Wulaw Horn

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm merely saying I don't think using raw passing stats from the Army game is terribly useful here when considering Army's offense

Regarding Houston's offense sucking, I think it's too early to tell

UH's offense didn't hit their stride last year until the 4th or 5th game. Tune was awful in the beginning of the season last year and he has repeated it this year, not to mention that UH WRs have dropped a lot of passes, and they can't run the ball because their OL is not good and their best RB blew out his knee in spring practice. UTSA may have a good defense, but basing it off the UH game is not a good data point at this time.

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This.  They had a completely different game plan against Army than they will against Texas regardless of who is at QB.   Pretty hard to take anything away from watching a team play that offense.

See I don't really agree with this either. 

When Ballard is the QB, Army really doesn't run a triple option offense. They have a lot of motion but he sits in the pocket and throws the ball. UTSA knew that was coming after watching the opener vs Coastal Carolina. 

Do people think the passing yards happened from Ballard because the triple option is difficult to defend? Because that's not what Army does with Ballard. 

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

UH's offense didn't hit their stride last year until the 4th or 5th game. Tune was awful in the beginning of the season last year and he has repeated it this year, not to mention that UH WRs have dropped a lot of passes, and they can't run the ball because their OL is not good and their best RB blew out his knee in spring practice. UTSA may have a good defense, but basing it off the UH game is not a good data point at this time.

Houston only has 1 good WR and McCaskil was a stud at RB last year. That injury should have really lowered the bar on this team. 

I really do think Kansas can beat this team. 

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

Against Houston, UTSA was mostly sitting in a two-deep shell and asking Houston to run on a light box

Against Army, UTSA had nine in the box in cover zero 

That’s bad coaching then. It was obvious with Ballard that Army likes to sling it. Even from the opener against Coastal Carolina. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Some media types disagree with coaches who hide injuries. I’m not one of them, not in college football.

Kansas State’s Bill Snyder, one of the cagiest coaches of all time, notoriously almost never reported injuries in an effort to give his team every advantage possible.

Sure, it’s likely disingenuous for Sark to claim Ewers day-to-day, but Sark also followed that prognosis up with the fact that none of the players, including Ewers, required surgery.

IMO, he gave the media what they deserved. Enough to write but not the real goods. Fine by me.

It's remarkable how much leeway a coach is given by the media when his team is performing well. If we had gotten blown out by Alabama and showed no promise, the media would have been calling for his head in an attempt to validate the angry fanbase. As it is, they paint him as some sort of chessmaster. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Not to be Debbie Downer but lost in the haze of this past weekend is Utah State losing to Weber State at home 35-7. 

That's a somewhat interesting data point. They seem really shitty. 

Why is that bad news for us? Alabama was up 55-0 after less than 35 minutes of boring vanilla football. They could have scored 100 easily. Utah State looks like they are awful but Alabama treated them like a really good team treats an awful team. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Why is that bad news for us? Alabama was up 55-0 after less than 35 minutes of boring vanilla football. They could have scored 100 easily. Utah State looks like they are awful but Alabama treated them like a really good team treats an awful team. 

Correct. Anyone who allows a 180 pound QB to pad his follow-up Heisman campaign with a 100 yard rushing game is probably not the best. 

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm not saying it's bad news for us. A lot of folks seemed to think Utah State was a pretty good football team and the shut-out Bama had was really impressive. Not that I bought that - but it was a talking point. 

There's an outside chance that this Bama team is very good but not a world-beater like they've been propped up to be. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

A lot of folks seemed to think Utah State was a pretty good football team

And a lot of people thought we were going to be a bad team with a shitty defense, again. 

Professional CFB people are paid to be wrong and pretend they know how 18-22 years are going to perform. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And a lot of people thought we were going to be a bad team with a shitty defense, again. 

Professional CFB people are paid to be wrong and pretend they know how 18-22 years are going to perform. 

I guess my point is that it's week 3 and it's too early to know who Texas and Bama will actually be this season. 

Not that I'm particularly concerned about UTSA. 

26 minutes ago, Eggo said:

It's remarkable how much leeway a coach is given by the media when his team is performing well. If we had gotten blown out by Alabama and showed no promise, the media would have been calling for his head in an attempt to validate the angry fanbase. As it is, they paint him as some sort of chessmaster. 

Fuck the media who covers Texas. I hope Sark and future coaches continue to not release depth charts, short answer them, and so on. They don’t need to know every little thing. Their job is to report what they’re told. Instead our media likes to make news instead of report it.  Our media is more entitled than anything in our program. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not saying it's bad news for us. A lot of folks seemed to think Utah State was a pretty good football team and the shut-out Bama had was really impressive. Not that I bought that - but it was a talking point. 

There's an outside chance that this Bama team is very good but not a world-beater like they've been propped up to be. 

That was my take on this Bama team as well. They are probably going to drop one conference game somewhere during the season, but are still likely to win a down SEC West and then play UGA for a spot in the CFP. Not one of Saban’s vintage teams, but still likely top 5 nationally.  

5 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

That was my take on this Bama team as well. They are probably going to drop one conference game somewhere during the season, but are still likely to win a down SEC West and then play UGA for a spot in the CFP. Not one of Saban’s vintage teams, but still likely top 5 nationally.  

