Much respect to Card

Tex Long

He played hard. Nothing bad to say about his effort or mentality on Saturday. Tip of the cap.

That said, he’s still rather flawed as a QB; if today or Friday rolls around and the ankle injury is still preventing him from planting, and all his downfield throws are as off as they were towards the end of the Bama game, probably better going with Wright for a week. I’d rather go with Card than Wright for Tech, but it’s easy to see how Card’s tendency to hold the ball could get amplified in a hostile environment and kneecap the offense.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

I’d rather go with Card than Wright for Tech

If Card is out, is it crazy to run Roschon at QB for 50% of the snaps and run a wildcat heavy offense? Running with Wright at QB next weeks sounds like bad idea jeans.

Also, fuck yeah. Card played much better than Gilbert after their starting QBs went down vs Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 6

These kids make way too much money now to get much credit for things like “grittiness”, “heart”, or “effort” imo. They’re paid to win football games. That said, he sure as fuck played good enough to beat the #1 ranked team. A bad call and a missed chip shot field goal said otherwise. I tip my cap to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, MoJames said:

If Card is out, is it crazy to run Roschon at QB for 50% of the snaps and run a wildcat heavy offense?

I think *not* doing that would be crazy.  But you have to let RoJo throw it a couple of times to keep them honest.

And yes, I was proud of Card's effort, especially that 20-ish yard scramble on a 2nd and 19 with a bum wheel.  Kid's got heart.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This is why I love college football. You see a kid like this who has gotten knocked down and written off by the fans, and then he keeps working hard and comes in and plays his heart out. Much respect to Card for hanging in there. We will need him to salvage this season while Ewers heals up. 

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, MoJames said:

If Card is out, is it crazy to run Roschon at QB for 50% of the snaps and run a wildcat heavy offense? Running with Wright at QB next weeks sounds like bad idea jeans.

Also, fuck yeah. Card played much better than Gilbert after their starting QBs went down vs Alabama.

Card is more seasoned and developed than Garrett was when Mack tossed him to the wolves. I imagine his lack of game reps were due to Mack trying to boost Colt's numbers for Heisman or just idiocy.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Helobious said:

These kids make way too much money now to get much credit for things like “grittiness”, “heart”, or “effort” imo. They’re paid to win football games. That said, he sure as fuck played good enough to beat the #1 ranked team. A bad call and a missed chip shot field goal said otherwise. I tip my cap to him.

Not sure why money factors into anything. The kid could barely move out there. He could have chose to protect himself and made Sark throw whoever back there and ride it out and give us no shot. You have pros getting paid 10x what some of these kids make and people are fawning all over there toughness for playing through less of an injury.

We need to find a Hudson Card every 3 years or so to keep this thing where it needs to be, starting in 2024.

We need a QB1 (Ewers)

We need a future QB1 (Arch)

We need a program guy that is willing to get his degree from UT and play when QB 1 gets hurt, learn from Sark, stay in the program 3 or 4 years, and grad transfer out with what he learned to an SMU or whatever type as a guy in his 4th year with 2 years of eligibility left after he gets his degree (Card & Shane B- maybe Charles Wright can be this guy for us too- we shall see Saturday)

We need a pure development guy that might have some upside that we sort of like if he hits it big and nails his development (Mac Jones type- this is Maliik for us).

You can only reasonably expect to take QB1 and future QB1 every other year if we are being honest. 

Just incredible buzzards luck that QB1 and backup guy got hurt and future QB1 isn't on campus next year.   

I hope Card is back by Tech and wins us that game and WVU.  Then I hope we send him off with his McCombs degree, and a hero's farewell to SMU and watch him light it up and have a 6 year career holding a clipboard in the NFL. 

Game effort. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

He played hard. Nothing bad to say about his effort or mentality on Saturday. Tip of the cap.

That said, he’s still rather flawed as a QB; if today or Friday rolls around and the ankle injury is still preventing him from planting, and all his downfield throws are as off as they were towards the end of the Bama game, probably better going with Wright for a week. I’d rather go with Card than Wright for Tech, but it’s easy to see how Card’s tendency to hold the ball could get amplified in a hostile environment and kneecap the offense.

He's got to get rid of the F'n ball.  The slow decision making must end and end now.  

Right the fuck now.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:

I was unfairly critical of Card during the game not realizing he was playing hurt. Dude protected the ball and did what he could.

So how did you not realize he was playing hurt?  That severe limp and Karate Kid stance when he was just standing there waiting for the play call didn't tip you off?

1 hour ago, 1leggedduck said:

True, but my impression of Leach's offense was to make it simple for the quarterback with limited reads and progressons, so you didn't have to have the quick decision skills needed for a more complex scheme.

