Iron Claw - Von Erich movie -Jeremy Allan White, Zac Efron

Mac8111

• 6 months later...
On 9/21/2022 at 8:03 AM, RPM said:

OK, it's Hollywood, but they are going to have to CGI the shit out of White to make him Kerry's size. That dude was huge.

Too boring of a video to share, but covering a Variety article that says White gained 40lbs of muscle for the role.

A couple of other vids. Strange that the Zac Efron didn't speak with Kevin in order to play the character.

• 5 months later...

Damn that takes me back to being a kid in Dallas in the early 80s. The Von Erichs were gods and WCCW was must-watch TV. I remember when our dad took mdleast and me to the shitty Sportatorium. No Von Erichs but we saw Iceman King Parsons win a match.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Drool 1

My brother and I were big wrastlin fans in late 70's and 80's. The line of characters rolling through the Sportatoruim were like a carny crew. Von Erich vs Free Birds...classic backyard brawls. I called my brother an "Egg Sucking Dog" for two years because of the influence of Terry Gordy. I'm in. 

The soundtrack is awesome, too. I'm a huge Rush fan. Tom Sawyer and wraslin...my hair is on fire! 

• Like 1

Could not get enough wrestling back in the day.  I was more of a Houston Wrestling with Paul Bosch hosting. If i remember right Houston wrestling became Mid South and the Von Erichs would tour through from time to time.  My dad took me to a couple of matches at the Sam Houston Coliseum.  We sam Junkyard Dog, Kamala and Hacksaw Duggan back in the early 80s.  This is so right up my alley. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

I met Mike, Fritz and Kerry at a Lake Dallas v Bridgeport game. They have nailed it! Holt McCallany as Fritz is spooky authentic. Jeremy Allen White is built and resembles Kerry, but he's too short. Mike hardly gets a mention in the credits. He was a cool dude.

Seeing the exterior shots of The Sportatorium gave me shivers.

Maura Tierney and Lily James? Yes, please!

When I was in 10th grade, Grapevine Lake flooded bad and my brother and I went fishing near our house standing in the middle of one of the streets in our neighborhood that was under water. just standing there and a truck pulls up. 2 big motherfuckers get out with poles. fished with us for about an hour. Kerry and Kevin.  Kerry was dead a little over 3 years later.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, RPM said:

I met Mike, Fritz and Kerry at a Lake Dallas v Bridgeport game. They have nailed it! Holt McCallany as Fritz is spooky authentic. Jeremy Allen White is built and resembles Kerry, but he's too short. Mike hardly gets a mention in the credits. He was a cool dude.

Seeing the exterior shots of The Sportatorium gave me shivers.

Maura Tierney and Lily James? Yes, please!

When I think Von Erich's, I think of a bunch of dudes 5'8" and under. I guess they'll have to make sure the ropes are lower for the ring scenes. 

Kerry was my height 6′ 2″. Fritz looked bigger, but it was Fritz. Mike was around 5'10" and skinny af. He and I were the same age and met at the LDvBP game. Didn't know who he was and we played on the same side in a matchup football game behind the stands until somebody ran up and said "Fritz Von Erich is at the concession stand!" I turned to "Mike" and said let's go get his autograph! To which he replied "Nah, it just my Dad." I immediately gained my newest, bestest friend and hung with him until they got in Fritz Lincoln and drove out the parking lot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Man, those were the days.  Sundays before church!  My family had a sporting goods store and somehow we sold tickets to the local wrasslin matches when they'd roll through.  Always had front row seats at the hs gym.  Best one ever was at the stadium though - Bruiser Brody vs Kamala the Ugandan Giant.

Von Erichs vs Freebirds was the classic good v evil.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My daddy made me cry only twice in all my years. Once when he beat me with a tire iron for chasing them goats on my bike and forcing them to tear up a stretch of fence. The second time when he put me in the figure four and told me wrestling was fake. I healed up from episode one; the wound is still fresh 40 years later on the second. 

The Von Erichs were/are gods among men. 

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

Damn that takes me back to being a kid in Dallas in the early 80s. The Von Erichs were gods and WCCW was must-watch TV. I remember when our dad took mdleast and me to the shitty Sportatorium. No Von Erichs but we saw Iceman King Parsons win a match.

this.  Saturday night wrasslin (Ch 11?)

