2022-23 PGA Tour season

Wally Fairway

23 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I get it. Winning is always great but majors is what he’s playing for now and he hasn’t won one in 6 years and winning this wouldn’t change anything about his chances at the PGA. 

He’s in good form right now heading into the one he needs to complete the grand slam. Last 6 starts are 4-9-3-didn’t advance at match play-4-2.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I think he will try to come back in a year or two and just play the majors. No reason for Joey to wait around for that. 

Kinda sad that his best chance to be competitive (oh hell, I'll say it - to win) is at the Masters; but that is likely the hardest coarse for someone to walk.
It will be really sad when in 2035, or 2040? that he shows up to be the honorary starter; I think that once we lose Jack or Gary that Ben could step in, then Freddie (though he "only" won 1 green jacket. Even if he isn't playing people would love to see him hit a ceremonial shot - it will take a lot for Tiger to want to participate like that, but he will already be there for the champions dinner, so why not.

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Kinda sad that his best chance to be competitive (oh hell, I'll say it - to win) is at the Masters; but that is likely the hardest coarse for someone to walk.
It will be really sad when in 2035, or 2040? that he shows up to be the honorary starter; I think that once we lose Jack or Gary that Ben could step in, then Freddie (though he "only" won 1 green jacket. Even if he isn't playing people would love to see him hit a ceremonial shot - it will take a lot for Tiger to want to participate like that, but he will already be there for the champions dinner, so why not.

Jack hit his first ceremonial shot at 70 years old.  Tiger won't do it for a while, regardless if he retires because of injury.  Once Jack and Gary decide not to do it, it'll be Watson, then maybe Faldo, Ben, Jose Maria, Freddie.

they might throw in someone like Aaron, Floyd, Langer

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Jack hit his first ceremonial shot at 70 years old.  Tiger won't do it for a while, regardless if he retires because of injury.  Once Jack and Gary decide not to do it, it'll be Watson, then maybe Faldo, Ben, Jose Maria, Freddie.

they might throw in someone like Aaron, Floyd, Langer

Floyd is already 80, Aaron is 86 - I don't think they will do it; I am a big Freddie fan so maybe I'm overly optimistic. Maybe he will do it when I finally get tickets  - so that is just about never gonna happen. 
I liked that they had Lee Elder to it one year, maybe they find a way to let Trevino hit it one time. I wouldn't mind Watson and Ben, and a rotation of guys. I think Fred is going to keep playing until they hid his clubs.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Floyd is already 80, Aaron is 86 - I don't think they will do it; I am a big Freddie fan so maybe I'm overly optimistic. Maybe he will do it when I finally get tickets  - so that is just about never gonna happen. 
I liked that they had Lee Elder to it one year, maybe they find a way to let Trevino hit it one time. I wouldn't mind Watson and Ben, and a rotation of guys. I think Fred is going to keep playing until they hid his clubs.

Trevino isn't gonna do it.  Aaron played in the par 3 this year I think but I agree it is unlikely they would ask Floyd or Aaron.  Ben is a perfect guy to do it.  he's done playing and who doesn't like Ben?

the fact is that besides Faldo it is a pretty big drop off after Jack, Gary, and Tom for older guys who have won the masters and who have other major skins.

Some Rory quotes on Masters and the WD.

"It sucked. It sucked," McIlroy said in his first public comments since the Masters. "It’s not the performance I obviously thought I was going to put up. Nor was it the performance I wanted. Just incredibly disappointing. But I needed some time to regroup. And focus on what’s ahead."

"I think the last 12 months with everything that’s went on ... it’s been a big 12 months. I don’t know I fully, like, sat down to really reflect on stuff. I never really had a chance to think about the Open at St. Andrews (where he was the 54-hole co-leader and finished two back of winner Cam Smith) and everything that went on there.

"It was nice to have three weeks to just put all that stuff in the rearview mirror and focus on what’s ahead. Three more majors. The entire golf season still to play. It was a good three weeks to sort of do all that and get refreshed and get ready for the next few months."

This course is a fucking joke. They've ruined what used to be a great Texas Tour stop.

(Well, actually, it began in 2018 when they played it at Trinity Forest for a couple years)

Edited by ztejas

On 5/11/2023 at 1:38 PM, ztejas said:

This course is a fucking joke. They've ruined what used to be a great Texas Tour stop.

(Well, actually, it began in 2018 when they played it at Trinity Forest for a couple years)

The course has some really bad brown and bare spots on it.  At least it looks that way on the aerial shots on the telly-vision.

• Rage+1 1

former McKinney resident here.  Had no idea McKinney had a PGA tourney.  Craig Ranch was the 2nd or 3rd master planned community in McKinney.  When I arrived in McKinney in 1999 the population was about 34,000. When I left in 2018 the pop. was approaching 200,000.  Not bad for a town that once turned down Stonebriar Mall and every single gas station possible, because the city council was so concerned about only one thing, saving downtown McKinney.  Idiots. 

I would love to see Mike Block have another good/great week; but I think that is asking a lot. He had plenty of time to prep for the PGA, but now he will have more media duties, much larger expectations and no the same adrenaline rush that kept him juiced for the run at Oak Hill. 
Everything from last minute travel arrangements, hotel, cars, and packing clothes for Texas heat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/25/2023 at 6:35 PM, ztejas said:

"His story is just getting started"

Well, not really. Because he isn't good enough to play on Tour. 

Incredible run at the PGA, though. 

while this is true, he's probably never played these courses he is going to play.

that hole in one is gonna be the gift that keeps on giving.