Wulaw Horn

7 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Pretty sure GP is the eyes in the sky up in the box.

According to ESPN:

Ewers immediately grabbed his left shoulder after the hit and stayed down on the field while special assistant to the head coach Gary Patterson and trainers attended to him. After going to the sideline, Ewers went to the medical tent before then heading to the locker room with a towel over his head.

• Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, justhookit said:

GP’s towel? Gross.

I don’t give a fuck if how that towel smells, as long as it helps the defense hold up for 56 minutes against the Almighty SEC Alabama 🙂

plus, if it DOES stink to high hell, it might be more effective than smelling salts, too

Edited by turtlepond
Typo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, SlingeroGuitaro said:

Patterson was definitely on the field again ULM. He would be about 40 yards upfield of the play, both when on offense and defense. During timeouts he would confer with Sark then head back over.

How was signaling in the plays then? One towel wipe across the forehead for man and two towel wipes for zone?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NoName said:

got any actual receipts for this? or just making shit up.

Christ! "the myth of Traylor" - when a guy wins 87% of his games over 14 years in TSHXFB, goes to SMU and Arkansas and gets the Assistant Head Coach role at both places then is the 3rd coach ever at UTSA and has success (guys ahead of him were Larry Coker, who won 44% of games and Frank Wilson who won 39% of games, Traylor is currently over 70%) then his results sure seem to speak for themselves to me.

...but sure, the "myth" of Traylor is only carried on by 9.95ers lol not from his actual results.

Tom Herman didn't want to keep him because he wasn't one of his guys, not because he wasn't a good coach. and also of course that is exactly what Tom Herman (why are we believing him in this scenario anyway?) would say to poison the well.

as a reminder THIS was the Texas Longhorns coaching staff in 2017. certainly an offensive staff of Tim Beck, Stan Drayton, Corby Meekins, Drew Mehringer, Derek Wareheim is just full of juggernauts.

image.png.827561e078dd6f5a91aceef8b3811b30.png

Seriously, did I ever claim anything good about Herman or his staff?  If your going to cite win percentage as a determinant factor at small schools in recruiting hotbeds, then I will refer you to Tom Herman's 85% win percentage at UH.  Traylor is a fantastic recruiter, but he isn't the 2nd coming of DKR or Bear Bryant or whomever people make him out to be.  

And yes, it was obvious as could be when Traylor left who he was feeding info to because they all of a sudden fell off the face of the earth on coverage.  Traylor was rumored to be FCB's primary source for info when he was on the staff.  FCB's coverage and inside information dropped to zilch after Traylor was let go and FCB was one of the biggest drum beaters for how big of a mistake that was.  In addition, FCB still goes out of his way to be exuberant in any praise he can possibly throw Traylor's way. 

Lets look at some evidence:

Who broke the news that Traylor was being hired.....FCB

Who broke the news that Traylor got a pay raise.....FCB

Who broke the news that Fenves, Perrin, Strong, and UT run-game coordinator Jeff Traylor(shocking) flew to Tulsa to hire Gilbert--FCB

Who broke the news that Traylor wasn't retained---FCB

Who just had a preview of the game with the opposing coach--FCB

I am not an insider, but I do know people who know things.  The commonly held belief among them is that Traylor was one of the sources for the Bonito hit piece from FCB.

"The myth of Traylor" comment has nothing to do with what he did at Gilmer, but it is entirely based on the idiot belief that that somehow makes him this fantastical coach at UTSA that Texas should be terrified of.  

UTSA isn't disciplined on offense, defense, or special teams.  They don't execute particularly well, and talent wise they are good for their level, but there isn't anyone on their roster that we are watching in the transfer portal.  He has the most talented team in Conference USA and that is how he did so well last year until they got beat by SDSU, a game they were supposed to win.  He tried to out-athlete a bad UH team and lost, and managed to out-athlete a pathetically bad Army team.

Traylor is a good recruiter(some would argue that was why he was so good at Gilmer.....but that's another conversation) and a good motivator, but he isn't some giant killer coach, and he for dang sure was FCB's source among others.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

The commonly held belief among them is that Traylor was one of the sources for the Bonito hit piece from FCB.

