Game Week- Texas Tech

Wulaw Horn

Yeah, reserving an actual prediction on this until there's clarity on the QB position - I doubt Ewers plays, though I suppose you never know, but also, how close to 100% is Card?

Assuming no Ewers, this game will probably drive a man to drink, regardless of outcome. 

Not sure if any of these guys are important, but they seem to have a lot of injuries at LB

Spoiler
B. Ramirez LB Out indefinitely - Leg
( Sun, Sep 18)

L. Moore LB day-to-day - Undisclosed
( Sat, Sep 17)

D. Lewis II LB day-to-day - Undisclosed
( Sat, Sep 17)

J. Brown WR day-to-day - Undisclosed
( Sat, Sep 17)

C. Valdez RB day-to-day - Knee
( Sat, Sep 17)

T. Shough QB day-to-day - Shoulder
( Sat, Sep 17)

C. Eakin WR day-to-day - Ankle
( Sat, Sep 17)

B. Robinson LB day-to-day - Leg
( Sat, Sep 17)

C. Spencer OL out for season - Knee
( Thu, Sep 😎

L. Hullaby DB Out indefinitely - Hip  

NC State should have blown Tech out and then their offense did all the same farting around they did against ECU (goalline fumblitis is a terrible disease) and kept the Red Raiders in it. State's soph RB Sumo-Karngbaye did whatever he wanted in the second half and their defense was crippling the Tech offense.

McGuire seemed to wave the white flag early in the 4th quarter in a 2 possession game. Strange coaching decision.

2 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Their OL is bad, they struggle to run, their QB is quick to pull it down and run if his first option isn't there. 

They look much better on defense than they have in recent years. Tech just doesn't seem to have many playmakers on offense. 

In regards to Card I don't feel Texas always puts him in the best position to succeed. He's not a strong armed gun slinger that's going to launch deep balls. He's deceptively fast and can throw the short and intermediate stuff. As soon as they started running screens to Witt and X the offense started moving with ease. Not to mention, he did hit X on a deep ball. Worthy dropped it. 

Ewers is clearly the best option. But Texas should be able to get through Tech and West Virginia without him. 

Bijan is great, but Rojo needs more carries. 

Card actually has an above average arm. He just doesn't know how to use it. He's also very indecisive and his voice and presence don't inspire confidence.

Dude is talented and a hard worker though. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Their OL is bad, they struggle to run, their QB is quick to pull it down and run if his first option isn't there. 

They look much better on defense than they have in recent years. Tech just doesn't seem to have many playmakers on offense. 

In regards to Card I don't feel Texas always puts him in the best position to succeed. He's not a strong armed gun slinger that's going to launch deep balls. He's deceptively fast and can throw the short and intermediate stuff. As soon as they started running screens to Witt and X the offense started moving with ease. Not to mention, he did hit X on a deep ball. Worthy dropped it. 

Ewers is clearly the best option. But Texas should be able to get through Tech and West Virginia without him. 

Bijan is great, but Rojo needs more carries. 

Bad oline and running qb?   Ugh  

• Hook 'Em 2

Very interested to see how they do in a road game. Tech, regardless of what their depth chart looks like, will be amped up to play Texas for (potentially) the last time for the foreseeable future. If I'm Sark, I'm replaying the first half of the bird game all week and telling everyone they suck, their momma is ugly and they can't read well. 

We'll either blow up Lubbock on our way out or need grief counselors when the game ends. 

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The Card hate is a bit bizarre.  Clearly not 100% had very few, if any, live practice reps this week and hasn't had regular starter reps in a year.   We can't win the conference with Card as our starter but there are a lot worse backup situations across college football.  If he has to go against Tech we should be fine and presumably he will be able to have a more normal week of practice.  I'm damn glad he didn't transfer and leave us with Charles Wright as our only option.

Not sure if it's hate, but it's total tribalism.. Quinn Ewers = generational quarterback. Hudson Card = serviceable, hardworking backup with limitations. But here if you say something positive about Card you get the door slammed in your face with an instant comparison to Quinn. 

No one wants Card to start over Ewers... 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Yep. Tech D is average overall, which is a significant improvement from the past.  Spot on with the offense.

54 minutes ago, texifornia said:

NC State should have blown Tech out and then their offense did all the same farting around they did against ECU (goalline fumblitis is a terrible disease) and kept the Red Raiders in it. State's soph RB Sumo-Karngbaye did whatever he wanted in the second half and their defense was crippling the Tech offense.

