• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

So I think I read about this on Reddit and reluctantly tried it out (I’m a little snobby about writers and the author’s bio as a ren fair actor was a big red flag) and I’m a huge, huge fan.  

61Nxq9EvcKL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

It’s basically a Ridley Scott film made into a book with heavy theological horror (very Catholic) and very well placed in history (post battle of a Crecy and during the plagues).  I would think anyone that enjoys Game of Thrones but would something more in the horror genre would enjoy it.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/21/2023 at 9:10 PM, Duane Moore said:

Read this recently as well. Very good. Just finished this one:

482886DB-A8F6-48AA-B974-95197AEBB038.thumb.jpeg.4d03b8fec6e3e6b741fd19dab24e367a.jpeg

So I just finished this one, same author:

image.jpeg.1159ca056e89b14522c0ace2234eb659.jpeg

The set up is fantastic-American couple buys an old house in a small, Sicilian mountain town with the intention of making a semi-permanent move.  Unbeknownst to them, the house was previously owned by the Catholic Church and who had used it for predictable reasons.  

Unfortunately, that’s about as far as I can recommend it.  It might be that I’m just spoiled by better writers, but the dialogue read like a high schoolers attempt at his first book; unlikeable protagonists, plot holes galore and the mythology goes mostly unexplored (and not in a good, “it’s better left to the imagination” way).  

That said, it’s the kind of book that could adapt easily to film and there would be the opportunity to correct most of the weaknesses.  It also wouldn’t shock me if started out as a screenplay.