Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Put me down as not thinking that happens if we lose this week. 

The UTSA game objectively matters the least if we lose it than any remaining game. Whether it translates into more losses or not is hypothetical bullshit. 

If you actually think the UTSA game matters more than the OU, Tech, Kansas, OSU games et al then holy shit, dude. 

Like @Eggo pointed out - you can always rebound and go on a run. It's college football. Especially because our starting QB isn't even playing. 

But it doesn't matter because we aren't losing to these system-school wannabes. They're entering a world of pain for 60 minutes on Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

The UTSA game objectively matters the least if we lose it than any remaining game. Whether it translates into more losses or not is hypothetical bullshit. 

If you actually think the UTSA game matters more than the OU, Tech, Kansas, OSU games et al then holy shit, dude. 

Like @Eggo pointed out - you can always rebound and go on a run. It's college football. Especially because our starting QB isn't even playing. 

But it doesn't matter because we aren't losing to these system-school wannabes. They're entering a world of pain for 60 minutes on Saturday. 

Objectively, sure. Context matters and this is a pivotal point for multiple reasons. Again, was not agreeing this is the most important game. That is always played in Dallas, even if objectively OU doesn’t always matter in W/L.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

Again, was not agreeing this is the most important game. That is always played in Dallas, even if objectively OU doesn’t always matter in W/L.

Yeah, and I didn't think you were. My point is that in a lot of ways this is the least important remaining game. But for that to be true I'm going down my own road of wild hypotheticals - chief among them that the home crowd doesn't all kill themselves post UTSA loss and at the same time the team somehow rebounds to tear through the B12. 

16 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

Seriously, did I ever claim anything good about Herman or his staff?  If your going to cite win percentage as a determinant factor at small schools in recruiting hotbeds, then I will refer you to Tom Herman's 85% win percentage at UH.  Traylor is a fantastic recruiter, but he isn't the 2nd coming of DKR or Bear Bryant or whomever people make him out to be.  

And yes, it was obvious as could be when Traylor left who he was feeding info to because they all of a sudden fell off the face of the earth on coverage.  Traylor was rumored to be FCB's primary source for info when he was on the staff.  FCB's coverage and inside information dropped to zilch after Traylor was let go and FCB was one of the biggest drum beaters for how big of a mistake that was.  In addition, FCB still goes out of his way to be exuberant in any praise he can possibly throw Traylor's way. 

Lets look at some evidence:

Who broke the news that Traylor was being hired.....FCB

Who broke the news that Traylor got a pay raise.....FCB

Who broke the news that Fenves, Perrin, Strong, and UT run-game coordinator Jeff Traylor(shocking) flew to Tulsa to hire Gilbert--FCB

Who broke the news that Traylor wasn't retained---FCB

Who just had a preview of the game with the opposing coach--FCB

I am not an insider, but I do know people who know things.  The commonly held belief among them is that Traylor was one of the sources for the Bonito hit piece from FCB.

"The myth of Traylor" comment has nothing to do with what he did at Gilmer, but it is entirely based on the idiot belief that that somehow makes him this fantastical coach at UTSA that Texas should be terrified of.  

UTSA isn't disciplined on offense, defense, or special teams.  They don't execute particularly well, and talent wise they are good for their level, but there isn't anyone on their roster that we are watching in the transfer portal.  He has the most talented team in Conference USA and that is how he did so well last year until they got beat by SDSU, a game they were supposed to win.  He tried to out-athlete a bad UH team and lost, and managed to out-athlete a pathetically bad Army team.

Traylor is a good recruiter(some would argue that was why he was so good at Gilmer.....but that's another conversation) and a good motivator, but he isn't some giant killer coach, and he for dang sure was FCB's source among others.

literally no one is calling him the second coming of DKR or Bear Bryant. literally, no one.

a ton of 9.95ers, NOT JUST FCB, called Tom Herman letting Traylor go a huge mistake. because it was.

i have no clue if that who is broke all that news, it was years ago. also it's pretty well known that FCB had access through the admin/AD office (not the staff) which would explain literally every single one of those things. where did you copy/paste that text from, because it wasn't typed in by you (shows as a different font and a white background)

the bonito thing is lazy. why would Traylor, who has done everything possible to make the Texas job a future option, shit on the program at that point? also was he even on staff when that was written? wasn't that a Herman-led staff?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.11a0c39dc252fceb9a8649619aa3ddc2.png

win % was used to show how bad of a program he was taking over. UTSA was really damn bad under Frank Wilson. they are better under Traylor. are we really saying that UTSA, coming off a guy who won under 40% of his games while coach at a program who has existed 11 years is the same as Tom Herman replacing a guy who won 55% of his games at U of H?  and being 4 years removed from Sumlin winning 67% of his games?

literally no one thinks texas should be terrified of UTSA or Traylor. this includes Vegas (Texas is 12.5 point favorites with the updated line even with the QB injury news and with Bijan hurt), the advanced systems that predict games (prediction tracker has 48 ratings/prediction systems and all but 1 pick Texas, the one who does is currently 47th of 48 for the year and thinks its under a 3 point game), anyone on the team or anyone here on Surly.

you can say all the stuff you want to about them vs their talent level or them being projected to win the SDSU game (2021 final FEI UTSA = #49, San Diego St = #55 separated by 0.05 points per possession.) funny that you shit on Houston and Army when both are better that UTSA when using FEI for 2022 (Army is 63, Houston is 55, UTSA is 75 - SP+ has them as Houston being 49, Army 79 and UTSA 59)

i just don't get the hate on traylor for literally no reason other than you think he was FCB's mouthpiece - and i still want to know where the copy/paste is from. you are making an argument against him that literally no one is making around here at least. no one thinks he is a giant killer. no one thinks Texas is actually going to lose this game - EVEN WITH CHARLES WRIGHT PLAYING EVERY QB SNAP and no one thinks UTSA is some phenomenal team. but if you want to shit on him, go ahead.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Mackovic lost to Rice, but I can’t remember if that was before or after the swc broke up.

