Game Week- Texas Tech

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

“Commit on deez muhfukin’ hittazzz”*

I think that’s the line he used on one Casey Thompson to seal the deal

*I may or may not have embellished the quote a tad

I chose to love him for his role in bringing Bijan to Texas. Don’t care about anything else. The man is a saint 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I thought Drayton was primarily responsible for Bijan.

Arizona is as Beck’s territory and he was brought in to help on that recruitment. If memory serves me there was one point where the coaches were worried he was wavering and they sent Beck out to fix it. 

https://247sports.com/Coach/Tim-Beck-347/AllTimeRecruits/

guy can recruit. He was the guy Herman brought in for any big recruit

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Bijan and Roschon 2.6 and 1.9 yards before contact against UTSA. Our OL seriously can’t run block. It’s a really good thing we have the best RB room in the country. 

Maybe they can. It’s hard to tell when Conner and Hutson miss most of their assignments, and Majors is outweighed by DL on a group of five team.

Edited by Sal

IT team notes 

Spoiler

Inside Texas readers know Mondays for the Texas Longhorns are for corrections from the previous game and install for the upcoming game. 

There were a fair amount of positives against UTSA, but many more negatives than we saw in the first two games. That gave the coaches ample opportunity to teach and teach they did. Vocally. Loudly. Intensely. 

Players received an earful today for what boils down to lack of focus. Said one source, “that’s what it was, lack of focus. They did have a really good week of practice but it didn’t translate to the field. Too many missed tackles and missed assignments, poor fundamentals. It was surprising the defense started the game that way. Coaches weren’t pleased with the first half.”

How did the players respond in practice today. “They responded well in practice but also in the classroom. They’re eager to improve and they know they should have played better. Today was definitely a teaching practice. Tuesday and Wednesday will be much more intense. Along with teaching, they’re also giving the player’s bodies a break. Starters don’t see as much action in a competitive setting on Monday.”

Sark mentioned all the quarterbacks were available in practice today. IT heard everything was normal for the quarterbacks except neither Hudson nor Quinn took snaps in a competitive team setting.

What were the main positives from the game? “Everyone was talking about the potential of a let down game and there’s really no other way to describe that start, but I think it served as a valuable wakeup call for them. They practiced hard but maybe they’d didn’t think UTSA required as much focus as they did. Now they know it’s not good enough to just practice hard. It doesn’t mean anything if you’re not locked in on game day. Another positive was everyone came out healthy.”

What else can you say about Roschon Johnson? “Both running backs were amazing. There were parts of that game that reminded everyone of K-State last year. The whole team feeds off him.”

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

Insane game it was. Epitome of the Herman era.

I went through an entire cart and a few joints just to survive and not break something. 

My old roommate who went to Tech called me right when they went up 56-41 to talk shit. All I said was "it ain't over yet", laughed, and hung up the phone. I refused to believe we were going to lose to Tech. I made sure to phone him as soon as the game ended. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Has it been explained wtf is going on with Watts? Really didn’t expect him to be this bad. Who takes his spot moving forward? Kid looked lost the whole game. Missed a potential game winning sack on Young then couldn’t find the ball this last game

Edited by DoubleQuarterPounder

12 hours ago, texifornia said:

THE best football uniform…(College/Pro/High School/MF’n PeeWee) 

…ON THE PLANET 🌎 

Motherfuckering fight me. 

32 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

My old roommate who went to Tech called me right when they went up 56-41 to talk shit. All I said was "it ain't over yet", laughed, and hung up the phone. I refused to believe we were going to lose to Tech. I made sure to phone him as soon as the game ended. 

When Texas loses I get all types of calls and texts.
When Texas wins my phone is silent. Which is what I give those dipshits that would have contacted me had we lost. I hope the silence is deafening. 🤘🏼

Edited by Droopy
Texas vs Everybody 🤘🏼
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

and Ms. Red Raider DA just happened to push the paperwork from 9 months ago today? 

img_1804_jpg_article_show_carosel.jpg?16

image.png.b739e8a826bad9a13f2c213459052823.png

in the post-truth simulation, the monday of game week against your alma mater is the last week to try to damage your hated enemy

the national media has already digested and processed this.....  "oh, it's a tech DA"..... next?

