Game Week- Texas Tech

Wulaw Horn

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I think Card can absolutely be a Power 5 starter somewhere like SMU in a couple of years.   Again, how many full speed reps did Card even take this week?   Considering lack of practice time and still hobbled he played fine.  Everyone wants Ewers to be back soon (he needs lots of reps as well) but a healthy Card should keep us in any game outside of probably OU.

Card is better than more than 2/3rds of FBS level starters, he is just not an elite level QB. Put him in a simple 1 or two read offense and I am sure he can be a quality starter for a bunch of teams.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the possibility we move to the SEC next year it is imperative that we beat these B12 schools so they don't have eternal scoreboard once we have left. First on the list and most important is Tech, the last thing we need is forever talking about how they beat us on the way out. Lets roll them and leave them to suffer in the new Big 12. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Their OL is bad, they struggle to run, their QB is quick to pull it down and run if his first option isn't there. 

They look much better on defense than they have in recent years. Tech just doesn't seem to have many playmakers on offense. 

In regards to Card I don't feel Texas always puts him in the best position to succeed. He's not a strong armed gun slinger that's going to launch deep balls. He's deceptively fast and can throw the short and intermediate stuff. As soon as they started running screens to Witt and X the offense started moving with ease. Not to mention, he did hit X on a deep ball. Worthy dropped it. 

Ewers is clearly the best option. But Texas should be able to get through Tech and West Virginia without him. 

Bijan is great, but Rojo needs more carries. 

The problem is you can’t just run the ball and throw underneath. A good defense will sit on that and dare you to beat them over the top. There is a reason red zone defense is easier than normal defense. The l Texas offense will struggle vs solid defenses, if they can only threaten 15-20 yards of the field 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

we are not a playoff team this year

do not risk next year or the program trajectory for one fucking win at sand aggy

ewers continues to dress, warm up, and stay day to day.

for 4-6 weeks.

+++

that said this should be a dink-n-dunk week by design, not necessity as last night

run as much ro-cat as possible, run clock, manage the game and keep our D off the field

We can be a playoff team this year. Have to beat the Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 1

i think last night showed that the defense is not as good as they looked against alabama, but they are certainly good enough to beat the mid-tier big 12 teams if the offense isn't turning the ball over.  i did see that they had 32 qb pressures last night, so if they keep that up it should result in some sacks.

utsa, tech and wvu are all the same story without quinn.  play good defense, don't turn the ball over, let bijan break a couple, win the game.  they won't be pretty, but they should be wins and that is all that matters.

• Hook 'Em 3

Longhorns should roll Tech easily, despite being a mediocre squad themselves (too many getting their hopes up after that Alabama game).  Tech's in a straight rebuilding year with a young OC who doesn't know how to adjust to his backup QB, and a head coach who is experiencing big boy football for the first time.  Shockingly, Tim DeRuyter has their defense looking really salty. Even with Ewers playing (who is still very green himself) scoring will not be easy in Lubbock. Fortunately, they have an offense that, at this point, is the worst in the conference. Run it down their throats, wear out their D, game over.  Blitz their QB and they can't score. He can't handle it.   If the game was later in the season, I could see their coaches getting things together and it being more of a matchup.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There’s no hate from me. I’m glad he’s here and will always consider him a good longhorn even after he transfers to SMU after getting his business degree. The upside on him starting is 8-4 and an Alamo Bowl. The upside on Ewers starting is CFPB. 

Card ain't starting at SMU. I'll cheer for him if he does transfer somewhere - but I feel like he may just stick around. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I hope you're passing what you're smoking.  Not cool to Bogart the good stuff.

Just spouting facts. We came out of the Bama game still in it. We control our own destiny. There are no games on our schedule we can't win.

Will we? We'll see.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Card is better than more than 2/3rds of FBS level starters, he is just not an elite level QB. Put him in a simple 1 or two read offense and I am sure he can be a quality starter for a bunch of teams.

Saying he needs to be in a simple 1 read offense is confirming he struggles processing the field and doing QB things 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

JMO, but we probably faced the most dangerous QB we’re gonna see this year yesterday as it pertains to our defensive scheme(s). Brice is obviously very dangerous, but I feel like we handled him better. Harris completed throws yesterday under circumstances that I didn’t think anyone could pull off. Lotta respect for that guys athleticism. 
Probably a better thread to put this post, but it was on my mind, and well fuck it. 

Edited by Wishbone
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Again, how many full speed reps did Card even take this week? 

