2022-23 PGA Tour season

Wally Fairway

On 3/6/2023 at 8:45 PM, YGIFS said:

Between ACC folks and media, stilll not really hearing the reason why they're not doing it.  Yes, contract expires but they're nothing preventing them from renewing it.  Unless there's other central texas/hill country course that's usurping them?  

The members made pretty crazy demands. There isn’t another course around Austin built for this. Austin golf is pretty shitty.

29 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Austin golf is pretty shitty.

Outside of SoCal and Florida it's actually pretty fucking amazing but to each their own. 

But - you're right - it must be an accident that Austin-area high schools fucking dominate state championships won as of late and UT is and has been one of the best golf programs in the country. 

Edited by ztejas

10 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

The members made pretty crazy demands. There isn’t another course around Austin built for this. Austin golf is pretty shitty.

As a member, I might be biased, however I think the fact that we tried to negotiate for a increase in the contract was the least of the factors that ended this deal. 

1. The PGA tour went to Dell to try and get more money out of them for sponsorship. Dell balked and wanted to share the load with Intel, it was reported that the initial discussions with Intel did not go well. 

2. Jim Crane now owns the Houston Open and has openly expressed his willingness to financially contribute to getting his spot back in the PGA tour rotation before the Masters (currently the spot occupied by the Dell Match Play). 

3. The WGC events are dying. They rely exclusively on the OWGR to determine the field and this hands a microphone to Greg Norman to bash the PGA tour for not including his LIV players that occupy some of those spots. He also gets a platform to lobby OWGR to change their formulas. 

4. We were on the last year of our host contract. The first contract was approved by the members with 92% in favor. The second contract with approved with roughly 55% approval. On that trajectory do you think it was going to pass another vote unless the PGA tour stepped up to make it worth our while? How would the PGA tour look if the membership didn't vote to extend another contract? Our board negotiates with the Tour, but the members have to approve the contract. Keeping things status quo was not going to fly. What type of PR hit would it be for the PGA Tour if it didn't pass?

We are 7 years into this deal and the wear and tear on our facilities is starting to show. We lose access to our golf course for 6-7 weeks a year and access to our other facilities for 3-4 weeks a year. During those times I can't use my golf course and facilities I am STILL REQUIRED TO PAY DUES, so our membership is paying $1500-$2000 to the subsidize this event. The tour then charges us $750 a ticket to access the course for the tournament so we get double dipped. FYI...The club nets between $1.5-$2M for hosting. We have a 10 year waiting list, we don't need the notoriety any longer we just want our club back. 

I am sorry that Austin is losing this event, but it was inevitable in it's current form. I am pretty sick of the membership getting blamed for it ending. We stepped up when Austin  needed us and have made it an amazing event. It has run it's course. The membership share of the blame for it ending is only a small factor. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

If the club nets $1.5 - $2M for hosting, why charge 2 months of dues? Seems silly to "subsidize" an event that turns a profit for the club.

Obligatory tell me you don't understand country clubs without telling me you don't understand country clubs. 😉

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, field said:

Obligatory tell me you don't understand country clubs without telling me you don't understand country clubs. 😉

I get it, CC's want all the cash but ACC is one of two member owned/run country clubs in Austin. It's the members making that decision.

I’ve never understood why the members would want to give up their course for a month+ during some of the best weather of the year.  Once every 10 or 20 years for a major or Ryder/Presidents Cup?  Sure, the juice is probably worth the squeeze.  But giving up March every year, when the cold is mostly gone and we aren’t in the blast furnace yet?  Fuck that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve never understood why the members would want to give up their course for a month+ during some of the best weather of the year.  Once every 10 or 20 years for a major or Ryder/Presidents Cup?  Sure, the juice is probably worth the squeeze.  But giving up March every year, when the cold is mostly gone and we aren’t in the blast furnace yet?  Fuck that.

