2022-23 PGA Tour season

Wally Fairway

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 11:03 AM, thunderlounge said:

Hope he gets some passes or something for doing it right.

Not that he would have played, but he had a nice souvenir.

Of course it would have been sorted out eventually. They know where they sent it.

Oh yeah, he's getting a practice round.  And dinner.  I'm assuming passes are part of this as well:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/03/us/scott-stallings-masters-tournament-invitation.html

It is the stuff golfers’ dreams are made of: a formal invitation from Augusta National Golf Club to compete in the Masters Tournament, considered the most prestigious event on the golf calendar.

When Scott Stallings, a real estate agent from Georgia, and his wife, Jenny, opened the door to their house on St. Simons Island on New Year’s Eve, they found that just such an invitation had arrived via UPS.

The envelope, in a brilliant shade of green instantly recognizable to golfers as Masters Green, was emblazoned with the gold logo of the Augusta National Golf Club. And it was addressed to Mr. Stallings.

Inside was another envelope bearing his name — Mr. Scott Stallings — in calligraphy and an invitation from the club’s board of governors, signed by Fred S. Ridley, the chairman of Augusta National, cordially welcoming him to participate in the Masters Tournament in April.

“You just got invited to the Masters,” Jenny Stallings told her husband as he unpacked the car. Both are “very casual golfers,” they said; they enjoy a round or two but are not quite up to the level needed to compete alongside the likes of Rory McIlroy and Scottie Scheffler.

But for a split second, Ms. Stallings said, her husband thought his moment had arrived.

“I was like ‘OK, well, I have this invitation,’” Mr. Stallings, 60, said. “It had my name on it. What are the chances?”

Spoiler

Then he realized the invitation was supposed to have been sent to that other Scott Stallings, a professional golfer and three-time PGA Tour winner who is ranked 54th in the world.

“Right away, I know this isn’t me,” said Mr. Stallings, the real estate agent, who likes to watch Mr. Stallings, the golfer, compete. “How in the heck did it show up here?”

The couple placed the invitation on their dining room table and decided to contact Mr. Stallings, the golfer.

“I play but wow!” Mr. Stallings wrote, adding: “I think we have some confusion because of our names, our wife’s names and geographical location.”

Mr. Stallings, the golfer, who lives in Tennessee and whose wife is also named Jennifer, responded with a laughing-with-tears-of-joy emoji, indicating he thought it might be a prank.

So Mr. Stallings, the real estate agent, followed up with photos of the invitation. “I’m really not kidding I promise,” he wrote in another direct message.

Mr. Stallings, the golfer, later shared the direct message from Mr. Stallings, the real estate agent, on Instagram.

“Literally had been checking the mailbox five times a day and then I got this random DM yesterday,” the golfer wrote. “My Masters invite got sent to a different Scott Stallings.”

Augusta National did not immediately respond on Tuesday to emails and calls seeking comment about how the invitation was sent to the wrong Scott Stallings. The club has asked players to R.S.V.P. to the invitations since the Masters began in 1934.

On Monday, the two Scott Stallingses and their wives spoke on the phone and made arrangements to get the invitation to the right Scott Stallings.

The golfer said in an interview on Tuesday that he had invited Mr. Stallings, the real estate agent, to dinner and a practice round at the Masters to thank him for agreeing to send the invitation.

“It was just nice to see someone doing the right thing,” the golfer said, adding: “I was just relieved that it physically existed.”

Ms. Stallings recorded a video of her husband, the real estate agent, parting ways with it at a UPS store.

“OK, Scott,” she said. “Why are we at the UPS store?”

“Because I’m having to send my invitation to play at the Masters back to the other Scott Stallings,” he said, holding the invitation and frowning.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she said.

“I tried,” he said. “That’s OK.”

And then it was gone, on its way to that other Scott Stallings, the one who really will get to compete in the Masters.

“It was like getting Willy Wonka’s golden ticket,” Scott Stallings, the real estate agent, said on Tuesday. “It was a hard one to let go of because I know how prestigious it is.”

• Hook 'Em 2

Here's the Athletic version of the story. It's a bit more detailed:

https://theathletic.com/4055473/2023/01/04/scott-stallings-masters-invitation/

Spoiler

Let’s, for a moment, think of the young lady working at The UPS Store counter in St. Simons Island, Georgia. Wearing a blue quarter-zip UPS Store shirt and a nose ring, she clocked in at some time Tuesday morning, went about her day. Maybe had a coffee. Or one of those health smoothies. Another shift.