It's not at all that simple. Rather, it's based on having just a handful (like, 3) of well-designed plays that any of which can attack the full field, then repping the absolute snot out of them in practice. QBs still have to learn to read the defense, go through their progression, throw open a receiver in tight coverage, etc.

25 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Couple questions. (1) How bad is Card’s injury? (2) How good a passer was RoJo in HS?

I always thought Rochon passing would be a perfect wrinkle to throw in once in a while, as a fake.  Yet it’s never happened to my knowledge.  My guess is they ain’t starting now.  Not sure how much he’s even thrown in the last 4 years 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We need to find a Hudson Card every 3 years or so to keep this thing where it needs to be, starting in 2024.

We need a QB1 (Ewers)

We need a future QB1 (Arch)

We need a program guy that is willing to get his degree from UT and play when QB 1 gets hurt, learn from Sark, stay in the program 3 or 4 years, and grad transfer out with what he learned to an SMU or whatever type as a guy in his 4th year with 2 years of eligibility left after he gets his degree (Card & Shane B- maybe Charles Wright can be this guy for us too- we shall see Saturday)

We need a pure development guy that might have some upside that we sort of like if he hits it big and nails his development (Mac Jones type- this is Maliik for us).

You can only reasonably expect to take QB1 and future QB1 every other year if we are being honest. 

Just incredible buzzards luck that QB1 and backup guy got hurt and future QB1 isn't on campus next year.   

I hope Card is back by Tech and wins us that game and WVU.  Then I hope we send him off with his McCombs degree, and a hero's farewell to SMU and watch him light it up and have a 6 year career holding a clipboard in the NFL. 

Game effort. 

This thread is about respect. Card has always wanted to play for Texas. Transfer is not in his vocabulary. He isn't going to settle for QB2 either. He's a gamer, and if Sark would have opened up the playbook instead of throwing half of it away when he came in, we would have 2 wins today. Unfortunately, with the ankle, he may not get many more chances, and have to play on 1 leg to do it. He'll be very lucky if it heals anytime soon, he'll have to play with pain like Casey, and we know Sark will have no problem with that.

• Fuck You 5

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

What the title says.

For all the shit we've given him, he has persevered. He wasn't great, but he played his heart out, and did it hurt.

Respect.

Yep. Definitely played with pain. No quit at all, esp on the 1st down run. Nicely done, young man ...

2 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

This thread is about respect. Card has always wanted to play for Texas. Transfer is not in his vocabulary. He isn't going to settle for QB2 either. He's a gamer, and if Sark would have opened up the playbook instead of throwing half of it away when he came in, we would have 2 wins today. Unfortunately, with the ankle, he may not get many more chances, and have to play on 1 leg to do it. He'll be very lucky if it heals anytime soon, he'll have to play with pain like Casey, and we know Sark will have no problem with that.

That was respectful. I said we need one like him every 3 years or so to be where we want to be as a program, and we got really unlucky that he's hurt and might miss his moment to become a longhorn hero for going 3-0 or something before OU when hopefully Ewers is back and healthy. 

You saw what a future NFL superstar looked like on the field in Ewers in the 1st Quarter.  Then, you saw what his backup looked like after that.  And that is important as health isn't guaranteed. He's a lot better than Matt Nordgren or Case McCoy or some of the other backups we've seen play for us.  Comparing someone to Shane B. is a complement.

And dude- he's going to transfer after he gets his degree.

I'll play devil's advocate here. Yes it was a gutsy performance and he played through a tough injury. But setting that aside, Card has fallen well below expectations. He was brought in as our most highly rated QB recruit since Gilbert. He was rated the #2 dual threat in the country behind only Bryce Young.

Three years into the program he has shown minimal improvement in pocket presence, poise, and accuracy. Sark cannot even operate his full complement of plays with Card in. So I would say he has been a huge disappointment versus expectations. And if he were starting QB at OU or something we would be celebrating the opp to blitz him repeatedly.  

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I'll play devil's advocate blah blah blah... 

You know... well, actually, no you don't.

I didn't neg you because I don't neg posts, and that's the only reason.

This post is as bad and/or simply stupid as your reputation among most - well, many - posters here. 

Jumping in with thoughtless (literally) bullshit at this point in our season and under these circumstances is so quintessentially you, that I'm not really angry, just... ummmm... saddened.

As one of my uncles would tell the driver in the car beside him after the asshole had come so fucking close to causing a ten-car accident, then we pulled up next to him at a red light: "You are one pathetic shit, you poor, sad bastard."

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

This post has been up for an hour and not a single neg? Surly is soft or slacking.