Let's talk about Brent Venables and stealing signals?

Mitch Cumsteen

I had forgotten all about the shit that went down with him at Clemson until I started watching the OU/Nebraska game. After the first series, I thought.... holy shit, that Oklahoma defense is dialed in. It's like they know the play before it's run. And then I remembered the noise around Venables at Clemson.

For reference, here is the first series for Nebraska on offense:
1st & 10 at NEB 23 (13:16 - 1st) Casey Thompson pass complete to Alante Brown for 11 yds to the Neb 34 for a 1ST down
1st & 10 at NEB 34 (13:16 - 1st) Casey Thompson pass complete to Trey Palmer for 16 yds to the 50 yard line for a 1ST down
1st & 10 at 50 (13:16 - 1st) Anthony Grant run for 11 yds to the Okla 39 for a 1ST down
1st & 10 at OU 39 (13:16 - 1st) Casey Thompson pass complete to Trey Palmer for 9 yds to the Okla 30
2nd & 1 at OU 30 (13:16 - 1st) Anthony Grant run for 3 yds to the Okla 27 for a 1ST down
1st & 10 at OU 27 (13:16 - 1st) PENALTY NEB False Start (Palmer,Trey) 5 yards from OU 27 to OU 32. NO PLAY.
1st & 15 at OU 32 (11:19 - 1st) C. Thompson pass,to T. Palmer for 32 yds for a TD, (T. Bleekrode KICK)

That's 77 yards of offense and a TD on the first drive. They had 76 yards of total offense the entire rest of the first half.  That Venables sure knows how to make adjustments on the fly!

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Clemson stuff:

https://sports.yahoo.com/danger-sign-how-will-ohio-sate-account-for-clemsons-signal-stealing-reputation-025723575.html
https://www.si.com/college/2020/11/06/clemson-signal-stealing-dabo-swinney-daily-cover
https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2020/12/ohio-state-coach-ryan-day-takes-a-shot-at-clemson-and-brent-venables-sign-stealing-reputation.html

“He's one of the best defensive coordinators in college football,” Day said of Venables. “He does a great job calling the game. Seems to always know exactly what the other team is doing in terms of the plays that they're running, each play. Seems to call the right defense into that play a lot. Why that is, I don't really know, but I can tell you he's been doing it for a really long time and it's a good challenge.”

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to Let's talk about Brent Venables and stealing signals?

Fuck Venables, but more power to him if they're just observing and deciphering.  

Interesting read about it...  Seems like the majority of coaches acknowledge it happens all the time and don't really care.  

https://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1824&context=sportslaw#:~:text=College football is not the,what constitutes illegal sign stealing.

Part of the game and is probably way more ethical than what I did. I was an assistant coach and was up in the booth during our games. Against our hated rival, I could hear the other team’s offensive coaches calling their plays from the next room. It didn’t take long to figure out what meant what so I started, ahem, texting the play call down to someone standing next to our defensive coach. We won. Is that legal? Probably. Ethical? Probably not. 

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Part of the game and is probably way more ethical than what I did. I was an assistant coach and was up in the booth during our games. Against our hated rival, I could hear the other team’s offensive coaches calling their plays from the next room. It didn’t take long to figure out what meant what so I started, ahem, texting the play call down to someone standing next to our defensive coach. We won. Is that legal? Probably. Ethical? Probably not. 

If it was LT, totally ethical.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Funny, I noticed that OU had big ass banners that would pop up to block out the coaching box view of the coaches signaling in plays. I've seen the backup QB hold up a towel or something, but these were like 5-foot tall curtains they would put up. As if he was really worried about sign stealing.

These dudes:

image.png.b64e20533bf8c44846fec82b4e08b64c.png

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Funny, I noticed that OU had big ass banners that would pop up to block out the coaching box view of the coaches signaling in plays. I've seen the backup QB hold up a towel or something, but these were like 5-foot tall curtains they would put up. As if he was really worried about sign stealing.

These dudes:

image.png.b64e20533bf8c44846fec82b4e08b64c.png

A lot of teams do that. I think we do it too actually. 

Venables would fit right in with the Astros org from the sound of it.

19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

A lot of teams do that. I think we do it too actually. 

Venables would fit right in with the Astros org from the sound of it.

Or the Yankees.

https://www.click2houston.com/sports/local/2022/04/26/they-cheated-too-yankee-letter-revealed-documents-sign-stealing-techniques-and-punishment-from-mlb/

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, ousux said:

The only thing Brent Venables steals is other peoples bags of dicks

Stoops and Little Lincoln are stingy bastards and didnt leave him much.

You must not have seen Lincoln lately. He clearly found some good restaurants in LA he likes. Watched the game Saturday and he looked fat.