Nancy Pelosi is a badass MF and I want her to be Speaker

Hugo Stiglitz

So is the theory that the gay lover, who hit Pelosi in the head with a hammer after breaking in to his home at 2 am, also lied to the cops about this? He made up a story about wanting to break Nancy Pelosi's kneecaps, and breaking through a glass door in the middle of the night? Because, reasons?

• Like 2

It’s a shiny ball thrown by bad actors to distract the media and public from the awful the truth of the attack. Republican terrorists are willing to do or say anything to reach their ends or save their skins. I’m sure there’s a perfectly apt one-word Russian descriptor for the disinformation tactic but I was a Spanish minor so no se.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Like 1

What’s strange is that all these idiot Republicans making wisecracks about sending Nancy packing don’t seem to realize that she won re-election. If they take back the House it just means she loses her Speakership, not her seat. She goes right back to where she was when Paul Ryan was Speaker. Sure, she’s in the twilight of her career and I don’t know if she’ll ever run again. But their deep and undivided hatred of her I think is a testament to how good of a job she’s done. They wouldn’t hate her so much if she weren’t effective.

Making fun of her husband being assaulted by a Trump supporter and receiving life-threatening injuries, though, is just a testament to how low they’ve sunk as a party. The cruelty really is the point. They delight in it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

If Pelosi loses the gavel, I wonder if she'll stop down from leadership, at least officially, and push forward a successor. Someone else mentioned Hakeem Jeffries. No clue who that would be, but her basically transferring power if she isn't going to run again, while still being able to influence and advise, would be a stark difference between the two parties as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If Pelosi loses the gavel, I wonder if she'll stop down from leadership, at least officially, and push forward a successor. Someone else mentioned Hakeem Jeffries. No clue who that would be, but her basically transferring power if she isn't going to run again, while still being able to influence and advise, would be a stark difference between the two parties as well. 

I do think she will, or stay on in an advisory role.  I think it's her last go-around regardless. 

Either Hakeem Jeffries or Katherine Clark are the most likely successors.  Jeffries is the Caucus Chairman and Clark is Assistant Speaker (which was Ben Ray Lujan, who was seen as the likely successor until he moved to the Senate). 

Pelosi, Hoyer and Clyburn all need to move into leadership emeritus positions and let Jeffries, Clark and Neguse take over the day-to-day stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I do think she will, or stay on in an advisory role.  I think it's her last go-around regardless. 

Either Hakeem Jeffries or Katherine Clark are the most likely successors.  Jeffries is the Caucus Chairman and Clark is Assistant Speaker (which was Ben Ray Lujan, who was seen as the likely successor until he moved to the Senate). 

Pelosi, Hoyer and Clyburn all need to move into leadership emeritus positions and let Jeffries, Clark and Neguse take over the day-to-day stuff. 

Katie Porter needs a roll. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

*role

And Katie Porter needs to preparing for her 2024 Senate run when DiFi retires. 

Gracias. Been a busy morning. 

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

*role

In CA, does a governor pick a temporary replacement or is there an immediate election?

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Gracias. Been a busy morning. 

In CA, does a governor pick a temporary replacement or is there an immediate election?

DiFi's term is up in 2024, so I do not expect her to announce for re-election, so it would be an open seat.

If she steps down before then (or dies), Newsom replaces her with an appointment and they run in 2024 for a 6 year term.

As of November 5, she became the longest serving woman in Senate history.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

*role

That’s an interesting issue. I’d expect there to be a push for someone from Northern California, the historical source of political power in the state. Otherwise you’d have two southern Californians for the first time in decades. There’s Barbara Lee (old) and London Breed (prob going to prison) who fit Newsom’s pledge for a black woman. Otherwise IDK who is strong enough. Ro Khanna? I’m looking for Scott Wiener to run for Nancy’s seat if she retires. 

37 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

That’s an interesting issue. I’d expect there to be a push for someone from Northern California, the historical source of political power in the state. Otherwise you’d have two southern Californians for the first time in decades. There’s Barbara Lee (old) and London Breed (prob going to prison) who fit Newsom’s pledge for a black woman. Otherwise IDK who is strong enough. Ro Khanna? I’m looking for Scott Wiener to run for Nancy’s seat if she retires. 

Well DiFi is up in 2024, so it would be an open primary if she retires and is not up to Newsom. His pledge for a black woman is if DiFi cannot finish her term and has to be replaced by an appointment.  He has no control if DiFi just doesn't run for re-election. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well DiFi is up in 2024, so it would be an open primary if she retires and is not up to Newsom. His pledge for a black woman is if DiFi cannot finish her term and has to be replaced by an appointment.  He has no control if DiFi just doesn't run for re-election. 

I am aware. I’ve really just assumed she wouldn’t last until then. My point was that her succession will raise the NorCal/SoCal dynamic, which hasn’t been a Senate issue for decades. I like Katie Porter but I will only vote for someone from the Bay. 

6 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

I am aware. I’ve really just assumed she wouldn’t last until then. My point was that her succession will raise the NorCal/SoCal dynamic, which hasn’t been a Senate issue for decades. I like Katie Porter but I will only vote for someone from the Bay. 

maybe they should appoint some fruit vendor in Fresno as a compromise

On 11/10/2022 at 12:25 PM, We’reTexas said:

why? (honest question...I know shit about internal California politics)

On 11/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, Macanudo said:

Watching McCarthy revel in the idea that he gets the gavel from her is like being in back in high school when guys would brag about the hand job they may or may not have gotten from their girlfriend in Canada.  It's so juvenile.