Traylor wasn't even on staff when the hit piece was released. Are you saying he was still feeding FCB info on Texas while he was the RB coach at SMU?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Traylor wasn't even on staff when the hit piece was released. Are you saying he was still feeding FCB info on Texas while he was the RB coach at SMU?

That is the opinion of some yes. Now, as a coach at a competing school in the same state(technically competing against UT), that fact doesn't actually bother me that much, what's bad for UT could be good for SMU, and the whole world knows Traylor hates Herman so.....  I just pointed it out as a tie to FCB.

10 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Seriously, did I ever claim anything good about Herman or his staff?  If your going to cite win percentage as a determinant factor at small schools in recruiting hotbeds, then I will refer you to Tom Herman's 85% win percentage at UH.  Traylor is a fantastic recruiter, but he isn't the 2nd coming of DKR or Bear Bryant or whomever people make him out to be.  

And yes, it was obvious as could be when Traylor left who he was feeding info to because they all of a sudden fell off the face of the earth on coverage.  Traylor was rumored to be FCB's primary source for info when he was on the staff.  FCB's coverage and inside information dropped to zilch after Traylor was let go and FCB was one of the biggest drum beaters for how big of a mistake that was.  In addition, FCB still goes out of his way to be exuberant in any praise he can possibly throw Traylor's way. 

Lets look at some evidence:

Who broke the news that Traylor was being hired.....FCB

Who broke the news that Traylor got a pay raise.....FCB

Who broke the news that Fenves, Perrin, Strong, and UT run-game coordinator Jeff Traylor(shocking) flew to Tulsa to hire Gilbert--FCB

Who broke the news that Traylor wasn't retained---FCB

Who just had a preview of the game with the opposing coach--FCB

I am not an insider, but I do know people who know things.  The commonly held belief among them is that Traylor was one of the sources for the Bonito hit piece from FCB.

"The myth of Traylor" comment has nothing to do with what he did at Gilmer, but it is entirely based on the idiot belief that that somehow makes him this fantastical coach at UTSA that Texas should be terrified of.  

UTSA isn't disciplined on offense, defense, or special teams.  They don't execute particularly well, and talent wise they are good for their level, but there isn't anyone on their roster that we are watching in the transfer portal.  He has the most talented team in Conference USA and that is how he did so well last year until they got beat by SDSU, a game they were supposed to win.  He tried to out-athlete a bad UH team and lost, and managed to out-athlete a pathetically bad Army team.

Traylor is a good recruiter(some would argue that was why he was so good at Gilmer.....but that's another conversation) and a good motivator, but he isn't some giant killer coach, and he for dang sure was FCB's source among others.

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

UTSA scored 14 points in the first half against Army and 7 came on a punt that hit the Army return man in the leg that they recovered to start out 1st and goal on the one.  They are also one of the most penalized teams in football through two games and Army was getting good pressure on the QB.  

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

UTSA scored 14 points in the first half against Army and 7 came on a punt that hit the Army return man in the leg that they recovered to start out 1st and goal on the one.  They are also one of the most penalized teams in football through two games and Army was getting good pressure on the QB.  

Even with our QB situation, I don't really understand how the line is as low as it is. And that's exactly what concerns me. Vegas isn't dumb.

Edited by Tex-19

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Even with our QB situation, I don't really understand how the line is as low as it is. And that's exactly what concerns me. Vegas isn't dumb.

Not sure I’d give Vegas as much credit. They whiffed on both Ala-20.5 and completely missed aggy-19. Just saying…

17 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

They are calling for a comfortable 37-24 game. Makes sense with potentially a 3rd string QB. UTSA does have a very good QB. 

22 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I always envisioned it being somewhere in the ballpark of a 17/17.5 point spread if Ewers was healthy, so 12.5 makes sense. A 4.5 point downgrade for our QB situation is warranted. 

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I always envisioned it being somewhere in the ballpark of a 17/17.5 point spread if Ewers was healthy, so 12.5 makes sense. A 4.5 point downgrade for our QB situation is warranted. 