Skandor Akbar!  Bill Mercer.  simpler days and times

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Takes me back to the days of mdmost and I having VHS tapes of this:

That is awesome, still watching it. Just noticed that Gino Hernandez is “from Highland Park”. Also Gentlemen Chris Adams, damn haven’t thought of him in well, 40 years. Fuck I’m old

8 hours ago, Gordon Shumway said:

My dad took me to a couple of matches at the Sam Houston Coliseum.  We sam Junkyard Dog, Kamala and Hacksaw Duggan back in the early 80s.

Same here. I still remember Hacksaw giving the One Man Gang a forearm to the chest, causing the Gang to spit a baseball sized loogie into the crowd. Over the years, we also saw Ric Flair, Lex Luger, the Road Warriors, Kamala, the Midnight Express with Jim Cornette, the Fantastics, Larry Zbysko, Skandor Akbar, and many many more. We also saw Hogan beat Mr Perfect, but WWF was cartoonish nonsense compared to UWF, WCCW, and NWA. The great thing was that tickets to the Bosch promotion shows were dirt cheap, so we’d always get seats on the floor a couple rows back from the ring. 

At home, I would watch GLOW on Friday night, then WWF, UWF, and WCCW on Saturday morning, followed by Kung Fu Theater on Channel 39. 

Damn. I really wasted my youth. 

My wife grew up in Dallas and went to the matches at the Sportatorium with some friends in high school. 

And if any of y’all haven’t watched Wrestlers on Netflix, I highly recommend it.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

25 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

My dad was friends with Bill Mercer.  

The von Erichs belonged to our church, the First Baptist Church and Bowling Alley of Denton.   David and Kerry came pretty regularly for awhile.  Kerry always had some hawt ass arm candy with him.  

damn.  Bill Mercer is 97.

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

I saw KVE v Kamala, live in Victoria. Shot was insane 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I saw KVE v Kamala, live in Victoria. Shot was insane 

Was that around '85 or so?  Some friends went and one was so proud to have collected some of KVE's blood off the mat onto a scrap piece of paper.  

I just remembered I had a KVE pen. It was triangle sided with his name on each side.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Was that around '85 or so?  Some friends went and one was so proud to have collected some of KVE's blood off the mat onto a scrap piece of paper.  

I just remembered I had a KVE pen. It was triangle sided with his name on each side.

Yes, they ran out of beer cups and started selling beer in pocorn containers 

19 hours ago, Deej said:

Growing up in Austin, we got mainly the wrestling out of San Antonio.

My sister played softball with Bob "Mr. Pile Driver" Sweetan's daughter.  He'd show up for games in clothes that would make a homeless man embarrassed.

We went to the old City Coliseum several times to see the WCCW show.  One match was Kamala vs. Andre the Giant.  One threw the other into the ropes in the first few seconds of the match and the ropes broke.  They had to finish the match with only the bottom rope still up.  We were leaving and a car drove by with Ice Man and a couple of heels...a sad lesson to learn 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

My sister played softball with Bob "Mr. Pile Driver" Sweetan's daughter.  He'd show up for games in clothes that would make a homeless man embarrassed.

We went to the old City Coliseum several times to see the WCCW show.  One match was Kamala vs. Andre the Giant.  One threw the other into the ropes in the first few seconds of the match and the ropes broke.  They had to finish the match with only the bottom rope still up.  We were leaving and a car drove by with Ice Man and a couple of heels...a sad lesson to learn 

was ice man drinking beer with your mom ?

Mid-90s on a flight to Charlotte there were 4 or 5 guys up front who were obviously all flying together.  Upon landing, we all end up on the same shuttle bus to the rental car lot.

I was starting to figure out they were rasslers (not from my era) and when we got on the shuttle, the shuttle driver goes into full Chris Farley "that was awesome" guy mode.  He was non-stop the whole way to the lot.

image.gif.1d0c0f6fd6ae7825710c3ffeec468b5f.gif200.webp.bd98ac9732845d0455e5312bba272d7e.webpimage.gif.05dfd114d72b5e0e200dea2c77b81226.gif