NCAA Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

8 hours ago, MrX said:

Kansas has a size problem (Not relevant to our squad) but they look resilient, and you know they’re gonna be well coached. Can they make enough threes?  They looked a little flummoxed on the wings. 

They had a size "problem" last season. 

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They had a size "problem" last season. 

Right. And two in the backcourt that helped smooth over that issue were first round picks in the spring. 

KU is still going to be really good but they were 3/19 from deep last night and only got to the line 7 times. It could be a problem!

9 minutes ago, MrX said:

Right. And two in the backcourt that helped smooth over that issue were first round picks in the spring. 

KU is still going to be really good but they were 3/19 from deep last night and only got to the line 7 times. It could be a problem!

Gradey is the same size as Braun and you're giving more minutes to McCullar and Rice instead of Remy playing. KJ is also bigger than Agbaji. You don't have 6'10" McCormack getting minutes this season but their 1-4 rotation is actually bigger this year. 

Granted Braun plays bigger than Gradey. 

If KU has a size problem then Texas has a size crisis on its hands. 

TV guys excoriated Buzz for whining about being left out of LAST season’s tournament.  They noted 8 straight aggy losses last season, then “laying an egg” against Murray State today who’s preseason MVC ranking is EIGHT.

Essentially told Buzz to STFU. 

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Murray State lost their opening game to that noted powerhouse St. Louis by 23 points.  That's how bad the aggy hoops team is. 

St Louis is picked to finish 1st or 2nd in the A10 which likely puts them in the tourney. They are 31st in kenpom with a win over Memphis already. Decent squad this year. 

Edited by Blotto

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

My aggy “friend” was adamant that Buzz is twice the coach Beard is. Oh and apparently if aggy wanted, they could money whip Beard….

Those are two of the dumbest things I've ever heard, right in a row.

Good god, man, we gotta get you some new friends.

• Haha 4

Just now, TexArcher said:

Those are two of the dumbest things I've ever heard, right in a row.

Good god, man, we gotta get you some new friends.

Oh I got plenty of actual good friends. It’s just nice to have an aggy to rightfully shit on every now and then. Then I have friends like @ztejas. Though that’s more of a Make-A-Wish thing

46 minutes ago, Blotto said:

St Louis is picked to finish 1st or 2nd in the A10 which likely puts them in the tourney. They are 31st in kenpom with a win over Memphis already. Decent squad this year. 

I probably slagged St. Louis a bit too much by implication.  It's not unusual for the Billikens to make the tourney -- they typically have a good program.  And they were justifiably favored over Murray State after the Racers lost their coach and their three top scorers from last season.  But that margin of victory was still surprising. 

I probably should have just noted that aggy lost to a team that had to be completely rebuilt, and left it at that.  

On 11/16/2022 at 9:26 AM, ztejas said:

Gradey is the same size as Braun and you're giving more minutes to McCullar and Rice instead of Remy playing. KJ is also bigger than Agbaji. You don't have 6'10" McCormack getting minutes this season but their 1-4 rotation is actually bigger this year. 

Granted Braun plays bigger than Gradey. 

If KU has a size problem then Texas has a size crisis on its hands. 

Both Agbaji and Braun rebounded well for their size.  McCullar probably covers for one of those but the other is a pretty big question mark.  Adams also won't rebound as well as McCormack did.

In 2022, I don't think you actually need a true center, an undersized athlete that can screen/roll/crash provides some advantage in keeping the middle of the floor clear for dribble penetration...which is crucial if you're a suspect shooting team.  The question about being undersized there is can you rebound it enough.  This whole paragraph applies quite similarly to Kansas and Texas.

They'll both be really good, it's just a matter of playing to a draw on the defensive glass and winning in other ways, I think.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

Both Agbaji and Braun rebounded well for their size.  McCullar probably covers for one of those but the other is a pretty big question mark.  Adams also won't rebound as well as McCormack did.

In 2022, I don't think you actually need a true center, an undersized athlete that can screen/roll/crash provides some advantage in keeping the middle of the floor clear for dribble penetration...which is crucial if you're a suspect shooting team.  The question about being undersized there is can you rebound it enough.  This whole paragraph applies quite similarly to Kansas and Texas.

They'll both be really good, it's just a matter of playing to a draw on the defensive glass and winning in other ways, I think.

We're really getting into the weeds on this. If KU was big enough to win the national title last season then they should be big enough to potentially get back to the FF this season. They'll just have to share the load 1-5 a bit more than they did last season. 

Braun and McCormack are big losses for them because they were great players - not necessarily because they added size and rebounded well (Agbaji is perfectly average on the boards for his size - McCullar is a good bit better than him on that end).

You know who's an elite rebounder for his size? Timmy Allen. 

Edited by ztejas

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Again, they will fire Buzz to distract from Jimbo.  "See, we do have accountability!" 

It’s early and college basketball is funny sometimes, but they were seriously talking about a S16 run and possibly the programs first EE. 

Their OOC schedule is horrendous. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It’s early and college basketball is funny sometimes, but they were seriously talking about a S16 run and possibly the programs first EE. 

Their OOC schedule is horrendous. 

Yeah I was looking at their OOC last night. It’s disgusting.

the game is on ESPNU if anyone cares. They are down 21 at halftime.

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

The SEC is going to be terrible this year, Tennessee and A&M have both lost by double digits to a Colorado team that lost to UMass and Grambling.

And neither were road games, Tennessee lost at home, aggy lost on a neutral court

That’s been the plan all along, dumb sip. The fightin’ aggy will obviously money whip Beard next season, they just need to move some funds around to take care of an existing $95MM issue first.