That is, until two people, Scott and Jenny Stallings, approached the counter with an envelope in one hand and a fatal tension in the other. Scott clenched the parcel tight. Jenny’s stomach was in knots. She eyed the young lady cautiously.

The UPS employee, a bit unnerved, stared back at them.

“There’s a backstory,” Scott told her, “but I can’t tell you about it.”

Unbeknownst to anyone else in the store, including the quarter-zip, the envelope being slid across the counter had been on a journey long before it reached the store.

It also amounted to a 6×8 moral dilemma that’d leave any golfer feeling faint.

This all began on New Year’s Eve. The Stallings, a married real estate duo from Atlanta, decided to drive to their condo in St. Simons, a private barrier island off the Georgia coastline. Typically, the couple rents out the condo to vacationers, but it went unbooked for the holiday weekend, so they decided to take advantage. In another life, had someone booked the place on Airbnb, who knows where this story would’ve gone.

Upon arrival, Jenny went to the door as Scott unpacked the car. There sat an unexpected UPS envelope addressed to Scott. “What’s this?” she yelled. Scott had no clue. Confused, Jenny pulled back the tab and out came another envelope. A Russian doll, of sorts, but this second envelope was discernibly different.

It was green. A very familiar shade of green. Along with a gold embossment.

Jenny looked at it.

Blinked.

Looked again.

Like everyone else, Scott and Jenny enter the Masters ticket lottery every year. And every year, they’re passed over. Holding that envelope, though, Jenny thought the golf gods had finally smiled upon the Stallings of Atlanta. At last, their names were pulled. Masters tickets.

But that didn’t make any sense. Why would Augusta National send the tickets to their vacation home? So Jenny looked closer. Closer still. And.

Ho-ly sh– …

“I realized it was an invitation to play, not attend,” Jenny now says.

Scott Stallings of Atlanta first became aware of Scott Stallings the professional golfer about a decade ago. The non-professional Scott loves the game, but, like all of us, doesn’t get out enough. Houses don’t sell themselves, so golf remains a distant hobby. But Scott Stallings regularly checks PGA Tour leaderboards on Sundays to see how Scott Stallings is doing. Every once in a while, he’ll snap a picture of the television screen and post it on Facebook.

It’s unclear if any of the other 74 Scott Stallings on Facebook do the same. Like the Scott Stallings who works at Walmart in Ada, Okla. Or the one who’s a technician for Raytheon Technologies in Danville, Ala. Or the ones in Dunn, N.C., Custer, Ky., or Redlands, Calif.

The one in Atlanta, though? He’s a fan.

Scott Stallings is a three-time winner on the PGA Tour. A longtime journeyman, he’s riding a renaissance of late. The 37-year-old has reshaped his career by transforming himself physically. The results have come in waves, catapulting him from outside the top 200 in the world on Memorial Day 2022 to No. 54 to begin 2023. He finished runner-up in last season’s BMW Championship to land a spot in the Tour Championship for the first time in his career. The real perk? A spot in the 2023 Masters.

Stallings competed twice previously in the Masters, but not since 2014. All told, in his career, he’s made only 12 major tournament appearances. This upcoming trip to Augusta, coming on the heels of a breakout 2022 season, amounts to a fitting reward for a guy who’s stuck through some hard times.

Only problem was, as of last week, Stallings had yet to get his invitation from Augusta National. He was checking the mailbox daily. On Dec. 20, Augusta released a statement on qualifying criteria and the allowance of LIV Golf players to be part of the tournament field. The club announced the full list of participants for 2023 and, with that, players began posting pictures of their formal invitations on social media.

Stallings still didn’t have his. He went to the Masters website to doublecheck for his name.

Stallings began thinking his wife (yes, also named Jenny), had intercepted the invitation and was planning to put it under the tree on Christmas morning. But then Christmas came and went. No Masters invitation. Stallings was growing nervous.

“After we were done with presents, I stopped and asked her, ‘So, wait, for real, you don’t have it?'” Stallings said this week by phone from Hawaii where he’s competing in the Sentry Tournament of Champions.

Jenny told her husband: “I one-thousand percent don’t have it. I swear.”

