2022 Season Team News and Notes(Between Games Thread)

BurntOrange&White

On 10/10/2022 at 9:01 AM, UncleSonny said:

Keilan is the only one that has a chance to return, and I think that’s is pretty doubtful. Seems like his plan has always been 2 years in Austin. 

He can leave but it'll be as an undraftee free agent trying to cling to a practice squad just hoping he can find a spot. 

These days much better to come back as one of the featured backs and make more NIL money than he would as an UDFA 

17 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

I don’t know if that would make a difference. His NFL path is as an ace special teams guy and an occasional third down back.

It's not about trying to raise your draft position anymore. It's about guys like him being able to make more money in college than they will as an undrafted fringe NFL guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Reality CheckThis Texas team needs to keep improving week by week to be able to win more games this season. 

Going 3-1 against the bottom of the B12 is nothing to beat your chest about

2022 Football Standings

Screenshot_20221015-165017_kindlephoto-16404623.png.226664decb50934df7dbaee7d5ce57c7.png

Could we see some wild scenario where the Big 12 has more Bowl eligible teams than normal?

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Any word on JT Sanders injury ??

He was in on the victory formation.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Could we see some wild scenario where the Big 12 has more Bowl eligible teams than normal?

The Big 12 followed the SEC model this year. 

Beat terrible teams in nonconference and then trade some wins in conference. The best win in nonconference might have been Texas over UTSA. Maybe Kansas over Duke? 

This has been the model the SEC has been following for years. Beat shit teams in nonconference, trade some wins in the Big 12, and then everyone thinks there are a bunch of top 25 teams in the conference. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

The Big 12 followed the SEC model this year. 
Beat terrible teams in nonconference and then trade some wins in conference. The best win in nonconference might have been Texas over UTSA. Maybe Kansas over Duke? 
This has been the model the SEC has been following for years. Beat shit teams in nonconference, trade some wins in the Big 12, and then everyone thinks there are a bunch of top 25 teams in the conference. 

Eh. Everyone scheduled a P5 on top of their nine conference schedule (WVU scheduled 2), and they’re set so far in advance you can’t possibly know if you’re scheduling a good team or not. The way it fell this year there weren’t many competitive OOC games, but it’s not like they’re hiding behind an 8 game conference schedule with three cupcakes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Eh. Everyone scheduled a P5 on top of their nine conference schedule (WVU scheduled 2), and they’re set so far in advance you can’t possibly know if you’re scheduling a good team or not. The way it fell this year there weren’t many competitive OOC games, but it’s not like they’re hiding behind an 8 game conference schedule with three cupcakes.

For sure. There's no way anyone could have anticipated that Nebraska would have been this bad for example. 

But still it's the same concept. Teams like OU, Oklahoma State, TCU, Iowa State, Kansas beat dog shit teams in nonconference and were all 3-0. This is what the SEC has been doing for years.

On 10/15/2022 at 9:12 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

For sure. There's no way anyone could have anticipated that Nebraska would have been this bad for example. 

But still it's the same concept. Teams like OU, Oklahoma State, TCU, Iowa State, Kansas beat dog shit teams in nonconference and were all 3-0. This is what the SEC has been doing for years.

Iowa St’s win over Iowa is probably the best non-con win. 

4 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Iowa St’s win over Iowa is probably the best non-con win. 

I'm not sure. Iowa is 3-3 and have one of the worst offenses I've ever seen. They will be 3-4 after Ohio State next weekend. Personally, I would take UTSA to beat Iowa on a neutral field because 14 points would be enough to beat Iowa. 

Regardless, this kind of proves my point. A 3-4 Iowa team might be the best Big 12 win in nonconference. 

I'm not sure. Iowa is 3-3 and have one of the worst offenses I've ever seen. They will be 3-4 after Ohio State next weekend. Personally, I would take UTSA to beat Iowa on a neutral field because 14 points would be enough to beat Iowa. 
Regardless, this kind of proves my point. A 3-4 Iowa team might be the best Big 12 win in nonconference. 

Just curious as to why UTSA wouldn’t be the best non conference win based on this post.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2022 at 11:03 AM, Hiphopopotamos said:

RoJo is going in the top4 rounds.  That's the sweet spot for a good RB. Price isn't high. Plus he can play every special teams.  He's a guy that a RB coach and ST coach is going to want and after the scouts and HC talk to Sark they're going to want him even more too.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

RoJo is going in the top4 rounds.  That's the sweet spot for a good RB. Price isn't high. Plus he can play every special teams.  He's a guy that a RB coach and ST coach is going to want and after the scouts and HC talk to Sark they're going to want him even more too.

Throw in the fact that he was a 4 star QB recruit outta high school and could bring some extra versatility to a team.

28 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

… as of late? I don’t feel like he’s playing any worse now that he was a month ago. He’s not been anything special, not been terrible.