McGuire seemed to wave the white flag early in the 4th quarter in a 2 possession game. Strange coaching decision.

Agreed.  I predicted a 35-40pt NCState win among my friends and looked to be right on, until they inexplicably shut their own offense down.  I was flipping between games and Tech would turn it over.  I'd flip back a possession later.  Hmmmm.  Same score.  How the fuck did NCState not score?

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Not sure if it's hate, but it's total tribalism.. Quinn Ewers = generational quarterback. Hudson Card = serviceable, hardworking backup with limitations. But here if you say something positive about Card you get the door slammed in your face with an instant comparison to Quinn. 

No one wants Card to start over Ewers... 

I think it's because slow processing and bad at deep balls are incredibly frustrating traits for spectators, and he's never going to start so there's no "it's ok he's learning" patience. If we had Maalik throwing low percentage bombs it would at least feel fun.

• Hook 'Em 2

We "should" be able to beat Tech regardless of the starting QB, but if Quinn is healthy he better play. I'll never question Card's heart, or even his commitment to the team. His runs with a bum ankle have been admirable, but he's just not good enough to run Sark's offense, and that's not going to change. 

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think it's because slow processing and bad at deep balls are incredibly frustrating traits for spectators, and he's never going to start so there's no "it's ok he's learning" patience. If we had Maalik throwing low percentage bombs it would at least feel fun.

He shall be referred to as Scooter for the rest of his time here.

34 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

The only sporting event I’ve ever been kicked out of was the Crabtree game about 5 minutes before that catch. Watched it on a big screen tv in the parking lot. CSB

This game is massive for them in Lubbock. Always makes me nervous. 

It’s a good thing this is a 2:30 kick instead of a night game. Maybe it’s Arkansas PTSD from last year but I’d be incredibly nervous having Card start a night game on the road in a rowdy environment.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, GTX Horn said:

It’s a good thing this is a 2:30 kick instead of a night game. Maybe it’s Arkansas PTSD from last year but I’d be incredibly nervous having Card start a night game on the road in a rowdy environment.

This. Small blessing. Weird things happen at night in Lubbock. 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There’s no hate from me. I’m glad he’s here and will always consider him a good longhorn even after he transfers to SMU after getting his business degree. The upside on him starting is 8-4 and an Alamo Bowl. The upside on Ewers starting is CFPB. 

SMU? Buechele put in a good word for Card? 

Card feels more like a Texas State or Sam Houston State fit.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Fud said:

Tech actually was better than NC State on a per play basis; Tech averaged 5.1 yards per play, while NC State averaged 4.4

It felt like the average play for Tech was decent and then every time they really needed something good to happen and the pressure amped up the QB would either take a sack or throw a backbreaking INT.

3 INT and only ran for 54 yards. Gave up 4 sacks and 7 TFLs. Also lost a fumble. 299 yards passing because they threw it 43 times (25 completions, which was more than NC State attempted). Buncha short fields for NC State

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

we are not a playoff team this year

do not risk next year or the program trajectory for one fucking win at sand aggy

ewers continues to dress, warm up, and stay day to day.

for 4-6 weeks.

+++

that said this should be a dink-n-dunk week by design, not necessity as last night

run as much ro-cat as possible, run clock, manage the game and keep our D off the field

• Hook 'Em 1

UTSA oline had struggled until our game, too.  Tech will throw everything they have at us.  If Ewers plays I'm not worried.  With Card, especially on the road, I wouldn't be surprised if we cruise or are in a fight to the end.

The team who played bama and the team who played utsa aren't the same.  Too early to tell which team we'll get in weeks like this.

33 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

SMU? Buechele put in a good word for Card? 

Card feels more like a Texas State or Sam Houston State fit.

I think Card can absolutely be a Power 5 starter somewhere like SMU in a couple of years.   Again, how many full speed reps did Card even take this week?   Considering lack of practice time and still hobbled he played fine.  Everyone wants Ewers to be back soon (he needs lots of reps as well) but a healthy Card should keep us in any game outside of probably OU.

2 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Card: not a gunslinger to launch deep balls.  Deceptively fast, can throw the short and intermediate stuff. As soon as they started running screens to Witt and X the offense started moving with ease. Not to mention, he did hit X on a deep ball. Worthy dropped it.

the 20-yard first down scramble says Card's ankle is healing

dink/dunk, rocat, sweeps, and card scrambles up an empty middle, and rest bijan as much as possible

• Hook 'Em 2