22-23 Fantasy League

Baboontyme

big reason i don't like keepers: my team has chet holmgren for the next 15 years if we want him. that's dumb. if we do end up sticking with keepers (please no) then i would definitely propose some changes, like only having one keeper instead of two, and having your keeper be no later than round 6 or so.

last year was the first season of this league that i didn't finish either first  or second, and/or win the regular season, so again, the change to keepers has been a good one for me, but a huge part of what makes fantasy fun is the challenge of it. with the nba talent pool being so deep and under our current keeper rules, it's a helluva lot less challenging when every team is getting top 2-3 round talent in rounds 8 and later every year. it just cheapens it for me. 

off the top of my head i remembered that durdy drafted bennedict mathurin, so i just went and checked to see what pick he was. durdy got him in round 17. mathurin is currently averaging 20.4 ppg, 4.3 reb, 2.1 ast, and 2.6 3pm, in just 27 mpg. all of his his numbers project to go up for the foreseeable future, and as things stand durdy can draft him in the 16th round next year, and the 15th round after that, and so on and so forth for the next decade+. does that actually sound fun to anyone here?

and it's not like durdy's situation is a one-off. we're all going to have our own bennedict mathurin's who we can keep ad infintum. beyond that- and this is another spot where i really megaloathe having keepers- the entire season/everyone's teams get totally changed towards the very end when the shitty teams trade away their best players for some injured keeper. it's happened every year. we get ti the final stretch and someone trades a guy who's been out for the entire season for a top 15 player or three. again, that just cheapens the entire experience. it's like playing with training wheels and loopholes. i just hate it compared to the way this league was before we started doing keepers.

One of the things that a fantasy football league I play in does to combat this is to cap years of ownership. For example, the league states that the year you draft someone, is year one. You can keep the person for three years and then must drop them.

No round lost on the keeper. If drafted in round 6, then they will be a round 6 keeper the next two years if you keep them.

This gives a nice perk to drafting someone valuable, but will not let you run with them for years on end. This also adds an element to drafting based on potential, which adds a layer. You also have to figure out if this person is a year one stud or do you let them slide a bit because they might be a year one project.

Not saying that this is the best method, but it was a happy medium for those in favor, and those who opposed, keepers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

when i was changing the league settings for our 8-team league this year i set a trade deadline- i want to say march 20th or something. i'll propose that if we continue using keepers that we employ a keeper trade deadline, one that is much earlier than the final trade deadline. the practice of having multiple teams going on fire sales at the end of every season is just something we can't keep doing. in fact i'll propose we institute that for this season. again, it undermines both the fun side and the competitive side of fantasy sports to have a last minute arms race/fire sale at the end of every season.

can we agree that anyone who gets traded after the all star break can't be a keeper, or something similar to that? maybe a keeper has to go back the other way as well? just something ti eliminate these wildly imbalanced trades that have been taking place at the end of every season.

So we had this issue in my FF league. I use the word "issue" lightly because most didn't really think it was a problem but a new rule didn't hurt anyone. It is a long-standing 30+ year auction league with some original members still in the league. It is a one player keeper league. People that are having a shitty season will make a big trade for a next year keeper. In fact I'm in the process of trying to do it right now. I believe it is incumbent on the trader to not shit on the league by offering a terrible trade. It would not happen in our league but I understand that is slightly different than a league comprised of Internet randos. What we did is we made a rule that the player value against the auction cap does not reset if you trade for a keeper so it slightly devalues keepers from the outside. Keeper cost escalates by $5 each year similar to what Capn said. So I could trade for CMC but to keep him next year is gonna cost me $50 because he's already been kept 3x (first year keeper cost is 35). In the past it would have reset and I could have kept him for 35, the logic being next year would be the first year that *I* would be keeping him. It was open season on the trade market though because you could get the top 5 ADP type of guys in a trade every year. Somewhat similar. 