In St. Simons, Scott realized that he, personally, was not in fact invited to play in the Masters. He didn’t understand how the mistake was made on Augusta’s part, but wanted to clear it up. With that, a very strange direct message was sent to “the real” Scott Stallings on Instagram. Scott explained he received an invite to play in the Masters.

At this point, Stallings was baffled and dreading the prospect of having to contact the starched shirts at Augusta National. Really, what do you say? “Uh, am I allowed to play?” That’s when a friend reminded him to check those funneled messages on social media from users he doesn’t follow.

There was Scott’s DM.

Clearly confused, and suspicious, Stallings replied back by LOLing.

So Scott sent pictures. The ANGC envelope and the invitation. Scott included his phone number and told Stallings to call him.

This was not, in fact, a scam or a joke. “Totally surreal,” Stallings now says.

Stallings called late that night, but was sent straight to voicemail. He left a message, then decided to share this whole very random coincidence on Instagram.

Scott awoke in St. Simons the following morning to a barrage of notifications on his phone.

“We thought something was wrong because our phones were bouncing off the nightstand,” Jenny says.

Eventually, both sides connected and figured everything out.

In 2014, the last time Stallings played the Masters, he operated a management company based in St. Simons. The old address for the company is exactly one block from Scott and Jenny’s vacation condo. That, it turns out, is where Augusta National sent Stallings’ 2023 invitation. UPS, though, having only one operational address for a “Scott Stallings” in St. Simons, redirected it to Scott’s condo address.

That’s how a 60-year-old with no professional golf experience found himself with an invitation to play in the Masters.

And that’s how a young lady working at UPS found herself with an envelope addressed both to Scott Stallings and from Scott Stallings.

In the end, we’ll never know what would’ve happened if Scott had decided to drive over to Augusta in April, turn on his blinker, and cruise down Magnolia Lane, asking where to go for the bag drop. Would’ve made for some very confused security personnel.

But if your name is Scott Stallings and your invitation to play says Scott Stallings …

Instead, Scott will have to settle for a one-in-a-million opportunity, instead of one-in-a-billion. Stallings is giving his name-elgänger passes to Monday and Tuesday practice rounds at this year’s Masters and taking them to dinner in Augusta.

Not bad for a guy who didn’t win the lottery.

As for Scott Stallings’ invite?

Well, it’s in the mail.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/4/2023 at 5:59 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Here's the Athletic version of the story. It's a bit more detailed:

https://theathletic.com/4055473/2023/01/04/scott-stallings-masters-invitation/

Hide contents

Let’s, for a moment, think of the young lady working at The UPS Store counter in St. Simons Island, Georgia. Wearing a blue quarter-zip UPS Store shirt and a nose ring, she clocked in at some time Tuesday morning, went about her day. Maybe had a coffee. Or one of those health smoothies. Another shift.

That is, until two people, Scott and Jenny Stallings, approached the counter with an envelope in one hand and a fatal tension in the other. Scott clenched the parcel tight. Jenny’s stomach was in knots. She eyed the young lady cautiously.

The UPS employee, a bit unnerved, stared back at them.

“There’s a backstory,” Scott told her, “but I can’t tell you about it.”

Unbeknownst to anyone else in the store, including the quarter-zip, the envelope being slid across the counter had been on a journey long before it reached the store.

It also amounted to a 6×8 moral dilemma that’d leave any golfer feeling faint.

This all began on New Year’s Eve. The Stallings, a married real estate duo from Atlanta, decided to drive to their condo in St. Simons, a private barrier island off the Georgia coastline. Typically, the couple rents out the condo to vacationers, but it went unbooked for the holiday weekend, so they decided to take advantage. In another life, had someone booked the place on Airbnb, who knows where this story would’ve gone.

Upon arrival, Jenny went to the door as Scott unpacked the car. There sat an unexpected UPS envelope addressed to Scott. “What’s this?” she yelled. Scott had no clue. Confused, Jenny pulled back the tab and out came another envelope. A Russian doll, of sorts, but this second envelope was discernibly different.

It was green. A very familiar shade of green. Along with a gold embossment.

Jenny looked at it.

Blinked.

Looked again.

Like everyone else, Scott and Jenny enter the Masters ticket lottery every year. And every year, they’re passed over. Holding that envelope, though, Jenny thought the golf gods had finally smiled upon the Stallings of Atlanta. At last, their names were pulled. Masters tickets.

