Tsunami warnings issued after 6.9 earthquake hits Taiwan

RPM

(CNN)Hazardous tsunami waves are possible along coastlines within a 300-kilometer (186-mile) radius of a 6.9-magnitude earthquake that hit southeastern Taiwan on Sunday, the United States Geological Survey (USGS) has said.

The quake hit the Chishang township in rural southeastern Taiwan and had a depth of 10 kilometers.
Japan's Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami warning for Miyako island in the East China Sea, but the agency later removed the warning.
Photos showed collapsed buildings in southern Taiwan following the powerful earthquake. The USGS initially registered it at 7.2, before downgrading it to 6.9.

Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen activated the island's Central Emergency Operation Center following the quake. Taiwanese residents have been asked to stay alert to avoid potential aftershocks, Tsai said in a recorded statement.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

Holy shit that gym vid. Like an action movie, outrunning the falling cieling. Except the folks along the back wall, who had no chance.

I think that is a drop ceiling and those are polystyrene panels and some aluminum railings falling

• Hook 'Em 1

We experienced a pretty good quake in Taipei in 1958.

At the old campus of the Taipei American School, the terrazzo floor started moving & the light fixtures swinging. We rushed to the door to see the water sloshing out of the moat around Senior Island in the middle of the large courtyard.

Weird ass feeling for sure with the ground moving.

On 9/18/2022 at 5:54 AM, RPM said:

(CNN)Hazardous tsunami waves are possible along coastlines within a 300-kilometer (186-mile) radius of a 6.9-magnitude earthquake that hit southeastern Taiwan on Sunday, the United States Geological Survey (USGS) has said.

The quake hit the Chishang township in rural southeastern Taiwan and had a depth of 10 kilometers.
Japan's Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami warning for Miyako island in the East China Sea, but the agency later removed the warning.
Photos showed collapsed buildings in southern Taiwan following the powerful earthquake. The USGS initially registered it at 7.2, before downgrading it to 6.9.

Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen activated the island's Central Emergency Operation Center following the quake. Taiwanese residents have been asked to stay alert to avoid potential aftershocks, Tsai said in a recorded statement.

Where do you NOT want to be when an earthquake hits? 

I'll take "on a motorcycle, next to a rocky cliff, with some powerlines overhead" for $300 Alex. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Where do you NOT want to be when an earthquake hits? 

I'll take "on a motorcycle, next to a rocky cliff, with some powerlines overhead" for $300 Alex. 

I'll raise you being a construction worker on the top of 2 unfinished buildings swaying independent of each other, with a big ass crane arm with a multi ton hook swinging wildly about 15 feet above my fucking head for $1,000 Alex

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

For those of you who've never been in an earthquake, it's quite the experience.

You first feel the ground moving like you're on a boat, things starting to shake, and then you start looking around the room to see if other people felt it. All the time forgetting that you're supposed to get under a table instead of running for the exits.

When I lived in Taiwan during middle school, there was a magnitude 3.6 earthquake close to our house that was fairly shallow. 3.6 seems pretty small until you're close to it, then holy shit.

In 2019, there was a magnitude 7.2 earthquake (and aftershocks) at Ridgecrest, CA, about 130 miles from us. We were having dinner with friends and could feel the ground moving up and down. It wasn't bad, but like I said above, nobody moved, everyone just staring at each other.

It looks like I'm about 60 miles to San Andreas fault. CA has been due for "the big one" for quite a while. Predictions say over 8.0. Remember that magnitudes are exponential, so an 8.0 is 10 times stronger than a 7.0. It'll be a shitty day when it happens.

12 minutes ago, Superhero said:

For those of you who've never been in an earthquake, it's quite the experience.

You first feel the ground moving like you're on a boat, things starting to shake, and then you start looking around the room to see if other people felt it. All the time forgetting that you're supposed to get under a table instead of running for the exits.

When I lived in Taiwan during middle school, there was a magnitude 3.6 earthquake close to our house that was fairly shallow. 3.6 seems pretty small until you're close to it, then holy shit.

In 2019, there was a magnitude 7.2 earthquake (and aftershocks) at Ridgecrest, CA, about 130 miles from us. We were having dinner with friends and could feel the ground moving up and down. It wasn't bad, but like I said above, nobody moved, everyone just staring at each other.

It looks like I'm about 60 miles to San Andreas fault. CA has been due for "the big one" for quite a while. Predictions say over 8.0. Remember that magnitudes are exponential, so an 8.0 is 10 times stronger than a 7.0. It'll be a shitty day when it happens.

pk24xPraZxGZJqw3c0IX-8vSGuVhxgdY6bGF5zy_

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I've slept through a couple 4.x and 5.x in Taiwan, usually wake up, see the lamp and paintings moving, doze back off. My thought is if it's bad enough to drop something and kill me, it's too late for me to seek cover anyways.

This one was really big, even for Taiwan.

That mass damper in Taipei101 is huge, and it is super cool to see it moving even on a windy day. Would have been terrified, but wish I could have been there to see it in person during this earthquake.