Texas v Tech free money giveaway contest

Wulaw Horn

Horns - 27

Red Raiders - 24

Auburn walks it off with a field goal. Pass interference flag puts Texas in FG territory. Texas team pelted with trash while leaving the field. Big 12 vows to issue a public reprimand.

Receivers - 146 yards.

JT Sanders (TE) gets 90 yards, not counted in the total above.

Texas 44
Tech 13

Prop: 277

I actually drove through (or around) Lubbock for the first time in August. Looked like an out-of-the-way San Marcos wannabe. The airport seemed to be half full with Amazon, FedEx, UPS, etc.

Story time:

I never had hate for our little prairie bro - certainly not like the meths up north or the klan-on-the-Brazos. Back in the 90s I was dating a gal whose aunt worked for NBC as a marketing VP. She gave us 4 tickets to the '95 Cotton Bowl. They were nosebleeds but who cares. Tech won the 5-way tiebreaker to get the invite. We didn't give a shit about Tech but figured we could rustle up some red t-shirts and go to the game.

Outside the stadium, some scalper made a deal to swap all 4 tickets for 2 lower 25-yd-line tickets - on the visitor's side. We didn't care and made the deal. Of course, Tech got blown out. By half-time, we might have been the only red in the stadium. Some Trojan fans wanted to talk shit until we told them we weren't Tech fans and didn't care.

Went back to the hotel and got drunk, then laid. When she got drunk, she only wanted pooper, so I had that going for me, which was nice. That's the only time I've seen Tech play football. I wasn't impressed then and I'm not impressed now.

Texas - 42

Tortilla flingers - 24

My daughter has officially declared to be a future Texas grad. She talked massive shit to UTSA fans, and made her Dad proud. Highlight of the UTSA game.   Bijan rips off that 78yd yd TD, and my daughter got so excited she screamed "GIVE 'EM HELL, GIVE 'EM HELL, OU SUCKS," then sheepishly looks at me. She received the highest of fives.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas 30

Raiders 24

222 on yardage

Took my oldest daughter to Lubbock for a visit, felt more like some kind of pilgrimage to some faraway land.  Anyhoo..walk the campus, lunch, talk with faculty and students and wrapping up the day a storm developed.  It was the kind that the sky turned green, and the clouds were turning as if they were in a blender and the bottom opened up and the wind blew, it dumped rain and hail.  We got caught too far from the truck and waited it out on the sidewalk that had a cover.  Streets were half ass flooded and the temp had dropped, she looked over and said take me the hell home fuck this place.  I told her "smart girl".  

Hook 'Em!

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas is a young team that was not very good on the road last year. First road trip into perhaps the most hostile environment of the year - Tech fans will be rabid in what could be Texas’s last visit to Lubbock in a generation. Sark has an atrocious track record on the road and Card hasn’t proven his composure issues have been addressed. Texas OL is not very good at run blocking at all and Card doesn’t scare anyone downfield - makes the offense pretty simple to defend unless the switch just magically flips for either Card or the OL.

But I just don’t think Tech’s a particularly good team. Tech hasn’t so much as held Texas under 40 since 2017.

giphy.gif

I was leaning toward a loss here preseason because of the road issues above, but there’s been just enough real defensive improvement to flip my pick. Just don’t trust this Tech offense to do a whole lot, and they’ve got turnover issues to boot.

Ultimately I think this resembles the TCU game last year in that it will be a pretty ugly game. Texas probably won’t be as dominant running the ball as it was in that one but the short passing game can pick up some of that slack. Bad football, ugly win. But a win no less. Tech does hold Texas offense under 40 because the offense isn’t that good as is.

Texas: 27
Tech: 20 (again!)
WRs: 101 yards