Beefy Rail Strike

Degenerate Gardner

Truman faced a similar situation shortly after the end of WWII, though not nearly as close to elections, obv. But I draw the comparison because the strike (which did happen) destroyed public opinion of him and the Democrats, but after he helped broker the deal, the turnaround pushed his support to higher levels than it had previously been. And the jump happened extremely fast.

Edited by trauma babe
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Truman faced a similar situation shortly after the end of WWII, though not nearly as close to elections, obv. But I draw the comparison because the strike (which did happen) destroyed public opinion of him and the Democrats, but after he helped broker the deal, the turnaround pushed his support to higher levels than it had previously been. And the jump happened extremely fast.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youngstown_Sheet_%26_Tube_Co._v._Sawyer

The Steel Seizure Case is the case you were referring to. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GopherRock said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youngstown_Sheet_%26_Tube_Co._v._Sawyer

The Steel Seizure Case is the case you were referring to. 

No, I am referring to this time period, during Truman's first term, right after WWII like I said.

Strike wave of 1945-1946

Edited by trauma babe
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

I cut my teeth, in part, running drayage and multi-modal last mile in Chicago.  

But I'lll be goddamned if I'm gonna go to sleep tonight without a revolution.  If we don't rename the "Burnt Ends" meat-referencing tailgate to "Beefy Rail Strike"...I'll cut a bitch.  God bless y'all.  Steak your Ends and State your Purpose.  Somehow this will all come back to trains and Hunter biden's laptop.  Just watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I cut my teeth, in part, running drayage and multi-modal last mile in Chicago.  

But I'lll be goddamned if I'm gonna go to sleep tonight without a revolution.  If we don't rename the "Burnt Ends" meat-referencing tailgate to "Beefy Rail Strike"...I'll cut a bitch.  God bless y'all.  Steak your Ends and State your Purpose.  Somehow this will all come back to trains and Hunter biden's laptop.  Just watch.

Not every comedic thought has to be a post.

Less can be more....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

They don’t want you just dead. They also want you to suffer. They don’t want the camps hidden in the countryside of Poland. They want them next to be next to Disney World so they can take the tours and show the kids the libtards getting off the trains while giggling and talking about Jesus.

Whew, I hope they ink this thing completely before lunch.  This woulda been horrible for supply chain issues and the midterms.  Well done, Brandon.  

I'm sure McCarthy, et. al. will still find a way to shit all over it.  Kinda morbidly curious as to see how.

In 2022 workers had to threaten to strike in order to take time off for medical emergencies without getting punished or fired.

Their work rules are North Korean by U.S. airline standards. They're on short call ( be here in 2 hours) 24/7. They essentially get 20 hard days off a year during vacation. The sticking point for this tentative agreement was 15 UNPAID sick days a year. I guess they're so beaten down they're asking for UNPAID sick time for some fucking reason.
  • Drool 1

This country could use a strike wave

Wife and I were just saying last night that a rail strike would suck, but if these guys are having to strike over unpaid medical leave, maybe this country needs to suffer until it comes to its senses.

Glad it seems to have been worked out. We’ll see what the deal looks like, but it seems like the Biden administration may have been pretty effective in stepping in to break the impasse.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fox News and the repubs are just shitty miserable people. I truly believe that if Trump was in office with repubs in congress that people here wouldn’t be rooting for a rail strike.

The ramifications of a strike are so so bad. Inflation off the rails, gas prices spiked, goods not getting to where they need to go. People would have been really hurt by this in so many ways and the GOP doesn’t give a shit. 

• Rage+1 2

Honestly, anyone who thought the Biden admin, one of the most pro-labor/union administrations in the last 100 years, wouldn't get this deal done is insane.

It's 1.5 months before midterms, so it became priority #1 for the admin
You have a former union president serving as Labor Secretary and a pro-union former mayor serving as Transportation Secretary
The fucking POTUS is Amtrak Joe, who loves rail more than just about anyone.  Amtrak cancelling all those trips cut him deep, you know it

Like come on.  It was going to get done. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, trauma babe said:

No, I am referring to this time period, during Truman's first term, right after WWII like I said.

Strike wave of 1945-1946

My mistake. I didn't know about those strikes. Thanks for the info.

6 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I truly believe that if Trump was in office with repubs in congress that people here wouldn’t be rooting for a rail strike.