But that didn’t make any sense. Why would Augusta National send the tickets to their vacation home? So Jenny looked closer. Closer still. And.

Ho-ly sh– …

“I realized it was an invitation to play, not attend,” Jenny now says.

Scott Stallings of Atlanta first became aware of Scott Stallings the professional golfer about a decade ago. The non-professional Scott loves the game, but, like all of us, doesn’t get out enough. Houses don’t sell themselves, so golf remains a distant hobby. But Scott Stallings regularly checks PGA Tour leaderboards on Sundays to see how Scott Stallings is doing. Every once in a while, he’ll snap a picture of the television screen and post it on Facebook.

It’s unclear if any of the other 74 Scott Stallings on Facebook do the same. Like the Scott Stallings who works at Walmart in Ada, Okla. Or the one who’s a technician for Raytheon Technologies in Danville, Ala. Or the ones in Dunn, N.C., Custer, Ky., or Redlands, Calif.

The one in Atlanta, though? He’s a fan.

Scott Stallings is a three-time winner on the PGA Tour. A longtime journeyman, he’s riding a renaissance of late. The 37-year-old has reshaped his career by transforming himself physically. The results have come in waves, catapulting him from outside the top 200 in the world on Memorial Day 2022 to No. 54 to begin 2023. He finished runner-up in last season’s BMW Championship to land a spot in the Tour Championship for the first time in his career. The real perk? A spot in the 2023 Masters.

Stallings competed twice previously in the Masters, but not since 2014. All told, in his career, he’s made only 12 major tournament appearances. This upcoming trip to Augusta, coming on the heels of a breakout 2022 season, amounts to a fitting reward for a guy who’s stuck through some hard times.

Only problem was, as of last week, Stallings had yet to get his invitation from Augusta National. He was checking the mailbox daily. On Dec. 20, Augusta released a statement on qualifying criteria and the allowance of LIV Golf players to be part of the tournament field. The club announced the full list of participants for 2023 and, with that, players began posting pictures of their formal invitations on social media.

Stallings still didn’t have his. He went to the Masters website to doublecheck for his name.

Stallings began thinking his wife (yes, also named Jenny), had intercepted the invitation and was planning to put it under the tree on Christmas morning. But then Christmas came and went. No Masters invitation. Stallings was growing nervous.

“After we were done with presents, I stopped and asked her, ‘So, wait, for real, you don’t have it?'” Stallings said this week by phone from Hawaii where he’s competing in the Sentry Tournament of Champions.

Jenny told her husband: “I one-thousand percent don’t have it. I swear.”

In St. Simons, Scott realized that he, personally, was not in fact invited to play in the Masters. He didn’t understand how the mistake was made on Augusta’s part, but wanted to clear it up. With that, a very strange direct message was sent to “the real” Scott Stallings on Instagram. Scott explained he received an invite to play in the Masters.

At this point, Stallings was baffled and dreading the prospect of having to contact the starched shirts at Augusta National. Really, what do you say? “Uh, am I allowed to play?” That’s when a friend reminded him to check those funneled messages on social media from users he doesn’t follow.

There was Scott’s DM.

Clearly confused, and suspicious, Stallings replied back by LOLing.

So Scott sent pictures. The ANGC envelope and the invitation. Scott included his phone number and told Stallings to call him.

This was not, in fact, a scam or a joke. “Totally surreal,” Stallings now says.

Stallings called late that night, but was sent straight to voicemail. He left a message, then decided to share this whole very random coincidence on Instagram.

Scott awoke in St. Simons the following morning to a barrage of notifications on his phone.

“We thought something was wrong because our phones were bouncing off the nightstand,” Jenny says.

Eventually, both sides connected and figured everything out.

In 2014, the last time Stallings played the Masters, he operated a management company based in St. Simons. The old address for the company is exactly one block from Scott and Jenny’s vacation condo. That, it turns out, is where Augusta National sent Stallings’ 2023 invitation. UPS, though, having only one operational address for a “Scott Stallings” in St. Simons, redirected it to Scott’s condo address.

That’s how a 60-year-old with no professional golf experience found himself with an invitation to play in the Masters.

And that’s how a young lady working at UPS found herself with an envelope addressed both to Scott Stallings and from Scott Stallings.

In the end, we’ll never know what would’ve happened if Scott had decided to drive over to Augusta in April, turn on his blinker, and cruise down Magnolia Lane, asking where to go for the bag drop. Would’ve made for some very confused security personnel.

