Movies for sons

Goredho

Not sure about "watch with him" but here would be a good appointment viewing list for a teenage male (of stuff that somehow no one has posted yet):

Blockbusters/epics:

Braveheart

Gladiator

LOTR trilogy 

(assuming he's seen the original Star Wars trilogy?)

The Prestige

Nolan Batman trilogy

Pirates of the Caribbean (first few are all pretty good but the first one would be the only essential one)

Bladerunner (go make your kid watch Bladerunner right now)

Alien 

Comedies:

Raising Arizona

Anchorman 

Old School 

Wedding Crashers 

The Hangover

Walk Hard

Royal Tenenbaum's

Others:

Dead Poet's Society (make your kid watch this after he finishes Bladerunner)

Moonlight

There Will Be Blood

No Country For Old Men

The Hurt Locker

Too many more to name. If he sees all those he'll be ahead of 98% of his peers when it comes to film knowledge over the past ~30 years. 

36 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

I put on Airplane! when my boys were teenagers thinking they would love it. Two minutes in they were like.."is it going to be like this the whole time?" They tapped out quickly.

They did love The Jerk tho..

The thing about Airplane! is it was lightning in a bottle. You had to have seen all the terrible movies they were satirizing to understand it. Their generation has seen none of them.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

The Natural 

Great father/son movie, and another baseball movie that’s not just for baseball people 

We need a movie about your guy.  Loved Hank. To me he was the greatest al around player.

*besides a documentary. there is one of those already.

Edited by Pokoloco

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Not sure about "watch with him" but here would be a good appointment viewing list for a teenage male (of stuff that somehow no one has posted yet):

Blockbusters/epics:

Braveheart

Gladiator

LOTR trilogy 

(assuming he's seen the original Star Wars trilogy?)

The Prestige

Nolan Batman trilogy

Pirates of the Caribbean (first few are all pretty good but the first one would be the only essential one)

Bladerunner (go make your kid watch Bladerunner right now)

Alien 

Comedies:

Raising Arizona

Anchorman 

Old School 

Wedding Crashers 

The Hangover

Walk Hard

Royal Tenenbaum's

Others:

Dead Poet's Society (make your kid watch this after he finishes Bladerunner)

Moonlight

There Will Be Blood

No Country For Old Men

The Hurt Locker

Too many more to name. If he sees all those he'll be ahead of 98% of his peers when it comes to film knowledge over the past ~30 years. 

Waited until page 2 for gladiator, which should be in the first fucking post. I am not…

Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF

1 hour ago, RPM said:

The thing about Airplane! is it was lightning in a bottle. You had to have seen all the terrible movies they were satirizing to understand it. Their generation has seen none of them.

Lol not at all. It isn't younger generation's fault that his kids don't get Airplane. That movie is hysterical in a vacuum. 

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

and My Cousin Vinny

I was watching My Cousin Vinny a few months ago when my teenage son sat down and started watching it. He obviously was interested in Marisa Tomei because he asks "does that actress come out in other movies?"

I said "dude, that's Hot Aunt Mae!" He followed up with "Then that's really Hot Aunt Mae." I told him I had a crush on her since middle school and his mom would smack me anytime we watched a movie with her in it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Or understand the career background of Nielsen, Stack, Graves and Bridges to fully appreciate their performances. 

• Like 1

For both of mine, a double feature of Dazed and Confused/Fast Times a Ridgemont High was a prerequisite the week before they started high school.

Both Rushmore and The Life Aquatic have some good father/son themes. 

I'll echo Stand By Me.  It came out when I was in Jr high, and they saw it at that age themselves.  They loved it, and I think it's a great movie for the awkward and uncomfortable adolescent years.  And I think Goonies accomplishes the same thing from a comedic perspective.

And for some fun, follow Full Metal Jacket with Stripes as a double feature.  They are mirror images.

Edited by Damor
muledick
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bad News Bears

Red Dawn

Stand by Me

Goonies

Sandlot

A Christmas Story

These were the only older movies all 3 of my sons liked watching. My oldest two liked the Indiana Jones trilogy.

Movies they universally disliked: Princess Bride, Dark Crystal, Blazing Saddles, Airplane, and Conan.

• Hook 'Em 1

a couple of greats that did NOT resonate with my boys:

Red Dawn- no clue on the Cold War. They've read about it and know it happened, but don't get the social climate of the day.

The Breakfast Club.  Should appeal as a coming of age flick, right?  Nope.  They were bored as hell. See also: Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  They did however, appreciate Risky Business, or maybe it was just Rebecca's titties.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

a couple of greats that did NOT resonate with my boys:

Red Dawn- no clue on the Cold War. They've read about it and know it happened, but don't get the social climate of the day.

The Breakfast Club.  Should appeal as a coming of age flick, right?  Nope.  They were bored as hell. See also: Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  They did however, appreciate Risky Business, or maybe it was just Rebecca's titties.

Man. Ferris Bueller is easy to get. 

Breakfast Club is honestly not a kids movie or even teen movie to some degree. It's one of those movies that you have to be out of high school looking back on to fully understand and appreciate. You have to have seen people change and identified some personal biases and unfair judgements and worked through them. 

Not that kids can't enjoy it - but most kids wouldn't understand what it's really about. 

e.g. - I think you have to be a certain age to really get a scene like this.

Edited by ztejas