2022 Season Team News and Notes(Between Games Thread)

BurntOrange&White

Thoughts on Texas vs. Baylor with an eye toward the future

Bobby Burton •about 24 hrs ago

Untitled-design-2022-11-26T115629.961.pn

Bijan Robinson (Will Gallagher/Inside Texas)

Upon rewatch, here are some thoughts that are on my mind this morning.

The Texas OL had a truly schizophrenic performance.  They were so poor in pass protection, perhaps the worst of the year, that it single-handedly almost cost Texas the game.  The lack of protection led directly to at least 8 Baylor points (a safety and strip/sack TD). And, poor protection also gave the Bears a short field to end the first half, which ended in another Baylor touchdown.

At one point, Ewers was sacked three times in the course of four consecutive plays. And the fourth play was a handoff to Bijan Robinson.

On the other hand, there’s the second half to consider.  Texas got after Baylor in the run game so hard and so effectively, that it’s difficult to find fault (false starts notwithstanding) in a unit that paved the way to victory.  There is no doubt that the enduring memory of this game will be Bijan and Roschon Johnson carrying, literally, the Horns to victory behind this OL in the fourth quarter.  That just doesn’t happen without a yeoman-like performance from all of the OL.

I’d also like to mention the tight ends: JT Sanders, Gunnar Helm and Andrej Karic. In the run game, they were all terrific in the second half.  But I’d like to single out Jordan Whittington for his efforts. In multiple instances, Whittington popped a Baylor DB that allowed for Bijan or Roschon to make a first down or get even more yardage on the perimeter.

The run game wasn’t just the OL; it was a team effort.

Earlier in the season, against the likes of Alabama, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, I mentioned that Texas needed a big play from its defense, a game-changing play, that someone needed to step up.

It just wasn’t happening. Not in crunch time.

But then, just as Steve Sarkisian predicted it eventually would, the dam broke.

The second half of this season, Texas has leaned heavily on its defense. The Horns have consistently stopped the run this season.  But it wasn’t until Jaylan Ford got a better grip on the nuances of pass coverage that this defense really took a turn for the better.  The junior linebacker from Frisco has not only proven to be a valuable run stopper, but invaluable in coverage.  Early in the year, he was covering grass. Later in the year, he started covering players, understanding down and distance situations and recognizing routes.

The result?   The Big 12 defensive player of the year award awaits.

Ford deserves all the attention he receives. But the guy who may have had his best overall game as a Longhorn was DeMarvion Overshown.  He played like a man possessed. And Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey may have played his best game, too.  Texas needed its linebackers to come up big on Friday and they did just that. Hats off to those guys and to coach Jeff Choate who deserves some credit for their development year-over-year.

What do I make of Quinn Ewers and his performance yesterday?  Upon rewatch, he threw the ball well and on time.  He had one key miss: the red-zone ball throw that was hot and high to JT Sanders.  And he only made one throw that was ill-advised: the ball that got Jordan Whittington lit up like a Christmas tree.

Otherwise, Ewers threw the ball well when he had time.

Two nice intermediate throws to JT Sanders, a couple of stop routes to Xavier Worthy, a good ball to Keilan Robinson to put Texas in the red zone and a really nice layered throw to Whittington on a 1st and 20, a reception that was eventually fumbled. The bubble screens and outside throws were on time and accurate.

But Ewers, even though he went 12-16 for 194 yards, also panicked under pressure on the safety, not realizing beforehand that he could throw it at the back’s feet if pressured. And on the sack-fumble, he misgauged his own abilities against backside pressure.

Those are mistakes he can learn from in the future, but ones that were also costly.

Otherwise, there were no miscues in the backfield by the QB. No turning the wrong way for the handoff or miscommunication with the backs. And no fumbled snaps. Can’t say the same about Baylor who had miscues in the backfield twice on the same drive in the first half in the red zone.

Was it an all-world performance from Ewers? No, of course not.  But yesterday he made progress, and he proved once again that his ability to throw the intermediate ball is outstanding.

Sark’s approach to the second half, the fourth quarter in particular, won this game for Texas as much as anything.  He poked and prodded for a run play and formation that worked, and then he when he found it, he never relented.  He put the ball in the hands of his two best players with the game on the line. And they stepped on the Bears’ throats.

