Railroad strike

FartingMonk

46 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

If this happens how much more shit is the supply chain in?

Yes.

And your link is borked.  Lemme help you out, Brother: 

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/14/1122918098/railroads-freight-rail-union-strike-train-workers

They're tired of unpredictable, inflexible work schedules. They're tired of being penalized for taking days off when they're sick or tending to a family emergency. They want a better quality of life.

Now, they're making their voices heard, threatening a strike that could bring trains to a halt nationwide on Friday.

Freight railroads and the unions representing more than 100,000 rail workers have been negotiating a contract for several years. The stakes are high and a presidential emergency board appointed by President Biden recommended a compromise over the summer that would give workers a 24% increase in wages. Both sides — the unions and the railroad companies — have essentially agreed to the board's economic proposals.

But there remains one major sticking point that could derail all of it: a workplace attendance policy that the unions call draconian.

How about they stop parking a fucking train across the highway at 445 pm for 30 minutes and screwing up rush hour commute?  Maybe I’ll give a shit about their poor working conditions when they don’t act like commute terrorists. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

How about they stop parking a fucking train across the highway at 445 pm for 30 minutes and screwing up rush hour commute?  Maybe I’ll give a shit about their poor working conditions when they don’t act like commute terrorists. 

You must be a poor.  They only do that to poor people 

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

I bet that just started in the last 18 months, right?  Before that the tracks were just strippers covered in glitter?  

The train crossings in Texas, I'll give you this, are comically bad.  Like we didn't have any time to prepare since 1845 for the advent of the locomotive.  We are really fucking bad at transportation as a state, doubly more disturbing since we're apparently one of your larger states after Alaska and Vermont.  

4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

My kingdom for overpasses on Shepherd and Durham over the train tracks just north of Washington.

Truer words have never been spoken. Nothing like going to work/home and knowing that you have a 5 minute cushion and then you see the RR arms drop in front of you. you're screwed.

23 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Train tracks cut across major roads in Houston without an over/under pass. Rush hours is a favorite time for freight to cross Houston.

many many tracks in my minority neighborhood. it might be a 3 min or 30 min wait. you learn quickly the routes to avoid those delays

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Pretty crazy that the rail companies are willing to face it a billion in lost revenue A DAY just to avoid treating their workers like human beings instead of numbers. Seems like poor long term management decision making to me

Sounds like American capitalism to me 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 1 month later...

Unsurprising ending to the story of strangling the railwork worker strike and denying them sick leave:

Union Pacific posts record earnings, spends more on share repurchases than on its employees

We just can't expect a company to be able to survive without enriching its shareholders through stock repurchases! Those damn lazy sick employees just need to get their bootstraps on

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1