It will be pretty funny watching his reaction if the GOP House members decide they want someone else to be Speaker. 

27 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

why? (honest question...I know shit about internal California politics)

The regions are just two very distinct political machines and it’s nice to have regional representation. For example, housing is an issue for all of California but IMO SoCal doesn’t take it seriously as the Bay does; it’s been super helpful to have Gavin Newsom get directly involved in SF housing battles and we wouldn’t have that progress if, say, Garcetti were governor. Likewise, it was helpful for LA to have Padilla throw his weight around to help resolve the Nury Martinez & co. debacle. DiFi didn’t give a shit. 

11 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

The regions are just two very distinct political machines and it’s nice to have regional representation. For example, housing is an issue for all of California but IMO SoCal doesn’t take it seriously as the Bay does; it’s been super helpful to have Gavin Newsom get directly involved in SF housing battles and we wouldn’t have that progress if, say, Garcetti were governor. Likewise, it was helpful for LA to have Padilla throw his weight around to help resolve the Nury Martinez & co. debacle. DiFi didn’t give a shit. 

I am a California native aware of the NorCal/SoCal social divide and I think this is a little nutso.

39 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

I am a California native aware of the NorCal/SoCal social divide and I think this is a little nutso.

I wasn’t referring to the social divide, but rather the dynamic of Bay Area over-representation in statewide offices due to lower voter participation in Southern California. I didn’t mean to overstate it, but it’s nice, particularly when folks from the SF machine are in office. There’s a reason HCD directed its first probe at SF. Hell, Newsom killed SF’s $1.7M public toilet. I’ve always taken DiFi’s influence for granted, just think it’ll be interesting how that void is filled. 

1 hour ago, We’reTexas said:

I wasn’t referring to the social divide, but rather the dynamic of Bay Area over-representation in statewide offices due to lower voter participation in Southern California. I didn’t mean to overstate it, but it’s nice, particularly when folks from the SF machine are in office. There’s a reason HCD directed its first probe at SF. Hell, Newsom killed SF’s $1.7M public toilet. I’ve always taken DiFi’s influence for granted, just think it’ll be interesting how that void is filled. 

Gotcha. The Bay Area is also more liberal than anywhere in So Cal so it would make sense they would have a deep Democratic bench.

Out of curiosity, do you have any critiques of Padilla so far, or of his career at the state level?

5 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

Gotcha. The Bay Area is also more liberal than anywhere in So Cal so it would make sense they would have a deep Democratic bench.

Out of curiosity, do you have any critiques of Padilla so far, or of his career at the state level?

I fucking love Alex Padilla. Dude has (knock on wood) been a diligent public servant in environments that encourage corruption, and as a Latino I’m admittedly biased to say I’m super proud of his accomplishments. It may be minor, but his intervention in the Martinez scandal was very impressive to me as it shows he’s asserting leadership in the CA Democratic Party. He has my vote. I have absolutely nothing against Southern California non-MAGA politics, I just think it would be wild to flip Senate representation after most of my life has been DiFi (SF), Babs (Marin) and Kamala (SF…ish). 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

I have absolutely nothing against Southern California non-MAGA politics, I just think it would be wild to flip Senate representation after most of my life has been D

IF, big if, DiFi doesn’t step down before 2024, that primary is going to be insane. Anyone and everyone in California wants that seat.  Considering CA’s Senator tenures lately, it’s pretty much yours once you win it until you don’t want it anymore/go for higher office. 

If DiFi can’t make it, whoever gets the nod from Newsome is the heavy favorite in 2024 to hold it for life 

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hoyer also stepping down from leadership.

Youth movement incoming! 

You nailed it up thread.

“For me the hour's come for a new generation to lead the democratic caucus that I so deeply respect. And I am grateful that so many are ready and willing to shoulder this awesome responsibility,” Pelosi said.

“A new day is dawning on the horizon,” Pelosi says.

Off to the side as Pelosi continues embracing lawmakers, you can see Representatives Hakeem Jeffries of New York, widely viewed as the next Democratic leader, and Katherine Clark of Massachusetts, the likely candidate for the No. 2 position, quietly conferring with colleagues.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's Happening.

But before it happens, let's take a moment to acknowledge that Nancy Pelosi has been the most effective party leader since Sam Rayburn.  And without her, we wouldn't have gotten through the Affordable Care Act, the Infrastructure Bill, or any other Democratic priority that has been done over the past 15 years.

ACA, BIB, IRA, ARRA, ARP. 

Without a doubt, one of the most effective speakers, wrangling very diverse caucuses under 4 different presidents. 

She deserves her farewell tour in 2023/2024 and then ride off into retirement. 

5 minutes ago, swraith said:

I don't know anything about Hakeem Jeffries.  I looked at his Wikipedia page.  Why is it bad that he is the replacement leader?

His comments last year about the "extreme left" were in pretty poor taste.  Specifically Eric Adams beating Maya Wiley, Troy Carter beating Karen Carter Peterson and Shontel Brown beating Nina Turner. 

I mean, Pelosi also shit talked The Squad's politics, but there's a bit of tension with AOC's wing of the party.  And it's growing and Jeffries has to manage The Squad gaining 2 new members - Summer Lee and Greg Casar. And maybe Becca Balint, Maxwell Frost and Delia Ramirez.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Jeffries is a corporate Dem that formed a PAC with Josh Gottheimer (fuck him) to oppose progressive candidates and is tight with the Cuomo party machine that handed the GOP the majority. I hope his relative youth gives him a better understanding of the Republican party he's up against, but he may end up spending more time punching left against his base than Nancy did.

• Hook 'Em 1