There was no question leaving that game who the more physical team was.  What a difference a year makes.  The exact opposite thing could have been said about Baylor a year ago.

Hats off to DJ Campbell, even though he gave up a sack on his very first play.  After that, he was a relative menace in run blocking.  He gets to the second level easily and is quicker than almost any defensive lineman. He made a block on the goal line that directly aided the third-quarter Roschon Johnson TD.

With Campbell and Cole Hutson so good in run blocking, it makes you wonder just what the future holds for Hayden Conner. Does Conner get tried at tackle next year to replace Christian Jones? Whatever the case may be, the Horns have some talent to figure out how to get the best OL group on the field this off-season.  

Long-term, I still expect a full-time move of Hutson to center, but not until Jake Majors has graduated.

Somewhat quietly, Terrance Brooks has become the latest true freshman that the Horns have come to rely on.  Along with Jaylon Guilbeau, that’s two true freshman in the secondary the Horns now seem confident in moving forward. That bodes well for the future of that unit, although another true safety has to develop this off-season.

Don’t look now, but defensive lineman Alfred Collins finally seems to be coming on as well. Collins struggled last year and most of this year to become a factor for the Horns.  But yesterday, he showed again that the light switch might just be turning on for him. That would be a huge positive for Texas next year.

Has Texas lost the special teams battle to any team this year?  Perhaps Alabama.  Texas won special teams again yesterday as well.

Daniel Trejo averaged more than 40 yards on punt attempts, neither of which were returned. Auburn nailed his only field goal attempt contrary to his Baylor counterpart.  Trejo and Auburn have both exceeded expectations this year as have the return and coverage units.

Keilan Robinson is the true leader of that group. He deserves a hat tip.

Overall, there was just a lot to like about yesterday’s win.  For the first time in Steve Sarkisian’s time at Texas, the Horns have won consecutive conference games by double digits and decisively.  And for the first time, the Horns utterly dominated the second half on both sides of the ball.  I could see Texas fans getting used to those types of wins.

• Hook 'Em 4

Oh hell yes. Via FCB

— According to a source close to the situation, Alabama transfer tight end Jahleel Billingsley was run off from Texas by Longhorns’ players.

“His teammates got sick of his energy,” the source said. “He was always saying, ‘This is how we did it at ‘Bama and in the SEC.’ Finally, (Texas sophomore tight end) JT Sanders got in his face and said, ‘You’re not starting. I am. So shut up.’”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Scoop: A breakout player for next year, the portal is open for business

Eric Nahlin•3 minutes

Article written by:Eric Nahlin

Jonathon Brooks (Will Gallagher/IT)

Texas begins bowl practice later this week but the coaches have a lot on their plate with the portal officially opening for business this week.

Team

Our buddy the @Little Cigar was around someone with good insights into the program recently. He asked the source which player would become a breakout star next season and the source responded immediately with “Jonathon Brooks.” With that in mind I asked another source the same question and he responded with the same name. It’s not surprising since we’ve seen flashes of Brooks’ ability, but it was good to hear. With Bijan Robinson’s status unknown for the upcoming bowl game against the Washington Huskies (we don’t think he’ll play) we probably won’t have to wait long to see a sizable workload for Brooks. 

In addition to Robinson potentially not playing in the Alamo Bowl we’re hearing of two others who may sit out. Those decisions are still up in the air. This is not an invitation for the same people to belabor the merits of playing or not playing. That argument is more tired than quarterback controversies.

Bowl practices begin this Friday. The coaches have 15 practices at their disposal. We should hear some good things about the youngsters.

exPorts

We’re only watching for 2-3 more current Texas players to enter the portal, none of which would be a surprise. That does not mean there won’t be a surprise portal entrant, we just aren’t currently expecting one. That ever so slightly includes wide receiver Xavier Worthy…for now. While high level sources remain in wait-and-see mode on the talented receiver, sources closer to the ground simply don’t think he’s actually going to leave. Cautious optimism is probably the best posture. 

