Roadkill vs trampling longhorns LHN 7 PM

immamac

Getting around to watching the full game.

The defense was not as bad as the posts in the moment made it sound. UTSA executed well on the first couple drives, including scripted plays, and made a couple effort plays that I think caught Texas flat. But Texas was at least decent with regard to tackling and stopping the run. Then they hit on an onside kick and a trick play. So it goes. Although yikes for Watts individually on that one.

And that’s about it for UTSA scoring. It wasn’t particularly good defense to start the game, but it wasn’t atrocious and they found an extra gear. Can live with that. In fact, I’d say we’ve seen enough over three games to be reasonably confident in Texas’s run defense, which is an enormous improvement over last season.

The run blocking, however, was absolutely as bad as message board stream of consciousness made it sound. Anyone saying Bijan is overrated as an idiot because gaining any positive yardage behind this line is an accomplishment. Cole Hutson was just atrocious. I think he may be hitting the freshman conditioning wall. He doesn’t look confused, he just looks woefully slow. UTSA’s run defense eventually wears down in the second half, likely from some combo of being on the field, lack of DL depth, and Texas’s RBs just being a problem. Like the defense, I think we’ve seen enough over three games to know Texas has a shitty run blocking OL.

Card was meh. He mostly wasn’t a problem, but when asked to throw downfield he again showed he can’t do it. Almost got RoJo killed on a badly missed swing pass. Liked the long run, obviously, and not turning it over - I don’t even recall anything that should have been picked - is obviously good.

The defense is going to have to carry this team until Ewers comes back and opens up the downfield passing game, because the offense is in trouble against better defenses than UTSA (aka most of conference play) as long as they can neither create any room to run or stretch the field in the passing game.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

Bill's boxscores have gotten better over the years.  Interesting disparity between success rate and YPP in this game - shows it was won on the margins on a handful of big plays.

FdCl747XwAE-UJO?format=jpg&name=4096x409

You posted a box score showing we had a 99.8% post game win expectancy and your take away is that it was a game won on the margins.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Just to stir some shit up... 

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/odds-movement/ats/results/

Teamrankings.com has historical line movement dating back to 2008 season.  11,583 games.  Largest movement from opening to close was 8 points which happened only 14 times.  

This would miss a scenario where a star was injured in the previous game as that injury is presumably baked into opening line of following week.  So dating back to 2008, there hasn't been an instance of a player being unexpectedly unavailable after opening lines were published that resulted in more than an 8 point swing.

GIF by Giphy QA

18 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This was my favorite play from Worthy all night.  Kid is a baller that plays hard every play.  Watch how far he comes from to run down the play and get a block (well a screen really) to ensure Robinson makes it into the endzone.  #4 from UTSA looks like he would have caught Bijan from behind if not for Worthy.  

** Warning Lowell Galindo making the call so please mute if you don't want to hear him butcher Bijan's name **

17 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Wait did he call Bijan by the wrong name? Amazing. My standards are so low and Galindo still fails to meet them.

Bijan Johnson!! Jesus Lowell how do you fuck that up?.... I used to call play-by-play over radio for high school games in college. My color analyst and I could lap circles around Lowell. 

5 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Didn't see this posted but lost all respect for Traylor here being a passive aggressive puto

Waaah!

Dude is small potatoes just like Herman should’ve stayed when he was at UH. Traylor’s “210” SA fake bravado pride shtick is almost a mirror image of Herman’s H-Town Takeover culture.

Honestly, a place like UTSA is perfect for both of them apparently. Please stay far away from UT Austin.