Much respect to Card

Tex Long

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You saw what a future NFL superstar looked like on the field in Ewers in the 1st Quarter.  Then, you saw what his backup looked like after that.

We can agree to disagree on this. Card is a future Buchelle or Garrett or Sims of a guy. He was perfectly capable of being a dual threat as we saw Saturday. That's not what Sark is looking for, he wants the QB when asked to pass 1st, and not scramble across the line of scrimmage without looking again for options, and then get a 1st down (which Card did twice and Quinn has yet to do). There is also a mis- conception about Quinn's long range ability. His long is 46 and Worthy had to make a huge adjustment to snag it. Card's long is 42 and he laid it perfect on the outside to Dijon, who had turned to the inside and made a great catch spinning back around. That's it for this team, 2 long shots landed. The middle and short game were mostly chip shots for both. The plays called were not the same, and that's on Sark, and likely cost us the game.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

il_794xN.885605482_4iy2.jpg

My greatest hope for Card, resulting from his play in this game, is that he will permanently lose that duck and cover response to imminent danger. He showed some speed and some moves, even with a busted wheel. Being on the main stage, playing the #1 team and given no chance at all to win should take care of most of his play problems, and if Sark calls the right plays, everybody on the team will benefit.

Again to Hudson Card, huge respect. You earned it.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

We can agree to disagree on this. Card is a future Buchelle or Garrett or Sims of a guy. He was perfectly capable of being a dual threat as we saw Saturday. That's not what Sark is looking for, he wants the QB when asked to pass 1st, and not scramble across the line of scrimmage without looking again for options, and then get a 1st down (which Card did twice and Quinn has yet to do). There is also a mis- conception about Quinn's long range ability. His long is 46 and Worthy had to make a huge adjustment to snag it. Card's long is 42 and he laid it perfect on the outside to Dijon, who had turned to the inside and made a great catch spinning back around. That's it for this team, 2 long shots landed. The middle and short game were mostly chip shots for both. The plays called were not the same, and that's on Sark, and likely cost us the game.

Who is Sims?

I was shocked when Bama brought that blitz in his face & he just put blind faith into his line, stepped up in the pocket. and launched a beautiful pass to Whitt. Maybe he had no choice, I don’t recall if his ankle was injured at that point. 

If it’s the play I’m thinking of, he was already hurt. I had just turned the game on and was shocked by it.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Respect?  Yes.  

Apology? Hmmmmm

Rewatch all of his other games beginning with Arkansas and then get back to me on what needs to be apologized for.

The Arkansas game where Whitt dropped a TD that hit him in the hands? Where Dicker missed a chip shot, then fumbled a punt in the red zone? The one where Bijan failed to show up? The one where the O line looked like a toll lane? That was a team loss. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Respect?  Yes.  

Apology? Hmmmmm

Rewatch all of his other games beginning with Arkansas and then get back to me on what needs to be apologized for.

He actually knows how to step up in the pocket and make a throw now. The apology is for doubting him. When he came in at first I was like, "we're fucked..." but as he progressed I was like, "let's go king!" Also, no turnovers. If this is 2021 he throws at least 2 picks and maybe fumbles the ball away. 

5 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

The Arkansas game where Whitt dropped a TD that hit him in the hands? Where Dicker missed a chip shot, then fumbled a punt in the red zone? The one where Bijan failed to show up? The one where the O line looked like a toll lane? That was a team loss. 

Thank you, Mrs Card. Your son still drops his eyes to the rush, tell him to stop.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

He actually knows how to step up in the pocket and make a throw now. The apology is for doubting him. When he came in at first I was like, "we're fucked..." but as he progressed I was like, "let's go king!" Also, no turnovers. If this is 2021 he throws at least 2 picks and maybe fumbles the ball away. 

Card was never an int. risk, threw 1 all last year. That was Casey. And probably in Quinn's future.

15 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

14 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Hudson may have practiced today... per OB

9 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

That'll do, Mr Card.  

18 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

You can respect what the dude did against Bama and still not apologize for doubting him.  Again, rewatch all of his games prior, including ULM, and tell me what anyone would have to apologize for?  If there was a flicker of a doubt-flame, Hudson loaded it with dead oak trees and hosed it down with jet fuel.

Apologies are not necessary.  Respect has to be earned, and for one game, one HUGE game, Hudson earned it.  Now, let's see if he can build on that.

21 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I dont know exactly how the transfer portal works but I’m pretty sure that, at some point, Card saw Ewers coming and Manning behind him.  
He could have transferred or “entered the portal” but instead he sacked up and competed.  And, after he lost out on starting he still sacked up and carried the clipboard.

And, turns out we needed him in a bad way and instead of having ass for a backup, we had a serviceable backup that, even with a bad ankle gave us a fighting chance.

In this day and age that earns you respect.  At least from me.  

Good work Card - you’re not done yet.

^^This too is correct.  That he stuck around deserves RESPEK.

You can respect what the dude did against Bama and still not apologize for doubting him.  Again, rewatch all of his games prior, including ULM, and tell me what anyone would have to apologize for?  If there was a flicker of a doubt-flame, Hudson loaded it with dead oak trees and hosed it down with jet fuel.
Apologies are not necessary.  Respect has to be earned, and for one game, one HUGE game, Hudson earned it.  Now, let's see if he can build on that.