But if your name is Scott Stallings and your invitation to play says Scott Stallings …

Instead, Scott will have to settle for a one-in-a-million opportunity, instead of one-in-a-billion. Stallings is giving his name-elgänger passes to Monday and Tuesday practice rounds at this year’s Masters and taking them to dinner in Augusta.

Not bad for a guy who didn’t win the lottery.

As for Scott Stallings’ invite?

Well, it’s in the mail.

76r70x.jpg.b0267aa47787079f238728880fb7513b.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yep. Struggled with the tee shot all day and had adventure after adventure.

speith had a hell of run, his us open was a fluke on a fluke course. That course should have never been a us open course

he just needs to get lucky, once, the week of the pga championship. I think he backs into one and locks down legendary status 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PGA is throwing ACC under the bus a bit to try and save face with Dell/Intel. Jim Crane has the rights to the Houston Open and is willing to pay to get his spot back in the Spring (week before The Masters). PGA is taking the sure thing with Houston after this year, but I don't really understand shitting in the pool right as you move out. The membership subsidized that tournament for many years and the PGA needed them a lot more than ACC needed the tour. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

spread that money around the lower half. Help the guys living week to week. 

So they should organize tournaments featuring the worst players instead? I like watching competitive golf... I don't care what the 300th guy in the world is filing on his taxes. 

3 hours ago, Par4 said:

PGA is throwing ACC under the bus a bit to try and save face with Dell/Intel. Jim Crane has the rights to the Houston Open and is willing to pay to get his spot back in the Spring (week before The Masters). PGA is taking the sure thing with Houston after this year, but I don't really understand shitting in the pool right as you move out. The membership subsidized that tournament for many years and the PGA needed them a lot more than ACC needed the tour. 

Your user name alone tells me you probably know a whole hell of a lot more about it than I do, so I'm curious about the sentence in bold....is membership referring to ACC members, and if so, how did they subsidize the tournament? Were they taking a lower fee than the tour usually pays a course? I always presumed that there are any number of country clubs looking to make a name for themselves that would jump at a PGA tour event, so I'm curious about the statement that the PGA needed ACC a lot more than the other way around. 

15 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Your user name alone tells me you probably know a whole hell of a lot more about it than I do, so I'm curious about the sentence in bold....is membership referring to ACC members, and if so, how did they subsidize the tournament? Were they taking a lower fee than the tour usually pays a course? I always presumed that there are any number of country clubs looking to make a name for themselves that would jump at a PGA tour event, so I'm curious about the statement that the PGA needed ACC a lot more than the other way around. 

I am sure you are correct in assuming there are plenty of courses that would jump at the opportunity to host an event. ACC is a little bit unique in that it is a member owned club (one of only 2 in Austin). The membership as the final say. This is opposed to a set up like Barton Creek which is owned by the Omni Hotel Group who could take the money and tell the membership to deal with it. 

At ACC the golf course is closed to members for approximately a minimum of one month every year directly related to tournament activities (2 weeks in October to over-seed the fairways and 2 weeks in March). Dues are still charged for those times even though access is limited or prohibited, when you factor in the whole membership it would be somewhere between $1.25 and $1.75 million dollars of dues collected while the PGA has the course. Membership tickets to the event are $750 per to access the club and course they are paying not to use. I know the first year the club netted well under $1M in profit from the event. I know that got better, but I don't think it ever passed $2M. 

I don't know if you live in Austin so you might not be familiar with the history. There was a private group led by Joe Ogilve (former PGA player) that had private money to build 2 high end golf courses designed by Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore along with a hotel etc. They were asking the City of Austin to provide a 99 year lease on the property that was currently unaccessible parkland in far east Austin. This was pitched with a behind the scenes commitment from the PGA to come to Austin and make the venue home. They were going to return a percentage of profits to the City of Austin Parks Department to maintain other properties in the system. The Austin CIty Council voted it down because golf was elitist and couldn't justify giving this land to the proposal. (https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/print-edition/2015/04/17/golf-in-austin-far-from-running-its-course.html)

ACC stepped up and agreed to host. The first contract was approved by 90+ percent of membership. The renewal 4 years later passed with 55% approval. A new contract was going to have to be pretty lucrative to pass a vote. 

• Hook 'Em 4