After. 

Anytime a team is down to its 3rd string QB, some level of concern is justified. We just went 5-7 so it’s not like we are incapable of losing to a lesser team. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Wasnt Rice still a member of the SWC in fal 1994?

Yes.  In fact, Mackovic's loss to Rice that year helped Rice get a share of the SWC title that year (because aggy was ineligible).  The last year of the SWC was the following year, and Texas won that conference title outright.

Edited by South Austin

B12 Advanced FB Stats

Charts:

These are per drive and drive rate stats for offense and defense not including garbage time for each team.

FcemKaJXoAQejIQ?format=png&name=large

These are per play, average start, success rate, and havoc stats for offense and defense not including garbage time for each team.

Fcems-yWYAYDTig?format=png&name=large

these are not

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

Seriously, did I ever claim anything good about Herman or his staff?  If your going to cite win percentage as a determinant factor at small schools in recruiting hotbeds, then I will refer you to Tom Herman's 85% win percentage at UH.  Traylor is a fantastic recruiter, but he isn't the 2nd coming of DKR or Bear Bryant or whomever people make him out to be.  

And yes, it was obvious as could be when Traylor left who he was feeding info to because they all of a sudden fell off the face of the earth on coverage.  Traylor was rumored to be FCB's primary source for info when he was on the staff.  FCB's coverage and inside information dropped to zilch after Traylor was let go and FCB was one of the biggest drum beaters for how big of a mistake that was.  In addition, FCB still goes out of his way to be exuberant in any praise he can possibly throw Traylor's way. 

Lets look at some evidence:

Who broke the news that Traylor was being hired.....FCB

Who broke the news that Traylor got a pay raise.....FCB

Who broke the news that Fenves, Perrin, Strong, and UT run-game coordinator Jeff Traylor(shocking) flew to Tulsa to hire Gilbert--FCB

Who broke the news that Traylor wasn't retained---FCB

Who just had a preview of the game with the opposing coach--FCB

I am not an insider, but I do know people who know things.  The commonly held belief among them is that Traylor was one of the sources for the Bonito hit piece from FCB.

"The myth of Traylor" comment has nothing to do with what he did at Gilmer, but it is entirely based on the idiot belief that that somehow makes him this fantastical coach at UTSA that Texas should be terrified of.  

UTSA isn't disciplined on offense, defense, or special teams.  They don't execute particularly well, and talent wise they are good for their level, but there isn't anyone on their roster that we are watching in the transfer portal.  He has the most talented team in Conference USA and that is how he did so well last year until they got beat by SDSU, a game they were supposed to win.  He tried to out-athlete a bad UH team and lost, and managed to out-athlete a pathetically bad Army team.

Traylor is a good recruiter(some would argue that was why he was so good at Gilmer.....but that's another conversation) and a good motivator, but he isn't some giant killer coach, and he for dang sure was FCB's source among others.

frustrated idiot GIF

I don't know the veracity of the Bonnito story coming from Traylor and frankly don't care.

I do think he talked to them while he was at Texas, which is why they really love him.  They're a pretty transparent bunch, those $9.95ers. 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don't know the veracity of the Bonnito story coming from Traylor and frankly don't care.

I do think he talked to them while he was at Texas, which is why they really love him.  They're a pretty transparent bunch, those $9.95ers. 

I don't remember there being a story about Bonitto. If memory serves correctly (it probably doesn't) FCB wrote that Orlando was in talks with a school (SMU?) about their HC vacancy and Orlando was in serious consideration. This was after a stellar defensive year & before the real Orlando reared his ugly face. He also wrote that Shane Buechele was unhappy with something I think having to do with how his injury was handled or playing time vs. Sam E. & that the locker room was a mess because of Herman. That story came the week of - maybe just a day or 2 before - early signing day, right after we had a slew of predictions for Bonitto to us. All of those predictions changed to OU shortly after the article hit job was released & the national "insiders" were very vague about why saying things like "things suddenly changed" "not really sure but it was all UT yesterday & it's all OU today". Most people just kind of put 2 & 2 together & still blame FCB to this day even though he swears Bonitto doesn't even remember the hit job that he put out. I personally buy that it had something to do with the reversal in the decision &, even if it didn't, screw FCB for releasing that garbage right before signing day anyways. 

Fast forward several years & Bonitto is breaking Casey's thumb in the RRS & our season quickly goes from promising to in the toilet. So FCB for that as well.

ETA: Traylor 100% wasn't on staff at the time. Pretty sure the locker room stuff was from a player or his parents (which may be why the Buecheles weren't happy about their son being named). Not sure about the Orlando to SMU stuff because Traylor was on staff at SMU for the 2017 season. Seems unlikely, but I wasn't here when all of that went down so maybe that's been discussed elsewhere on the board.

Edited by hook me
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm no more plugged in than last year to the locker room, I keep telling you guys and you aren't listening - this is very very different from last year.

A nugget from spending about an hour with the Burnt Ends, they want to set an example. I feel kinda bad for UTSA, because they are going to be the outlet of a lot of frustration at how last weeks result ended up. 

Sounds to me like the full playbook (as much as it can with Wright running it) is going to be open. This won't be a vanilla offense/defense like it was against ULM.