2022 State Fair

Gator Dave

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So I understand tickets are now $1 rather than $0.50.  But can I still use tickets from previous years?

Correct.  The $1 tickets started last year I think.  If only I'd sunk my 401k into $0.50 tickets in October 2019.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Fucking deflation--I love it!

Amen brutha!

I always leave with extra, and I had about 80 tickets leftover from 2019, and then discovered another 40 from SOME year between 2014 and 2018, tucked away in a drawer in the RV before last year's trip (we always camp in the RV section for TX-OU every year).  So my $60 in tickets became $120!  (and it was all gone within the first 30 minutes or so, but hey, free wax cup beer).

On 9/23/2022 at 3:32 PM, Gator Dave said:

I'll lead this off with the lamest question I can think of:

What's the water filling station / water fountain situation? Do they let you bring in empty bottles to use for water?

I'll do a full report on all the fried debauchery I consume as penance.

Better question. Where’s the Seppuku Station after the OU game?

• Rage+1 1

On 9/29/2022 at 5:12 PM, Ghost of LL said:

But so are the old $0.50 tickets now worth the same as a $1 ticket?  Or are we expecting the vendors to do the conversion?

They converted.

As I explained in last year’s thread, the most transparent example is the Tower of Texas ride. Prior to 2021, that thing cost 20 coupons. Now? 10. It is true that some things did increase in cost. So for example you might run into beer that used to cost 8 coupons ($4) and now it costs 5 coupons ($5). But there’s nothing that I’ve seen that increased by 100% and anyone who says that’s what happened is almost certainly lying through their teeth about it.

And as far as previous years, yes those are all good except in cases where there was counterfeiting. That, I don’t think, has ever happened but I’ve been told that if it does, they would void the whole year’s coupons. So if enough people pulled some horseshit in 2018 (or related to coupons printed in 2018) all of 2018’s would be voided. If any of you shitheads try that, I will throw you down a goddamned flight of stairs and I’ll get away with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Continued our tradition of attending opening day last Friday, and followed it up with a Sunday afternoon visit (we have season passes and free parking on Haskell right outside the entrance).

If you have not had last year's "best of" winner the "Armadillo", you need to.  It's basically a cookie butter ice cream sandwich.  It's huge so can easily be shared by several.

state-fair-food-armadillo-980x736.jpg

From Texas Highways:

TH: It’s quite an ornate creation: a cookie butter ice cream sandwich. How did you get it just right?

JB: I worked a long time on the pastry. Funnel cake batter wasn’t right. I went to Asian grocers to find ingredients for this really light, pliable pastry. It’s kind of like a buñuelo pastry; the batter has to be exactly the right consistency and the right temperature for frying. Then I had to figure out the ice cream. Soft-serve wasn’t right, but then I found out about semifreddo, the Italian half-frozen ice cream, which was perfect. I wanted a buttery effect, so there’s cookie butter in there, along with crushed Biscoff cookies. Granulated sugar is sprinkled on top. It’s all labor intensive but everything is made ahead of time, then assembled to order.

Was unimpressed with the deep fried charcuterie.  Had a bite of the deep fried BLT; it was okay.

On 9/23/2022 at 3:32 PM, Gator Dave said:

I'll lead this off with the lamest question I can think of:

What's the water filling station / water fountain situation? Do they let you bring in empty bottles to use for water?

I'll do a full report on all the fried debauchery I consume as penance.

I didn't see any free water stations or water fountains but you can buy bottled water most areas for 2 tickets.  There are several "filling station" booths that sell soft drink refills.  I presume they also will sell you water but didn't confirm.  There's one place (the Daughters of the American Revolution building near the front entrance by the Women's Museum and the stunt dog show) that has $1 bottled water.

Edited by DDD Dad

You can take a cooler in the fair, just no booze or metal stabby stuff. Planning on taking a cheap ass lunch box cooler stuffed with waters on Saturday, partly bc the shit show that was RRS running out of water by hakf time and the food booths being insane anyhow. Just need to figure out where to hide it before goin in the game. 

