Game Week- Texas Tech

Wulaw Horn

14 minutes ago, Aslan24 said:

Because the last three trips to Lubbock have been:

1. A last second INT to avoid overtime.

2. A last minute touchdown after blowing a 17 point lead.

3. A 15 point comeback in the final 3ish minutes to force overtime that included an onside kick and a two point conversion.

Texas has not comfortably beaten Tech in Lubbock since 2014, and that win was largely because Mahomes was knocked out early in the game. None of the other trips to Lubbock since 2008 have been victories of more than 10 points.

Also, because the starting QB has not shown that he can win on the road yet either.

15 minutes ago, Aslan24 said:

3. A 15 point comeback in the final 3ish minutes to force overtime that included an onside kick and a two point conversion.

Turtle Tom is gone.  He can't hurt us anymore.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Aslan24 said:

Texas has not comfortably beaten Tech in Lubbock since 2014, and that win was largely because Mahomes was knocked out early in the game. None of the other trips to Lubbock since 2008 have been victories of more than 10 points.

1. Charlie Strong

2. Tom Herman

3. Tom Herman

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Aslan24 said:

I love it when we just fuck with Tech.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aslan24 said:

Indicative of two mediocre programs having an annual slapfight.  Things seem to be headed in a different (better) direction for both programs now, but the Horns are way out in front of what Tech is up to right now.  Really no excuse for this to be a close game. Tech has no offense whatsoever, even if their defense turns out to be decent this season.

Not an easy ticket to get here in Lubbock. Lots going on tonight and tomorrow before the game. Roads around campus are being redone so expect terrible traffic. Not sure about parking. I think there are shuttles from near UMC north of campus. Might even be shuttles from basketball arena parking. Weather is great right now looking out my window. I suspect it will be a tad warm tomorrow. Have fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

"You can draw a circle for 3-4 hours outside Lubbock and everyone in it grows up wearing red and black" - what is that, like 5 people?

3-4 hours? Does Joey have a map or does he just drive 20MPH everywhere he goes? I've lived in Lubbock my entire life & that's not remotely true in the city limits, much less in fucking Junction, Ft. Worth, Liberal, or Lawton. Maybe 1-2 hours depending on which direction you're traveling

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, hook me said:

3-4 hours? Does Joey have a map or does he just drive 20MPH everywhere he goes? I've lived in Lubbock my entire life & that's not remotely true in the city limits, much less in fucking Junction, Ft. Worth, Liberal, or Lawton. Maybe 1-2 hours depending on which direction you're traveling

Yeah I grew up a couple of hours away.  Never would have considered Tech.  Raised a longhorn from birth and most grew up Texas or Texas A&M fans (although plenty in that area end up going to school there if they can't get in anywhere else).  The myth that all of West Texas supports Tech is laughable.

If Tech got majority support in West Texas outside of their student/alumni base they wouldn't have such a hard time filling a 60K capacity stadium.  There will easily be 15K Texas fans there Saturday and probably more.  I went to most Texas games there growing up as did lots of horns in the area.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 1

Most her know I went to tech for 2.5 years after high school before transferring to UT.  After applying, UT needed my tech transcript.  I had limited time to get to the transcript office between my classes and my extracurricular.  I went by the office during that limited time thinking it would take 5-10 minutes tops because the lines wouldn’t be long.  Ho-lee-fuk was I wrong.  That line was 50 people deep every single day.  One day a class got out early so I headed back to the transcript office.  I didn’t have a choice this time.  Two things stuck out—1.) the ladies working the desk were major bitches because they knew #2) 95% of people who are in that line at any given time are looking to transfer to UT or A&M.  

My advisor told me if I stayed at Tech, I could graduate in another semester meaning I would have only been in college 3.5 years and that’s a bargain. I looked at her like:

Awkward Nene Leakes GIF by Real housewives of Atlanta

My friends new something was up when during the game in Lubbock in ‘02, I wasn’t cheering for Tech during the comeback.

Moral of my story for this weekend? Fuck dem brakes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, lazygringo said:

It's true, in my experience. TTU has cultural hegemony in West Texas. My cousin and her family live in San Angelo and they're all about Texas Tech, despite it being 3 hours away and having no formal connection to the school.

Angelo State is part of the Tech system.  

It's true, in my experience. TTU has cultural hegemony in West Texas. My cousin and her family live in San Angelo and they're all about Texas Tech, despite it being 3 hours away and having no formal connection to the school.

The only people I know that openly root for Tech are country bumpkins from 2A towns whose one decent athlete got offered by Dykes or Leach and was back in town driving a module hauler for the gin by his sophomore year.
Angelo State is part of the Tech system.  

And I’m not sure who that’s a bigger indictment of….
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The only people I know that openly root for Tech are country bumpkins from 2A towns whose one decent athlete got offered by Dykes or Leach and was back in town driving a module hauler for the gin by his sophomore year.
And I’m not sure who that’s a bigger indictment of….

My wife is from San Angelo and my aggy father-in-law teaches psychology at Angelo State.  I don't mind the area.  Could never live there but it has the best deer hunting in the state. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's my game thoughts. As somebody who is a Tech fan.
Donovan Smith: He's the second string QB for a reason. 1. He doesn't know but 1/2 the play book. 2. Because of that we rely heavily on the RPO plays which is what he did in high school. 3. The problem with that is his reads are wrong half the time. 4. He is a good runner, hard to solo tackle, doesn't get hurt easily. 5. His late game antics versus UH were really good and why Tech fans are mostly OK with him being the starter. 6. He can't throw to his right. If your DC knows this it can be a long day for Tech. UH figured it out and put an extra DB on the defensive strong-side, thus leaving more receivers open to Smiths RH side. But he can hardly throw accurately that direction. Both his pick sixes have been to the RH side. 7. But his greatest weakness is he doesn't make progressions. He stares down his primary target and never throws to the second target if the first one isn't open.

Just tell us he doesn't wear knee braces.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4