Game Week- Texas Tech

Wulaw Horn

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Their online struggled against us as well. Harris is just really good and was especially good at getting out of pressure yesterday. 

I'm sorry, this is laughable. Maybe if he is healthy he is that potential. But he sure as hell hasn't shown it yet. I very much appreciate how he has played through injury and found a way to make plays here and there. But he is struggling to throw the ball accurately even on short swing passes. Our receivers and running backs are having to stop or reach back to get the ball. Very few passes get to them in a way that allows them to continue momentum. His deep balls aren't close. And he simply doesn't process what is in front of him if his first read isn't wide open. 

I stand by it. You seriously think Card wouldnt be a walk-in starter at Miami of Ohio or Washington State or Boston College? He is a solid qb, he is not great, I wouldnt even call him good, but only about 15 QBs or so get drafted every year. There are 131 FBS schools. 2/3rds means there are 40 or so schools he wouldnt start for. Not sure how you think this is far fetched.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I stand by it. You seriously think Card wouldnt be a walk-in starter at Miami of Ohio or Washington State or Boston College? He is a solid qb, he is not great, I wouldnt even call him good, but only about 15 QBs or so get drafted every year. There are 131 FBS schools. 2/3rds means there are 40 or so schools he wouldnt start for. Not sure how you think this is far fetched.

Yes, I seriously don't think he would be. Ok m pretty sure you're fucking drunk if you think otherwise. He isn't starting for any of the top 40 teams as is. Maybe he'll develop into that guy. He isn't a starting college QB at this level. And that's ok. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If he can hit just 1 deep shot to Worthy, Card would look much better. He missed all 3 and all were bad balls. I thought Texas would try to stress the boundary more earlier in the game to spread out UTSA horizontally and then try to hit some vertical routes.

I am hopeful that if Card starts against Tech, that we go with some easy throws to get him in a groove.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

NC State is pretty good defensively. 

I'm not sure. They were definitely good last year finishing #12 in FEI defense. 

So far this year they haven't played anybody with a pulse offensively. East Carolina is the best offense NC State has played and they scored 20 points and put up nearly 400 yards of offense. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

So far this year they haven't played anybody with a pulse offensively. East Carolina is the best offense NC State has played and they scored 20 points and put up nearly 400 yards of offense. 

Maybe. I revert back to expectations and prior years this early in the season before there are legitimate data points to study but you might be right. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

20 points isn't exactly an offensive explosion. 

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

20 points isn't exactly an offensive explosion. 

I know but it's East Carolina. That's the point. They haven't played anybody. 

It's tough to judge NC State's defense based on who they have played. Texas holding UTSA and Bama to 20 points is more impressive than anything their defense has done for context. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I know but it's East Carolina. That's the point. They haven't played anybody. 

It's tough to judge NC State's defense based on who they have played. Texas holding UTSA and Bama to 20 points is more impressive than anything their defense has done for context. 

fair enough.

2 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

It is for Jimbo 

oh most definitely

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I hope we see some more of this against Tech. 

The wildcat makes it much more difficult for teams to defend the run because they have to stay contained on Roschon. I would say this play really happens because UTSA has 2 or 3 players containing the edge on Roschon. 

#54 Hutson almost fucked it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

Hutson came back after his injury right? I know he went down and had to leave the game for a min, is there any concern about him coming into this week?

Replace him if there’s concern. The man can’t run block

1 hour ago, cashman said:

The funniest thing about Tech will always be that they hired Bob Knight as their basketball coach, but fired the only football coach who ever figured out how to consistently win there because he put a spoiled brat in timeout.

This was always puzzling to me. They were nothing before Leach. Became top 3 in the conference with him. Fire a beloved coach in their prime because a spoiled brat lied. CJKFH

They deserve what happened to them. Fuck it. At least investigate that shit before letting go the best coach you ever had. Im glad even NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes couldn't save that program. Fuck them and fuck raider rash

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, cashman said:

The funniest thing about Tech will always be that they hired Bob Knight as their basketball coach, but fired the only football coach who ever figured out how to consistently win there because he put a spoiled brat in timeout.

That was just a symptom.  GOBs didn't like an outsider thinking he was bigger than Tech Football, only it has been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that he absolutely was.

It ain't funny. #bumphillipsvoice

14 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

He hit X in the face with the first or second one. But he was also heavily defended. 

ETA: not defending, just saying they weren’t all super off. 

I believe it was the 1st one. It was a catchable ball. DB went over Worthy to break it up. If Worthy made any effort to high point the ball, it was likely a PI at a minimum. I like Worthy and he is an excellent player, but his effort at times is highly questionable. I think he is a still pretty raw as a WR

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

(remember, no injuries taken into account)

But there's 7 quarters of Hudson Card taken into account... 

