Game Week- Texas Tech

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, CustersDoctor said:

Here's my game thoughts. As somebody who is a Tech fan.

Donovan Smith: He's the second string QB for a reason. 1. He doesn't know but 1/2 the play book. 2. Because of that we rely heavily on the RPO plays which is what he did in high school. 3. The problem with that is his reads are wrong half the time. 4. He is a good runner, hard to solo tackle, doesn't get hurt easily. 5. His late game antics versus UH were really good and why Tech fans are mostly OK with him being the starter. 6. He can't throw to his right. If your DC knows this it can be a long day for Tech. UH figured it out and put an extra DB on the defensive strong-side, thus leaving more receivers open to Smiths RH side. But he can hardly throw accurately that direction. Both his pick sixes have been to the RH side. 7. But his greatest weakness is he doesn't make progressions. He stares down his primary target and never throws to the second target if the first one isn't open.

Good info,  but you failed to mention he is 6'5"/230 and runs like a deer.   We will miss Overshown in the first half.

He has been intercepted and sacked alot likely for reasons you mention,  but he is a leader and the team rallies around him.  Kid is a baller.

4 minutes ago, torre said:

Good info,  but you failed to mention he is 6'5"/230 and runs like a deer.   We will miss Overshown in the first half.

He has been intercepted and sacked alot likely for reasons you mention,  but he is a leader and the team rallies around him.  Kid is a baller.

A deer that has these rushing yards in three games this year: 9, 28, negative 9. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, torre said:

You are describing VY, Donovan Smith is not VY.

He's closer to Tyrone Swoopes, but that's more of a nod to VY. 

I think we see Morton and Smith play, especially if Smith turns the ball over early.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, torre said:

The team absolutely loves him. I do a lot of Uber driving on the weekends and gave about 6 players a ride to an after party the night of the UH game. You could tell they all were elated that it was Smith on the game winning TD. They were defensive about the fact he wasn't the game 1 starter and asked me, "How could he have not been the starter to begin with". I explained that he grew up playing in a Vince Young style offense (Please Im not making a comparison here) And in Texas High School football a lot of success comes from having your best athlete with the ball as often as possible. But in college football (unless you are in fact Vince Young) you have to able to work the entire offense and at this time Donovan Smith can't work half the playbook. I believe he's smart enough to learn the rest of the playbook he's just not there yet. So the OC is going to pick a starter that can run all the plays and that in fact was Shough.

11 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

A deer that has these rushing yards in three games this year: 9, 28, negative 9. 🤷🏻‍♂️

His rushing stats weren't any better last year. 

The "Donovan Smith is a great runner" is so weird. He's not a bad athlete but he's never done anything spectacular in the run game even dating back to last year. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

https://texastech.com/sports/football/stats/2022/houston/boxscore/18767

He had a net 86 yards against Houston, admittedly the only game I watched.

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

He's closer to Tyrone Swoopes, but that's more of a nod to VY. 

Excellent analogy.

On 9/22/2022 at 1:49 PM, Samson's Wig said:

They don't, though.  They lay down and get spanked even in the years they should win (the most recent example is - LAST SEASON, although they did lose their starting QB early in that game).  I don't really get it, as psychological impacts should fade as the players move through the system and on with their lives, but Tech typically plays their worst game of the season agains the Horns.  It's why their fans get so excited on the rare occasions they play well in this game, and I think in part why our fans dismiss Tech so readily every year.  The typical Longhorn fan only watches Tech play once a season, and Tech almost always look like shit in that game relative to how they play the rest of the season.  Some teams just have your number, not matter how many players and coaches have moved on.  

No disrespect but why in the fuck would I watch, or want to watch, tceh more than once a season?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

Here's my game thoughts. As somebody who is a Tech fan.

Donovan Smith: He's the second string QB for a reason. 1. He doesn't know but 1/2 the play book. 2. Because of that we rely heavily on the RPO plays which is what he did in high school. 3. The problem with that is his reads are wrong half the time. 4. He is a good runner, hard to solo tackle, doesn't get hurt easily. 5. His late game antics versus UH were really good and why Tech fans are mostly OK with him being the starter. 6. He can't throw to his right. If your DC knows this it can be a long day for Tech. UH figured it out and put an extra DB on the defensive strong-side, thus leaving more receivers open to Smiths RH side. But he can hardly throw accurately that direction. Both his pick sixes have been to the RH side. 7. But his greatest weakness is he doesn't make progressions. He stares down his primary target and never throws to the second target if the first one isn't open.

The running backs: Decent, not great. SaRodorick Thompson, is a very good runner, but he missed a block on a blitz last week, this will hurt his playing time. Tahj Brooks, good. Doesn't go down on first contact.

Recievers: Jerand Bradley: Very Good, a real threat could start for most teams. Loic Fouonji, Fastest player in the Big 12. The knock on our recievers is they quit on their routes and don't fight for jump balls. I know why there's a tendency to quit on routes. 1. The QB is under pressure because the O-line isn't all that good and so he has to scramble for all the yard that he can get. 2. Smith just can't do check downs. So if youre a receiver and on a particular play youre not the primary target you know that there's Zero chance the pass is coming to you. So why haul arse on a post route, if theres not chance that the ball comes your way.

TE: Mason Tharp, great hands, great TE, we just aren't getting him the ball.

O-line: is the best we've had in many years. But all the previous lines were really really bad, so being better than those means youre still not very good. They are fundementally sound so at least they'll get in your way before getting tossed aside.

Defensive line: is pretty good. But they haven't seen anything like the UT oline.

