NCAA Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

I just watched the last 10 minutes of the Arizona - Cal game because I really like what Tommy Lloyd is doing out there. I forgot Devin Askew played for the Bears. Ramey and Askew gave each other an extended somewhat homoerotic hug at the end of it (it was not actually homoerotic - genuinely touching, actually, not that there's anything wrong with that). I have good memories of both of them last season, and more from Ramey. Cal still hasn't won a game, but Askew is obviously their best player averaging over 18ppg, 34mpg, on 39% shooting and 30% from 3. 

Ramey missed 3 games, but is averaging over 13ppg, 32mpg, and is hitting 46% of his shots including 50% from BTA.

Arizona looks like a possible #1 seed to me. Although getting blasted by Utah by 15 points last week (I didn't see it) is a bit of a setback. 

The Wildcats won 81-68 in a game that wasn't that close. 

I wonder how much Gonzaga's issues are because of the departure of Lloyd. 

6 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Arizona looks like a possible #1 seed to me.

This a strange take considering you posted this about Texas last night:

On 12/6/2022 at 8:49 PM, SL Xpress said:

I don't see this team being a top 5 team. Maybe later in the season? But I don't really see that either. I want them to be a top 15 team and top 3 in the conference, and that all seems very doable.

One team is 4th in Kenpom one is 18th right now. 

Also Courtney Ramey is the greatest player to ever grace the floor at the Erwin Center. Thought I'd chip that in. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

This a strange take considering you posted this about Texas last night:

One team is 4th in Kenpom one is 18th right now. 

Also Courtney Ramey is the greatest player to ever grace the floor at the Erwin Center. Thought I'd chip that in. 

Am I supposed to factor in kenpom above all else? Is it an immutable number that once cast never changes?

Texas can certainly improve over the course of the year. Arizona may not. But I like their pieces a little better right now. 

I'm going to enjoy this Texas team regardless. Like I said above, anything in the top 15 is fine with me. I could certainly see them in the top 10. Just don't see them as a top 5. 

I'll also say I think the Pac 12 is an easier path for whoever ends up dominating that conference than the Big 12. 

I just don't think we go about rooting for our team the same way. Nothing wrong with that, but you seem excited to take exception with the way I approach it. It will be fun having these continuing discussions with you over the course of the season. I hope you're not too disappointed, because I feel confident I won't be. 

14 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I'll also say I think the Pac 12 is an easier path for whoever ends up dominating that conference than the Big 12. 

That isn't how seeding works. The B12 had two 1 seeds last season. For as much as you post about college basketball you should probably understand how stuff like this operates. 

14 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Nothing wrong with that, but you seem excited to take exception with the way I approach it. It will be fun having these continuing discussions with you over the course of the season. I hope you're not too disappointed, because I feel confident I won't be. 

Holistically I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I don't have a hard on for calling your shit out but you do have a tendency of making long, run-on posts for no reason. 

In this case you posted something extremely contradictory to something you had posted the night before and I highlighted it. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

That isn't how seeding works. The B12 had two 1 seeds last season. For as much as you post about college basketball you should probably understand how stuff like this operates. 

Holistically I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I don't have a hard on for calling your shit out but you do have a tendency of making long, run-on posts for no reason. 

In this case you posted something extremely contradictory to something you had posted the night before and I highlighted it. 

I agree with SLX. I like the sum of Arizona's components better than ours. Of course that's partly due to my bias being tilted towards skilled offensive teams. Our defense is orders of magnitude better than theirs, but they have a lot of players who are extremely efficient at putting the ball in the basket and clearly have the potential to be one of the four #1 seeds at the season's end. 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Bama looks like a #1 seed 

Im ready for conference games 

Bama, Houston, Virginia, UConn, Texas, Purdue. Anyone ranked 1-8 right now has #1 seed potential. We’ll see if conference play narrows that pool down