DMO is the big one. Let's all just assume the B12 is going to fuck us so it will be a nice surprise if they somehow let him play. 

I just want to apologize to Bijan. I told my son while watching the game: "what is wrong with Bijan?! He keeps falling down on the first touch." Moments later he broke that first long run. Was glad to hear that Sark told him to STOP DANCING. Let's hope he puts together a lot more games like this this season. Also, Tech scares me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i think last night showed that the defense is not as good as they looked against alabama, but they are certainly good enough to beat the mid-tier big 12 teams if the offense isn't turning the ball over.  i did see that they had 32 qb pressures last night, so if they keep that up it should result in some sacks.

utsa, tech and wvu are all the same story without quinn.  play good defense, don't turn the ball over, let bijan break a couple, win the game.  they won't be pretty, but they should be wins and that is all that matters.

There's a part of me that wants to believe that the Texas D will not face a more seasoned and experienced receiving corps than UTSA all season. To put that claim into perspective, UTSA's leading receiver Zakhari Franklin has more career receiving yards (2518) than all Texas Tech WRs combined (2296). In fact, UTSA's top 2 receivers (Franklin and Cephus) have more career receiving yards together (4335) than the entire Texas Tech roster combined (3255).

The Texas secondary did not play great, particularly in the first half. But part of that has to do with the fact that they went up against an extremely seasoned group of pass catchers.

Edited by Aslan24

16 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If he can hit just 1 deep shot to Worthy, Card would look much better. He missed all 3 and all were bad balls. I thought Texas would try to stress the boundary more earlier in the game to spread out UTSA horizontally and then try to hit some vertical routes.

I am hopeful that if Card starts against Tech, that we go with some easy throws to get him in a groove.

You would think at some point he would at the least get lucky and hit one wide open receiver in stride for a long td. It’s mind blowing how he can’t hit one.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Glockamole said:

Tech’s D surprising has kept them in games.  Their OL, QB, or OC needs to be worked out. OL can’t protect, QB is taking too long to check down, and the scheme has been questionable.  so far Cumbie> Kittley

Tech gonna check down a lot just like Utsa did.  Turnovers may determine winner of this game -- gotta take care of the ball.  

16 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I hope we see some more of this against Tech. 

The wildcat makes it much more difficult for teams to defend the run because they have to stay contained on Roschon. I would say this play really happens because UTSA has 2 or 3 players containing the edge on Roschon. 

Can we agree that the shift where Card ends up out wide isn't really fixing anything or confusing anyone?  He's got a bad ankle and they ain't gonna throw it over there.  Oh, and when Ewers is better, we damned sure aren't sending him down field to catch a pass.  Why not just walk Card off the field and let Roschon throw one every once and a while to keep the defense on their toes?  Or put some speedster in at receiver and give us some additional reverse options?  Card, you're ok, but go sit this one out.

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Tech gonna check down a lot just like Utsa did.  Turnovers may determine winner of this game -- gotta take care of the ball.  

I haven't watched Tech's qb at all but I know in my soul that UTSA's guy was way more elusive.  He should have been sacked about 5 more times.  That TT dude better get to that check down quickly or he'll have stormtrooper white all over his ass.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoTex said:

Can we agree that the shift where Card ends up out wide isn't really fixing anything or confusing anyone?  He's got a bad ankle and they ain't gonna throw it over there.  Oh, and when Ewers is better, we damned sure aren't sending him down field to catch a pass.  Why not just walk Card off the field and let Roschon throw one every once and a while to keep the defense on their toes?  Or put some speedster in at receiver and give us some additional reverse options?  Card, you're ok, but go sit this one out.

They have a defender lined up on him, so it's working 

• Hook 'Em 9

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Smith is a turnover machine, Card plays it too safe, if anything, so that helps.

McGuire let Morton have some snaps toward the end of the NC State game, I wonder if he'll run him out against UT.

Also Bryce Ramirez is definitely out

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

They have a defender lined up on him, so it's working 

I'm no football expert, but I've watched a good bit.  It looks to me like UTSA has "8 men in the box," and I think generally that means the offense should consider passing.  But because Card is one of the three receivers, those three defenders really are playing 3 on 2, because Card has a broken leg and other reasons.  If you put someone out there that can do good work, don't you force the defense to back up a safety or something?  I'm gonna email Sark and tell him to get his head out of his ass.  If I can see it, why can't he?

3 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I'm no football expert, but I've watched a good bit.  It looks to me like UTSA has "8 men in the box," and I think generally that means the offense should consider passing.  But because Card is one of the three receivers, those three defenders really are playing 3 on 2, because Card has a broken leg and other reasons.  If you put someone out there that can do good work, don't you force the defense to back up a safety or something?  I'm gonna email Sark and tell him to get his head out of his ass.  If I can see it, why can't he?

Eight in the box vs a running back at QB with two others in the backfield