If there is a switch at guard it needs to be Cole Hutson.

Ehhh. Conner has been really bad too. He's actually even lower graded than Hutson by PFF, and Hutson seems like he's improving at a better rate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ehhh. Conner has been really bad too. He's actually even lower graded than Hutson by PFF, and Hutson seems like he's improving at a better rate. 

I wouldn’t say Conner has been been really bad. I’m not arguing he’s been playing well or that we shouldn’t look for better, but Hutson has just allowed so much disruption in the run game. I will say that I think Hutson played as well or better than Conner for the first time all year against ISU, so I can see where you’re coming from with the improvement angle.

I’ll also say Saturday was one of the OL’s best games overall. They whipped OU, but that defense is not good to begin with and was quitting by halftime, so you take it with a grain of salt. Against ISU they largely controlled the best defense they’ll play in conference. First couple series weren’t great, again with the penetration on the interior on running plays and of course Conner’s hold. But they settled in, kept Ewers clean (no sacks and I only remember a couple hits), and by the end of a competitive game Texas was pushing Iowa State down the field on the ground.

In that sense, if you weren’t going to make the switch after Tech or WVU, I don’t know why you would now as they are finally gaining at least a little bit of traction with run blocking. Not that I’m against it, the timing just feels weird.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Did Billingsly have a target against ISU? I saw him out there for sure. 

He only played 3 snaps.

Total speculation but I wonder if you see him come back and use his covid year. He’s a good chess piece when used correctly but it’s tough to carve out an impactful role halfway through a season when the offense already has quite a few mouths to feed.

15 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

Throw in the fact that he was a 4 star QB recruit outta high school and could bring some extra versatility to a team.

I wish we would showcase this but I've wondered if there's a reason we haven't. When we did a trick pass it was Worthy throwing it. 

Maybe Sark doesn't like what he's seen of Roschon throwing in practice? On paper you'd think that's the perfect counter to teams stacking the line on our wildcat looks but why doesn't Sark do it? Maybe Roschon lost that touch when he bulked up for RB. 

If he can do it then it would be damn effective since no one has seen it recently and getting it done well on tape would help him get drafted. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

He only played 3 snaps.

Total speculation but I wonder if you see him come back and use his covid year. He’s a good chess piece when used correctly but it’s tough to carve out an impactful role halfway through a season when the offense already has quite a few mouths to feed.

@RGBIII has said Billingsley "plans" to be at Texas 2 years.

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

That is very good stat line if we're being honest. Last year we couldn't sustain offensive drives.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@RGBIII has said Billingsley "plans" to be at Texas 2 years.

That is very good stat line if we're being honest. Last year we couldn't sustain offensive drives.

Having a healthy Jordan Whittington and a stud TE in Sanders has been a huge help on third downs.  Worthy was seemingly out there all by himself last year on 3rd and longs last season.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1

Here's The Athletic's Dane Brugler with some draft talk on Bijan and Roschon:

Spoiler

Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas (6-0, 220)*

For a running back to be drafted in the top 20 picks, he had better be able to stay on the field in any situation. Robinson certainly qualifies. Not only can he run the full running back route tree, but he also has wide receiver skills.

Against Iowa State on Saturday, Robinson finished with four catches for 36 yards, including this 26-yard reception. Lined up in the boundary, he runs a slot post, elevates to catch the ball away from his frame and secures it through contact.

You don’t see many running backs lining up outside and running wide receiver routes, but Robinson (zero drops this season) looks comfortable in that role. He also had a one-handed grab in this game and rescued an errant pass last week against Oklahoma.

Running the rock is still what Robinson does best, but he continues to remind scouts that he is a multi-dimensional threat and will fit any NFL offense.

Roschon Johnson, RB, Texas (6-1, 219)

I wrote about Johnson a few weeks back as an underrated mid-round prospect, and he continues to prove that true.

To make it in the NFL, it’s all about “the more you can do.” With Johnson, in addition to running the football, he catches it well out of the backfield, is an above-average blocker and makes plays on special teams — like this tackle from Saturday:

There is no shame in being a backup to Robinson, and Johnson continues to find ways to contribute and show his worth to the Longhorns’ success. When NFL teams stack their draft boards next spring, Johnson’s versatility on offense and special teams will give him a clear edge compared to other mid-round backs.

• Hook 'Em 2

My current guess on where our guys get drafted next year:

1st round: Bijan

2nd: Overshown, Coburn

3rd: Whittington

4th: Jamison

5th: Roschon

6th: Sweat

7th: Ojomo 

Signed UDFA: Billingsley, Cook, Jones

Juniors like Collins, Ford, Thompson, Barron, Watts, Keilan, and Crawford could play themselves into early entry considerations but would be extremely unlikely to be taken in the top 3 rounds regardless of how well they show between now and then.

