2022 Season Team News and Notes(Between Games Thread)

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Explain the basics. 

As someone who works in a science field it blows my mind people are stupid enough to believe anything without proper scrutiny and proof. Much less something that is kept hidden from you intentionally.

This isn't even something no one can prove like religion. It's something they created, refuse to divulge, and expect people to believe it. 

But go ahead and explain the basics of it. What is in it?

"Works in a science field" is vague but if you have experience with psychometrics you'll know that every instrument is flawed. Something like QB skill is going to be impossible to grade quantitatively. QB rating, QBR, PFF, etc. are all just data points. Raw stats generally being the worst of them

Explain the basics. 
As someone who works in a science field it blows my mind people are stupid enough to believe anything without proper scrutiny and proof. Much less something that is kept hidden from you intentionally.
This isn't even something no one can prove like religion. It's something they created, refuse to divulge, and expect people to believe it. 
But go ahead and explain the basics of it. What is in it?

f16e819564ec8a98c3786b015230dd22.jpg

20 minutes ago, Monahorns said:

How else do you evaluate output except by the data?  Ewers is ahead on the development curve, but that is not what I was talking about.  Or is your misunderstanding on purpose?

Casey was wretched. He lit up bad defenses. He has bad vs good defenses (Baylor being the exception). 

Ewers has not faced many garbage defenses like Kansas or Rice last year. This is not updated for this past week. 

FEI ranking for defenses Quinn has faced

ULM: 118 (first game and he was pretty mediocre)

Bama: #3

Oklahoma: #74 (he lit them up)

ISU: #9

OSU: #20 (struggled)

not quite the same thing as lighting up Kansas or Rice last year. 

(West Virginia #106 this year, Tech #24)

5 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Casey was wretched. He lit up bad defenses. He has bad vs good defenses (Baylor being the exception). 

Ewers has not faced many garbage defenses like Kansas or Rice last year. This is not updated for this past week. 

FEI ranking for defenses Quinn has faced

ULM: 118 (first game and he was pretty mediocre)

Bama: #3

Oklahoma: #74 (he lit them up)

ISU: #9

OSU: #20 (struggled)

not quite the same thing as lighting up Kansas or Rice last year. 

(West Virginia #106 this year, Tech #24)

There are 4 more games for the QB position to demonstrate a significant upgrade over last year in terms of output.  There is a decent chance of that with Kansas and TCU still to play.  But KSU and Baylor aren't going to be pushovers on defense.  So far the numbers are show what they show regardless of what the ceilings are for the players we are talking about.  The data I showed included Card too, it isn't just Ewers vs Thompson.  That evens out the comparison for competition too.

4 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

You should probably shut the fuck up.

If you can make me.  Go ahead and try.

On 10/24/2022 at 5:41 PM, Hermanator said:

It's bullshit. These guys know how to coach. The team knew what they were doing just fine against Bama, UTSA, OU, and even ISU (even though Ewers threw like shit). To say now they don't know what they're doing is just flat out stupid. 

This is players not stepping up and making the plays to win. Screwing up under pressure. Not able to perform enough to win on the road. 

OSU has a good team, was ranked 11 in the country, and we had the talent to take them out in their stadium. The talent is there it just needs to develop the killer instinct to perform anywhere at any time. Guys like Roschon and Bijan have it. Others, most importantly our QB, need to develop it asap 

If the coaches are not reaching the players, it’s on the coaches. It’s their job to figure out how to reach the players.

Edited by lilMAC25

15 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

So if we win all three games we are in. We control our own destiny again.

If we go 2-1 in the last three games...what scenarios have us in? Back in 2018 we had this complicated chart. Maybe we can make one of those again.

Some Baylor fan has what appears to be scenarios for the top 4 current teams

https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/115780/1

15 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

So if we win all three games we are in. We control our own destiny again.

If we go 2-1 in the last three games...what scenarios have us in? Back in 2018 we had this complicated chart. Maybe we can make one of those again.

It’s very hard to say if we go 2-1 because it would be based on tiebreakers that won’t be known who they favor until more games have been played, but it would likely be a 3 way tie that could go any way. So the only way to be at all confident in getting into the CCG is winning out. 

It’s very hard to say if we go 2-1 because it would be based on tiebreakers that won’t be known who they favor until more games have been played, but it would likely be a 3 way tie that could go any way. So the only way to be at all confident in getting into the CCG is winning out. 

