Utah football: serious bidness

HiggyBaby

Do we honestly live in a world where an obvious joke is taken seriously as a terrorist threat?

Drunken coed posts she'll blow up a nuclear reactor if the football team doesn't win....and they take that as even remotely anything other than a drunken coed making a dumb joke?

Have we really lost all common sense?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Do we honestly live in a world where an obvious joke is taken seriously as a terrorist threat?

Drunken coed posts she'll blow up a nuclear reactor if the football team doesn't win....and they take that as even remotely anything other than a drunken coed making a dumb joke?

Everyone knows you can’t joke at airport security and the internet.

8 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Actually you sound like the drunken one.

She posted on social media. Can you accurately ascertain intent from social media? Not to go CR here, but a good number of these perpetrators of mass shootings were found to have made posts suggesting or even outright threatening violence prior to committing the acts.

For all you know, she might have been working for the nuclear facility even if it was as simple a job as a janitor or clerical assistant.

Edited by UDontKnow

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Wait, they have a nuclear reactor?  On campus?

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

That is what I was thinking.

Texas actually has on at the Balcones Research location.

https://dailyutahchronicle.com/2016/11/04/sole-nuclear-reactor-utah-housed-u/

One of the most unique resources the University of Utah offers is a nuclear reactor housed in the Merrill Engineering Building (MEB) on the northwest corner of campus. Though this reactor does not generate electricity to power the U’s buildings, is used extensively in student and faculty research.

22 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Actually you sound like the drunken one.

She posted on social media. Can you accurately ascertain intent from social media? Not to go CR here, but a good number of these perpetrators of mass shootings were found to have made posts suggesting or even outright threatening violence prior to committing the acts.

For all you know, she might have been working for the nuclear facility even if it was as simple a job as a janitor or clerical assistant.

Yes, I can ascertain intent by the fact she said if they didn't win a football game, she would...________.

How many times have any of us said something similarly outrageous yet obviously joking when it comes to a football game?  "If he throws another pick-6, I'm going to _________".   "If they botch another onside kick recovery, I swear I will ______________."

It wasn't that she went online to threaten to blow up a nuclear reactor.  It's that she said, "If they lose this game, I will ___________".  That's what makes the obvious innocent joke obvious and a joke, and not even remotely a real threat of any kind.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

Comedy is dead.

She needs to get to blowing QB's instead of blowing nukes  

Dude it's even easier than that, she didn't have to blow anything up, just detonate it.

edit: I think you just have to pull the pin

Edited by GringoSalado

image.png.45c95491f4f8fe4a97ca2374a43bab86.png

I've tried to forget most of the Charlie era, but this statement lingers.  I could see someone paying this gal a visit to check her crazy meter, but it reads like just another stupid fan statement to me.  The only thing concerning in the story is that she "had information about the reactor".  I'm guessing that is a stretch by the authorities to justify the arrest.  If they actually charge and prosecute her just for making that comment, that is unbelievably stupid.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, blutow said:

image.png.45c95491f4f8fe4a97ca2374a43bab86.png

I've tried to forget most of the Charlie era, but this statement lingers.  I could see someone paying this gal a visit to check her crazy meter, but it reads like just another stupid fan statement to me.  The only thing concerning in the story is that she "had information about the reactor".  I'm guessing that is a stretch by the authorities to justify the arrest.  If they actually charge and prosecute her just for making that comment, that is unbelievably stupid.   

Blind squirrel etc.

59 minutes ago, Augustus said:

We actually have two nuclear reactors on campus, and if we lose to Arkansas, that chick from Utah is gonna blow one up.

You should blame Bilbo, so you can get out from underneath that monumentally aggy contract and go find the next 7-5/8-4 coach.  

5 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

That seems to depend on what team you cheer for.