14 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Arizona is as Beck’s territory and he was brought in to help on that recruitment. If memory serves me there was one point where the coaches were worried he was wavering and they sent Beck out to fix it. 

https://247sports.com/Coach/Tim-Beck-347/AllTimeRecruits/

guy can recruit. He was the guy Herman brought in for any big recruit

Pretty sure Beck initiated the recruitment and eventually passed it on to Drayton, who did the rest 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Those stats seem super predictive. We all know Minnesota, Wisconsin and JMU are CFP contenders. 

Much like early season rankings, this table suffers from a paucity of information. We'll see wild variation week over week until mid season at the earliest. I'd like to see this later in the season with an individual team tracked week over week.

Just now, Shaggyhorn said:

Much like early season rankings, this table suffers from a paucity of information. We'll see wild variation week over week until mid season at the earliest. I'd like to see this later in the season with an individual team tracked week over week.

Meh. It will still be shitty at the end of the season. It doesn't look like it adjusts for quality of opponent at all. 

I feel like SP+ is so far ahead of all these other comprehensive metrics that it's silly to pimp anything else. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Meh. It will still be shitty at the end of the season. It doesn't look like it adjusts for quality of opponent at all. 

I feel like SP+ is so far ahead of all these other comprehensive metrics that it's silly to pimp anything else. 

No doubt, but they have to get clicks some way. I just think it'd be fun to see the Family Circus style treasure map at the end.

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Those stats seem super predictive. We all know Minnesota, Wisconsin and JMU are CFP contenders. 

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You’re really misunderstanding what this represents. This isn’t trying to be predictive, like S&P+. This is an unadjusted stat showing per play efficiency, similar to yards per play. That’s it. This early in the season you have a lot of outliers due to easy non-con schedules, like Michigan. The stat will be a better showing of who’s played well once we get further into conference play, but it will always be an imperfect stat due to such variation in schedule difficulty. EPA translates better to the NFL where quality of opponent is much more similar. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re really misunderstanding what this represents.

I'm not misunderstanding it - I'm making the point that it isn't very useful for comparing teams. I was pretty sure it was just the raw data - but I saw the "non garbage time" qualifier so I wasn't sure if there were maybe some other marginal adjustments. 

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not misunderstanding it - I'm making the point that it isn't very useful for comparing teams. I was pretty sure it was just the raw data - but I saw the "non garbage time" qualifier so I wasn't sure if there were maybe some other marginal adjustments. 

To be fair there isnt a stat that is very accurate after week 3 of the season. They are pretty much all BS until at least mid-Oct

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

To be fair there isnt a stat that is very accurate after week 3 of the season. They are pretty much all BS until at least mid-Oct

I know the ESPN FEI/FPI or whatever has a moving average aspect going back to the previous season - which obviously has its pros and cons. I'm assuming SP+ accounts for data from previous seasons as well.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is a great graphic and checks out with the eye test. Our offensive run success rate is god awful due to poor run blocking, and our offense as a whole is really being held back by only having Quinn for about 3 quarters. 

Defensively, we been good against the run and vulnerable to the pass. Our CBS were exposed some against UTSA and I expect that to continue into conference play.

The other one that sticks out is our inability to convert red zone opportunities into points. We’re 93rd in pts/Eckel, which basically means we’re struggling to convert good drives into points. We’re also 101 in 3rd/4th conversion rate. I think both of these relate to our inability to get push on the OL. Both this year and last year Sark seems to get a lot less creative in the red zone and 3rd/4th in short resulting in a lot of inside runs that are stuffed. Hopefully Sark starts scheming some more RZ and short conversion plays to help out because I don’t see our OL being good in these situations at any point this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3