What I would propose is a couple of things. I like the escalating cost for keeping the same guy idea. I also think you can de- incentive the appeal of keepers to other teams. Like maybe if a keeper is traded there's a 3? round penalty. Or their league fee goes up $25 😄. Just my .02.

instead of a cap on the round you just cap how long you can keep the guy. I say a max of 2 keeps. So you draft him and can keep him for two more years at a cost of 2 draft rounds higher each year. So if you draft a guy in the 10th, next year keep for an 8th, and then his final keep is round 6 for year 3. Year 4 he returns to the pool. 

in football i would agree, but in basketball there is no shortage of "diamonds in the rough" every year. for example, looking at the top 25 on PR right now:

•the no.9 overall player was drafted in the 10th round

•no.12 was drafted with in the 16th round

•no.13 was drafted in the 15th round 

•no.15 was drafted in the 15th round 

•no.16 was drafted in the 10th round

•no.25 was an UDFA

its like this every year in basketball. it would be one thing if one or two team owners were finding those diamonds in the rough and being rewarded for them, but what actually happens is that every single team is able to draft or add at least one if not 2-3 of these guys, and you end up with a bunch of guys going 7, 8, 9, 10+ rounds after they should every year. again, to me that's cheap, and neither fun nor rewarding. there's very little skill involved, and in fact if you simply pay attention youyour can probably get two UDFA keepers every single year if you want to. if the guy you find is truly a diamond in the rough then he'll be a great value at round 6 or 7. finding a guy you want to keep in rounds 10-16 is no challenge at all. 

Edited by shadow_operative

51 minutes ago, BallamaticBevo said:

to not reward owners who find diamonds in the rough is insane to me. Literally what sports is about. 

Agreed and I like how you have to weigh when to draft guys that tore their ACL in March or whatever. 

I'm fine with no keepers. Sounds like capping how many times you can keep would be a nice compromise, though. 

Oh - also - wanted to submit my first grievance for ESPN listing someone as O all fucking day until game time (fortunately both guys this happened to had shitty games). 

my proposal is this:

Change keeper rule to 2 rounds earlier (vs current 1)

Cap keeper at 3 years. Every additional year kept is another 2 rounds up in the draft. (So you draft Chet in Round 17. You can keep him the following year for a 15th. You can keep him the next year for a 13th and the next for an 11th and then you have to let him go)

If you acquire a keeper in a trade it's a 4 round earlier tax. So if you trade for Chet this year and you want to keep him, you're keeping him for a 13th. If you trade for him next year and he was kept for a 15th by whoever drafted him, it's going to cost you an 11th the following year if you want to keep him. 

11 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Every additional year kept is another 2 rounds up in the draft. (So you draft Chet in Round 17. You can keep him the following year for a 15th. You can keep him the next year for a 13th and the next for an 11th and then you have to let him go)

If we do this I'd suggest allowing keepers to be drafted in the first two rounds. 

Also we don't need to figure any of this out now. I'm assuming some folks might feel differently about certain rules closer to next year's draft. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i brought the categories over here with me from another league like a dozen years ago or something, back when nobody got TDs lol. turns out we were ahead of the times. these H2H categories were all i knew of fantasy hoops when this league was first started. i think it was me and BO who started it, and so we just went with those same categories. 

Holy shit I'm so over these fucking "every team plays in the same night" nights. 

I swear we've had like 3 of these in the past 2-3 weeks. 

Obviously it affects everyone equally, I'm not complaining about that. I'd just rather not spend a bunch of time trying to figure out who to play and who to bench. 

Holy shit I'm so over these fucking "every team plays in the same night" nights. 
I swear we've had like 3 of these in the past 2-3 weeks. 
Obviously it affects everyone equally, I'm not complaining about that. I'd just rather not spend a bunch of time trying to figure out who to play and who to bench. 

It is easy for me. I always have five guys out, so I just sub in whoever the fuck decides they want to play that night. That is until they get scratched two minutes before the game. Then I am screwed.
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...

i'm in second to last place and i have three guys on my team who are under 25% owned, and that doesn't include john wall (47%) who still only plays 15-25 mpg and has regular nights off. other teams in this league don't even have guys they feel comfortable dropping and i'm out here depending on these scrubs. i needed to make a move.

vassell and klay were doing nothing for me and meant nothing to me. this trade helps me in both rebounding categories, plus blocks and fg%. i traded away the best player in the deal, but my team just got better. 

also, i'm usually good for two or three of these trades every year. i can never just sit still. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

I might have to explore some trades myself even though I'm not a big trade guy. This league is getting stale. The difference between guys on rosters and guys on the wire is stark. Even with my my IR full it doesn't make sense rotating out more than maybe one spot at a time. I'm just setting lineups and praying my guys play well and stay healthy. 

Collins and Poeltl being out at the same time for extended run has really fucked me. I'm going to drop 10 cats this week. Seems like the variance in cat scores week to week is pretty wild. 

