UT-Austin #10 public U per USN&WR

TKthunder2

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ut-austin-ranked-top-public-university-in-texas-us-news-says/amp/

UT Austin ranked top public university in Texas by US News

8 hours ago

Jaclyn Ramkissoon and Christopher Adams

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The University of Texas at Austin was ranked the top public university in Texas in 2022 by U.S. News and World Report, beating out schools like Texas A&M and Texas Tech. 

The university ranked second overall when taking both public and private schools into consideration, with UT Austin only falling behind private school Rice University in Houston. 

Here are the top 10 universities in Texas, both public and private, according to U.S. News’ list: 

1. Rice University
  2. University of Texas at Austin
  3. Texas A&M University
  4. Southern Methodist University
  5. Baylor University
  6. Texas Christian University
  7. The University of Texas at Dallas
  8. University of Houston
  9. Texas Tech University
  10. Abilene Christian University

Out of public universities nationwide, UT Austin tied with the University of California, Davis and the University of Wisconsin—Madison for the No. 10 spot. When accounting for both public and private universities across the country, UT tied with the same schools for the No. 38 spot. 

U.S. News analyzed 1,500 colleges and weighed different factors including graduation and retention rates, faculty resources and financial resources for students. 

U.S. News also ranked UT Austin’s engineering program the top in the state out of programs that offered a doctorate. Nationwide, the UT Austin program ties for the No. 9 spot alongside Purdue University—West Lafayette and Cornell University. 

The UT Austin business program also fared well in the U.S. News rankings, with it being ranked No. 1 in Texas and No. 7 nationwide. 

Austin’s St. Edwards University, a private school, ranked 12th on the list of public and private universities in the state. Huston-Tillotson University ranked fourth out of Historically Black Colleges and Universities in Texas.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

1. University of California-Berkeley
1. UCLA

3. Michigan
3. Virginia

5. Florida
5. North Carolina

7. UC-Santa Barbara

8. UC-Irvine
8. UC-San Diego

10. UC-Davis
10. Texas
10. Wisconsin

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Florida? 

Yeah, they’ve been ranked ahead of us for a while now.  Generally they’ve been around the same level as Wisconsin, not sure what they did to jump in the rankings as much as they have.

That being said, the below is even crazier in my book…

13 Illinois
13 William & Mary

15 Georgia Tech

16 Ohio State

17 Georgia

18 Purdue

19 Florida State
19 Rutgers
19 Maryland
19 Washington

• Hook 'Em 1

USN&WR rankings are notoriously terrible.  Some of it relies on self-reporting, so unscrupulous school officials can easily manipulate portions of their own school's rankings.

Anyone remember back in the 90s when USN&WR briefly had A&M ranked ahead of Texas?  Yeah...

Maybe USNews sucks, but as a Texan it sure would be nice to know why our best public would only be tied for 6th in California. Do we have any plans to fight for a top education for our future students?

Let's look at our top 6 compared to California's...

10- UT

26- A&M

72- UTD

91- Houston

112- Tech

132- Sam Houston

Absolutely abysmal for top ranked Texas kids. You either get into UT or your options are incredibly limited to cults, commuter schools, or just not entering a Texas public school.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

FL has been a top tier public school for a while now

It is a top tier public school to be sure, but it is not #5 worthy.  If you don't count Texas and North Carolina as "southern states", it is yes---by far the best public university in the South.  But that ain't saying much.  UMass is probably the best public university from D.C. to Maine, but that ain't saying much either.  I know the rankings are gamed.  And I can live with UT's spot because in Carnegie rankings, research grant decision rooms, graduate school admissions committees, and serious employers...we are worlds ahead of Florida.  But optically, I just fucking hate the way it reads.  Fucking Florida?  Seriously?  What meth head had to blow the editor of that list?  

Went to UF for grad school... I think "Stripper Master's" program and "what meth head had to blow the editor" comments are bullshit, but no, in reputation -- and just the feeling of the caliber of student, it ain't UT.

I know UF has been putting a big push toward rising in rankings. When I was there awhile back, it was a push to get into the Top 10 of publics. Goal achieved. My impression was always that it was a good school, but not on par with UT as far as facilities, reach, reputation, etc.

There is no Bill & Melinda Gates Computer Science Complex. There was no feeling that the next Michael Dell was sitting in Jester, building a new company. There was no Harry Ransom Center. 

