Patagonia owners give away their company

52-80

12 minutes ago, otisdog said:

You buy/wear clothes based upon the 'street cred' that they give you? 

I live in south texas. It’s really only ever freezing cold in January & February. That’s it. There’s no reason to buy any expensive winter wear. My black hoodies from Ross and Walmart and Yankee beanies do the job more than ok. And I look like a badass wearing that walking around instead of like a vegan pussy mountaineer or wannabe douchebag finance bro wearing Patagonia. 

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

I live in south texas. It’s really only ever freezing cold in January & February. That’s it. There’s no reason to buy any expensive winter wear. My black hoodies from Ross and Walmart and Yankee beanies do the job more than ok. And I look like a badass wearing that walking around instead of like a vegan pussy mountaineer or wannabe douchebag finance bro wearing Patagonia. 

This makes sense except the Yankees beanie should be a Los Cowboys beanie.

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

No you don’t. You sound like a fucking loser. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Gonna fight Climate Change with Chinese slave labor selling products made 90+% from petroleum based products and shipping them on Diesel engine boats across the ocean.  How noble.   
Perhaps read his book, "Let my Peolple Go Surfing " and celebrate one company doing quite a bit better than most instead of spewing dumb shit?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

they offer repair services for their apparel.

they buy back garments and sell them as used on the website (obv cutting into incremental new turnover)

they also list directly every factory and farm used in their supply chain.  yes it includes in asia, but this level of transparency is available from no other clothing retailer.

if its all greenwashing, its the most elaborate and thorough greenwashing operation ive ever seen.  i dont necessary subscribe fully to their tenets, but i admire the ethos.

I use the repair services.  I’ve sold back gear. I’ve bought plenty of worn wear.  It’s great quality gear- always has been.  They have always walked the walk and that’s why it’s been my go-to for winter, summer, gear and clothes.  Probably more so now.  I applaud this move.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Jesus H. Christ

42 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ve gotten several compliments on my style throughout my life. Go ahead and take the L on this one champ.

Compliments from Vic, his cholas, and the tailored jersey crew from Jerry World don’t count. 

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

And I look like a badass wearing that walking around instead of like a vegan pussy mountaineer or wannabe douchebag finance bro wearing Patagonia. 

Half of this statement is correct, at least.  
They make solid stuff, but it’s has a solid to very solid bro following, that never use it for its intended purpose.   

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

That would actually cost you some for dressing broke. My point was I look way cooler in cheaper clothes from those places than anyone ever does in Patagonia. 

Nothing says cool like wearing a yankee beanie in Texas.  Personally, I’d rather look like a wannabe douchebag finance bro than a wannabe douchebag yankee bro. To each their own. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Also, will the hoodie from Walmart keep me warm on my next ski trip?

If living in Maine taught me one thing, it’s that looking cool in cheap cotton hoodies is way more important than weather resistant layers that manage to both insulate and breath at the same time.  Also, who cares that wet cotton is the quickest path to hypothermia?  I look gooooooood.

On a more serious note, I’m sorta at a loss on why they didn’t just sell Patagonia and give the money away, ala McKenzie Scott?  I mean, this feels overly complex and more than a bit vainglorious.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

On a more serious note, I’m sorta at a loss on why they didn’t just sell Patagonia and give the money away, ala McKenzie Scott?  I mean, this feels overly complex and more than a bit vainglorious.

if it's a profitable operation, the business will continue to generate additional income for the charity.  otherwise the liquidation is a one-time event and they'll "give away" the future income potential. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

if it's a profitable operation, the business will continue to generate additional income for the charity.  otherwise the liquidation is a one-time event and they'll "give away" the future income potential. 

And, likely lose the ability to control the "ethics" of the company.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s awesome stuff that nobody living in Texas needs to be spending money on unless they travel to cold weather climate frequently. 

Yep.  They, and other stores like REI, arcteryx, Marmot, etc laid the foundation for the explosion of "technical" hunting gear like Sitka, Kuiu, FirstLite, etc.  Ultra-lightweight hunting systems that are durable and keep you dry in the mountains.