What? If Ewers was healthy, it would be about as close as the ULM game was. I still lean towards it being over by the 3Q. UTSA doesn't have anything they can do to keep our skill talent from running up and down the field against their slow players. Their OL is going to get destroyed all game long, Harris will make some plays, but not enough to score more than Alabama did.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

What? If Ewers was healthy, it would be about as close as the ULM game was. I still lean towards it being over by the 3Q. UTSA doesn't have anything they can do to keep our skill talent from running up and down the field against their slow players. Their OL is going to get destroyed all game long, Harris will make some plays, but not enough to score more than Alabama did.

The issues are UTSA has been solid vs the run, bad vs the pass

Texas OL hasn’t been great run blocking. Texas is likely to have a 3rd string QB. 
Can the QB throw enough to open things up? Ewers playing and this is much easier. Who knows how Wright will look, if he plays 

Texas has a bigger advantage on defense. The only question is can the edges be disciplined, so the QB doesn’t get 70-80 yards. 

I think Texas wears them down, but I wouldn’t be surprised if UTSA hangs around awhile. 

Edited by Codaxx

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

What? If Ewers was healthy, it would be about as close as the ULM game was.

Huh? The ULM spread was 38 points. They are one of the worst FBS programs in the country. Quinn Ewers is not worth 26 points to a spread.

I'm not saying I expect us to lose, but UTSA has some nice pieces in key spots (QB, WR) that can keep them in the game. They would run laps about ULM just like we did.

Edited by Hookem2147

50 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

They should feel confident about this seeing that our referee corps is extremely weak.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, turtlepond said:

I don’t give a fuck if how that towel smells, as long as it helps the defense hold up for 56 minutes against the Almighty SEC Alabama 🙂

plus, if it DOES stink to high hell, it might be more effective than smelling salts, too

GP towel soaked in a pot of water would make a hearty soup stock.

Charles Wright  - 12/18, 187 yards   2 Td, 1 int   
Take it to the bank  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The issues are UTSA has been solid vs the run, bad vs the pass

Texas OL hasn’t been great run blocking. Texas is likely to have a 3rd string QB. 
Can the QB throw enough to open things up? Ewers playing and this is much easier. 

Texas has a bigger advantage on defense. The only question is can the edges be disciplined, so the QB doesn’t get 70-80 yards. 

I think Texas wears them down, but I wouldn’t be surprised if UTSA hangs around awhile. 

Texas didn't try to run the ball against ULM, and UTSA is not Alabama. If UTSA wants to load the box to take away the run game, then let them. Because simple screens to our WRs on the perimeter or getting Robinson matched up with a LB is an easy throw for our QB. They don't have the speed to play with our skill guys in space. I welcome their attempts to take away the run game.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, no. If Ewers is healthy that means we probably won last week. It would be well above 20. There's no way the difference between Quinn and whoever is playing Saturday is less than a TD.

Bama slowed game down...

Screenshot_20220914-182557_kindlephoto-5688420.thumb.png.48fafa73facb116dcc9ce6738c8c2ce4.png 

Looks like 63 offensive plays Bama, to 67 plays for Texas.  Horns needs to play more guys vs. Utsa to build necessary depth for B12 offenses...

Expecting to see most B12 teams running more plays -- closer to 80+ plays/game when they face Texas.

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Bama slowed game down...

Screenshot_20220914-182557_kindlephoto-5688420.thumb.png.48fafa73facb116dcc9ce6738c8c2ce4.png 

Looks like 63 offensive plays Bama, to 67 plays for Texas.  Horns needs to play more guys vs. Utsa to build necessary depth for B12 offenses...

Expecting to see most B12 teams running more plays -- closer to 80+ plays/game when they face Texas.

They ran 63 offensive plays because we were stuffing their ass (nice) and forcing punts. Not because of tempo.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

Idk. While non conference so meh, it’s big for momentum given the circumstances.

Remember when we got blown out in back to back weekends by BYU and Ole Miss and still almost won the Big 12? This isn't even close to the most important game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

Remember when we got blown out in back to back weekends by BYU and Ole Miss and still almost won the Big 12? This isn't even close to the most important game. 

Definitely not most. But definitely not least. Close loss to Bama followed by a loss to your unranked feeder school resets the narrative to us being trash.

• Hook 'Em 1