He deserves some credit for West Virginia. Not perfect by any stretch, but he threw a very good deep ball to Worthy. Before he got hurt on what should have been a late hit, he moved great in the pocket and got a first. If he doesn’t hurt there, there’s a decent chance the outcome of that game is different.

25 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I dont know exactly how the transfer portal works but I’m pretty sure that, at some point, Card saw Ewers coming and Manning behind him.  
He could have transferred or “entered the portal” but instead he sacked up and competed.  And, after he lost out on starting he still sacked up and carried the clipboard.

He's also in McCombs doing Business Management.  He knows his UT degree is important.  He is playing school too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, MoJames said:

If Card is out, is it crazy to run Roschon at QB for 50% of the snaps and run a wildcat heavy offense? Running with Wright at QB next weeks sounds like bad idea jeans.

Also, fuck yeah. Card played much better than Gilbert after their starting QBs went down vs Alabama.

Oh, no, here we go again!  Does everybody still forget the whole saga?  I called it early in the year, probably in Sept. that Mack needed to get the backup some reps, because the backup was a freshman.  Gilbert's ball was much, much faster than Colt's.  When timing is off, even by a tiny bit, it is much harder to complete passes.  Mack didn't understand the situation.  All Mack cared about was appearing to look like a good sport by handing off starting the moment we had about a 28 point lead or so.  Best chance for quality passing reps for Gilbert came in the game in November against directional Florida school at home.  We had about a 30 point lead at half.  By the time Gilbert comes in he might have thrown one or two passes.  Not enough for him to be ready in January.  All he needed was about two quarters of live game action, with the entire playbook and the entire first team.  

Proof of timing problem happened in the Rose Bowl when Gilbert slings a fastball to the end zone and it was dropped by the player...1st half I think.   If that player had any reps with Gilbert he would have had a much better chance of catching the ball.  Add that TD in and confidence would have soared.  

We would have won the game if Mack had given Gilbert the reps needed to be ready.  The window opened and closed in November vs. the Florida school.  

8 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Another thing to point out: I respect Hudson for the fact that he didn't transfer out when Quinn came in. With our current situation I'm glad we have an upperclassmen QB that has legit game experience. 

Exactly what I was going to post. There was 100% certainty among some posters, fans, and media that Card was gone soon after Manning committed and then after Ewers was tagged as QB1. I commend the guy for staying -- he played in game 1 and then took the reins one quarter into game 2. This is why you stay, and why you stay competitive in camp and practice. Good on ya, Card. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

He deserves some credit for West Virginia. Not perfect by any stretch, but he threw a very good deep ball to Worthy. Before he got hurt on what should have been a late hit, he moved great in the pocket and got a first. If he doesn’t hurt there, there’s a decent chance the outcome of that game is different.

No argument.

22 hours ago, 6th Street said:

I'll play devil's advocate here. Yes it was a gutsy performance and he played through a tough injury. But setting that aside, Card has fallen well below expectations. He was brought in as our most highly rated QB recruit since Gilbert. He was rated the #2 dual threat in the country behind only Bryce Young.

Three years into the program he has shown minimal improvement in pocket presence, poise, and accuracy. Sark cannot even operate his full complement of plays with Card in. So I would say he has been a huge disappointment versus expectations. And if he were starting QB at OU or something we would be celebrating the opp to blitz him repeatedly.  

Last year Texas beat 1 ranked team, Lala. Card at the helm. This year he helps them almost knock off #1 Bama. The haters that are uninformed persist. Such is life.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

That fucking run when he was gimpy and he still gutted out a first down is all I needed to see. The dude is not Ewers but he's working his ass off for this team. Now, it's up to you Charlie but you might considering cutting the kid a little slack. 

Yeah, I was frustrated by his performance yesterday, very much.  And his body language is super "meh," but I guess that's kind of like resting bitch face, it's just the way he is.

But at moments like that, you realize he's putting it on the line.

• Hook 'Em 1

He can be infuriating to watch, but that long run probably hurt and also probably sealed the game.  You could see in the plays immediately following how fired up the team was by it, and we scored I believe two plays later.

The guy doesn't have what we need in a starter, but he's sure as hell giving everything he's got right now.  I can be both thankful for his effort, and excited that we hopefully won't need him to for much longer.

• Hook 'Em 2

I forgot he was such a highly ranked recruit. He was clearly hugely overrated (fuck you lake Travis) but on a healthy ankle and a strong run game behind him I think he’s probably good enough to be a 10-win type of QB. I actually do think he could beat OU this year if the Bama game defense shows up, gimpy ankle and all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I forgot he was such a highly ranked recruit. He was clearly hugely overrated (fuck you lake Travis) but on a healthy ankle and a strong run game behind him I think he’s probably good enough to be a 10-win type of QB. I actually do think he could beat OU this year if the Bama game defense shows up, gimpy ankle and all.

Pretty sure Quinn will be back for OU, but it won't surprise me if they use Card as well if Quinn isn't 100%