We lose it for 2-3 weeks in October for overseed, typically this aligns with the nicest weather of the year. In order to ensure the seed takes the course has to overwater all winter changing the condition of the course for November and December.
The week of the tournament is great. All the other factors that go into it SUCK.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

A lot of it is for prestige which can also translate into higher membership fees. Plus the $2M the PGA pays doesn’t hurt. I think the extension offer was $3M/year. I’m sure there are some course and infrastructure improvements thrown in as well. 

Edited by TonyTexas

22 hours ago, NoName said:

Full Swing renewed for another season @ Netflix

20 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I ended up liking it, and it definitely has me more interested in golf. I'm a filthy casual and it definitely made me want to follow/root for some of the guys featured.

Basically everyone except for Koepka and Dustin Johnson. 

19 hours ago, Lurch said:

I probably watch more than most and still didn’t really know anything about Joel Dahman before Full Swing. Really hoping he gets into some late Sundays this year

11 hours ago, Updawg said:

Pretty much the same here.

The first couple of episodes were meh. But I’ve been liking it more than I would have thought. Watching episode 7 right now

I've watched all the episodes - it started off very strong, but then I'm a fan of Jordan and like JT so I thought that was the best episode; next best I thought was the one with Mito it was tough to watch knowing how it was going to end. 
Overall I'd give it 4.5 stars, no idea why there was so much Sean Foley (other than his connection to El Tigre). 
I'm glad to hear they are doing a 2nd season

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I've watched all the episodes - it started off very strong, but then I'm a fan of Jordan and like JT so I thought that was the best episode; next best I thought was the one with Mito it was tough to watch knowing how it was going to end. 
Overall I'd give it 4.5 stars, no idea why there was so much Sean Foley (other than his connection to El Tigre). 
I'm glad to hear they are doing a 2nd season

some of the media people i follow said that they think he's a super interesting person who has been around a bunch of these dudes but that they way underused him? idk

• Hook 'Em 1

So white dudes in Tahoe who wear patagonia vests in the summer screwed this up? ;)  

I get it, members seemed reasonable about it.  Seemed like all other parties kinda fucked it up.  In the end, I could give a shit.  I liked going 1-2 days/year.  the two most vocal members about this topic are old friends who don't even play golf.  They just pay golf dues so they can have a locker and family can use the pool.  I won't miss it either way, but I always pictured Bergstrom with SXSW hipsters, NASCAR fans, and PGA folks all crossing paths the same weekend.  Our little town's all growns up.  

3 hours ago, Par4 said:

As a member, I might be biased, however I think the fact that we tried to negotiate for a increase in the contract was the least of the factors that ended this deal. 

1. The PGA tour went to Dell to try and get more money out of them for sponsorship. Dell balked and wanted to share the load with Intel, it was reported that the initial discussions with Intel did not go well. 

2. Jim Crane now owns the Houston Open and has openly expressed his willingness to financially contribute to getting his spot back in the PGA tour rotation before the Masters (currently the spot occupied by the Dell Match Play). 

3. The WGC events are dying. They rely exclusively on the OWGR to determine the field and this hands a microphone to Greg Norman to bash the PGA tour for not including his LIV players that occupy some of those spots. He also gets a platform to lobby OWGR to change their formulas. 

4. We were on the last year of our host contract. The first contract was approved by the members with 92% in favor. The second contract with approved with roughly 55% approval. On that trajectory do you think it was going to pass another vote unless the PGA tour stepped up to make it worth our while? How would the PGA tour look if the membership didn't vote to extend another contract? Our board negotiates with the Tour, but the members have to approve the contract. Keeping things status quo was not going to fly. What type of PR hit would it be for the PGA Tour if it didn't pass?

We are 7 years into this deal and the wear and tear on our facilities is starting to show. We lose access to our golf course for 6-7 weeks a year and access to our other facilities for 3-4 weeks a year. During those times I can't use my golf course and facilities I am STILL REQUIRED TO PAY DUES, so our membership is paying $1500-$2000 to the subsidize this event. The tour then charges us $750 a ticket to access the course for the tournament so we get double dipped. FYI...The club nets between $1.5-$2M for hosting. We have a 10 year waiting list, we don't need the notoriety any longer we just want our club back. 