We also checked in on Worthy’s partner in crime, Jahdae Barron. Barron had a breakout season and is set for as big of a senior season as Jaylan Ford and potentially others like T’Vondre Sweat and Jerrin Thompson. Barron’s in the same boat as Worthy, with people on the ground stating flatly he’s not going anywhere.

We checked on Alfred Collins just out of diligence. We’ve never heard anything substantial about him potentially leaving but we’ve seen a rumor or two pop up on the board. He’s definitely expected back, and frankly concern never seemed justified. 

A holdover theme from last year’s reporting is players just don’t want to leave Texas. They’ll only do so when it’s obviously in their best interest. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2022 CBS Sports All-America Team

Bijan Robinson, Jr., Texas

Robinson set career highs across the board, carrying the ball 258 times for 1,580 yards and 18 touchdowns, averaging 6.1 yards per carry. He also caught 19 passes for 314 yards and two touchdowns, which makes him second in the nation — first among Power Five players — in all-purpose yards.

2022 The Athletic All-America Team

RB Bijan Robinson, Texas: The dynamic Robinson is projected as a first-round pick in Dane Brugler’s first mock draft for good reason. He’s a versatile weapon who has rushed 258 times for 1,580 yards and 18 touchdowns and caught 19 passes for 314 yards and two touchdowns — good for averages of 6.1 yards per rush, 16.5 yards per reception and 157.8 yards from scrimmage per game. He has 11 plays of at least 30 yards and averages 4.15 yards after contact per rush, best among any Power 5 back with at least 200 carries, per TruMedia.

2022 PFF All-America Team

FIRST TEAM - RB Bijan Robinson, Texas

So far Blake Corum and Bijan Robinson are the first-team RBs on every AA team.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Where would Bijan likely go in the draft? Around 20 to 25? Rookie pay scale around there is 4 years for $13.5 to $14.5 million. If NIL could get together 6 million for 1 more college season does he return?

Or how about Roshon? Probably won't go until 3rd or 4th round so total 4 year salary probably 4 to 5 million or so. Would he return for his last year for $2 million and have him be the featured back rotating with Brooks?

• Haha 1

Bleacher Report's 2022 College Football All-American Team

RB: Bijan Robinson, Texas

Inconsistency plagued the Longhorns, but Robinson was a steadily elite contributor. The versatile back topped 100 scrimmage yards in 11 games, including a pair of career-best 243-yard days. Robinson led the FBS with 1,894 scrimmage yards and ranked second with 20 touchdowns.

• Hook 'Em 2

FCB on Jaylan Ford

Texas middle linebacker Jaylan Ford, who should’ve been the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year after posting 109 tackles, four interceptions, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries, is “weighing his options” as far as possibly entering the NFL Draft, according to a source close to the situation.

“He is getting a lot of calls from agents,” the source said.

When Ford was asked before UT’s regular-season finale against Baylor if he’ll go pro or return to Texas, he said, “I really don’t like to think about all that stuff yet. There’s a time for that. The time will come. Right now, I still think there’s a lot for me to improve on.”

Ford has indicated to coaches he thinks he’ll probably return. But Ford, who has not benefited much — if at all — from NIL income, has met with some agents and hasn’t made anything official at this point. (The agents are also pitching helping him get some NIL deals, if he stays, the source said.)

18 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Where would Bijan likely go in the draft? Around 20 to 25? Rookie pay scale around there is 4 years for $13.5 to $14.5 million. If NIL could get together 6 million for 1 more college season does he return?

Or how about Roshon? Probably won't go until 3rd or 4th round so total 4 year salary probably 4 to 5 million or so. Would he return for his last year for $2 million and have him be the featured back rotating with Brooks?

https://walterfootball.com/draft2023RB.php

12/3/22: In 2022, Robinson has averaged 6.1 yards per carry for 1,580 yards and 18 touchdowns. He also has 19 receptions for 314 yards and two scores. Robinson is potentially the best player in the 2023 NFL Draft, and pro teams think he posseses rare ability and superstar potential. 

