyone thinks there is a QB controversy, they must not have watched the Alabama game at all.

There isn't, and there never was.  Quinn was the starter the moment he transferred, but coaches can't say that for what should be obvious reasons.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’d rather he came out of retirement and had the Alabama game over Goggles McGee.

I remember I went to a lunch where Cooper Castleberry was the speaker I guess around 15 years ago.  He mentioned in passing that things were going toward optics.  Didn’t matter how good the refs were it was more important that the look the part.  That explains Mr Biceps/Goggles.  I guess his biceps portray fortitude and his glass signify excellent vision.  If only the Tin man had a brain.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

And Card left us on the 2, 15, 6, and 31 on his sustained drives and was 1-9 on 3rd downs (that 1 was a Bijan run). Then he had 4 three and outs which kept letting Alabama stick around. He was good enough to keep it close but QE converts on at least one of those and adds 4 to the board at a minimum. 

You have to be in it to win it. Quinn attempted suicide on the chuck and duck. He should have taken the sack.

• Fuck You 60

8 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I remember I went to a lunch where Cooper Castleberry was the speaker I guess around 15 years ago.  He mentioned in passing that things were going toward optics.  Didn’t matter how good the refs were it was more important that the look the part.  That explains Mr Biceps/Goggles.  I guess his biceps portray fortitude and his glass signify excellent vision.  If only the Tin man had a brain.  

Or was it the Scarecrow that didn’t have the brain.  Doesn’t matter these refs lack heart as well. 

26 minutes ago, NoName said:

here are the advanced stats from the QBs for the Alabama game from Games on Paper: https://gameonpaper.com/cfb/game/401403868#player-statsimage.png.6fa8912b054bca6511fbe6a96746671d.png

here is the data from Bill C's advanced box score: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FceJORpWQAEWVP-?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Thanks good stuff. The playbook went conservative when Quinn left, and the entire 2nd half Card was hurt. Let's see how this plays out.

• Fuck You 37

52 minutes ago, NoName said:

The season:

Ewers has 2 TD's, 1 int.,359 yards,69.4% on 36 attempts, 1 over 40, 1 sack

Card has 0 TD's, 0 int, 182 yards, 66.7% on 27 attempts, 1 over 40, 5 sacks 1/2 game injured

One played a patsy, and one played #1 on a bum leg. If Card were to win out through the RRS, it's his rock.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 65

7 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

The season:

Ewers has 2 TD's, 1 int.,359 yards,69.4% on 36 attempts, 1 over 40, 1 sack

Card has 0 TD's, 0 int, 182 yards, 66.7% on 27 attempts, 1 over 40, 5 sacks 1/2 game injured

One played a patsy, and one played #1 on a bum leg. If Card were to win out through the RRS, it's his rock.

go fuck your mother.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

One of the biggest criticisms of Card is that he holds the ball too long - and 'Time to Throw' stats from last year certainly back that up:

image.png.9c59320df0545096f3b20172c68fb10b.png

3.55 is ridiculously long time to hold the ball - especially on a team with a questionable OL.

The Alabama game is a very small sample size - but it looks that Card has sped up his processing at least a little bit.

image.png.dc20a9a537a6a70af7d44ce1d1ef751a.png

Aside from the ridiculous arm talent - one of Ewers best attributes may be his confidence.  He knows where he wants to go with the ball and is decisive in doing it.  Card always seems to need an extra beat to make up his mind. 

If Card is healthy one of the things I'm most interested in is how quickly he makes a decision.  Can he continue to speed up his 'process time', or does he revert to 2021 Card that gets stuck 'waiting'?

• Hook 'Em 1

FCB (tell our athletes in all sports to quit riding scooters)

— Hudson Card participated in practice on Tuesday, but was very limited with his high ankle sprain. Live reps continued to go to Texas No. 3 quarterback redshirt freshman Charles Wright.

Card is telling teammates he plans to play Saturday against UTSA, but coaches are waiting until Thursday to see how Card is feeling and moving on the ankle before making any decisions on a starting quarterback for Saturday’s game.

The staff wants Card to be as healthy as possible for Texas’ Big 12 season opener at Texas Tech on Sept. 24 and/or home game against West Virginia on Oct. 1 while Quinn Ewers continues to recover from a sternoclavicular sprain.

The target date for Ewers’ return is the Oklahoma game on Oct. 8 (with an outside chance of playing against West Virginia on Oct. 1).

— When Steve Sarkisian said freshman quarterback Maalik Murphy is not healthy, it’s because Murphy suffered a wrist injury in a scooter accident recently, team sources told Horns247.

Texas coaches were planning on redshirting Murphy this season, and the wrist injury has certainly helped contribute to those plans.

If Murphy was healthy, he’d be competing with Charles Wright to be the team’s No. 3 quarterback. With Murphy’s injury, Wright is the No. 3 quarterback with walk-ons Ben Ballard and Cole Lourd vying for the fourth spot on the QB depth chart.

Murphy enrolled in January but was sidelined during spring football while recovering from surgery to repair a broken ankle suffered in his high school state championship game in California in December.

— There’s a good chance fifth-year senior cornerback D'Shawn Jamison will be held out of Saturday’s game against UTSA with his left ankle injury.

Jamier Johnson replaced Jamison in the Alabama game and held up well. So did true freshman Austin Jordan, who has been backing up Ryan Watts at the boundary cornerback position.

Jordan replaced Watts for about 15 plays in the Alabama game and made a nice play on a screen pass, combining with nickel Jahdae Barron for a 4-yard tackle for loss on Alabama running back Jahmyr Gibbs.

“Ryan Watts has to come out and Austin Jordan’s in the game for about 15 plays as a true freshman,” coach Steve Sarkisian said. “I don't know if he thought going into that game he was going to play 15 snaps, but he went in there, and he played well and tackled well. That's the importance of it, because you never know when your number is going to get called.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3