Wulaw Horn

Looking forward to being there.  Just happens to  be the TISCA Swim Coaches convention in Austin this weekend, so I get to be at my first game since the Notre Dame home win.

After attending Texas, I was a season ticket holder for almost 10 years. But I graduated from UTSA and once the football program started, I've been in the Alamodome every home game since.  I thought about wearing a Roadrunner shirt and a Longhorn hat. Just doesn't make sense.  I will pull for UTSA.  But.... I will also be thrilled when I see Texas looking good. 

I love college football, and these are the two teams I love to support. Can't wait.  I expect a Texas win, but I would love to see a good game. 

• Hook 'Em 8

2 hours ago, wood said:

Gatti's number was 459-2222. I know this very well because when I lived in Jester East in the 80s, our number was 495-2222. People (probably some of you fuckers) would call us all day and night, trying to order pizzas, and we'd have to tell them the right number, etc. Some stupid fuckers would call at like 3-4 am, long after Gatti's closed. We eventually got tired of that shit, and just started taking their order and telling them it would be there in 30 minutes. We'd do that til we went to bed, and then unplug the phone.  Sometimes people would call us back, irate, and we'd tell 'em shit like 'The driver says he knocked on your door, and nobody answered. He's headed back to you now', etc, etc. Good times, I guess. /csb

So you are responsible for them going out of business?  I miss Gatti's.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yup. If Card starts, the either means his injury wasnt that bad or they are expecting Ewers back for Tech

What?   Is my meter misadjusted?   What does ewers have to do with cars starting?  

Did I just get greenspointed? 

53 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Alright I’ve seen enough. We better blow these bird fucks out by 35 points. Maybe next year we can film a video of X Worthy taking a shit in the middle of their campus. Score prediction: Tex 49 San Antonio Commuter School 14. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, horn4life said:

IF we have raised the bar. there will be nearly no starters playing in the 4th quarter, and we will get a glimmer of Malik. 

I like your post but Malik fell off a scooter and is injured so we won’t see him even if we run their asses out of the building in the first half. 

8 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Feel a lot better after watching this. Wright looks like a gamer. Sark will also have a game plan to keep him comfortable and confident.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/9970085/5fc6a59a02b320106002e47d

He made some damn good plays against that stout westlake defense, shit I ain’t even worried about getting Quinn back now. Show me a loss 

9 minutes ago, Classic Rock said:

Gatti's is still in business. We order from them all the time. 459-2222 still works as well.

It's my kids' favorite fast food pizza so we eat it a couple of times per month.   Tastes exactly the same as it did after my little league football and soccer games in the 80s so I'm cool with that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

Looking forward to being there.  Just happens to  be the TISCA Swim Coaches convention in Austin this weekend, so I get to be at my first game since the Notre Dame home win.

After attending Texas, I was a season ticket holder for almost 10 years. But I graduated from UTSA and once the football program started, I've been in the Alamodome every home game since.  I thought about wearing a Roadrunner shirt and a Longhorn hat. Just doesn't make sense.  I will pull for UTSA.  But.... I will also be thrilled when I see Texas looking good. 

I love college football, and these are the two teams I love to support. Can't wait.  I expect a Texas win, but I would love to see a good game. 

nahfuckallthat.gif

7 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

Alright I’ve seen enough. We better blow these bird fucks out by 35 points. Maybe next year we can film a video of X Worthy taking a shit in the middle of their campus. Score prediction: Tex 49 San Antonio Commuter School 14. 

the UTSA Bird Fucks!

Its such an inspirational story....

A BIRD IN THE HAND

The genesis of the roadrunner hand sign

Rowdy Bird Sign

The story about how the roadrunner hand sign came to be is another bit of legend where memories and recollections have to be trusted. Back in 2010, Joe Michael Feist, Sombrilla Magazine’s associate editor, wrote that the story unfolded on a Thursday night at Wurstfest in New Braunfels in 1979, when there were signs, signs, everywhere a sign. Except a roadrunner hand sign. And that didn’t seem right to a group of pledge brothers from UTSA about to join Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.

