NCAA Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Fran nailed it last game that Big 12 teams are going to drop in the polls when they shouldn't based on the level of competition. 

Look at Virginia for example. They went up 3 spots by beating shitty ACC teams in Virginia Tech and Wake Forest. 

Yeah, Texas drops 3 spots for losing to a top 15 ISU on the road.

UH drops 2 spots for losing to unranked 12-9 Temple at home.  

Those are two entirely different losses.  Same with UCLA losing @ Arizona and Kansas losing to two ranked teams, one on the road.

Whatever. 

I can't get upset at that ranking as I don't think we are actually better than any of the teams above us (maybe KSU- not sure if this is just a hot streak or if they are legit this good) and expect to finish the year anywhere between #20 and others receiving votes.  Hopefully that's unduly pessimistic and I'm just overstating the loss of Beard and me believing Terry is in over his head and this conference being a motherfucker.  Beating WVU at their place is a good data point that maybe I'm being overly negative.  Handle OK State at home and play Tennessee within the spread and I will breathe easier and feel like maybe we are better than where I think we are at.  But man, this schedule to finish the year is brutal.  Our last 12 games I think we will be favored to win 5, 6 or 7.  

Favored:  H OkState, H- Baylor, H WVA, H-Oklahoma

Dog- At Tenn, At KSU, at Kansas, at Baylor, AT TCU

Don't know- Away- Tech, H- ISU, H- Kansas, 

Is anyone seriously going to be  pissed off or surprised if we lose all 5 of the Dog games and then 2 of the Don't know games?  That's 5-7 and a final record of 21-10, 10-8 in conference.  Probably finish 5th in the league. Probably be a 5 or 6 seed.  It's not like it's inconceivable that we lose any of those 4 games I put in the favored category.  We've not beaten Baylor in forever and we won the other 3 games on the road but in nailbiting fashion where they could have gone either way with a minute or two left to play. Conversely if we went 9-3 or even 8-4 I'd be banging the drums for a 1 seed. That would be way greater than anything UH accomplished even if they went 30-2. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Watching Duke/VA Tech. Duke has mounted a nice comeback here to start the 2nd. 

I just don't see them ever becoming Indiana or Nebraska football. To borrow a soccer term - that shirt is heavy and I think they will continue to find guys to fill it. Maybe Scheyer isn't the guy but they'll figure it out. They were a lot better pre coach K than they get credit for. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Watching Duke/VA Tech. Duke has mounted a nice comeback here to start the 2nd. 

I just don't see them ever becoming Indiana or Nebraska football. To borrow a soccer term - that shirt is heavy and I think they will continue to find guys to fill it. Maybe Scheyer isn't the guy but they'll figure it out. They were a lot better pre coach K than they get credit for. 

Looked on ESPN for the final score. It automatically sends me to the Top 25 scores. Couldn't find the Duke game 😁.

You are right. They probably won't fall off, completely. But a brother can dream.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Looked on ESPN for the final score. It automatically sends me to the Top 25 scores. Couldn't find the Duke game 😁.

You are right. They probably won't fall off, completely. But a brother can dream.

The point isn't really about Duke's current team. More about their program as a whole. They're going to persist. They have a fuck ton of guys in the NBA that will dump money and influence into that program. I don't think they're going anywhere - certainly not if they find the right coach. 

i'm selling duke. i think they're more like let to become ND Football than they are to remain anywhere close to what they were under K. they'll still be a big name, they'll still win a few top recruits, and they may still be somewhat relevant in the title race once or twice a decade, but no more than that. kids today care way less about prestige than guys our age or older do. what kind of free swag are they getting, how big are the NIL deals, how lit are the frat parties, how clean are the uniforms, what kind of social media presence does the school have, etc. these things are much more important for most guys now. you add to that the ever growing parity, and i think duke is done as far as being a juggernaut program goes.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

UCLA fell off post-Wooden because John Wooden was UCLA, and imo that's why Duke will fall off too- Coach K was Duke, and Duke was Coach K. UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas have all remained elite brand names through multiple coaching changes spanning multiple decades. Coach K was the reason that the Duke program became what it did, and without him it won't be the same. hell, we're experiencing our own mini version of this with beard- everything in the program has stayed the same except for him, only now it's a totally different and inferior team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

jennifer aniston comedy GIF

Can we stay in the Big 12 for basketball.  This A&M Auburn game is garbage basketball.  

Auburn is the biggest fraud in college basketball. Only 2 quadrant 1 wins and somehow ranked #15 in the country. Their two best wins are against teams that are probably on the bubble. 

This is why I don't take the AP Poll seriously-

Baylor is ranked #17 with 6 quadrant 1 wins. #14 in NET

Auburn is ranked #15 with 2 quadrant 1 wins. #23 in NET (probably outside the top 25 now). 

32 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Oh you think so?

Bruins up 12 on the Toejams at half

For sure. Both Tenn and UCLA play the game largely like Texas does. I'd rather play teams who emphasize defense than be positioned with a team like Purdue (huge size mismatch for UT again this season) or a team like Kansas State that likes to score frenetically. I'm not saying Texas would definitely beat UCLA or Tenn to win the region, but I like those match ups better.

Edited by MuellerHorn

Jeff Capel has taken a lot of shift from Pitt fans but, this year I think he is doing an excellent job. He’s had some off the court issues to deal with. As well as some injury issues.

Today, we beat Miami by 3. Pitt scored the final 11 points of the game, in the final two minutes when ESPN had us with a 5% likelihood of victory. The offense is still insane in its ability to, in a the span of a minute be both maddening and exhilarating.

Today, the Panthers destroyed Miami on the glass, 39-30 and allowed Miami just one offensive rebound. Pitt took 12 more shots than did Miami. The strange thing was we shot 40.9% from 3, 9/22 and just 34.8%, 15/43, from 2.

Anyway. The arena was rocking for the first time in about eight years. It was fun and we have now beaten three ranked teams at home.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

aggy still has a lot of work to do to make the tournament. 

They have 0 wins against top 30 NET teams. 11 of their 15 wins are against quadrant 3 and 4 teams. I can't wait to see them complain again about missing the tournament when they have nobody but themselves to blame. 

Uh yeah wow

0C1B4E7D-C57F-40ED-A480-3813F2323DFD.thumb.jpeg.9aff4c42942c5c82786d2a25d823deb9.jpeg

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35560922/is-24-second-shot-clock-men-college-basketball

Preferably no, but time to move to quarters and ability to advance the ball after a timeout in the last 1 or 2 minutes

NCAA men’s ball needs to align with NBA/FIBA/NCAA WBB on those aspects 

24 second shot clock is a hard pass for me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35560922/is-24-second-shot-clock-men-college-basketball

Preferably no, but time to move to quarters and ability to advance the ball after a timeout in the last 1 or 2 minutes

NCAA men’s ball needs to align with NBA/FIBA/NCAA WBB on those aspects 

24 second shot clock is a hard pass for me. 

As I’ve mentioned here before, Men’s college basketball is always the last to change, mostly because they are purists. I think some of that is starting to change, but we will see how quickly it comes. Everyone thought Men would go to quarters a few years ago and they didn’t. There’s no reason they shouldn’t. Women’s college basketball is trying to be more like FIBA. They wanted to approve the wider lanes like FIBA has few years back but were worried some schools (G5 and lower) couldn’t afford it.