NCAA Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

49 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

The Groves brothers are just shit, probably the worst transfer pickups among Big 12 teams last year. Just not Big 12 caliber players or athletes. Porter Moser has a tall task rebuilding that program.

He’s not going to have unlimited time, either. That’s a program that at least expects tournament appearances, if not more. 

43 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Didn't realize the game was being played on a Carrier, very cool.  

Sparty with a gauntlet of games early in the season...  Zags tonight followed by UK, Nova, Bama and ND.  

"Hey Zags! Welcome to our brand new $375 million arena! Bless the Mooood! Most expensive place you'll play aallllll year!"

"Uh, we just played on a $5 billion aircraft carrier. But this place is cool, too."

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Gonzaga looks like a team with a bunch of new faces.

Timme, Watson, Bolton, Strawther are all significant returners. Malachi Smith comes off the bench as their big newcomer. 

I honestly felt like Gonzaga looked like the more talented team, but couldn't get their act together. Michigan State played typical Izzo physical ball, and Gonzaga did a poor job answering. 

Plus the Zags were idiotic on that last possession. 

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Timme, Watson, Bolton, Strawther are all significant returners. Malachi Smith comes off the bench as their big newcomer. 

I honestly felt like Gonzaga looked like the more talented team, but couldn't get their act together. Michigan State played typical Izzo physical ball, and Gonzaga did a poor job answering. 

Zags are almost always the more talented team. Bigs for Michigan State will tell you otherwise, thus far. 

Edited by Wally Pryor

12 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Plus the Zags were idiotic on that last possession. 

Yeah I know nothing about their team other than Timme, that's just how they look to me. Timme remains a bitch that can't score without someone to draw attention away from him.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

What do you think the game plan will be this year as opposed to last? He did a number on y'all last year.

bodies on bodies on bodies. our depth this year is on another level. our team defense this season is on another level. we're only two games into the season so these things haven't been established yet, but i've seen it. between Disu, Bishop, Allen, and Mitchell there will always be a capable body on Timme. the guys who return have a score to settle, and Disu and Mitchell have a lot to prove. this year's Texas team is team is much deeper and much more athletic. it's going to show vs Gonzaga. 

aside from our much improved post depth and athleticism, we are also much deeper and more athletic on the perimeter as well. Gonzaga as a team will face a different level of pressure than they did a season ago, and that pressure will be sustained. Gonzaga is still the more highly ranked team, but i truly believe that Texas has a deeper and better overall team, and we're playing at home. i expect to win the game. 

Edited by shadow_operative

34 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

bodies on bodies on bodies. our depth this year is on another level. our team defense this season is on another level. we're only two games into the season so these things haven't been established yet, but i've seen it. between Disu, Bishop, Allen, and Mitchell there will always be a capable body on Timme. the guys who return have a score to settle, and Disu and Mitchell have a lot to prove. this year's Texas team is team is much deeper and much more athletic. it's going to show vs Gonzaga. 

aside from our much improved post depth and athleticism, we are also much deeper and more athletic on the perimeter as well. Gonzaga as a team will face a different level of pressure than they did a season ago, and that pressure will be sustained. Gonzaga is still the more highly ranked team, but i truly believe that Texas has a deeper and better overall team, and we're playing at home. i expect to win the game. 

Yeah that's what we did to them. They still beat us thanks to an above average outside shooting night and a couple other things but we were able to shut him down pretty much the whole.

I'm interested to see him against Bishop in particular this year as Timme pretty much owned him last season 1 on 1, but I expect y'all will be able to do more creative double team action against him than you were able to last year. He's a good passer so it's always dicey.

The ability of Texas to guard skilled bigs consistently was one of the things I was interested to see this year so we'll certainly get a taste early on.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Yeah that's what we did to them. They still beat us thanks to an above average outside shooting night and a couple other things but we were able to shut him down pretty much the whole.

I'm interested to see him against Bishop in particular this year as Timme pretty much owned him last season 1 on 1, but I expect y'all will be able to do more creative double team action against him than you were able to last year. He's a good passer so it's always dicey.

The ability of Texas to guard skilled bigs consistently was one of the things I was interested to see this year so we'll certainly get a taste early on.

He owned both Bishop and Tre Mitchell. Bishop only played 12 minutes. Mitchell played 14. Disu wasn't available yet. Still coming off his ACL rehab. 

The big thing is that last year Gonzaga only turned it over 7 times to UT's 11. If Texas can't turn Gonzaga over, especially after tonight MSU did so 18 times, with 9 steals, it's going to be a struggle for Texas, IMO. But I do think they can pressure the Gonzaga guards this year better than they were able to last season.

9 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

The big thing is that last year Gonzaga only turned it over 7 times to UT's 11. If Texas can't turn Gonzaga over, especially after tonight MSU did so 18 times, with 9 steals, it's going to be a struggle for Texas, IMO. But I do think they can pressure the Gonzaga guards this year better than they were able to last season.

Moody Madness should also result in a few turnovers and sundry mistakes. Gonna be electric.

22 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The pac12 v SWAC challenge is becoming a barn burner lol

55558B49-AB0A-422D-BC18-B6344495EE35.jpeg

Not sure anyone else would agree, but if P5 schools actually scheduled fucking H/H with SWAC/MEAC (HBCU) schools, there would be more of this. TSU and Johnny have Tournament experience, so they aren’t scared. People saw what happened to Colorado at Grambling. I believe Florida (women) played at Grambling a few years ago as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Not sure anyone else would agree, but if P5 schools actually scheduled fucking H/H with SWAC/MEAC (HBCU) schools, there would be more of this. TSU and Johnny have Tournament experience, so they aren’t scared. People saw what happened to Colorado at Grambling. I believe Florida (women) played at Grambling a few years ago as well. 

Texas Southern has a very solid program.  I'm not sure I consider it an upset.