Or in Texas, let you look cool sitting in an insulated deer blind 60yds from a corn feeder. 

• Haha 2

Wranglers, Walmart, Fat Asses, people whose only idea of a vacation is to drive 3 hours to a shitty beach in Texas, non-outdoorsy people, the entire SEC, and poor people are not Patagonia's market. 

I always ask myself what kind of world do we want to leave our kids and their kids. This guy is trying to do something about it. Love it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Wranglers, Walmart, Fat Asses, people whose only idea of a vacation is to drive 3 hours to a shitty beach in Texas, non-outdoorsy people, the entire SEC, and poor people are not Patagonia's market. 

I always ask myself what kind of world do we want to leave our kids and their kids. This guy is trying to do something about it. Love it.

Techies and urban Subaru drivers are their target market. Ranchers, lumberjacks and Park Rangers are not their target market.

6 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Hardly a day goes by in winter that I don’t wear my nano puff jacket.  It was a little pricey but I’ve had it at least 7 or 8 years now.  The lightest, most comfortable thing ever for mild winters in Texas or real winters elsewhere with another layer.  The weight to warmth ratio is perfect.  I’ve mountain biked with it on frosty days, snowboarded in it with another layer, banged girls that told me they were tired of guys who wear hoodies from Ross in it, sat on cold bleachers with it for kids sports, but mostly it’s just always kept wadded up on the backseat ready for whatever.   Probably have more days wearing it than any other piece of clothing I’ve owned. 

Truth.  My nano puffs are my favorites by far.  You ought to be issued one at birth.

• Hook 'Em 1

i've literally been wearing their stuff for over half a century. Their Stand-up  shorts were the only pants that would last more than a couple of weeks climbing the granite walls of Yosemite valley. I went into a serious funk when they decided to end their production, even though I had quit climbing years earlier due to a fall. All of their gear has been functional but they, as well as other companies such as Filson, have leaned more towards expanding their general clothing line as opposed to hard core outdoor gear.  I must be really cool, I've got closets of their stuff.

Edited by otisdog

3 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

If living in Maine taught me one thing, it’s that looking cool in cheap cotton hoodies is way more important than weather resistant layers that manage to both insulate and breath at the same time.  Also, who cares that wet cotton is the quickest path to hypothermia?  I look gooooooood.

Yea after spending a few months from the last few winters in Alaska I learned idgaf how it looks honestly just keep me fucking warm. 

The patagonia bros at my office are huge fucking dorks though

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Yea after spending a few months from the last few winters in Alaska I learned idgaf how it looks honestly just keep me fucking warm. 

Wearing Patagonia vests in the office is cringe. And I’m a total Patagonia homer. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Buncha surly women label shaming and judging people’s clothing choices. 

It's a full on display of lower-upper-middle class elitism. People flexing about their Patagonia and their annual ski trip.

b56e8e512da85d6bb21dff42f8f38e5c.jpg

Edited by F250
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Gonna fight Climate Change with Chinese slave labor selling products made 90+% from petroleum based products and shipping them on Diesel engine boats across the ocean.  How noble.   

Celery Man had it right even if he didn’t connect the dots directly. This response is basically just this meme

E2CF3877-9751-4936-89AE-3609CD54AB2B.thumb.png.cb8d4e40cc8e2e3d5111f62876484ce0.png

16 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Edited by Pig Bellmont
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

i need to understand why an unusually tall mexican is hanging out in alaska for a a few months of each winter every year.

also, when you tasteless know-nothings are ready to step up your "chad" clothing and sprezzatura game, you can join me in only wearing brunello cucinelli.

Edited by sidis

15 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Patagonia’s general spiel on “ah you participate in society yet are trying to improve it somewhat”

https://www.patagonia.com/stories/patagonia-clothing-made-where-how-why/story-18467.html

20 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Celery Man had it right even if he didn’t connect the dots directly. This response is basically just this meme

E2CF3877-9751-4936-89AE-3609CD54AB2B.thumb.png.cb8d4e40cc8e2e3d5111f62876484ce0.png

If it wasn’t clear, that was a direct reference to that meme

• Hook 'Em 2