I am sorry that Austin is losing this event, but it was inevitable in it's current form. I am pretty sick of the membership getting blamed for it ending. We stepped up when Austin  needed us and have made it an amazing event. It has run it's course. The membership share of the blame for it ending is only a small factor. 

great insight  !!!

and thanks for inviting me out for a free day of golf !!!! So very generous of you 

• Haha 1

ACC membership is definitely over having a tour event. I don't believe Austin has another venue that could work. Maybe one of the Barton Creek courses.

It was fun to have though. Got to see all my favorite players tee it up, including Tiger one year. It was beautiful viewing on TV as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

ACC membership is definitely over having a tour event. I don't believe Austin has another venue that could work. Maybe one of the Barton Creek courses.

It was fun to have though. Got to see all my favorite players tee it up, including Tiger one year. It was beautiful viewing on TV as well.

They've played a lot of stuff at Barton Creek - just never an actual PGA event. I know the champions or senior tour had an event out there for awhile and they recently hosted the PGA professional championship and a women's event. 

I feel like one of the horseshoe bay courses could host - as well as Wolfdancer. But I'm not sure how well those places are set up for spectators. 

Yeah, I was thinking...and I'm a complete simpleton (on many things) with regards to pro golf...but a Horseshoe Bay course could facilitate this.  Yes, I realize it's far outta town but so are so many damn tour events.  Shit, the UT Golf Club at Steiner Ranch could put something together, complete with foursomes turning into threesomes after dark.  

I remember my uncle taking me and my cousins to Medinah CC years ago growing up.  And explaining what a big deal the US Open was (he is a huge golfer).  Yeah the course and club are fantastic but it's not that close to Chicago and it's a fucking armpit suburb with chain link fencing.  The PGA missing out on such a fast-growing and economically booming area is just puzzling to me, despite whatever shit is going with members and other Texas tour sponsors.  

It's like a college football bowl game.  It's not so much we need a bowl game here or a PGA event.  But you look at where other similar events are held and you just can't help but wonder, "Da fuH?"  

• Haha 1

HSB courses are overrated as fuck, outside Summit Rock. Ram Rock is fine but certainly not PGA tour level. Apple Rock might be one of my least favorite courses I've played more than once.

If you could figure out how to get people there, UT is a decent option. I've always thought that was a better course for the tour than ACC but logistics will be tough given how tucked into a neighborhood it is.

I think the issue with all of the above suggestions, UT included, is a lot of the open areas around holes are forest. Not a lot of areas to put up big grandstands like ACC has on the waterfront holes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

UT golf club would never work, just too many things going on out there. Horseshoe Bay is pretty far out there and the only course they have that would work is Ram, but again, it's kind of not a great set up for spectators. Then you have Ben's course, which the members would never be OK with and would also not work logistically.

Barton Creek, specifically Canyons, is probably the best choice, but even there i kinda don't see it happening. On top of it all, the WGC's are going away, so there is not a tournament to host anymore.

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

UT golf club would never work, just too many things going on out there. Horseshoe Bay is pretty far out there and the only course they have that would work is Ram, but again, it's kind of not a great set up for spectators. Then you have Ben's course, which the members would never be OK with and would also not work logistically.

Barton Creek, specifically Canyons, is probably the best choice, but even there i kinda don't see it happening. On top of it all, the WGC's are going away, so there is not a tournament to host anymore.

I think we just have to accept tour golf in Austin is done for quite a while. The city just doesn't have sensible options for the modern tour and ACC was always a bit of a stretch. Made it work while we could.

The forest thing makes sense.  But I just see, without giving fuck one, so many tour events at least 30-60 minutes from major airports and they still make it work.  And I get that you have to assuage members of courses but if they can make it work for one 500-pack of douchebags in a town, they can make it work another 500-pack of douchebags in a town.  What's so fucking special about our Austin guys in visors and patagonia vests that we can't play nice like every other PGA course?  

Again, I don't give fuck one.  I'm glad not to spare the time to entertain LP's out there but the donations to children's health care has been fucking incredible.  