We have seen enough of Card to know that whether he starts or comes in relief, had full week or practice or part, healthy or hobbled, his performance is not going to wow you. He is incredibly frustrating to watch because of how fast the game is for him. I don't hate the guy, but I see no reason to be pumping him either after seeing his complete body of work since last year. He makes the fans justifiably nervous. 

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:

JMO, but we probably faced the most dangerous QB we’re gonna see this year yesterday as it pertains to our defensive scheme(s). Brice is obviously very dangerous, but I feel like we handled him better. Harris completed throws yesterday under circumstances that I didn’t think anyone could pull off. Lotta respect for that guys athleticism. 

Jalon Daniels scares me more than Harris.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Jalon Daniels scares me more than Harris.  

Definitely worrisome, but I’ve re-watched a lot of those plays he made and get more impressed each time. Good win for us and I feel better about facing any QB left on our schedule after the last 2 games.

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We have seen enough of Card to know that whether he starts or comes in relief, had full week or practice or part, healthy or hobbled, his performance is not going to wow you. He is incredibly frustrating to watch because of how fast the game is for him. I don't hate the guy, but I see no reason to be pumping him either after seeing his conplete body of work since last year. He makes the fans justifiably nervous. 

So far he has made big plays when we needed them (granted mostly with his feet) and not turned the ball over. He keeps doing that we will be fine...at least until OU. We need Ewers for the OU-Iowa State-Oklahoma State gauntlet.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s kind of funny how Tech fans hyped up their OC hire so much and they are already pissed off with his playcalling.

Without a functional OL or QB, it doesn't make a fuck who the OC is.

Y'all should fucking recognize that horseshit.

2 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Not sure if it's hate, but it's total tribalism.. Quinn Ewers = generational quarterback. Hudson Card = serviceable, hardworking backup with limitations. But here if you say something positive about Card you get the door slammed in your face with an instant comparison to Quinn. 

No one wants Card to start over Ewers... 

positive card take inbound: through 7 quarters, he doesn't take avoidable sacks, doesn't throw questionable balls, turnovers?  fumbles?  picks?  god help us pick-6s?

thank you, hudson card, for your dedication to the work clothes and allegiance to the program

just keep not fucking up and we're all good

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Lame

You know what's lame? Officials missing an obvious safety, or nearly counting an incomplete pass as a TD, or ejecting our best player on defense and gifting a huge first down to the other team for a routine tackle.

Even the Auburn false start field goal was fucking bullshit - it just happened to work in our favor. 

Officials absolutely have an impact on college football games. 

How you could watch the last 10 years of Texas football and somehow take umbrage with this statement is beyond me:

30 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

There are bound to be more inexplicable “WTF” moments and home cooking courtesy of the Big 12 refs. 

No one is bitching about the refs just to bitch about it. We're acknowledging that potential ref fuckery needs to be accounted for in the calculus. 

• Hook 'Em 9

12 minutes ago, slorch said:

Without a functional OL or QB, it doesn't make a fuck who the OC is.

Y'all should fucking recognize that horseshit.

More or less. Harsin was a great offensive mind and he turned chicken shit into functionality occasionally. Sark did really well in the first halves last year before the talent level torpedoed him, but as a general rule you are definitely right. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

positive card take inbound: through 7 quarters, he doesn't take avoidable sacks, doesn't throw questionable balls, turnovers?  fumbles?  picks?  god help us pick-6s?

thank you, hudson card, for your dedication to the work clothes and allegiance to the program

just keep not fucking up and we're all good

Absolutely all true. It’s why I said if he moves on after the season for a starting job somewhere, degree in hand, we should give him a major salute, an ovation and wish him all the luck in the world. He’s managed to do what we needed hi. To do and all while hobbled. Keep it up the next two weeks with a clean sheet and he will have done what he needed to do to keep all our goals in front of us. 
I certainly respect what he’s doing for us. While also being keen to see him see the sideline again as a backup asap. 

25 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We have seen enough of Card to know that whether he starts or comes in relief, had full week or practice or part, healthy or hobbled, his performance is not going to wow you. He is incredibly frustrating to watch because of how fast the game is for him. I don't hate the guy, but I see no reason to be pumping him either after seeing his complete body of work since last year. He makes the fans justifiably nervous. 

