Nancy Pelosi is a badass MF and I want her to be Speaker

Hugo Stiglitz

On 12/25/2022 at 6:32 PM, Ghost of LL said:

George W Bush is fundamentally a good man. He made mistakes. Most men do. Perhaps his errors outweigh his deeds. History will be the judge of that.

But I do think he is a good man.

If he truly made fun of Karla Faye Tucker I couldn’t call him a good man. He does not seem particularly intelligent. He is certainly not a circumspect man; in fact I would call him rash and gullible. 

His reaction time is exceptional though. 

image.gif.7aa975b8f19a9e2f68ccf2768a2f853c.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

Don't want this to get overlooked due to a copy/paste error. We should also be calling out our own on this board who were making light of it. One of whom, however, has been banned repeatedly but his newest sock hasn't yet been revealed as of yet.

FnhD8s4WQAEN8fw?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

• 7 months later...

A two year term and she’s not even leadership anymore. What’s the big deal? She’s not running for Senate to serve until she’s 90

Theres a very very good chance Dems win back the House and I’m sure Jeffries would be happy to have Nancy helping him during his first term as Speaker. It’s different than just being minority leader. Just ask Kevin how much harder it is to govern than just hold together your caucus in opposition 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Why can't these dinosaurs go to the fucking house!?

Towards the end of that article, "One of the state’s long-serving leaders, Democratic Sen. Diane Feinstein, 90, has announced she would not seek another term."

How brave of her. Having the guts to step away when she's only a measly NINETY years old.

At least we only need these fossils to approve something that would put an age limit on themselves in order to change things. I'm sure they'll get right on that.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, it's a vote she'll get.  I'm all for it.  What bothers me more is the RBG power play that failed, and SCOTUS is fucked for the foreseeable future.

I disagree.  I think these older politicians who have been in office for decades have lost touch with the common man and have no business making policy decisions that effect the rest of us.

Being in politics was never meant to be a career.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Royal We said:

At least we only need these fossils to approve something that would put an age limit on themselves in order to change things. I'm sure they'll get right on that.

I can remember Ted Cruz talking about how term limits are needed, believe he said two, but when he was called out about it after announcing he'd run for another term, he shrugged and said "well we can't get it to pass, or we'd have to grandfather people".  Shut the fuck up Ted, you were just throwing some bullshit out to make some MAGA idiot happy.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I can remember Ted Cruz talking about how term limits are needed, believe he said two, but when he was called out about it after announcing he'd run for another term, he shrugged and said "well we can't get it to pass, or we'd have to grandfather people".  Shut the fuck up Ted, you were just throwing some bullshit out to make some MAGA idiot happy.

"I mean if there's no rule in place I have to run again, I couldn't possibly step aside voluntarily." - Cancun Ted

Fuck the lot of them

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

A two year term and she’s not even leadership anymore. What’s the big deal? She’s not running for Senate to serve until she’s 90

Theres a very very good chance Dems win back the House and I’m sure Jeffries would be happy to have Nancy helping him during his first term as Speaker. It’s different than just being minority leader. Just ask Kevin how much harder it is to govern than just hold together your caucus in opposition 

Fuck her

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Yes.  The founders wanted to avoid the permanent political class they left behind in England.  Didn't work

If only there was some way the founders could have spelled this out and prevented the formation of a permanent political class…  maybe written it down in some type of document??  Oh well, maybe next time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

The SFO citizens have got to be tired of this too. Can't some D primary her?

Lol no, of course not - she is the matriarch of the party. My boy Scott Weiner is the most likely successor; he formed an exploratory committee but I have to think he’ll wait his turn. Which is a shame, because 1) he’s been the most prominent politician on housing issues in Sacramento as this issue has ascended to national attention and 2) he’s in his 50’s and still at the kids table. These boomers need to fuck off. 

Also, tell me this isn’t the San Francisco politician the people want. 
image.thumb.jpeg.5f096e7773af36728fd9f6939aa52453.jpeg

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It’s not like her district is going to go red if she doesn’t run. It’s possibly the safest blue seat in the country. Just endorse one of her daughters and retire. She can still advise Jeffries from the beach earning 20%. 

First of all fuck that, we're not fucking England they have no birthright claim to that seat.