40 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

2DA8596D-B4F2-40E2-B525-9904C136F728.thumb.jpeg.492dd1cfc062a50b40b7b0f53d2d6be4.jpeg

all season long this is what my roster looks like. never had a season like this before. my healthy players better watch out. they're probably next.

My team has been relatively healthy but I'm taking a fucking bath this week. 

Also - I'm not counting Chet for you 😅

i had a buddy hit me up at the very last minute to see if i would join this league that he's in, so i said sure. it's a points league, and they've got some really crazy rules and restrictions that make it tough, but whatevs. not only am i 3-3 while being  2nd in the league in scoring, here's my injury situation over there:

9C63717A-0A98-47A0-BE87-209391CB2DBF.thumb.jpeg.1649f63e5bec37b0c5edf59eaf262780.jpeg

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886kchxihwkfeptvicy3g

fun stuff this year. 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No doubt you are having worse luck than others in that department. I felt the same way for the first 3-4 weeks but my luck has been better lately. The load management is off the charts it feels like. Very few of these guys other than the guys who we drafted who we knew were going to be out awhile are actually injured. BI is just like no man I have a headache from smoking too much weed so I'm going to skip these 3 games. It's gone way past the second night of b2bs on the road. It's unpredictable. 

I feel like this is doldrums time for the Association. The care is at a season low for competitive teams. It will pick up after Christmas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

The load management is off the charts it feels like.

This and you have shit like the Spurs keeping guys out of games to lose. It's really frustrating. Makes me respect the dudes that are playing every night. I think 34 year old KD is leading the league in minutes. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

ive been doing fantasy basketball since 2009, and i don't think i've ever had a night like last night:

LeBron: 18/27

Markkanen: 16/24

Lavine: 15/20

Vucevic: 9/16

Sabonis: 12/12

Ckarkson: 8/12

Okongwu: 8/11

my boys were bussin last night! 119/190 from the field. now that's more like it.

Yeah that's pretty nuts. I have so many volume guards and wings that there's a bit of a ceiling on my FG%. Went through and found the highest FGM games I've had. 

This was 107/201 for 282 points 

Screenshot_20221231_093904_Fantasy.thumb.jpg.22de5fcebe0edfe10be8228031c92fd9.jpg

100/198 for 274 points 

Screenshot_20221231_094102_Fantasy.thumb.jpg.bec0f541aaadab89689ecc72237d2b38.jpg

106/204 for 259

Screenshot_20221231_094835_Fantasy.thumb.jpg.43c205cfb5e36500cad8974a15fb208d.jpg

Interestingly all within a few weeks of each other. 

• Like 1

71/8/11.

I'd feel worse if I wasn't playing a team with no shot at the playoffs. 

And DeMar had 44. 

To clean this comment up a bit: that was 314 from 12 players. 110/202 FG.

@shadow_operative that crazy night you just had you had 302 from 13 guys. 

That's probably my high point of the season. Can't wait to bomb out of the playoff race. Pour one out for my team. 

Edited by ztejas

On 12/26/2022 at 9:42 PM, ztejas said:

Not sure who Rick James Bitch is but you didn't set your lineup today.

As much as I appreciate it I'm not interested in handouts.

Dude seriously wtf is this. 

Screenshot_20230108_230741_Fantasy.thumb.jpg.18d6c2d205596c7cf347c995f9ac0644.jpg

Screenshot_20230108_230728_Fantasy.thumb.jpg.d29a67d70846382c9edbbe0e8103e995.jpg

I mean... thanks? Seems a little early in the season to punt the 3 seed. 

Edited by ztejas

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing like having 1100 fucking points dropped on you in back to back weeks. 

Any players gunning for the scoring title come play my fantasy team. 

@shadow_operative believe we are tied for 4th now. 

Actually I think we're tied for 3rd and James is in 5th by 1 game.

So the last 2 spots for the playoffs right now are contested by 3 teams all within a game of each other. 

Edited by ztejas

• 2 weeks later...

feels like we should reconvene on the keeper/trade deadline talk. in years past, a team like mine might trade chet holmgren for 2-3 healthy players as we head into the playoffs,  it i think the consensus was that that feels cheap and that we should set some rules about that type of trading. i also seem to recall conversations about changing which rounds guys can be kept in, how many rounds they move up each year, etc.

so, should we implement a trade deadline? and what type of rules/stipulations might we add to trading IR keepers for healthy players?