Right.  He's not an elite QB.  I don't see anyone claiming he is.   But we also have posters with absolutely idiotic takes like he's not worthy of a scholarship or could only start at Texas State.    I think Card's upside is quality Power 5 starting QB and I think he will be just that somewhere.  Ewers upside is 1st overall draft pick.   Not sure why people are still trying to compare them.  I just think we're damn lucky to have Card as a backup QB considering how tough it is to keep a quality backup on the roster in today's college football.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Right.  He's not an elite QB.  I don't see anyone claiming he is.   But we also have posters with absolutely idiotic takes like he's not worthy of a scholarship or could only start at Texas State.    I think Card's upside is quality Power 5 starting QB and I think he will be just that somewhere.  Ewers upside is 1st overall draft pick.   Not sure why people are still trying to compare them.  I just think we're damn lucky to have Card as a backup QB considering how tough it is to keep a quality backup on the roster in today's college football.

I think you are a bit optimistic on his upside. I’d call it quality G5 QB and serviceable P5 QB. Anytime you have a backup QB that can manage the game and not beat you himself you should appreciate that dude. 
He’s better than either of the guys we’ve see at aggy so far. 

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

if we talk about this all week it will make it's way in to the locker room, sow division and doubt, and become part of kurt bowel's narrative

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

UTSA oline had struggled until our game, too.  Tech will throw everything they have at us.  If Ewers plays I'm not worried.  With Card, especially on the road, I wouldn't be surprised if we cruise or are in a fight to the end.

The team who played bama and the team who played utsa aren't the same.  Too early to tell which team we'll get in weeks like this.

Their online struggled against us as well. Harris is just really good and was especially good at getting out of pressure yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I'm sorry, this is laughable. Maybe if he is healthy he is that potential. But he sure as hell hasn't shown it yet. I very much appreciate how he has played through injury and found a way to make plays here and there. But he is struggling to throw the ball accurately even on short swing passes. Our receivers and running backs are having to stop or reach back to get the ball. Very few passes get to them in a way that allows them to continue momentum. His deep balls aren't close. And he simply doesn't process what is in front of him if his first read isn't wide open. 

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Even the Auburn false start field goal was fucking bullshit - it just happened to work in our favor. 

Check me on this, but I think the kicker and holder are free to move without it being a false start (eg if it was fake and they motioned).

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Their online struggled against us as well. Harris is just really good and was especially good at getting out of pressure yesterday. 

I'm sorry, this is laughable. Maybe if he is healthy he is that potential. But he sure as hell hasn't shown it yet. I very much appreciate how he has played through injury and found a way to make plays here and there. But he is struggling to throw the ball accurately even on short swing passes. Our receivers and running backs are having to stop or reach back to get the ball. Very few passes get to them in a way that allows them to continue momentum. His deep balls aren't close. And he simply doesn't process what is in front of him if his first read isn't wide open. 

all true, and the option is?

Just now, Dahobbs said:

They averaged 3.2 yards per rush. We failed to tackle quite a bit, particularly in the first half. 

I saw that stat and was pretty surprised by it.  Felt like more at times in the game.  I'm guessing his average fell a lot in the second half where I wasn't watching as closely.  Seemed they were consistently getting a decent push in the first.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

all true, and the option is?

I didn't say there was one. But you cant call Card better than 2/3rds of FBS starters. Frankly, he probably isn't better than 2/3rds of FCS starters at this juncture. Maybe he get to above average as a FBS QB, but I think that may be his ceiling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

The problem is you can’t just run the ball and throw underneath. A good defense will sit on that and dare you to beat them over the top. There is a reason red zone defense is easier than normal defense. The l Texas offense will struggle vs solid defenses, if they can only threaten 15-20 yards of the field 

I know. But play to strengths. You also can't just force the ball down the field or you'll be behind the chains really quick. Obviously we've got to take shots down field, but use Playaction, deep crosses with Wittington. Basically stuff with window dressing. Can't just have max protect and think Card will sit in the pocket and carve people up like Ewers could. Gotta use his strengths. 

Edited by RoyalBevo21

12 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Passing, maybe, but they were getting push in the downhill running game.  That was surprising.

the two horrible LHN broadcasters kept harping on this, but I didn't particularly notice it.  and as mentioned, they averaged 3.2 yards per rush on 44 attempts so its not like that's a small sample size.  i know for sure that there was never one point in that game where i was overly concerned about the potential of the utsa rushing attack.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

the two horrible LHN broadcasters kept harping on this, but I didn't particularly notice it.  and as mentioned, they averaged 3.2 yards per rush on 44 attempts so its not like that's a small sample size.  i know for sure that there was never one point in that game where i was overly concerned about the potential of the utsa rushing attack.

Remove Harris from that and it's 101 yards on 34 carries 2.9 YPC.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1