1 hour ago, bluto said:

You can take a cooler in the fair, just no booze or metal stabby stuff. Planning on taking a cheap ass lunch box cooler stuffed with waters on Saturday, partly bc the shit show that was RRS running out of water by hakf time and the food booths being insane anyhow. Just need to figure out where to hide it before goin in the game. 

Wait, for real?

1 hour ago, bluto said:

No glass, either.

But yeah, finding a place to stow a cooler when you're headed into the game (or riding rides, or whatever) becomes problematic.

10 hours ago, bluto said:

Yeah, nice that the Fair is lenient on what you can bring in but any transition into the stadium is the bitch.

16 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yeah, nice that the Fair is lenient on what you can bring in but any transition into the stadium is the bitch.

Nothing like solving one problem with an even more annoying problem.

I don't know where you guys go at halftime or immediately after the game but I have never had a problem getting a beer and food at halftime (usually just beer tbh). I have time to order, receive, and consume and be back in the CB by the start of the third.

I presume my same spot also offers water but I have never asked for any that wasn't soaked in hops.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, TornACL said:

Nothing like solving one problem with an even more annoying problem.

I don't know where you guys go at halftime or immediately after the game but I have never had a problem getting a beer and food at halftime (usually just beer tbh). I have time to order, receive, and consume and be back in the CB by the start of the third.

I presume my same spot also offers water but I have never asked for any that wasn't soaked in hops.

Yeah I've never had any issue ducking out for some food or a drink at halftime and getting back into my seats.

I also like convenience, and am willing to pay for it, so I just budget in whatever amount it takes, to buy whatever food and drink I want, at the Fair.  It's not cheap, but ultimately it's just a rounding error compared to the total I spend on UT sports and other sporting events during a year.

22 hours ago, bluto said:

Water? Water makes you weak. 

Will cross-post on the bball thread, but went to the Mavs Vault at the Hall of State Building it wasn't worth the time. If you are a Mavs fan you already know all this stuff anyways, and there are some game worn jerseys you can look at (is that supposed to be cool and awe-inspiring?) with the big center piece being the display of the 2011 Championship trophy. I assumed it was a high-quality replica for roadshows like this one, but this video claims it's real. 

If you are a passionate MFFL (like weirdly into the Mavs not just a big fan) you would probably like it. If you are limited on time and/or don't want to walk all the way over to that side of the Fair ground from Midway, I'd pass. 

https://www.fox4news.com/video/1124594

5 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'll be somewhere between there and the area about 200 yards to the right of the Hans Mueller tent where you can get Velvet Hammer.

You're not going to be in the food court with 20 wax cups stacked together like in past years?

49 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

Anyone have any recs for the locations for cheapest wax cup beers this year?

Beer Barn and Icehouse on the Midway both have 4 ticket beers (usually Lone Star).  Owner is a big UT fan too (and personal friend of mine).  He also owns Bowlski's in the old Lakewood Theater (for any Dallas locals).

Beer Barn is right outside the main entrance of the Cotton Bowl (by the orange 19 in the center of the map below the Cotton Bowl) in Cotton Bowl Plaza.  

Icehouse is in the center right portion of the map below on the Funway side of the Midway above the Kidway and to the right of "Pike" street.  

image.thumb.png.fdb36bfce90206869eab4686dcf7636f.png

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

You're not going to be in the food court with 20 wax cups stacked together like in past years?

Man--I've got kids now.  So I don't have time to drink that much beer; I've got to maximize my alcohol intake as efficiently as possible.  So that means Velvet Hammer.

Just took coupin inventory at 132.  Asked my wife how we had so much left over and she said something about I was so pissed off, all I wanted to do was leave. Sounds like something I would do.  I'll make up for it...my math says I have a 33 4 coupin beers!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone have the Thursday discount code?? I signed up for the Big Tex insider, but haven’t gotten my email yet. It lowers the price to $10 per ticket on Thursdays

The food court has two different spots that are 4-5 tickets per beer. The Cajun spot that has the boudin balls and then the Greek/gyro joint are my go to’s and where I’ll be camped from 0730 until 10 when the stadium gates open