Don’t want to limp in, plan to win out. We’re better than the three remaining teams, we should be expecting to win out.

image.png.6548369744ef43ba2e11fd943d6b9de1.png

I made this and yes I am sure it's been created by someone before but I made it because it has been a month since we beat OU 49-0 and Texas has lost games since then and the team has issues but they still beat Oklahoma 49-0 in the Cotton Bowl and I have watched this game for decades and am always anxious about it because my formative years in the series were when Mack was getting shellacked 65-13 so to turn the tables and beat that team by nearly 50 points while shutting them out is glorious in the fact that literally decades from now I am fairly certain I will remember this game and I want Texas to win the conference and Sark to be the coach but even if we go into a pit of despair like we have been in for the past decade at least during that time we did beat OU 49-0 so no matter how the rest of the season goes I think I will be happy.

17 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

My mind is having trouble reconciling this.

Where do we rank in sacks?

Is team leading nation in 3rd and long completion rate? 
Or missed sacks? I’ve never seen a team have a QB in their grasp only to have them escape more than Texas. 
Been crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Five separate Texas NIL collectives combine to form Texas One Fund

Joe Cook    Inside Texas

Untitled-design-2022-11-10T084823.932.pn

Five separate University of Texas athletics related Name, Image, and Likeness collectives with focuses in different sports have combined to form the “Texas One Fund,” it was announced Thursday. According to a press release, the Texas One Fund, which also announced its launch, “will seek to maximize community impact and be the preferred NIL fundraising collective for Texas student-athletes.”

The Texas One Fund consolidates the five major NIL collectives currently in the Texas athletics ecosystem. That includes Clark Field Collective, Horns With Heart, the baseball-focused Occupy Left Field, the basketball-centric 40 Pack, and the golf-oriented National Championship Golf Foundation. Those entities now operate as one under the Texas One Fund name.

The stated goal of the fund is to “create positive community impact, through a one stop fund, that assists Texas athletes in cultivating and facilitating NIL opportunities and ensures collegiate athlete success year after year.”

“We are very pleased with the formation of Texas One Fund,” Texas athletics director Chris Del Conte said in a statement. “As a 501(c)(3) organization, it provides our fans, donors, and supporters a way to contribute to NIL opportunities for our student-athletes and for our student-athletes to support important community programs. We believe this is the best way to bolster NIL initiatives for our student-athletes and support the meaningful interactions they can make in the charitable community.”

Those involved with the individual collectives celebrated the move.

“After executing numerous NIL deals, we were able to see the need for a bigger positive community impact and a streamlined setup,” said Nick Shuley, founder of Clark Field Collective. “Texas has the luxury of having so many organizations that want to help, but we quickly saw the need to get everyone in the community together. We wanted to make giving easily accessible to everyone and create a bigger connection to the athletic programs, athletes, and community. Whether you are giving $5 or $5 million, we want to make this something for every Longhorn.”

According to the release, Clark Field Collective, previously the leading Texas NIL organization, will become an NIL activation agency.

Patrick Smith, an Austin-area attorney, will serve as president of the Texas One Fund.

“This is a huge win for the contributors and donors as it will create a simple streamlined process for everyone and all sports,” said Smith, the former head of the 40 Pack. “We aim to do this the ‘Texas Way’ and to make NIL opportunities available for every student-athlete at the University of Texas.”

The release states donors, fans, contributors, and businesses will have the ability to direct tax-deductible donations to the sport of their choice, with the option to support a general fund for dissemination across sports.

The new fund will be comprised of an executive board featuring alumni, donors, and business leaders; and individual boards representing each Texas sport program that will ensure all partnership opportunities are maximized and available for athletes in each respective sport program, according to the release. Information can be found on its website,   www.TexasOneFund.org.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/7/2022 at 12:47 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I made this and yes I am sure it's been created by someone before but I made it because it has been a month since we beat OU 49-0 and Texas has lost games since then and the team has issues but they still beat Oklahoma 49-0 in the Cotton Bowl and I have watched this game for decades and am always anxious about it because my formative years in the series were when Mack was getting shellacked 65-13 so to turn the tables and beat that team by nearly 50 points while shutting them out is glorious in the fact that literally decades from now I am fairly certain I will remember this game and I want Texas to win the conference and Sark to be the coach but even if we go into a pit of despair like we have been in for the past decade at least during that time we did beat OU 49-0 so no matter how the rest of the season goes I think I will be happy.

Holy run-on sentences, Batman!

• Haha 1

Ok well that went poorly. But as much as that sucked I still want us to get humiliated by TCU again. If we somehow stop being garbage on offense and keep playing well on defense and get past Baylor and Kansas...can that still happen?

I don't really care how we get to the Big 12 title game or if it makes any sense or if we deserve to be there. I  am just getting desperate here. I want to back in however we can.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1