Shit goin' down in the Chess world. Cheating.

Parliament

Magnus Carlsen achieved the rank of chess grandmaster — the highest rank achievable in chess — at the age of 13 years old. The 31-year-old Norwegian mastermind is a five-time World Chess Champion and widely regarded as the best chess player in the world. He rarely loses, and that made his loss in the third round at the Sinquefield Cup in St. Louis to 19-year-old Hans Niemann one of the most shocking defeats in recent memory. Carlsen losing a game isn’t enough to draw huge attention though. He’s lost on numerous occasions throughout his career. What really made this defeat noteworthy was what came after.

Carlsen promptly withdrew from the remainder of the tournament. This isn’t normal, especially for someone as heralded as Carlsen. He’d never quit a tournament before without having a damning reason for doing so.

Nakamura brought to light many questionable claims that Niemann made about the game after it was completed. He detailed how strange Niemann was playing and ultimately came to the conclusion that Niemann had outside help. However, the question remains. This event was streamed live for anyone to see. Nobody was whispering in Niemann’s ear during the match. Nobody was seen feeding Niemann information as the match was going on. How could he have cheated in front of so many cameras and not been caught?

Well, thanks to a proof of concept article written in July of this year, we have an answer. In the article, author James Stanley claimed that he’d figured out a way to communicate with a chess engine in real time through his socks. He called the project “Sockfish” as it was a means to communicate with the chess engine “Stockfish” through his socks. What a clever pun, very deserving of a short golf clap.

Through a series of vibrations and buttons in his shoes, Stanley was able to tell the engine what move his opponent played. The engine would then relay a series of vibrations back to Stanley to let him know what move he should play next. Stanley explained that his feet were ideal for accomplishing this cheat, because they are the only part of the body that has dexterity while still being obscured from view. We’ve seen similar cheating tactics used by poker players to get an edge. So, it only makes sense that these tactics would make their way to the chess world.

https://deadspin.com/how-do-you-cheat-in-live-chess-1849521544?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email&utm_placement=newsletter

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Shit goin' down in the Chess world. Cheating.

The article left out Hans’ dramatic rise in rating over the past few years as well as changing accent, which was fun too.

While the game that Hans claimed the Magnus used that opening in the bizarre post match interview didn’t happen, I saw some claims that Magnus used it in some random blitz game at some point. Hans then claimed it was a transposition.

The YouTube GMs seem a bit dubious of his claims. They also claim that over-the-board cheating is possible and does happen, although it’s much harder with higher security.

If he wasn’t cheating, possibly the greatest moment of his professional life turned into a nightmare. It’s quite a ride either way.

A group of us on shaggy bevo used to play chess together.  We even did a round robin tournament at one point.  Not sure if any of those posters are still around, but it was fun.  If any one wants to play online send me a note. I mostly play blitz chess but will play correspondence style with a few days between moves.  I prefer lichess but will play on chess.com.  My rating peak for 3/0 blitz was around 2240, but I'm closer to 2100 these days.

On the cheating scandal, Hans almost certainly did not cheat during his recent game with Magnus.  He has cheated for online chess games in times past, and some folks are claiming he had some suspect games at one of his GM qualifying tournaments, but his game with Magnus shows no evidence of cheating with expert and engine analysis.  Magnus just played uncharacteristically poorly.  Then he rage quit in the middle of a round robin tournament, which really wrecks that style of tournament for the other players.  If he doesn't provide any reasons or justification for his quitting in the middle of the tournament, I think he should be suspended from competition for a period of time.  Completely unprofessional and selfish behavior.    

Edited by axiom of foundation

14 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:
On 9/12/2022 at 10:34 AM, atomheartbevo said:
This was in St. Louis?  Was hoping it was in Bangkok, in a show with everything but Yul Brynner..

Bangkok? Oriental setting. Where the city don't know what the city is getting.

If the accusations prove true, then Niemann gets his picks below the waistline, sunshine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, axiom of foundation said:

A group of us on shaggy bevo used to play chess together.  We even did a round robin tournament at one point.  Not sure if any of those posters are still around, but it was fun.  If any one wants to play online send me a note. I mostly play blitz chess but will play correspondence style with a few days between moves.  I prefer lichess but will play on chess.com.  My rating peak for 3/0 blitz was around 2240, but I'm closer to 2100 these days.

revenge of the nerds GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If I were to cheat during a big time international tournament (and that's a BIG "if"), I'd probably try and find out ahead of time where the tournament is to be played. Then the night before, I would place mirrors strategically around the room so that when I was playing an opponent, I could look at the mirrors to see what pieces he/she were playing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/13/2022 at 9:54 PM, axiom of foundation said:

On the cheating scandal, Hans almost certainly did not cheat during his recent game with Magnus.  He has cheated for online chess games in times past, and some folks are claiming he had some suspect games at one of his GM qualifying tournaments, but his game with Magnus shows no evidence of cheating with expert and engine analysis.  Magnus just played uncharacteristically poorly.  Then he rage quit in the middle of a round robin tournament, which really wrecks that style of tournament for the other players.  If he doesn't provide any reasons or justification for his quitting in the middle of the tournament, I think he should be suspended from competition for a period of time.  Completely unprofessional and selfish behavior.    

You don’t know this. Period. Quit declaring your opinion fact. 

18 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

If I were to cheat during a big time international tournament (and that's a BIG "if"), I'd probably try and find out ahead of time where the tournament is to be played. Then the night before, I would place mirrors strategically around the room so that when I was playing an opponent, I could look at the mirrors to see what pieces he/she were playing.

- Jack Handey

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You don’t know this. Period. Quit declaring your opinion fact. 

I know the top chess cheating analyst in the world evaluated the game and found no evidence cheating. I also know Magnus played below his average centipawn loss according to engine evaluation.  Neither one of those claims are my opinion.  Do you know of any evidence of cheating in the game?

Not saying Hans cheated using Stockfish enabled anal beads, but I saw a chat with Hikaru — who’s been stirring stuff up during all this — where he claimed that Magnus said if he knew the best engine move at just one or two critical points in a game, he’d never lose. The margins are so thin at that level.

3 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

3g6y8a12fim91.png

6 hours ago, luke duke said:

I doubt they have time to post anymore since they’re neck deep in chess groupie pussy.

Nah.  Chess groupies typically only go for GMs.

Sinquefield Cup | Grand Chess Tour 2022 • Playoff • lichess.org

dj0odjmx7i481.jpg

1 hour ago, Mole said:

Not saying Hans cheated using Stockfish enabled anal beads, but I saw a chat with Hikaru — who’s been stirring stuff up during all this — where he claimed that Magnus said if he knew the best engine move at just one or two critical points in a game, he’d never lose. The margins are so thin at that level.

It's even easier than that at that level.  A top player would only need a signal once or twice a game that lets them know it's a critical position with a winning move available, and they will find it from there.  For example, if an accomplice is analyzing the game with an engine and gives the player a subtle signal when needed.  They don't even need to communicate the move.  Just a cough, sneeze, anything.  Not unlike the Astros and the trashcan signaling.  The concern is legitimate. 

My view is that if a player shows up and follows all the security screening & rules of the tournament and there is no statistical evidence after detailed analysis that implies that they cheated during the games, then it's on others to provide evidence if they are going to accuse them of cheating.  Otherwise the game will be ruined with endless accusations and doubt.  How is one even supposed to defend themselves if no evidence is required?