But remember, Florida and that area draws from a huge population. There are going to be bright students. It seemed to also be a big draw for professors wanting to teach/research in a place that wasn't cold. It also seemed to actually care and want to help students. Where at UT there was always a vibe of "you're lucky we let you in" at UF it was "we are happy that you're here."

19 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Overall school rankings shouldn't matter nearly as much, but it is unfortunately something that a lot of people put stock into. If you want to get a top education in any given field, you should be looking at the best schools for that particular field of study, not overall rankings.

Unless you are going into a very specific career (ie Wall Street) I don't really think it matters a whole hell of a lot where you go to school these days.   Education has turned into a P/L business and kids are playing into their hands.    

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Overall school rankings shouldn't matter nearly as much, but it is unfortunately something that a lot of people put stock into. If you want to get a top education in any given field, you should be looking at the best schools for that particular field of study, not overall rankings.

I agree. I would rather Texas be #1 in football instead of #1 in the Director's Cup. 🤣

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, well....

Ah shit, are you guys still a full-on state?  I lived there for awhile and even folks that attended "lesser" UC schools and CSU system schools put everybody except maybe the top half of UT to fucking shame.  Our "flagships" like Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Houston, UNT, and Texas State, couldn't hold the jockstrap of the lower quintile of Cal State-Stanislaus.  The gap is that fucking big.  I keep forgetting that what's "smart" in Texas is "charming" at Chico State. 

Clicked on some msn bait about usnw top 1 endowments just to see where we landed. We didn’t make the list, aggy did. It also had the university ranking in the column next to the endowment amount, and it was a bunch of single digits and teens- and aggy at 65. 

im sure it’s a product of “self reporting” but you’d think usnw might ask for clarification on something that makes such little sense. 

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

State of Texas does not stand behind education. Having 6 CA universities in the top 10 while Texas has 1 is sad. One state wants to prepare the next generation of talent. The other doesn't.

Kind of a feedback loop. The best and brightest want to live in nice cities with good laws and reasonably competent governance. In Texas, there's Austin, Houston, and very little else. I am surprised to see U of H so low, and UTSA not even on the list? That school has made strides in a lot of ways, not just on the field either.

^
Fair points, but again as others have stated---there's so much shit that goes into/doesn't go into those rankings.  Hell, a lot of "Why would I give money back to UT?" crowd doesn't understand that just a $50 gift each year counts as alumni philanthropy and is 10% of the weighted rankings.  But yes, for UT-D, UT-Arlington, UTSA to be so low is of concern but we know internally---they are doing much better and have significantly more resources and respect than just a half-decade ago.  

But it's the overall trend is what's disturbing.  UC-B  and UC-LA are top of the top of the top of public schools.  Then UT-Austin.  And then basically every single other school in the UC System, then A&M and a few UT System schools, and then every single CSU school, and then the rest of ours statewide.  We're not just slightly behind California, we are light years behind and will never, ever catch up.  Ever.  Under any kinda of leadership, regardless of party nor policy.  We're okay with a poorly educated public in Texas and I don't see that changing in my lifetime nor my children's.  We see it as a feature, not a bug.  We're just Mississippi with oil money, that's all we fucking are.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

100%

You want to be a vet, you look at agy

Oil and Gas & live in the area, you get your MBA from Rice

Music, UNT is great.  

Ranch Mgmt - TCU

The school the degree is in matters, not the overall rankings.  Then you start exploring the next level - masters, etc and it gets even more specialized.  

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

Kind of a feedback loop. The best and brightest want to live in nice cities with good laws and reasonably competent governance. In Texas, there's Austin, Houston, and very little else. I am surprised to see U of H so low, and UTSA not even on the list? That school has made strides in a lot of ways, not just on the field either.

I look back to when UT wanted to open a campus in Houston, and U of H used any power they could to stop it. Makes zero sense that we're allowing potential competition to lower education choice and results.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

In Texas, there's Austin, Houston, and very little else.

First off.  Lol at Austin with competent anything involving governance and leadership.   That city is run like a one armed rower.    But I will expand on the stupidity that people throw out that only people educated by your state universities can and do work in your state.    Plenty of Texas educated people working all over the US and world.  Plenty of Calif educated people working all over.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I look back to when UT wanted to open a campus in Houston, and U of H used any power they could to stop it. Makes zero sense that we're allowing potential competition to lower education choice and results.

