TCU @ SMU - 11A - ESPNU

Wally Pryor

Y’all know many SMU grads?  I live amongst them. Girls are better than the guys, who are extremely douchey with few exceptions. Girls are typically snoots. It’s a great school, beautiful campus, and I like their football team and coach better than TCU’s. The age 40-50 SMU male crowd is the douchiest, most monolithic alumni base I’ve ever encountered and I suspect that is the case for any age group. 

Edited by Porterhouse

7 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Y’all know many SMU grads?  I live amongst them. Girls are better than the guys, who are extremely douchey with few exceptions. Girls are typically snoots. It’s a great school, beautiful campus, and I like their football team and coach better than TCU’s. The age 40-50 SMU male crowd is the douchiest, most monolithic alumni base I’ve ever encountered and I suspect that is the case for any age group. 

I'm pretty sure Ohio State is the douche equivalent of the speed of light. It's impossible to exceed OSU's doucheyness.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

I'm pretty sure Ohio State is the douche equivalent of the speed of light. It's impossible to exceed OSU's doucheyness.

Different kind of douche. They’re the jersey-wearing, jean-short wearing, buckstache-having people that will try to fight you in Columbus when you beat them. 

SMU is the cocaine-in-college-snorting, private jet-access-having, shit-talking panty-waste chicken fuckers you want to fight.

LSU, OSU, and Tech fans will try and fight you. Being around SMU fans makes you want to fight them. 

Edited by Porterhouse

8 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Different kind of douche. They’re the jersey-wearing, jean-short wearing, buckstache-having people that will try to fight you in Columbus when you beat them. 

SMU is the cocaine-in-college-snorting, private jet-access-having, shit-talking panty-waste chicken fuckers you want to fight.

LSU, OSU, and Tech fans will try and fight you. Being around SMU fans makes you want to fight them. 

You're really harping on SMU grads for being one of the routinely douchiest posters here. Tell us more about what your kids wear to the golf course and how you teach them to despise poor people. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Like that one douchebag fraternity everyone avoids, but it's the entire school.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're really harping on SMU grads for being one of the routinely douchiest posters here. Tell us more about what your kids wear to the golf course and how you teach them to despise poor people. 

Oh, there he is: like a moth to flame. No idea what you’re talking about. 

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Like that one douchebag fraternity everyone avoids, but it's the entire school.

No question. Exactly what it is. I have a friend, on the first team back from death penalty. He’s a lot less douchey (only one I know), but happens to be a very clear fraud. 

Edited by Porterhouse

19 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

No idea what you’re talking about. 

On 9/12/2022 at 2:55 PM, Porterhouse said:

When my son asks me why we don’t go to Cowboys games, I google Jerry Jones’ picture and say “that’s why”. I need to show him this thread. He’s 12 and can handle it now. Everyone in these videos is pure trash and most fans of teams are trash. And I mean everyone in these videos. If I’m in camera view of a fight, I’m grabbing my family and running out of view. 

On 9/12/2022 at 5:05 PM, Porterhouse said:

I turn them down. Every season, multiple games. I’m 44, maybe I’m too old, but I recall in my late 20s thinking this wasn’t my crowd, and this prime Parcells/Wade/Romo era. I’ve never understood anyone that is older than a young teenager that wears jerseys and in fact my son stopped doing it at like 6 years old when he had a Horns jersey with Porterhouse on the back. He’s a t-shirt/polo guy at 12. 

You get some of those dorks at college games, but unless they’re LSU or OSU, they’re not starting fights. They’re just loser nerds. 

On 9/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, Porterhouse said:

25?  Anyone in their teenage years wearing a jersey should never be hired for any task other than non-machinery manual labor. Fucking poors. 

I'm sure that's not even close to the most ironic shit you've posted.

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Is SMU really that strong academically? Seems like $70M-$80M a year to surround yourself with like-minded, daddy-money people while getting an average education. If I have that much to spend on a private school, I’m selecting Rice. 