Charles Guerra ’84, who was there that night, claims that was the birth of the roadrunner hand sign as we know it today. “It was some kind of college night,” says Guerra, who earned a B.B.A. in fi nance and economics. “There were kids from colleges all over Texas. And they all started doing their hand signals—the gig ’em from the Aggies, hook ’em from the Longhorns, the Baylor claw. And somebody asked where we were from and what our mascot was. UTSA wasn’t very well known then. We said ‘Roadrunners,’ and they asked what our hand sign was. We realized we didn’t have one.”

Fueled by a few cold beverages, a “creative spirit” took hold of the group, Guerra recalls.

Eddie Rios ’85 (B.B.A. in marketing) was another pledge brother at Wurstfest that night: “We all started talking about school spirit and traditions, and just began trying out different signals with our hands. Soon, we started throwing out the thumb and the pinkie and yelling beep-beep like the roadrunner cartoon.”

It seemed to fit, Guerra remembers: “Somebody said the thumb is the beak and the little finger is the tail.”

The pledge brothers took their creation back to campus where, Guerra adds, there weren’t many opportunities to flash the sign. There were no intercollegiate sports at the time; basketball wouldn’t start for another two years. But the hand signal survived, ultimately thrived and became, at least for UTSA, the sign of the times.

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

A BIRD IN THE HAND

The genesis of the roadrunner hand sign

Rowdy Bird Sign

The story about how the roadrunner hand sign came to be is another bit of legend where memories and recollections have to be trusted. Back in 2010, Joe Michael Feist, Sombrilla Magazine’s associate editor, wrote that the story unfolded on a Thursday night at Wurstfest in New Braunfels in 1979, when there were signs, signs, everywhere a sign. Except a roadrunner hand sign. And that didn’t seem right to a group of pledge brothers from UTSA about to join Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.

Charles Guerra ’84, who was there that night, claims that was the birth of the roadrunner hand sign as we know it today. “It was some kind of college night,” says Guerra, who earned a B.B.A. in fi nance and economics. “There were kids from colleges all over Texas. And they all started doing their hand signals—the gig ’em from the Aggies, hook ’em from the Longhorns, the Baylor claw. And somebody asked where we were from and what our mascot was. UTSA wasn’t very well known then. We said ‘Roadrunners,’ and they asked what our hand sign was. We realized we didn’t have one.”

Fueled by a few cold beverages, a “creative spirit” took hold of the group, Guerra recalls.

Eddie Rios ’85 (B.B.A. in marketing) was another pledge brother at Wurstfest that night: “We all started talking about school spirit and traditions, and just began trying out different signals with our hands. Soon, we started throwing out the thumb and the pinkie and yelling beep-beep like the roadrunner cartoon.”

It seemed to fit, Guerra remembers: “Somebody said the thumb is the beak and the little finger is the tail.”

The pledge brothers took their creation back to campus where, Guerra adds, there weren’t many opportunities to flash the sign. There were no intercollegiate sports at the time; basketball wouldn’t start for another two years. But the hand signal survived, ultimately thrived and became, at least for UTSA, the sign of the times.

I like the "Pirate Bird" better

grackle.png.a27adde38aeac6023a741d202151a725.png.0ec1de771dc8e8a42909cf377ef80eab.png

BON sucks, but I like this thought experiment

I guess I'd say that I'm cool scheduling a UT system school as one of our two cupcakes, and I think it's good for the team they're a bit stronger than ULM, but UTSA doesn't even move the needle for me as much as UTEP does in terms of the school itself. El Paso is weird (in a good way) and has football tradition. UTSA doesn't have much distinctiveness yet.

BON sucks, but I like this thought experiment
I guess I'd say that I'm cool scheduling a UT system school as one of our two cupcakes, and I think it's good for the team they're a bit stronger than ULM, but UTSA doesn't even move the needle for me as much as UTEP does in terms of the school itself. El Paso is weird (in a good way) and has football tradition. UTSA doesn't have much distinctiveness yet.

There’s nothing special about UTSA in particular, but I’d prefer to have cupcake games basically kept to in state publics, plus Rice (just given the history). Would just rather give the paychecks to in state programs, and if it comes to it, I’d rather get embarrassed by UTSA or Texas State or whoever than App State.
  • Hook 'Em 7