Where famous/notable Texans were born

shadow_operative

Wait until you find out who's buried in Grant's Tomb ;)  

csb/ I won a free fancy dinner once by answering that trivia question who was buried at Hornsby's bend.  Weird thing was it was a roomful of folks old enough to have played with him, but none were baseball fans.  Later, one older gentlemen came up and was impressed I knew who he was and told me Rogers' whole history in Texas.  Really fascinating.  We had a drink together and shared some baseball trivia.  i was probably 35 at the time, this guy 75.  Can't remember the dinner spot but it I'd like to think that old timer is thinking of baseball right now and telling his wife how much this fucking thread sucks but we keep coming back to it!!!!! AHHHHHHHh

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Holy crap. Thanks for posting. Had no idea of the connection with the family / Hornsby Bend. 

Have a family friend who was briefly married to one of the Hornsby descendants.  Most boring SOB I've ever met in my life.  He married a smoking hot hispanic girl, thus marrying into a big, fun hispanic family.  Big get-togethers all the time, fabulous food......to which he would bring his own bag of McDonalds, because anything else "made his stomach hurt."  White bread and vanilla would get together and make fun of this guy for being so bland and boring.

Stunning latina unsurprisingly divorced him after a few years.  Nobody was sad to see him go.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Have a family friend who was briefly married to one of the Hornsby descendants.  Most boring SOB I've ever met in my life.  He married a smoking hot hispanic girl, thus marrying into a big, fun hispanic family.  Big get-togethers all the time, fabulous food......to which he would bring his own bag of McDonalds, because anything else "made his stomach hurt."  White bread and vanilla would get together and make fun of this guy for being so bland and boring.

Stunning latina unsurprisingly divorced him after a few years.  Nobody was sad to see him go.

this the guy?

3756F250-9FC5-4D52-B6AA-9E2615947B5F.jpeg

Gary P Nunn anyone?  
Also, you can't drive through Winters without seeing the Rogers Hornsby sign.  We're talking baseball royalty...
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/660485-cant-top-this-hornsbys-5-year-run-is-all-time-best
""I've always felt Rogers Hornsby was the greatest hitter for average and power in the history of baseball," - Ted Williams

Gary was born in Oklahoma, later moving to Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

My mistake - I thought he was from Brownfield but I guess he moved there as a kid.  This is one of those rare instances where moving to Brownfield is an upgrade.

He got there as fast as he could. 

They also missed out on Sonny Curtis, who was from Meadow, just up the road from Brownfield.

Edited by Steel Shank

On 9/22/2022 at 1:54 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Nolan Ryan, Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher, was born in Refugio; his family moved to Alvin when he was six weeks old

huh. 

My dad was born in Refugio, small world.

Also, no serial killers on the list.  I guess their more infamous than famous.