Game Week- Texas Tech

Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, trythisathome said:

To be fair, the game plan last week didn't really do him any favors. I'm not necessarily holding my breath, but for my own sanity I'm assuming that he'll do better if Sark chooses to build the game plan around him and ramp him up with more easy completions instead of just having him air it out deep a few times with no previous rhythm.

Almost 50% or cards passes were at or behind the LOS last week. 

1 minute ago, trythisathome said:

To be fair, the game plan last week didn't really do him any favors. I'm not necessarily holding my breath, but for my own sanity I'm assuming that he'll do better if Sark chooses to build the game plan around him and ramp him up with more easy completions instead of just having him air it out deep a few times with no previous rhythm.

Right? Sark has a whole game of film to be like “oops it wasn’t just the Alabama game, I have to re-do an entire gameplan for Hudson”

And that’s fine. I trust Sark to create a gameplan that minimizes what Card sucks at and plays to his strengths and leans on the run game 

4 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

huh? Sark gave him open deep shots with a clean pocket or easy short throws all game. Card just isn’t very good. He was missing wide open receivers a lot vs. UTSA because he drops his eyes to the pass rush way too early. There’s not really a game plan that fits Card other than don’t ask him to do much and try to lean on the run game. If his ankle’s better, we could mix in a bit of read option to try to open things up a bit. 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

We beat Tech in 2013 41-16 with Case McCoy, who herp derp'ed for 139 yards through the air and 28 on the ground.  It was at home, but that was an eventual 7-5 Tech team.

We beat Tech at Lubbock in 2014 34-13 with Swoops ("What's my man's first name? I -- done went blank on me.").

We own Tech, and we've beaten them with mediocre QBs.  Stop being a pussy. 

Tyrone

Tech will have to stop Bijan and Rojo, plus defend Whittington and Worthy on short, quick passes. I’d like to see Card utilize Sanders too but I won’t hold my breath. I think we have too many superior athletes for them to defend, which makes me think we win 35-21. Not an exciting blowout but we win and get to back to Ewers for WV next week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Say more please. I don't understand what you mean. 

Short story: this is the equivalent of a minor ankle sprain, no bone or cartilage is involved.  Because there is no further instability involved, treatment is to allow the ligaments to stop being painful. Then play. His physical exams and on-field try-it-out will determine that.

Longer story: the SC joint is an end-to-end joint. Think of two bones just coming together. There is cartilage that covers the ends of the bones and a cartilage “piece” between them. Then it’s wrapped VERY tightly with ligament tissue. What an SC sprain is technically, is injury tothe ligament tissue alone. Fracture means bone involvement. Cartilage has nothing to do with the ligament tissue. Tearing of any of the cartilage is akin to a meniscus tear in the knee - swelling and instability and pain.  There is technically no structural damage visible on an MRI. i don’t expect Sark and certainly not FCB to understand these things. Sark just needs to know that he’s “good to go”

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This reminds me of when 6th Street said a freshman Casey Thompson should be getting snaps over Sam. 

Moving a true freshman who has only repped at Nickel, and has struggled in games there, to outside CB would be one of the dumber moves the coaching staff could possibly make. Though, I can’t say I’m surprised this is the best 6th Street could come up with. 

There are only a handful of people in the history of this board and its previous iteration that I’ve seen launch such a relentless display of stupidity at every turn. At least he’s consistent?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap...  

Edit...

Tech always gets up for Texas, but this being an afternoon game and after watching both teams I think Texas wins the game with a score similar to the UTSA game. Both side of the ball for Texas are good enough to wear down teams with less depth or skill position players. You can't predict turnovers, but all things being equal, I think Texas wins by 14-17. 

On a side note, because of what Sark told Bijan on Saturday, I think he has his best game of the season this weekend. Stop dancing, and run through the motherfuckas! 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

If we are able to beat Tech with Card at quarterback I will be both surprised and impressed.

I just don’t see it. 

Then again, I questioned Ewers before the OU game so I’m a bit of a Satya disciple.

Forgive me.

If you're able to stop being a gaping vag for one day, I will be both surprised and impressed. 

I just don't see it. 

Texas by at least 17.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

19 hours ago, AlamoHorn210 said:

Wait until you read the justification...

"(Harris) was clearly a passer with his eyes focused downfield and thus was DEFENSELESS and was it in the facemask - hit in the head - with significant force."

That’s an outright lie! It’s a bullshit call (inset gif of Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny here) Harris’ eyes were big as saucers watching O coming at him like a hurricane. So scared he peed himself and had to leave the field to change pants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, trythisathome said:

Here is the problem.. 

Opposing passers are completing just 52.3% of their passes

Tech has given up 6 passes of over 30 yards in 3 games (106th) and 3 over 50 yards (119th). They are bad vs the deep ball. 

Tech is not bad vs the pass in general, they are just bad vs the deep ball. 

Through 3 games Texas is giving up 2.33 yards per rush (9th in the country)

So knowing that about Tech, where do you want to attack them? 