If this negotiation had happened when Trump and the Repubs been in office, they would have imposed a contract that was even worse than the old one. Suffering is the point.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

My mistake. I didn't know about those strikes. Thanks for the info.

If this negotiation had happened when Trump and the Repubs been in office, they would have imposed a contract that was even worse than the old one. Suffering is the point.

I understand that, but for the good of the country. We needed the deal to get done. The work these fine people do is just too important.

11 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Shit’s getting real. AMTRAK cancels trips. Hundreds impacted.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/09/14/amtrak-passenger-rail-strike/

Magats going to have to drag out the caravans, Hunter's laptop and HIllary's emails bullshit since Dark Brandon is fixing everything that breaks.

Kicking ass, taking names.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Nah, they would have just fired them all, like Reagan did to the air traffic controllers. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I truly believe that if Trump was in office with repubs in congress that people here wouldn’t be rooting for a rail strike.

As I reread the quote, I now see that you likely mean "people here" being Trumpist posters.

I was going to point out that people here supporting the strikers aren't rooting for a strike. They're rooting for a fair deal for working people being denied common benefits by a new generation of robber barons.

Thanks to all for the education on this issue and a few looks at history. Trauma Babe knows whereof she speaks.

Pudding?  Seriously Fox?  

Any other news outlet in the world, this happens in the production meeting...

"Alright, they got the deal done.  Scrub all the shit about economy, supply chain, administrative failure from the teleprompter.  Who has a different angle on this story?"

"Uh, we could talk about the quality of the pudding on Amtrak trains and crappy they are."

"Pudding?  You're fired."

But nope, whoever suggested that at FoxNews this morning is likely gonna get their own primetime show later this year.

Puddin' Pop Joe, it'll be on t-shirts by next week's rally.  

Well I mean the pudding spokesman was a black serial rapist, so Joe and the pizzaparlorgate sex trafficking ring are guilty by association.  

What's also amazing, that's completely lost on the Fox crowd, is not only did they get it done and both sides walked away relatively happy, is that it was done pretty fucking quickly.  I mean, yeah long night and all but most transportation guys I know (and part of our business is multi-modal) thought it was at least go on until the weekend, maybe longer.  

I'm sure the trains are running again because they hid Hunter's laptop in one of the cars and gotta get it out to the West Coast to Gavin.

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The right ain't going to give Biden an ounce of credit but it's still a huge win for Biden to avoid the problem in the first place.

I imagine there are many disappointed people today that a strike didn't occur.

Why would you call out the 6th Street Journal posters like that? 

csb. About 20 years ago I worked for a O&G dept that managed rail contracts and shipping. We took a tour of a Union Pacific railyard. We spoke with a handful of employees. I left thankful for an office job that only required 40 hrs per week.

I also recall the feeling that the employees were effectively stuck or they felt that way. They're in an industry with few employers, and for many of the employees, they don't have easily transferrable skills or training.

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

I understand that, but for the good of the country. We needed the deal to get done. The work these fine people do is just too important.

Oh, I fully agree on the need to get the deal done. But given the Republican reputation for somehow finding the worst possible outcome, they would have found whatever the worst possible outcome is for the workers while keeping the trains moving.

I work in this industry. The railroads, especially BNSF, have been uber assholes to workers rights especially as it relates to time off. Getting vacation days approved took an act of God and even then you could be "on call" when you are on vacation. Naturally this is going over like a fart in church.

With that said, the last few years have not been kind to the railroads. Manufacturing and supply chain have taken a huge hit, no shit. There's less shit to be moved. Revenue is way down. The railroads have been employing extreme cost cutting to stay in the black. I think being onerous to workers was a way to get employees to quit so that they don't have to pay benefits associated with layoffs. 

Capitalism is good and bad. 

Good for Biden to step in to possibly avert a strike. Amtrak is the least of the concerns if there was a strike. If UP and BNSF unions strike, the econ comes to a halt. Inflation would be even worse.

Edited by crash_davis

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Don't worry, look directly below it:

image.thumb.png.8b1f49851fcb070e07e296499451a835.png

Timely fiscal conservatism only when a Dem is in office. Who wants to remind those fucksticks of Trumps budgets and his deficits and how there was nary a squeak from his asshole gallery.

Edited by crash_davis