7 minutes ago, Vertuzzi said:

Is SMU really that strong academically? Seems like $70M-$80M a year to surround yourself with like-minded, daddy-money people while getting an average education. If I have that much to spend on a private school, I’m selecting Rice. 

Yes it is*. If I’m picking between those schools and I’m a business undergrad, it’s SMU in a heartbeat for multiple reasons, and it’s not really a close decision. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5d1b56a8a7a00b6402fc7821f4f445ae.jpeg

Edited by Porterhouse

5 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Yes it is. If I’m picking between those schools and I’m a business undergrad, it’s SMU in a heartbeat for multiple reasons, and it’s not really a close decision. 

Well, yes. If you're a kid planning to major in business, your job is to attend the biggest university with the richest alumni base possible. I'd choose Rice for almost anything else. 

55 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Well, yes. If you're a kid planning to major in business, your job is to attend the biggest university with the richest alumni base possible. I'd choose Rice for almost anything else. 

I wouldn't but that’s just me. Business is the only degree for me (or my kids, likely) so they definitely sways my opinion but it’s not the only reason. 

52 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

SMU acceptance rate is around 50% and Rice is 10%.  What are y'all talking about?

See above. Acceptance rates, lol. 

3 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

SMU has a good amount of non rich white douches, Shag and surly users talking shit is funny though. Most of you dorks are the same. Pony up!!!

Also a pretty fair number of rich, non-white douches and just non-douches. It's not quite as uniform as people like to portray it.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah there are a ton of Chinese kids. 

There used to be quite a number of international students.  But they weren't the same kind of barely-English speaking types at UT.  Very wealthy, cosmopolitan types, typically spoke English with a british-y accent, often kind of exotic mixed-race types, often not "from" their country of origin.  Like Persians from Argentina and shit. Almost like parody characters from a movie.  They weren't douchey, per se, most of the time, but often sheltered about how the mere 2-3% live.

But that was before SMU started pushing STEM hard.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

Getting into Rice is unlike getting into SMU 

• Hook 'Em 1

There were some very wealthy Mexican internationals when I was there and a BUNCH of also very wealthy Chinese internationals. Probably 5% of the student body. Most of their English was bad. They were nice enough and mostly did their own thing with each other.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

There were some very wealthy Mexican internationals when I was there and a BUNCH of also very wealthy Chinese internationals. Probably 5% of the student body. Most of their English was bad. They were nice enough and mostly did their own thing with each other.  

Yeah knew and knew of some pretty fancy "white Mexicans," but there's no shortage of those at UT either.  And some mixed Asians from places like Macau, HK, and Singapore, and the aforementioned Persian from Argentina.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yep met alot of former Tec students from Monterrey. Didn't know the connection at the time but rich dads make sense now.

37 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I actually forever owe a debt to SMU.  My Dad went to SMU on the GI Bill after WWII and because he had a relative that lived on Dyer that he could live with.

Dallas was sort of a "regional powerhouse" city post-war, and SMU was very identified with Dallas and its power structure.  So it seemed like a good choice for a Methodist kid from Arkansas who just spent the last three years bopping around the Pacific dodging kamikazes and shooting up islands and such.  He also had a wartime impromptu associates degree from Hendrix College, another Methodist school (they didn't grant associates degrees, unless the student in question enlisted in the military over summer break like my Dad).

But my parents didn't think of it as some uber-elite private school.  The just thought it sort of represented the SWC/Texas schools, obviously more expensive than the publics, but not much more than that.

So, my college tuition fund, which was actually started several years before i was born, because I'm adopted, used SMU's tuition as a baseline.  By the time I graduated high school it was nearly 100x ( $400+ per hour vs. $4- per hour) the cost of UT and probably would have emptied that fund pretty good.  Having elected UT and UT law school, I got the whole ball of wax paid for and a goodly chunk left over to grow baby grow.  Thanks, Mom & Dad.  RIP.  And thanks to SMU for unwittingly providing a savings target for my college fund.

Man that's a hell of a story. Also shout-out GI Bill only way my ass going anywhere other than Eastfield. 

• Hook 'Em 2