TTU will be starting their 2nd or 3rd string QB so it shouldn't matter that we're starting Card, & his ankle looked well enough last week that it can't be that much of an excuse. Their offense sucks w/o their starting QB & is likely to have as many TOs as TDs per game with Smith playing. Their defense looks like an average TTU defense that'll happily let you give them the ball or throw incomplete passes but won't do much more than that. Looks like they have a decent punter & other than that I'm not seeing anything that should make anyone worried about this game other than the possibility of Card shitting himself so bad that he single-handedly leads us to defeat. I don't see that happening no matter how many tortillas he's pelted with. We hung 70 on this team last year with a worse OL & w/o a TE worth a damn. Card may be worse than Thompson but if he can't manage 30 against this team then he should just move to slot WR & be done with the QB position forever.

TTU keeps it interesting for the first half. UT wins. TTU fans continue to act like little brothers who are upset that their older brother is hanging out with his GF instead of destroying him in Madden for the 100th time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Tech always gets up for Texas.

They don't, though.  They lay down and get spanked even in the years they should win (the most recent example is - LAST SEASON, although they did lose their starting QB early in that game).  I don't really get it, as psychological impacts should fade as the players move through the system and on with their lives, but Tech typically plays their worst game of the season agains the Horns.  It's why their fans get so excited on the rare occasions they play well in this game, and I think in part why our fans dismiss Tech so readily every year.  The typical Longhorn fan only watches Tech play once a season, and Tech almost always look like shit in that game relative to how they play the rest of the season.  Some teams just have your number, not matter how many players and coaches have moved on.  

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

On the perimeter.  I think our advantage against them increases the farther you get from the ball.  I don't want to see a bunch of inside zone.

The issue is this Tech is Bama light (good vs run and weak at CB). You want to attack them down the field and hopefully that opens up the run game. I am sure that is what Sark is thinking and then he has to look at the film of Card and says "Fuck!".  People say that Sark should game plan a certain way for Card, they forget that their is this thing called a defense on the other side and sometimes what your QB does is not going to fit what the defense is bad at. Texas needs to throw some deep shots in this game. If they can actually hit a few, I think Texas can win comfortably. If Texas is forced to do things that play to Tech's strengths to cover up Card's faults, this game could get more interesting than either of us would like. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

They don't, though.  They lay down and get spanked even in the years they should win (the most recent example is - LAST SEASON, although they did lose their starting QB early in that game).  I don't really get it, as psychological impacts should fade as the players move through the system and on with their lives, but Tech typically plays their worst game of the season agains the Horns.  It's why their fans get so excited on the rare occasions they play well in this game, and I think in part why our fans dismiss Tech so readily every year.  The typical Longhorn fan only watches Tech play once a season, and Tech almost always look like shit in that game relative to how they play the rest of the season.  Some teams just have your number, not matter how many players and coaches have moved on.  

The last four years, Tech has gotten spanked in Austin kept it relatively close at home:

2021 - Texas +35 in Austin

2020 - Texas +7 in Lubbock

2019 - Texas +25 in Austin

2018 - Texas +8 in Lubbock

Of course, they won two in a row in Austin and lost at home before that.

13 minutes ago, DoubleQuarterPounder said:

I was told from the dude this board loves to suck off that Ewers would be starting lol started following this board last year and that guy seems to be wrong about everything 

We were also told we were idiots for questioning if he was playing because he was throwing half speed passes during pregame warmups in shorts.

4 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Apparently the Tech OC Zach Kittley is a Kingsbury protege. Mentored Mahomes and put up video game #s and HBU and Western Kentucky before joining Tech. Hope our DBs are up to the task of covering in space. Jamison is good for 1-2 huge coverage mistakes per game. 

I see you haven't watched Texas Tech's offense this year. 

I’m going to be a Card optimist by pointing out he hasn’t really played any disasterous  games during the day. His worst performances were @ Arkansas at night time, and then the home night game against Kansas. All things considered, he was solid against Bama ( no turnovers), looked great against ULL last season….all day games. I’m thankful the game in Lubbock is a day game, so even with the hostile crowd, maybe he won’t be as rattled. Maybe It’s a stretch to think this way but fuck it 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Here is the problem.. 

Opposing passers are completing just 52.3% of their passes

Tech has given up 6 passes of over 30 yards in 3 games (106th) and 3 over 50 yards (119th). They are bad vs the deep ball. 

Tech is not bad vs the pass in general, they are just bad vs the deep ball. 

Through 3 games Texas is giving up 2.33 yards per rush (9th in the country)

So knowing that about Tech, where do you want to attack them? 

I don't think we've learned much about Tech's defense based on who they've played on offense. When you haven't played a top 80 offense yet it's difficult to determine what they are good at. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't think we've learned much about Tech's defense based on who they've played on offense. When you haven't played a top 80 offense yet it's difficult to determine what they are good at. 

I wont disagree with that. It is just 3 games, but that is the information available. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Texas / Texaco - an iconic brand that everyone associates with the Lone Star State
Texas A&M / Bucee's - surprisingly large for something in the middle of nowhere
Texas Tech / Allsup's - people from West Texas know what it is

Plus Bucees is full of fat suburban people with bad taste