As we reported in the Hot Press, sources from a number of teams have Robinson graded higher than other recent top-five running back prospects of Saquon Barkley, Leonard Fournette and Ezekiel Elliott. Here is what one area scout shared with WalterFootball.com: 

"It's rare that the best pure runner is also the best pure receiver; that's what makes Bijan unique," said an area scout. "He can legitimately go run routes like a true receiver. His skill set is more Marshall Faulk than any of those guys. Saquon can obviously win in the passing game, but he's not out running routes like Reggie Bush (Bijan does). His ball skills are as good as the top receivers in this class. 

"There are other runners on his level or even a notch better, but you're talking about the elite of every class, even on that alone. You can realistically run the offense thru him because he's in on every situation as your RB1, 1-2nd Down, 2 minute, 4 minute. He's more advanced all around than [Reggie] Bush, Joe Mixon, Saquon, Zeke. McCaffrey would have been like that had he been 215 pounds like Bijan. You have to go back to Faulk to find an elite runner and receiver like Bijan."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I'll still be surprised if he goes high in the 1st. Teams saw the Giants and Cowboys get burned on those picks and just don't want to do it. You can't get the value of a top half of the first round pick out of a running back anymore.  

Did they get burned though?  I don't really follow the NFL beyond fantasy and the playoffs but it seemed like Ezekiel was pretty good on his first contract.  Big 2nd contracts to RBs don't work out very often.  And the Giants wanted to extend Barkley, who is having a good year.  I'm sure they will tag him if they can't get him to sign.

34 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Did they get burned though?  I don't really follow the NFL beyond fantasy and the playoffs but it seemed like Ezekiel was pretty good on his first contract.  Big 2nd contracts to RBs don't work out very often.  And the Giants wanted to extend Barkley, who is having a good year.  I'm sure they will tag him if they can't get him to sign.

Yeah, I'd say so. When you pick top half of the first you have to get a guy who will give you a long time quality starting at a premium position or be an absolute badass at a non premium one. Bijan would have to be Adrian Peterson for it to be worth it the way the game is now and the chances of that aren't great. 

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Yeah, I'd say so. When you pick top half of the first you have to get a guy who will give you a long time quality starting at a premium position or be an absolute badass at a non premium one. Bijan would have to be Adrian Peterson for it to be worth it the way the game is now and the chances of that aren't great. 

Fair.  I think he is very different than AP but I could see him being the second best NFL Longhorn RB of all time in 8-10 years.  I haven't been a fan of a particular NFL team since the Oilers left Houston but I am going to become a fan of whoever drafts him.  I am super excited that we have a chance to see a Longhorn drafted in the top 5, 10 spots for the first time in a LONG time.

15 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Fair.  I think he is very different than AP but I could see him being the second best NFL Longhorn RB of all time in 8-10 years.  I haven't been a fan of a particular NFL team since the Oilers left Houston but I am going to become a fan of whoever drafts him.  I am super excited that we have a chance to see a Longhorn drafted in the top 5, 10 spots for the first time in a LONG time.

Could be. It will be a long road passing Priest and Jamaal, let alone Ricky, but if Bijan stays healthy, he’s capable, I think. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

Texas standouts Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson, and DeMarvion Overshown are not expected to play in the Valero Alamo Bowl, multiple sources tell Inside Texas.

At running back, Texas will likely look toward Keilan Robinson and Jonathon Brooks for contributions while at linebacker the Longhorns will look toward David Gbenda, Jett Bush, and Morice Blackwell for help at the linebacker position versus the nation’s No. 2 overall offense.

Nahlin

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, pacman said:

Texas standouts Bijan RobinsonRoschon Johnson, and DeMarvion Overshown are not expected to play in the Valero Alamo Bowl, multiple sources tell Inside Texas.

At running back, Texas will likely look toward Keilan Robinson and Jonathon Brooks for contributions while at linebacker the Longhorns will look toward David Gbenda, Jett Bush, and Morice Blackwell for help at the linebacker position versus the nation’s No. 2 overall offense

Nahlin

Tweet for above article found by @texifornia

Only Friday practice notes that I've seen:

"According to Burton in On Texas Football. Most coaches are on the road, the practices were run by GAs and analysts. Bijan and Roschon helped to coach the running backs. Worthy was practicing with the WRs."

Jeff Howe:  

As far as I know, the only in-person viewing windows we’ll get are in San Antonio ahead of the game.

Edited by LTtxfan