20 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

I think we just have to accept tour golf in Austin is done for quite a while. The city just doesn't have sensible options for the modern tour and ACC was always a bit of a stretch. Made it work while we could.

Yep. If you wanna see a tour event, Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston will have to do. I was actually thinking of checking out the ladies major in the Woodlands next month. Could be pretty cool.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The forest thing makes sense.  But I just see, without giving fuck one, so many tour events at least 30-60 minutes from major airports and they still make it work.  And I get that you have to assuage members of courses but if they can make it work for one 500-pack of douchebags in a town, they can make it work another 500-pack of douchebags in a town.  What's so fucking special about our Austin guys in visors and patagonia vests that we can't play nice like every other PGA course? 

i think the number of golf courses that are willing to tell $1.5-2m in additional net revenue to fuck off is pretty small. 

11 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yep. If you wanna see a tour event, Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston will have to do. I was actually thinking of checking out the ladies major in the Woodlands next month. Could be pretty cool.

carlton woods is very nice 

I remember Falconhead touting that it was built to Tour specs (whatever that means) in hopes of getting an event one day.

As for UT Golf Club, can you imagine the traffic shitshow an event in Steiner would cause?!

Austin Golf Club could probably pull it off. Plenty of land for parking, tough course and presumably flexible membership since there’s only like 200 of them locally.

I believe Austin Golf Club is a Crenshaw course.  Supposed to be fantastic. 

It’s quite literally his course. I got to play it like 2010 or and he was putting in on #6 while we were teeing off right next to him on #1. /csb
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Lurch said:

It’s quite literally his course. I got to play it like 2010 or and he was putting in on #6 while we were teeing off right next to him on #1. /csb

Yes, I know a few members there and I understood Crenshaw has a significant relationship (ownership?) with the club.  Just not sure of the details and because he has a close relationship to the club I always assumed he designed the course.   Because Surly loves precision, Coore &  Crenshaw are the designers.  

. I am pretty sick of the membership getting blamed for it ending. We stepped up when Austin  needed us and have made it an amazing event. It has run it's course. The membership share of the blame for it ending is only a small factor. 

Blame? Hell, I wondered why you put up with it for so long. If anything the membership should be applauded for their benevolence.
  • Hook 'Em 1

https://nypost.com/2023/03/08/tiger-woods-tricked-ex-girlfriend-erica-herman-into-leaving-home-docs/

The court papers state that those working on behalf of Woods’ trust convinced Herman to “pack a suitcase for a short vacation and, when she arrived at the airport, they told her she had been locked out of her residence, in violation of the oral tenancy agreement and in violation of Florida law.”

Herman alleges that Woods paid for a “hotel room and certain expenses for a short period of time” — and “frightened her away from returning” to the property. 

Those working for Woods subsequently removed her personal belongings and took $40,000 in cash that belonged to her before making “scurrilous and defamatory allegations about how she obtained the money,” the court documents allege. 

In the landlord filing, Herman claimed the couple had an “oral agreement” that ensured she could live at the mansion for a total of 11 years — and she still had five years remaining when the golf star called it quits on their relationship. 

Based on the time left on her five-year tenancy, Herman argued in court papers that she was entitled to compensation of roughly $30 million. 

In an attempt to dismiss his ex-girlfriend’s complaint, Woods’ attorney fired back in court documents alleging Herman was the one who removed her belongings after the golf champ dumped her and told her “she was no longer welcome in the residence.” 

Tiger needs to spend a month or two at DiCaprio's "How to Fuck Hot Chicks Without the Trainwreck" summer camp.

• Haha 3

I don't really give a shit about Tiger's relationship drama with some gold digger. I mean if he actually did something violent then - yeah - that's a bad look. What's described above sounds about par for the course when it comes to being in a relationship with Tiger Woods. 

I take the assault implications with a grain of salt.  His man whoring has been well documented and there was never one implication of anything violent.  Yes, he was boring, cheap, had some kinks, but that was about it.

Sounds like she wants to write a book or something and talk about how her and Tiger liked to party.