UTH would be a really stupid acronym though, so I understand

3 hours ago, midtown said:

First off.  Lol at Austin with competent anything involving governance and leadership.   That city is run like a one armed rower.    But I will expand on the stupidity that people throw out that only people educated by your state universities can and do work in your state.    Plenty of Texas educated people working all over the US and world.  Plenty of Calif educated people working all over.  

It’s not so much that only people educated by your state work in your state. It’s more that having world-class research universities foster whole ecosystems of R&D, business, and venture capital.

Silicon Valley wouldn’t have happened without Stanford and Berkeley. LA as a center of defense and aerospace wouldn’t have happened without Cal Tech and UCLA.

California is fucked up in many ways, but having these universities (especially the public ones) is one thing they are still getting right out here.

Texas (the state) should be so much better from a higher education perspective.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Went to UF for grad school... I think "Stripper Master's" program and "what meth head had to blow the editor" comments are bullshit, but no, in reputation -- and just the feeling of the caliber of student, it ain't UT.

I know UF has been putting a big push toward rising in rankings. When I was there awhile back, it was a push to get into the Top 10 of publics. Goal achieved. My impression was always that it was a good school, but not on par with UT as far as facilities, reach, reputation, etc.

There is no Bill & Melinda Gates Computer Science Complex. There was no feeling that the next Michael Dell was sitting in Jester, building a new company. There was no Harry Ransom Center. 

But remember, Florida and that area draws from a huge population. There are going to be bright students. It seemed to also be a big draw for professors wanting to teach/research in a place that wasn't cold. It also seemed to actually care and want to help students. Where at UT there was always a vibe of "you're lucky we let you in" at UF it was "we are happy that you're here."

Now explain Florida State on that list.

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

But it's the overall trend is what's disturbing.  UC-B  and UC-LA are top of the top of the top of public schools.  Then UT-Austin.  And then basically every single other school in the UC System  

Correction- it's every single school in the UC system (other than Santa Cruz), then UT-Austin.  Source-my daughter goes to UCSB and talks endless shit about these rankings, without even thinking of the fact my UT degree is paying for her world class education.  But I'm not bitter.  Not at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, naija said:

the first 4 are indisputable and frankly way ahead of any others on that list, reputation wise.

Cal, UCLA, Michigan, UVA, UNC, and Texas were all the original public ivies at the same basic level academically and athletically. That is our peer group.

The others included in the list (Miami OH, Vermont, William & Mary, other UC schools) are great institutions but on a different tier.

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Cal, UCLA, Michigan, UVA, UNC, and Texas were all the original public ivies at the same basic level academically and athletically. That is our peer group.

The others included in the list (Miami OH, Vermont, William & Mary, other UC schools) are great institutions but on a different tier.

It's not 1985 anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

What did I do on this thread?  I don't get it.  I didn't come back for the rep, you know why I came back.  But yeah, couldn't help but deviate from that and just couldn't take the word "Florida" above us.  Nothing against the Gators, fine school.  Just that word "Florida", literally brings out pavlovian responses in me having lived there for a time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

What did I do on this thread?  I don't get it.  I didn't come back for the rep, you know why I came back.  But yeah, couldn't help but deviate from that and just couldn't take the word "Florida" above us.  Nothing against the Gators, fine school.  Just that word "Florida", literally brings out pavlovian responses in me having lived there for a time.  

You know, depending on where you live in Texas, one might have a similar Pavlovian reaction to the word “Texas”. Like, say, a DFW exurb. 

16 hours ago, naija said:

It's not 1985 anymore.

Not sure your point. These aren’t the only rankings that matter but even so we’re only 1 of 8 P5 schools in the top 10.  Texas beats many of our peers in other rankings (patents granted, research dollars, international rankings, faculty and students awards/honors) but this isn’t a contest, Texas strives to be great because that is our mission.  When the medical school is fully built out (with a heavy presence of MD Anderson) and the graduate housing by the baseball field is complete we’ll rise even higher in the rankings (I’m sure there are other areas we’ll focus on, but I haven’t seen the 10 year plan in some time).

Anyone who thinks we aren’t peers with Cal, UCLA, Michigan, UNC, and UVA is either aggy, or simply uninformed.

• Hook 'Em 1