Much respect to Card

Tex Long

On 9/13/2022 at 6:51 AM, JGrayDBU said:

Oh, no, here we go again!  Does everybody still forget the whole saga?  I called it early in the year, probably in Sept. that Mack needed to get the backup some reps, because the backup was a freshman.  Gilbert's ball was much, much faster than Colt's.  When timing is off, even by a tiny bit, it is much harder to complete passes.  Mack didn't understand the situation.  All Mack cared about was appearing to look like a good sport by handing off starting the moment we had about a 28 point lead or so.  Best chance for quality passing reps for Gilbert came in the game in November against directional Florida school at home.  We had about a 30 point lead at half.  By the time Gilbert comes in he might have thrown one or two passes.  Not enough for him to be ready in January.  All he needed was about two quarters of live game action, with the entire playbook and the entire first team.  

Proof of timing problem happened in the Rose Bowl when Gilbert slings a fastball to the end zone and it was dropped by the player...1st half I think.   If that player had any reps with Gilbert he would have had a much better chance of catching the ball.  Add that TD in and confidence would have soared.  

We would have won the game if Mack had given Gilbert the reps needed to be ready.  The window opened and closed in November vs. the Florida school.  

We would've won the game if our OL that year hadn't been a sieve that Colt's quick release and legs disguised for most of the season, up until the Nebraska and Alabama games, because then he wouldn't have been injured in the first place!

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

We would've won the game if our OL that year hadn't been a sieve that Colt's quick release and legs disguised for most of the season, up until the Nebraska and Alabama games, because then he wouldn't have been injured in the first place!

Not sure it would've matter as Colt was hurt on a running play. Just a fluke fucking thing.

• 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

A coupe of guys named Griese and Dawson say hello.

Purdue has been referred to as "The Cradle of Quarterbacks"

Some of the well-known names include:

• Bob DeMoss
  • Dale Samuels
  • Len Dawson
  • Bob Griese
  • Mike Phipps
  • Gary Danielson
  • Mark Herrmann
  • Scott Campbell
  • Jim Everett
  • Drew Brees
  • Kyle Orton
  • Curtis Painter

That does not include a couple of recent guys: David Blough and Danny Etling are NFL backups right now.  Aidan O'Connell looks to be drafted this year.

• Like 1

Good luck to him.  I think he'll do well at Purdue and in the Big 10.  

My lasting memory of him will be the Arky game, which wasn't so great, but I know in other games he played well.  It's a crowded QB room these days and he's got to do what's best for him.  Hook 'em!

5 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Good luck to him.  I think he'll do well at Purdue and in the Big 10.  

My lasting memory of him will be the Arky game, which wasn't so great, but I know in other games he played well.  It's a crowded QB room these days and he's got to do what's best for him.  Hook 'em!

Yes, plus he plays school and Purdue has excellent grad school programs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A female friend of my son went to Purdont. We all heard reports from her for 4 years.

Hudson is in for a rude awakening.

The coeds who attend Purdont? You know you are getting close when you hear a "mooing" sound.

As for West Lafayette? It makes College Station look like a Garden Spot. West Lafayette population - about 45K.

On the other hand, it is about only 110 miles away from Chicago so it's got that working for it.

In any event, good luck Hudson and here's hoping you light up the Big 10 this next year.

2 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

The coeds who attend Purdont? You know you are getting close when you hear a "mooing" sound.

Man, nah...  They're no bigger than Texas coeds. Maybe a bit less ripped from being in the cold. Definitely less, um... tan. Way less tan (except for the ones that hit the tanning beds regularly.)

What Hudson is going to find out is that he's from Texas, and that is going to give him more attention... even as a QB.

Even though his HC made it clear two seasons that he had no place on the team for Hudson Card unless the (somewhat) inexplicably-chosen QB1 was unable to play, Card stayed with us and did a respectable job.

So, All Respect to Card. 

Part of that has to be questions to Sark about playing an injured Ewers an entire game when he appeared to blind and brain-injured, after Card had been looking pretty good as replacement QB1. There were thousands of screams of anguish from the SurlynWorthy, but I don't recall any answers that made sense.

So - last time, I swear - Pure Respect to Card, simple as I can make it: Thanks, Man.