Line backers: They aren't a strength, but they aren't bad. The D-line is good enough that our LB's aren't having to take on RB's who haven't been touched.

Secondary: The weakest link on the defense. You can throw all day.

With the exception of running backs, I think you just described Texas.

8 hours ago, lazygringo said:

It's true, in my experience. TTU has cultural hegemony in West Texas. My cousin and her family live in San Angelo and they're all about Texas Tech, despite it being 3 hours away and having no formal connection to the school.

Not my experience. I grew up In west Texas, it is pretty split between Aggie, Texas and Tech, definitely leaning towards the first two. Most go to Tech because they can't get into Texas or can't afford it.

That was 20+ years ago though. Closer to 30 actually.

Edited by Longhornlove

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

Most her know I went to tech for 2.5 years after high school before transferring to UT.  After applying, UT needed my tech transcript.  I had limited time to get to the transcript office between my classes and my extracurricular.  I went by the office during that limited time thinking it would take 5-10 minutes tops because the lines wouldn’t be long.  Ho-lee-fuk was I wrong.  That line was 50 people deep every single day.  One day a class got out early so I headed back to the transcript office.  I didn’t have a choice this time.  Two things stuck out—1.) the ladies working the desk were major bitches because they knew #2) 95% of people who are in that line at any given time are looking to transfer to UT or A&M.  

My advisor told me if I stayed at Tech, I could graduate in another semester meaning I would have only been in college 3.5 years and that’s a bargain. I looked at her like:

Awkward Nene Leakes GIF by Real housewives of Atlanta

My friends new something was up when during the game in Lubbock in ‘02, I wasn’t cheering for Tech during the comeback.

Moral of my story for this weekend? Fuck dem brakes. 

Interesting. Wasn’t aware you ever went to school there. I’m friends with the family of the distinguished alum in the video. We grew up in the same neighborhood. Lot of her family members went there. We keep in touch although she lives in Houston. She shared the video on the opening of Tech’s Black Cultural Center.  I was shocked to learn that it is only one of its kind in Texas. Certainly didn’t comport with my idea of Tech at all:

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, SamMan said:

I’m very late to the party, but I think the primary reason that guy hates Texas so much (among many others) is because I’m pretty sure he was the VTM mod making irrationally bold statements about how Beard would absolutely never leave tech for his alma mater. I’m paraphrasing here but he intimated that Beard would never in a million years leave because he was a living legend in Lubbock, and he had everything he needed right there courtesy of other local hero, Dusty Womble..Plus, it would certainly take an ungodly sum of money, and even then, he would definitely give good pal, Kirby Hocutt, a chance to match or counter. 

Dude spent the week leading up to Beard’s move taunting and ridiculing Texas fans as totally delusional, extolling the virtues of how loyal and committed Beard was to the program despite persistent reminders that he had bolted from UNLV literally as soon as a better opportunity arose and that there was a damn good reason his contract included a poison pill specifically meant to deter Texas from poaching him..

A poignant quote from that week (emphasis mine):

”Lastly, this is Chris Beard’s home. His family is here, he bleeds Lubbock, and he is a man who has embraced this university as his own. Anybody who thinks he sees Austin as more suited to him is insane.”

..and then it all blew up in his face—Beard was leaving, the difference in salary was negligible, a matching offer was irrelevant, and he had no interest in allowing good pal Kirby an opportunity to counter. It was over. The deal was done..consummated over an Egg McMuffin in Levelland or some shit with his new pal, CDC. 

The man’s pride suffered a catastrophic injury that day, yet no one was willing to let that dumb fuck forget how galactically stupid his takes were. Since then, he has been writing self-soothing soliloquies like his latest missive referencing PUF and other bullshit trying to convince himself more than anyone else that Texas (and athletic director CDC (btw, how pathetic is that?)) is evil incarnate and tech (and/or Lubbock) doesn’t suck. 

Frankly, I’m totally cool with this yutz and his ilk believing Texas is evil and its fans are arrogant pricks. Are longhorns supposed to be aghast at the assertion? He must not realize aggies have been proselytizing that shit for over a century. Get in line, bro. The pity party is already near capacity. Almost no Texas fan in the universe is going to be the least bit moved when you mercifully become untethered and have to get the fuck along on your own, but it is nice that you are finally getting there. Congrats, little baby, you’re all growns up!

spacer.png

tl;dr tech fucking sucks & I’m the asshole

There is a certain level of subscriber stroking that every 9.95er has to do I would imagine, but some of these guys are like watching the inner monologue of the nerd who got rejected when they asked the prom queen to dance.

Edited by Vertigo

On 9/22/2022 at 3:39 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

I’m going to be a Card optimist by pointing out he hasn’t really played any disasterous  games during the day. His worst performances were @ Arkansas at night time, and then the home night game against Kansas. All things considered, he was solid against Bama ( no turnovers), looked great against ULL last season….all day games. I’m thankful the game in Lubbock is a day game, so even with the hostile crowd, maybe he won’t be as rattled. Maybe It’s a stretch to think this way but fuck it 

I mean I’ve had a lot of beers today, and also during that Kansas game but I was there and that was an afternoon game. Also fuck you for bringing that game up.

19 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I mean I’ve had a lot of beers today, and also during that Kansas game but I was there and that was an afternoon game. Also fuck you for bringing that game up.

Oops. So I looked and I’m completely wrong. It was a night game and apparently I wasn’t drunk enough.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

His rushing stats weren't any better last year. 

The "Donovan Smith is a great runner" is so weird. He's not a bad athlete but he's never done anything spectacular in the run game even dating back to last year. 

Something tells me he'll run today.