Kenpom 2022-23

shadow_operative

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm rusty, and don't have a sub to KenPom -- what are the numbers following the scores (66, etc.)?

How many times the team gets a turn with South Austin’s mom - more if you win, less if you lose. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 11/8/2022 at 9:57 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I'm rusty, and don't have a sub to KenPom -- what are the numbers following the scores (66, etc.)?

Looking at expected results those numbers appear to be the out right win probability.   

On 11/8/2022 at 11:57 AM, jimmyjazz said:

26 minutes ago, SDG said:

Looking at expected results those numbers appear to be the out right win probability.   

I believe that's expected possessions in the game (or actual possessions for completed games) but also don't have a subscription. 

Edited by Huckleberry

B9B81533-4513-4B12-93DE-7A8671A42C33.jpeg.c34ebbcf03e902cbb557b12e91a462b4.jpeg

avg possession length 15.5 seconds, the 25th fastest team in the country. that's why Chris Beard came to Texas- because Carr, Morris, Hunter, and Mitchell aren't going to go Lubbock, Texas to play basketball. and then for Beard to have them playing his usual brand of elite defense while running with this tempo- what a job he's doing. 

• Hook 'Em 7

54 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

We have wins over #10 and #14 and that gets trumped by UH's blowouts of a bunch of stiffs?

the ranking is just your Adjusted EM, or the difference in your AdjO score and your AdjD score, so at the end of the day you W/L results have little to do with your rating. 

edit: for example, we would still be ahead of U of H if Baylor McWhatshisface had simply missed one or two of those ridiculous shots in the final minute. once we get to february and all of the big boys have had a month of conference play, that's when the rankings become a lot more meaningful. 

Edited by shadow_operative

Rankings and ratings are merely conversational fodder at this stage. Don't get too worked up over them one way or the other. Seeding will take care of itself if this team stays healthy and continues to improve.

On that note, the cohesiveness is what surprises me most of all. Mitchell, Hunter and Rice have mixed in like they've been playing with their teammates for years, not months.

It's also apparent that everyone worked on their shooting in the offseason. Our 'Horns might not be lighting it up from outside, but their jumpers and moves inside the arc seem more polished.

The lockdown defense we all expected, but this offense is a revelation. These guys are fun to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

shooting clearly has to go up. if/when it does we will be a very dangerous team. we've still been pretty damn good despite being poor from both the line and BTA. 

I don't remember any fans identifying that as a potential issue before the season. Maybe you can recall someone. 

This team takes a lot of bad 3s. With Arterio and Carr being the biggest offenders and Bishop and Disu chipping in for whatever reason. It's as much of an issue if not a bigger issue than the actual shooting ability. The two players that actually exhibit good shot selection from BTA - SJabari and Tyrese - are both shooting above 36%. I would say Brock does as well and he's 4/13 on the year which is about what you'd hope to get from him.

Meanwhile Timmy, Disu, Bishop and Terio are a cool 8/45 on the season. I actually think Carr - adjusted for shot quality - has been better than expected but he's at .325 on the year. 

The FT shooting is a bigger issue - especially at the end of games with the 1&1 rule  - but it centers around 3 guys in Timmy, Bishop and Mitchell. Outside of those 3 Texas is at 78%. Tyrese is an absolute non-issue in that dept. despite an untimely miss last night. I think Carr can be a bit better than .731 going forward. I expect Mitchell and Bishop to be terrible all season. Timmy is the one that needs to pick it up - sub .500 isn't going to cut it - he's .730 on his career.