The other seniors (Dorsey, Milton, and Oghoufu) could get UDFA looks depending on how they test at pro day.

Edited by Snake Diggity

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

Signed UDFA: Watts, Keilan, Billingsley, Cook, Jones

Juniors like Collins, Ford, Thompson, Barron, Watts, Crawford could play themselves into early entry considerations but would be extremely unlikely to be taken in the top 3 rounds regardless of how well they show between now and then.

The other seniors (Dorsey, Milton, and Oghoufu) could get UDFA looks depending on how they test at pro day.

I’d move Jamison and Rojo up a little bit.  Jamison will test well and Rojo will interview well.  Probably bump Whittington down due to the fact that his medical file will be thicker than my …

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Man the computers just really love us this year. Sagarin has us #6 currently. Personally it just doesn't match up with what my eyes are telling me. I dunno much about how the computers work, but I assume we're getting a TON of credit for skullfucking OU?

Computers loved us before OU. We stayed right with Alabama and the Tech loss was considered one of the most unlikely losses of the season. OU beat down certainly helps but we’d be too 10 without it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Juniors like Collins, Ford, Thompson, Barron, Watts, Keilan, and Crawford could play themselves into early entry considerations but would be extremely unlikely to be taken in the top 3 rounds regardless of how well they show between now and then.

A few thoughts:

Overshown has a better chance of going undrafted than he does to go in round 2. He doesn’t have a position home. He’s not a good edge player or LB. He’s good running sideline to sideline to chase a ball carrier and that’s about it.

Jones will get drafted for sure. Tackles with his measurables are taken.

I honestly think Sweat will be our first DT drafted. He has the most physical gifts and upside. 

Whittington probably gets picked if he stays healthy but he’s a day 3 guy.

Cook will probably get drafted because of his versatility having played every position in the secondary. Teams will like that. 

For the underclassmen you mentioned, there isn’t one who should even consider declaring outside of maybe Ford. Keilan is a gadget player and his special teams skills aren’t reason enough to leave early, Crawford isn’t even good at the college level much less a NFL prospect, Barron and Watts need more film and Collins isn’t close to being ready despite his upside.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Bet you $100 overshown doesn’t go before day 3

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Man the computers just really love us this year. Sagarin has us #6 currently. Personally it just doesn't match up with what my eyes are telling me. I dunno much about how the computers work, but I assume we're getting a TON of credit for skullfucking OU?

We’re getting a little overrated for OU because computers don’t take injuries into account, but they love our defense because we have a low YPP and we limit explosive plays very effectively. They also think the amount of third and longs and fourth downs we give up will return to the mean, but that doesn’t take into account how bad PK and our defense is at situational play calling and executing. Our defense is absolutely overrated if metrics have us in the top 10 defensively. 

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Lmao wut. Overshown won’t even sniff the 2nd round. He’s not good at football. Casual fans drastically overrate him. 

You also probably have RoJo, Sweat and Ojomo too low and Whittington too high. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

1st +-1: Bijan

3rd +-1: Roschon

4th +-1: Ojomo, Sweat, Coburn

5th +-1: Jamison, 

6th +-1: Overshown, Cook

7th +-1: Jones, JWhitt

UDFA: Keilan

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

We’re getting a little overrated for OU because computers don’t take injuries into account, but they love our defense because we have a low YPP and we limit explosive plays very effectively. They also think the amount of third and longs and fourth downs we give up will return to the mean, but that doesn’t take into account how bad PK and our defense is at situational play calling and executing. Our defense is absolutely overrated if metrics have us in the top 10 defensively. 

Lmao wut. Overshown won’t even sniff the 2nd round. He’s not good at football. Casual fans drastically overrate him. 

You also probably have RoJo, Sweat and Ojomo too low and Whittington too high. 

Athlete playing football instead of a football player being an athlete. 

He'll get drafted 5-7 most likely. Will be interesting to see if he develops in the NFL with his raw athleticism and NFL coaching.

Read an article about J Whitt that said Marion made him love the game of football again. Wonder if that renewed love will transition to another year or if he still plans to call it/go pro after this season? 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Man y’all hatin on DMO.  He has rare athleticism and a size/speed combo that usually gets guys drafted in the top half of the draft.

I'm not hating on him, but this is still football not an athleticism contest. When it comes to doing actual things on the football field like diagnosing plays, playing his actual position and dropping into coverage, he is not good. He is going to dazzle in the 40-yard dash and all the combine drills because that's who he is, but as a football player doing football things, he hasn't shown he is a NFL player. He is an athlete without a position home, and I don't think NFL teams are going to be tripping over themselves to run up to the podium and select him. 

With that being said, he does play special teams decently well which is pretty much a requirement if you are going to be a backup LB in the NFL, so maybe a team takes a chance on him in the 6th or 7th round.

• Like 1