You're really going out on a limb there 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

One of the things that stood out to me when looking at UTSA's offense is they are pretty big on the offensive line. Their LG is 340, center is 325, RG is 335. The guy they have been playing at LT is 335. The RT they have been trotting out is only 295.

Just be glad this grizzly bear is starting for the 49ers now and not the Roadrunners.

Burford_web.png

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

One of the things that stood out to me when looking at UTSA's offense is they are pretty big on the offensive line. Their LG is 340, center is 325, RG is 335. The guy they have been playing at LT is 335. The RT they have been trotting out is only 295.

I don't care how fat they are - that line is trash.  

That RT has a 0.0 pass block grade on PFF. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't care how fat they are - that line is trash.  

That RT has a 0.0 pass block grade on PFF. 

Their weakness is the OL and secondary. 

What's your takeaway based on the PFF grades for the defense? Based on just watching the games, nothing scares me from their defense but maybe the PFF grades say otherwise. 

To me, UTEP has a good QB and some weapons at WR. That's the team. 

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

You're really going out on a limb there 

I mean, ATM was a top 5 team nationally 2 years ago (and top 6 this year until Saturday) so it’s not a mark of an invincible juggernaut. Pre-season there was some talk about this being one of Saban’s best teams and I just didn’t see that on Saturday. 

3 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I mean, ATM was a top 5 team nationally 2 years ago (and top 6 this year until Saturday) so it’s not a mark of an invincible juggernaut. Pre-season there was some talk about this being one of Saban’s best teams and I just didn’t see that on Saturday. 

This not being one of Saban's best teams means that it's probably the second best team in the country, and at worst third 

I definitely like UTSA's receivers. Like was pointed out before Harris is accurate and strong in the short/intermediate game but I rarely see him pushing the ball down the field. This is the game we need to rely on the tighter coverage our players and coaches talked about all offseaosn.

17 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Their weakness is the OL and secondary. 

What's your takeaway based on the PFF grades for the defense? Based on just watching the games, nothing scares me from their defense but maybe the PFF grades say otherwise. 

To me, UTEP has a good QB and some weapons at WR. That's the team. 

Here are the PPF grades for UTSA Defense through two games:

image.thumb.png.c6ffe73e8b474daa07109504529cfa41.png

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, SKA the boss said:

The ptsd is going to take time to heal.

People will come around to the fact that the walk ons are gone, the malcontents are gone, and the motherfuckers got in the motherfucking portal. The culture change is real and it’s here.

I agree that the decade+ of shitty football has given us scars. I can see a huge change with this team, but also it’d be easier to be excited and more trusting if we weren’t down 1.5 QBs to injury 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

that bama vs pig game oct 1 on the road will be a huge one assuming pig beats aggy the week before.  

This game is a trap. 

Our defense is improved but I doubt it suddenly become the nation's top unit overnight - which is the level that it is playing at right now.  Offense is huge question mark with an unknown QB3. Run blocking has taken a step back without the Jones-Angilua connection mauling everything they see. 

UTSA has really good players up and down the roster and they've been playing down to their competition and against niche offenses.  They will play up against us.  Guaranteed.

Let's kick their asses anyway.  Remove all doubt in the first quarter.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Fud said:

I wouldn't assume UTSA's secondary sucks because of the raw yardage they gave up against Army. That offense is a whole different animal and DBs end up getting lost in play-action conflict after selling out on the run that they won't necessarily see against other offense. They gave up only 6.4 YPA vs Houston. 

The problem against army wasn't that they got lost in traffic....most of the big plays were straight go routes, flags, or posts.  The problem for UTSA is their secondary is slow.  They are big...but they are slow.  Isaiah Alston is Army's go to deep threat and he is big and slow(entered transfer portal last January and had no takers)....and still burns UTSA repeatedly on straight routes.  Army's running backs abused UTSA linebackers on basic wheel routes coming out of the back field.  Also, UTSA didn't load up the box all game long against army, they ran a lot of 4-3 and even nickel.  If they give Texas the 12 yard cushion they gave army it will get ugly......and Texas actually has speed.  Army's light oline routinely moved the UTSA defensive line backwards, not talking misdirection, just flat out 1st and goal from the 3 and the dline for UTSA ended up 3 yards deep in the endzone.  UTSA has a safety who is a good tackler, the rest like to dive and arm tackle.

Could we blow it against UTSA....sure....I mean we lost to Rice......but....I just can't see it.  Our Oline should maul them. Whomever we line up at running back should have room to run. Army consistently got pressure with a 3 man rush.....I mean I just don't see the trap game.  Sure we feel good about ourselves, but we didn't win and we won't have our starting QB....there's lot of reasons the players won't coast this week.

As for who is playing QB....Texas doesn't need their QB to win this game, they need them manage the offense.  I know I know...last year, kansas, 7 game losing streak, whatever whatever whatever......Last year we had the equivalent of wet toilet paper for an oline and our defense was trash, whether they are as good as they looked or not against Bama, the oline is light years ahead of last year both in regards to talent and execution.  It's amazing what giving a coach a real offseason to coach an oline can accomplish. Same with the defense.  We may very well not look quite as great against UTSA, but we will still look far better than last year.

We should be 4-1 going into Dallas.  We shall see if that happens.

• Hook 'Em 4