If she's 90 how old is her daughter 70?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

If only there was some way the founders could have spelled this out and prevented the formation of a permanent political class…  maybe written it down in some type of document??  Oh well, maybe next time.

Um, have you read the constitution?  They coulda been clearer on a lot of shit.

If it were clear you wouldn't have constitutional scholars arguing about what the founders meant.  

Clearly they assumed the best of people, which we're learning now, was a mistake.  But read their writings and it's clear.

"A government by representatives, elected by the people at short periods was our object, and our maxim at that day was ‘where annual election ends, tyranny begins.’" – Thomas Jefferson to Samuel Adams, Feb. 26, 1800 

"The second feature I dislike, and greatly dislike, is the abandonment in every instance of the necessity of rotation in office, and most particularly in the case of the President." –  Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787. 

Edited by DixonHur
typo

She is running to represent a district.  If the people of that district don't want her to represent them, then they can vote for someone else.  If the people of that district want her to represent them, then they can vote for her.  The people in her district know her age.  That is how democracy works.

I understand folks here want to set limitations on our democracy and be able to control who the people in that district are able to vote for.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, DixonHur said:

If it were clear you wouldn't have constitutional scholars arguing about what the founders meant

Point of parliamentary procedure 

It doesn’t matter if they wrote a dissertation about what they meant. Humans will disagree on the meaning of word “is” if it supports their argument. That’s why we have lawyers. To settle differences without an axe and gun. 

3 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

She is running to represent a district.  If the people of that district don't want her to represent them, then they can vote for someone else.  If the people of that district want her to represent them, then they can vote for her.  The people in her district know her age.  That is how democracy works.

I understand folks here want to set limitations on our democracy and be able to control who the people in that district are able to vote for.  

This. 99% of this board are not represented by Nancy Pelosi. If her constituents like her and want to re-elect her at 81, so be it. Again, she’s not in leadership. She’s not going to wrestle the gavel away from Jeffries if the Dems retake the House. 

18 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ok, so grandfather them in.  If they are already old, it will take care of itself soon enough. If they are younger and we are grandfathering in any current congresspeople, most of them will eventually move on or lose.  Get the law on the books if you were ever serious.  Oh, there’s the disconnect.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok, so grandfather them in.  If they are already old, it will take care of itself soon enough. If they are younger and we are grandfathering in any current congresspeople, most of them will eventually move on or lose.  Get the law on the books if you were ever serious.  Oh, there’s the disconnect.  

I'm serious about fixing our political situation and making our democracy stronger.  However, age restrictions are just window dressing and would be an actual step back for democracy.  Campaign finance reform, ending citizen's united, increasing education and critical thinking, managing misinformation/disinformation and information bubbles are all real substantive solutions.  Age restrictions are just dumb. It is the kind of shit Ted Cruz and Bernie Bros can all rally around.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 5:26 AM, GW Hayduke said:

That is all true.

Fuck her

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/9/2023 at 10:14 AM, Js1 said:

This. 99% of this board are not represented by Nancy Pelosi. If her constituents like her and want to re-elect her at 81, so be it. Again, she’s not in leadership. She’s not going to wrestle the gavel away from Jeffries if the Dems retake the House. 

Fine. Then take away all age restrictions for serving in office. If the constituents want to elect a 5 year old , then so be it. Either age restrictions are allowed or they are not. 

50 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Fine. Then take away all age restrictions for serving in office. If the constituents want to elect a 5 year old , then so be it. Either age restrictions are allowed or they are not. 

Pesky constitution! Getting in the way of everyone’s tantrum 

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Great, the country will be run by a bunch of YouTube dork ass kids that came to fame opening boxes of toys.  Probably wouldn't be much different than the present situation so let's give it a shot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 5:26 AM, GW Hayduke said:

The problem is that the Dems aren't likely to put up a primary challenge against her, so the "someone else" would have to be the GQP challenger.  So her constituents' choice is either a geriatric or a crazy person.  

It's all about money and lust for power with these people, they don't give a shit about anything else.

17 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The problem is that the Dems aren't likely to put up a primary challenge against her

Because they’re not unhappy with her as their representative. People get primaried all the time. Omar almost lost a primary challenge. 

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Because they’re not unhappy with her as their representative. People get primaried all the time. Omar almost lost a primary challenge. 

lol at comparing primarying first term Ilhan Omar with that of 19 term, 2-time Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.